Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Default Cabin Stewards that barge in on you

We were in the cabin during the day, we often spend time there, and we did not have the make up room insert in the door, and the cabin attendant barged right in without knocking or calling out first

Old January 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Cabin Stewards that barge in on you

They're lucky they didn't get a big surprise!! MY hubby would have did something really embarrasing just so they wouldn't do it again. (I'm leaving the details out so Jim doesn't slap my hand/keyboard).

Holiday May 2000
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM
pg

I've never had that happen, it would be embarrassing!
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:10 PM
First Mate

I wasn't completely dressed so it was a shock for everyone, especially me.

Old January 14th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

A cabin steward did that to my mom on the Sovereign. I was in the bathroom so I heard it all. I thought it was funny, but my mom didn't. The poor cabin steward was so embarassed.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM
First Mate

I didn't think it was funny. I imagine you wouldn't have if it had happened to you either.

Old January 14th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you turn the security lock/knob on your door the cabin stewards can't open it!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 14th, 2005, 09:27 PM
First Mate

I know that now Kuki, but they sould at least knock before entering a guests room

Old January 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Captain

Usually, there is a "Privacy Please" or "Do Not Disturb" sign to hang out in addition to the "Make Up Room" sign. When I want privacy from the cabin steward for any reason (at my age, it is usually to sleep!) I always hang out that sign, and have never been bothered.

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Admiral

I once had a cabin attendant who, unfortunately, never barged in on me....

Boy was Olga sweet! <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Cabin Stewards that barge in on you

Thomas, I'll bet tried to leave the door open a bit lying on the bed in your bright red velvet loin cloth!!

banker

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If you don't let the stewards know somehow that you DON'T want your cabin made up, they will eventually come into your cabin. It is their job. It is the responsibility of the passenger to make sure the Do Not Disturb sign is on the door to alert the steward that you are not yet ready to have your cabin made up. Sorry you were embarassed, but things happen. There is some culpability on your part in this instance.

Old January 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM
First Mate

Lisa,

Your blame the victim mentality is interesting to say the least. Would you blame an abused wife for her abuse by telling her she is somehow responsible? Would you tell a rape victim that they were somehow responsible for the rape? Cabin stewards as well as the maid service for every hotel I have ever stayed at are all trained to KNOCK before entering any room. This did not happen in my case. That is not my fault, I cannot control the actions of others nor do I try to. If he had knocked my husband or myself would have certainly responded, but he did not.

As far as the Do Not Disturb sign, the signs on this ship easily turn around whenever someone walked by the door. The purser was the one that advised me of this. The cabin stewrds are aware of that as well and still it is policy that they knock first before entering any rooms, even if the make up my room sign is on the door, because it is still possible that the sign could have inadvertantly been turned around.

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
tinna

this is not rocket science, just make sure you put the proper sign up so there could be no more problems. plain and simple.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

I was a cable tv tech and would troubleshoot problems in hotels and motels that would require I go into multible rooms. To do this I would be led by the manager or the maintenance person and they ALWAYS knock and call out......."Manager"....or...."Maintenance".

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
First Mate

Thank you justg8fl. I believe that there are those on this board that are missing that point altogther.

Old January 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Captain

tamie:

It is a shame that the signs on the ship you were on could be changed so easily and accidentially. Clearly a design flaw there! A post above caused me to recall that on all of our cruises, the steward/stewardess would knock (or ring a doorbell) and anounce himself/herself before entering, regardless of what sign (if any) was in place. The more I think about it, I just don't understand why this wasn't done on your cruise.

Sorry,
Richard
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Tamie,
All you had to do is LOCK the door, or even put the do not disturb sign up.

Maybe they did knock and you didn't hear it.

Your post to Lisa is ridiculus.

We are talking about someone opening a door that you forgot to lock or put the DND sign on not rape.
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM
First Mate

So you are saying that this was my fault? It is the cruiselines policy that anyone working for them knock before entering any passengers room and the cabin steward did not! I have stayed in many hotels and not once did anyone from the cleaning service ever walk into the room without knocking. Since the door automatically locks and the only way to open the door is with a room key, if the steward had followed policy this would not have been an issue.
Your downplaying what took place is ridiculus. A rape victim feels violated just like someone that finds out that they were a victim of voyeurism. Even people that are victims of a burglary that were not even home at the time, feel violated. Whether, this was accidental (which I am sure it was) it does not change the feeling of violation. Also, blaming me for someone else's actions of not following company policy is not right. I cannot control anyone else's behaviour other than my own. I did not put out a sign inviting someone to come into my room without knocking, nor did I leave the door standing open. If you read earlier posts then you would have seen that the sign flipped around on the door handle, so you can use it if you want privacy, just keep in mind that it may actually be showing the other side after you shut your door. As far as the deadbolt goes whether it was not locked still does not excuse anyone for not knocking first especially when it is company policy to do so.

Old January 19th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

okay, in my opinion, the bottom line is that I think it is polite regardless of who or where you are to knock, and not open a door to a room or office (whatever) unless invited to do so by the proper occupant.

I believe this to be especially so on a ship because I believe the staff would be particularily mindful of the ramifications of not doing so.

