Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tattoos

Okay if its Henna tattoos fair enough, and not what I thought was presented to me.

But still, it is what Carnival are and what they are offer it, fine It suits their market, but not for me.

PLEASE people who are starting cruising and dont have the experience of choice please remember that Carnival is Carnival they do it their way...........enough said
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Admiral

"PLEASE people who are starting cruising and dont have the experience of choice please remember that Carnival is Carnival they do it their way...........enough said
.... DavidB

All cruiselines, and all businesses do it their way. It's free market economics and the market decides who's doing it right.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Yes, Thomas I agree, and that comes down to personal choice.

I know quite a few people who's first experience of cruising was on Carnival and it nearly put them off cruising for life.

Experience of different lines is great, but costs money.

For first time people you will either fit in with the Carnival scene or not. And it may leave you feeling that all lines are over the top "party ships" with noise that you can hear on other ships berthed nearly a mile away.

Experienced cruisers know exactlly what they are getting when they book a line.

I'm not saying one is wrong or right, both have markets, but it is not a reflection of other lines available.

So newbies, read boards like CM and gauge where you would feel more comfortable, just read the stories and questions asked and answered, before you book
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

DavidB,

Interesting point. I like to party but still did not care for the Carnival atmosphere. I guess it is like this, I would rather get drunk at a nice cocktail party with other college educated professionals with all their teeth than at a NASCAR race with a bunch of rednecks. I would rather hangout at the Marriott than the Days Inn. I would rather drink wearing my resort casuals than in jeans tanktops and showing my tattoos. I like to party but with class. Maybe that is the difference.

I know these may be generalizations but they are my opinions too. Bash me if you want but I am with you DavidB.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Whoa Dave! NASCAR rednecks with no teeth! I have been a stock car fan fo over 40 years now and even knew a number of the "old timers". Back then yes you had the blue-collar types that worked out of their garage, chewed tabacco and drank moonshine. Back around 1990 it really started to change to the buisness suit, excutive meetings, corporate adgenda's and wine and cheese types! I know, I was racing myself then and doing not only the driving and garage work but also the business part of getting sponsors to pony up the big bucks so that I could be competitive. Yes there still are some in the lower income bracket and those in the upper income braket that are rude and/or ignorant, but there is a huge number that are quite polite and considerate and hard-working of all income brackets involved in NASCAR now. Nowadays, these folks need to understand what 'High Tea' is and have a Tux ready and manners to attend Black Tie events at the drop of the hat! <VBG>
Jim (who hasn't had a chew of 'bacco for 30 years!)

Old February 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Horses for Courses, my friends

Just make sure someone picks the right course for you to run on........ and they do have tattoos (horses) <g>

Sorry, that was a Brit saying to make help present my view "horses for courses",,, and comes from the racing track

Roughly translated as:-

Place yourself in the environment you will be happy with, it will suit some and not others, but never all that turned upů
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. (I don't think) Sometimes I am accused of stereotyping. In any case, most of what I say has to be taken with a grain of salt anyway. I have also been called cheeky at times. DavidB will know that one.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Admiral

this seems to be a pretty controversial subject. Doesn't it?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to snowyowlone

I have a tatto. Before I got mine I thought about it for a very long time. Then I found the right picture and had it done. Then over the years I decided that I wanted more then just a tattoo, so I designed a wildlife picture to include what I already had. It took me about four years to have it done. ( a lot of thinking went into it). So now I have a wildlife print on the side of my calf. I want to add to it so it goes around my leg but I'am out of ideas so I'll have to wait til the right idea comes along. It now has one horse, three wolves, one eagle and has mountains in the backround. I get a lot good comments on it. My dh does not have any, but he helped me with the ideas. I guess it goes for the old saying " Do'nt judge the book by it cover."

Mardi Gras 5X in the 80's
Holiday 93
Legend 03
Pride 2-1-04
Sensation 2-21-04
Valor 1-29-06
Next cruise 6-16-2010 on the Miracle!!!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
happy ks

Years ago I had a brief desire to get a tattoo, but since I could not decide what in the world I would be happy with for the rest of my life, I refrained. I'm very glad I did, just for me, not anyone else. Now, my teenage son is desiring a tattoo, something I don't wish him to decide on until he is much older and really knows what he wants. For now, I keep telling him, since he wants to be "different" from other people (which I do admire) that not getting a tattoo would be the different thing to do. Once something becomes so mainstream, it no longer makes an impact on originality.

