Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Default Absolute answers when there's no absolute

Okay.....

People who give absolute answers when there *isn't* an absolute answer.

"Can I chew gum in the pool" will generate 2 absolute answers "No! Or you will be thrown overboard immediately" or "Yes, in fact they pass it out at the steps" Both posters will assure the original poster that they are "experts" either because they have cruised 55 times in the last year, or (and apologies ahead of time to all you reputable, RELIABLE TA's) they are a TA! Sorry, but I've seen more bad advise - just out and out WRONG information given out - by so called TA's.

I try to share my experiences, which admittedly could be one time experiences, or actual policy of the cruiseline. When someone asks a question that is addressed in a cruise brochure, I quote the brochure.

I love the CM Staff board, but it bugs me when people who aren't even staff post incorrect info. I wish some people would start their answers with "In my opinion" or "It's been my experience that..."

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Absolute answers when there's no absolute

I read every piece of advice I get on CM as from people who have "experienced" something and only that. I take their experience and make my own mind up from it.

So I agree, when people post their thoughts and feel they are justifying or making it more powerful "as being a TA", that switches me off and I usually ignore or react to the post since most of their opinion is based on feedback from their clients or what the official lines tell them is the reality.

Nice one Dorothy
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Admiral

You're right, Dorothy! Or maybe, on second thought, you're wrong. Well, let me say that you're absolutely either one or the other. Seriously, you bring up a good point IMO. Many folks cavalierly pass off their opinions as statements of fact. I guess that we simply have to understand that we mustn't believe everything we read. With that thought in mind, I'm not even certain that I believe what I've just written above.<S>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A VERY good point Dorothy!! Even if someone's post sounds like they are the ultimate source or authority on a topic, you should be a bit sceptical, and look for confirmation from other sources.

Heck even the staff, though we may think we are right, may be accidentally passing on incorrect information. (We're hired more for our good looks than what we know <G>)

And when that happens, hopefully another staff member or poster jumps in to correct us.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks guys (I do still have a few brain cells apparently - even though I am the mother of a teenager....).

After you're around awhile you know which posters you can rely on for information and which you probably can't. I just feel for the new posters who don't know.

It's not that I don't want to *hear* someone's opinion, just not when it's passed off as hard fact.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

People who speak in absolutes will always, at some point, be wrong. <VBG>

Dorothy, I agree with you. I think that many times most people are guilty of this but there is nothing wrong in others pointing out an error.

The other thing we all have to pay attention to is making sure we state things the way they are and not the way we think they should be.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: Re: Absolute answers when there's no absolute

Mike, you are absolutely right!
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

Why is it that people who always have a complaint about other people's answer's will add, "The way I do is......." My first day here and I must say......no offense to anyone but...there's an awful lot of perfect (except for being judgemental) people here.

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Justgr8fl, stick around - you'll find it's a great place, with very few people who think they are "perfect." However, this IS the gripes board, so you will hear.....well.......gripes.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

Yes I thought about it and I was out of line.....sorry

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Admiral

This thread is perfectly awful and I absolutely agree with everyone lol - good point Dorothy - I guess we just have to pick and choose from among all the answers and take comfort knowing the right one is out there somewhere. Personal perspective is a strange thing - one sees it one way - the other totally opposite. That being said I had most of my questions answered before our first cruise - which was really great for a newbie. ttfn Jennifer
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:52 AM
Cactuscruise

I take all the info given on these boards with a grain of salt...alright the whole shaker. I find at times everyone (including the "staff" and me) gives out incorrect information. I don't think it's done puposely, it's that people answer from their own experiences and every experience is different. Sometimes they forget, are confused or just 'think" they know the answer. People will answer a question about a cruise line based on experience with another line. When I want hard and fast answers I go to the source, the cruise line or tour operators printed material. If you ask ten cruise line reps the same question on the same day you'll probably get nine different answers. I started reading the boards for information, now I read them for entertainment but I have to say after being away from them for a few months, they're not so entertaining anymore. They'e taken on a rather nasty tone.