Locking the door, or placing a sign is a secondary precaution, and not doing so does not negate the impropriety of entering without being invited, or making sure by ringing the bell or calling out that no one is in the room.

banker

Old January 20th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Tamie - all I can say is chill out. All I am saying is that is would have been very easy for you to prevent any entrance (wanted or unwanted) into your cabin if you had posted the correct placard on the door (and excuse me if I forgot about the deadbolt and the other non openable lock on your cabin door.) Yes, the room steward should have knocked; but you gave them NO SIGN that you were still in your cabin and did not want to be disturbed. Some of the fault for this is yours whether you choose to acknowledge this or not. I never unlock the deadbolt until I am ready to leave the cabin - I do value my privacy and safety. Do you think the room steward was not as embarassed as you in this situation? So, I guess you would rather be angry at a mistake rather than accept that a minimal amount of responsibility for this incident rests on your shoulders.

Post Edited (01-21-05 00:32)
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Tinna,

Yes, i do like to hear myself talk
I like to force other people to listen as a means of turture
So what's your phone number _

Old January 20th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Admiral

The rules are simple on that cruiseline, the steward is supposed to knock prior to entering the cabin. Those little cards that say 'make up room' or 'do not disturb' mean nothing as there are those individuals that think it funny to remove or change them. Yes you can deadbolt your door every time but that is a bit of a pain IMHO. People react in differant manners to things like this. Some honestly could care less, others get very upset with it and we have to respect them both. I personally would tell him he was wrong and next time he better knock. If my wife was undressed I would chew his butt royally and inform the Purser which was what I suggested to Tamie when she privately asked my advice. Stewards have a hard job and do it well and mistakes do happen but the husband was standing almost beside the door when the steward entered so he knows there was no knock. That is unsatisfactory in any business when you rent or contract a room/cabin/apt, or whatever.
Jim

Old January 21st, 2005, 02:06 AM
Admiral

Jim - the deadbolts are there for a reason. It may seem an unnecessary second step to insuring privacy and security, but if one is that concerned about that issue, then yes, you do need to take that second step for your own peace of mind. I have never found that to be a burden to do. It does prevent anyone from entering your cabin without permission. I am sorry that this happened, but some small amount of blame has to be place on the OP. I never fall asleep in a hotel/motel/resort/ship without using that extra lock. jmho.

Old January 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM
Zack

I agree with Tamie. They should knock and the often don't. The "proper" sign can be changed by those passing by either by accident or on purpose by some of the lovely well-behaved teens (brats) and or pre-teens on board. We spent an entire cruise without "do not disturb" tabs and some kid now has a large collection. After a few days we got tired of requesting replacements.

When the policy is that they knock before entering, you shouldn't have to have the dead bolt in place. My wife was taking a shower while I went for coffee and one of the knot heads barged in. Had she used the deadbolt, I wouldn't been able to get in when I returned.
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM
First Mate

Dartoid,

I never once said a wife abusers job was to abuse. I never once said that a rapist job was to rape. I never even inferred it. Go back and work on your reading comprehension.

I did say that it is the job of the cabin steward to knock before entering a room. The cruiselines also say the exact same thing. It is their policy that the cabin stewards knock before entering any room, no matter what. So it is the job of the cabin steward to knock before entering a room and in this case the cabin steward did not do his job. It is his responsibility to do his job within the guidelines of his companys job decription and how the company instructs him to do so. If any works for any company and they do not do this then there is a problem with the employee and either his ability to conduct his job according to the companys policy's and guidelines or the employee just does not care and should be terminated.

My gripe is that this did happen and it would not have happened had the cabin steward followed the companys policy. He did not.

As far as the lock goes, reread the entire thread and you should be able to figure it out. If you can't, refer back to my earlier suggestion.

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Sad that so many people want to blame or or abuse the victim. AS reported, they were BOTH in the room and not napping but changing clothing. The husband was beside the door and did not hear a knock even though they were in a quite room. The steward is at fault, not the passenger. The steward violated policy and embarassed a guest. That is unsatisfactory. People do take this invasion differantly and how ever they take it is legitimate and should not be made fun of. I don;t think the steward meant anything not should they draw and quarter him but it serves as a reminder that knocking befopre entering IS the policy and needs to be followed. The head of the Houosekeeping also needs to remind his staff to do this ALL the time. I have seen many stewards knock on the door and listen for a response even when there is a sign on the door that says Olease Clean My Room, to me that is a responsible steward.
Jim

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Dartoid,

Interesting that your first post is now missing. However, I see that you have now changed what you are saying about my logic. Of course it seems you somehow must still think that your logic is unflawed and that I still consider somehow that an abuser or rapist is somehow doing that because it is their job. I still think that you need to reread the entire thread and try to comprehend what was being said because at this point taking one or two quotes and running with them without considering the conversation in its entirety distorts what was being said.

Old January 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Admiral

In case anyone is wondering what happened to those posts they were vicious and personally attacked another poster and were deleted. That type of post is not allowed and the poster knows it as this has happened in the past and been explained to him. Unless the poster learns how to discuss something openly and within reason and the TOS those posts will be deleted. That is the standard of these boards and will remain so.
Jim

Old January 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Sai

Frankly I didnt see any vicious attack. The guy sharply questioned saying rape and violation for a pretty simple mistake I think. And I think hes right. Yes he should have knocked and yes the door should have been locked. Who doesn't do that? All i saw as an attack on faulty logic not a person and I dont see why that guys posts were deleted.