I love art and I do admire a tattoo once in a while. Especially if you can really see it and not a conglomeration of different applications. I have no opinion of people who get tattoed and I know many fine people who have them. I just hope for their sakes they do not regret their choices.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:23 AM
barbg

I too have tattoos, yes more than 1, I am a hard working wife mother of 2.. and a NASCAR fan!! I live in new york, on the north shore of Long Island. I got my first tattoo when I was 18 and my second when i was 35. I have been a racing fan for over 15 years.. We are upper middle class. as for the redneck thing some of those people can be the most giving careing people you could ever want to meet!! and as for tattoos they are self expressing if you don't like it then don't look. i am getting ready for my first cruise and hope not to meet the opionated, judgemental people who choose a book by its cover..
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

so dave the wave,you are saying that people with tats are trashy people.well you can't call tats trashy without calling the people that they are on trashy.I have 7 tats my self all on my arms so I guess I'M trashy by your standards. well as fars as fads,some may,but I have had mine for over twenty years (x navy) and have never a day regretting anyone of them,and to tell you something when both my sons turned eighteen they wanted to get one for their birthday and guess what I paid for them.I will check out the tat parlor for cleanliness and sterilization before hand and will also talk to others who have had tats done at that parlor to see the work done.
it never stops to amaze me what people can find to complain about,if you have tats you must be trashy,if you smoke your this and that.heck I'll bet if someone said they drove a ford and not a chevy we could get a whole bunch of names flowing on this site about that.I mean come on people should really take a good look at themselfs fist.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Sorry Paul, nothing personal. I drive a Honda.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

DTW, my friend you are what you are and I love you for it and not in a funny fudge packing sort of way. You are what you are, as am I and everyone else who gripes here.

Acceptance of others,,,,people that is the answer

Actually, cant believe this stuff has gone this far, but hey its gripes!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Well, I am glad about that DavidB. My only real gripe is that I have to wait 3 months until I cruise and then another 6 after that to go again. So in the meanwhile, I come here to fantasize about it, read reviews, look at pictures and have a bit of fun. I don't mean any harm really. Sometimes we just don't all share the same views. That is what makes the world go 'round.

Meanwhile, I think I will go get in my pick-up truck and get me a new tattoo of my favorite NASCAR driver........

BTW, did you know what NASCAR stands for? Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

Now I am ducking for cover......

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

this is funny

dave, in appearance I am about as conservative as one could be, but forget nascar, who watched daytona?

DavidB - you just love using the word sh..it everywhere now - don't you

appearance is "usually" indicative of a person, but not always. So, if you judge someone by the way they look, even though you are probably right, you are not always right. So if you judge, then you could be wrong, which makes it wrong to judge, because judging will make you behave in a way which may not apply to that person, because they could be one of the ones that do not fit the "image" that look portrays. okay, I've confused myself again,

I'm very clean cut , no tatoos, very short hair, grey and blue suits everyday, come from a family of professionals, drive a Hummer, ski a lot, golf, love cruising, own guns, love racing, and am a total sci-fi geek and act very goofy all the time. Which one of those things would someone look at to identify me as a certain kind of person? So all of these things apply to me, which one would you use to judge me? Am I the hummer driving sci-fi geek, or the goofy banker?

banker

Post Edited (02-23-05 15:47)
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Admiral

No, Banker. You are the gun totin', NASCAR fan who drives a truck that is too big to be useful, guzzles gas increasing our dependence on Arab oil, who thinks driving around drinking in a golf cart stopping once in while to smack a silly little white ball and calls that exercise, who is a goofy geek.

Other than all that, you are OK with me. Seriously now, I was at my brothers last night sitting by the pool have a rum and coke. We decided to go next door and invite the neighbors to the party we are having on Friday night. She said they didn't know if they could make it because they were going bowling (hah) another non-athletic sport. Then she asked if we wanted to see her balls. I SWEAR TO GOD, she had a bowling ball with Jeff Gordon #24 on it!! I fell out of my chair.....

I thought we were at Hank's place on "The King of the Hill"

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Tattoos

Just what I like, a lady with balls!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Mr. Wave, no dependence on Arab oil here, we've got plenty here in Canada. We're guzzling our own oil thank you very much......and no, my soccer twice a week and running 5K every day is exercise, golf is fun, and golf balls aren't silly.

My point is that all of those things you said are correct at one time or another, but not all the time (other than goofy geek - that's pretty accurate according to my wife)!

banker
(can I meet your neighbor? )
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Yes, you would like her. She sits on the patio, drinks Old Milwaukee, smokes cigs and likes dirty jokes. She's not bad for an older broad either. Aye?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Tattoos

Gee, and here I was thinking I might have class considering I personally know a number of big names including those for the entertainment, (I've been on TV, radio, and a couple of movies) and political field and I find out that because I drive a Dodge HEMI pick up, (4dr), ride a chopper, have tattoos, (2), and yes I have even raced in a NASCAR series for a couple years as well as flagging some races and know a few of the drivers and retired drivers on a first name basis and root for my favorites and live very near Daytona I'm nothing more than a redneck good 'ol boy hick, dang! <VBG> Oh, let's not forget that wile I don't watch 'rassling on TV there was a time that almost every other week I would go out with Ric Flair or some of the other old time wrestlers and have a late dinner after the matches. Heck, I even spent a day with good old Evil Knevil and we had a great time and later played golf! (oops, that is on the classy side, sorry <G>)
Jim

Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Nothin' wrong with bein' a good ole boy, Jim. Believe it or not, I am not perfect and have been accused of being a redneck, drink too much, should quit smoking and had a few motorcycles. I have gone bowling, played golf, worn tuxedos, been in one movie (Summer Rentals with the late John Candy), hang out in biker bars and shoot pool, pick up loose women in bars, got lucky with a celebrity once, (can't say the name of the country singers wife though), but one thing I have never done is..... Had too much fun!!!

My favorite thing to do though is to go on cruises, sit by the pool with a bucket of beers and scope out the single babes. That is why we are all here... our love of cruising. It is all in fun!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

hey I like to sit by the pool and scope out single babes and yummy mummy's too, but my wife seems to have a real problem with that, oh well......anyways

does it mean that you're a hic red neck if you watch the new re-runs of the Dukes of Hazzard and think they are an accurate depiction of everyday north american life and you relate to the very real issues that they face in every episode??

banker
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:13 PM
Admiral

I am afarid so, Banker. I used to relate more closely to "Married with Children". Al Bundy is my hero. Now that I am not married anymore, I relate more closely to Austin Powers. He is my new hero and every Halloween I get better and better at the costume, accent and lines. My favorite is after Vanessa blew up and he is holding her dismembered hand with the ring still on it and looking forlorn:

"My Vanessa, my bride, my one true love, the woman who taught me the true meaning of monogomy was a fembot all along..... wait a tick... that means I'm single again!!! Oh' behave!"

I need to get a life.....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Don Smith

This discussion about tatoos was framed by the original question...why discuss them and piercings? It is due to this that we have had this post. In my opinion...it is not art...it is rebellion. Once done, you mark yourself for the world to see. If your friends are not accepting...do not blame them...ask yourself if it was worth it. If you can answer yes, you have done a good thing.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

Well I do not plan on robbing any banks or any other reason that my tats would be a way of identifing me,I like them my wife of 25 years likes them,of course I got her name on one of my tats,but my name paul and hers paula easy to fix,but after 25 years don't think I am going anywhere.I have seven tats like I stated earlier ,but even I find some tats to be not acceptable for plan view.I personally do not believe in covering the whole body with tats,thats a little over the top(but only my point of view)
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Captain

Way too much of this thread (excluding the funny part) is evidence of what's going wrong these days. Everybody wants to impose their own beliefs, values, and tastes on everybody else. I have no tats, and don't want any. But nobody appointed me the "fashion police", so if others want and like tats, I've got nothing negative to say. NASCAR isn't my favorite form of motor sport, but if it is yours, that's fine. I drive a small American pick up, a Japanese sports roadster, and a German lux sedan. So I guess what others think of me from this depends on which vehicle I chose to drive on a given day!

From this board, I learned that not everybody looks for the same thing in a cruise that I do. In fact, some like the very things that I don't like. At first this surpised me, but it shouldn't have. This was just a good lesson learned. And nobody appointed me as "cruise police" either.

I've been on some lower cost cruises where I don't recall seeing anybody with a tatoo. And I've been on some upper-end cruises where I've seen many folks with tats. From what I can see, the fact that a person has tatoos, in itself, doesn't mean a thing --- except that the person has tatoos!

Finally, as a non-tat guy, I can't recall anybody with a tatoo ever criticising me for NOT having one. This should tell us all something.

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Thanks Richard, that last line says it all

banker
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Its great we are all what we are and accept each other, going to hand out flowers.

One point though,,,,because (banker) you have plenty of non imported gas does that make it right to drive large vehicles that are killing the earth. It smacks a bit of "well we are okay" Forget the rest
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't you guys know how they named NASCAR? Billy Bob was working on his car out in the front yard and Jimmy Joe walked up and started asking him questions about it, after much discussion Jimmy Joe said "Ya know Billy Bob, that is a Nass Car".