Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Tattoos

I didn't know that! I guess I am just ignorant about these things.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Tattoos

Daneen,

David, driving large vehicles that may or may not "kill the earth" as you put it may be worthy of discussion. Thank God it is just discussion, ie. we live in a free country where if someone sells it, and it doesn't directly harm anyone or their property, then you can buy one, and enjoy it.
Is this an absolute for large vehicles? At what point does a vehicle become an earth killer. How much horsepower, fuel consumption, size? Is the station wagon or mini van when used 80% of the time by one person an earth killer? How about a small fuel efficient car that uses gas, and is not a hybrid, or electric. The regular SUV? How about having more than one vehicle, (the raw material and waste of steel)? While we're on the subject, what about luxury items in general than we can do without. Isn't it a waste to produce and ship (using earth killing vehicles) luxury items.
The cruise ships we love comsume earth killing fuel, and a lot of it. I'm sure we could cruise around viking style, but we choose to enjoy our cruises.
In case it wasn't noticed I was making a joke (as usual) when I said that "we're guzzling our own gas thank you very much". I realize I drive a weapon of mass consumption. But it is my choice.

banker
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Captain

A little off topic, but the matter of whether any environmental damage is done by Hummers and other large SUV's is a bit unproven at this point. As I live in central Oklahoma with the land as flat as a billiard table and no "off roading" opportunities, I chose not to own one. But were I to move to Colorado, I would chose to own a 4WD vehicle of some sort, as there'd be a real use for it.

Those who believe there is a valid environmental reason not to own one of these have a ready remedy: just don't buy one. This goes along with my last post.. Just because I have my beliefs, values and tastes doesn't mean that everybody must, or should, share my beliefs.

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
heathere

This subject is just so funny to me. I am 24 and have 3 tattoos and my nose pierced (super tiny little stud). I work at a lawfirm in Denver, and my boss is nearly 60! Everyone perceives these things differently, but I don't ever let anyone else's opinions effect me. My boyfriend doesn't particularly care for any of the tattoos or the piercing, but I got them all when I was much younger and they were fun and I definitely don't regret them now. The nose piercing may be out by the time we cruise. I got it in June this year and am now starting to think about taking it out, but who knows, and if I don't, I wouldn't expect anyone to treat me any differently. I'm actually looking forward seeing what kind of reactions I get on the cruise. It didn't even cross my mind that someone would have something to say, but I suppose we'll see. I'll be on the Navigator of the Seas, June 4, 2005, Eastern Caribbean.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Admiral

I shudder to think of what happens when two people who have their tongues pierced indulge in French kissing. It makes me think of the locking rings trick that magicians use.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Captain

I don't know, Paul. I guess we'd just have to try it with our wives and/or girlfriends and see. But then we'd be part of the "great unwashed" ourselves. And in my case, I'm 61 years old, and it all seems a bit out of place FOR ME. For ohers? It is none of my business or concern.

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
heathere

Default Re: Re: Re: Tattoos

Haha! You did notice I said NOSE and not TONGUE ring, right? I think that tongue rings look pretty disgusting, but there again, some people think nose rings are gross too.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Admiral

My friends Banker and Richard above, I'm not getting in to this, I had my say.

If I did, it would become politcal, potentially an enfringement on what you see as your rights and would lead to the thread being deleted.

It would be a blood and guts discussion, that I in the minority in this environment could never win even though I know my scentiment is right

So lets leave it at that
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tattoos

David, I am afraid that you would have had to fight all three of us over here in the colonies.

It is better that we all have a pint together.
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Captain

Hey, guys:

No need to fight with me! BTW, due to MY personal values, I don't buy fur, don't buy diamonds, Don't hunt, don't fish, don't have tats, don't have piercings, don't cruise large ships, and don't drive an off-road vehicle. In the case of the off-road vehicle, the "value" is that I have no off-roading to do and I don't want to pay $2.00+ for gas for a 10 mile per gallon vehicle.

But I feel it is not my place to try to impose my values on others. That's all.

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Admiral

I'm in for a drink, but I'd have to get david to pick me up and drive me - I won't want to waste gas, it's too cold here to use my bike, and if I take my wife's car then she would be entitled to use my truck (which ain't happenin - not in this universe)!!

And David, we'll let you think you're right. I heard a comedian joke about protesting the overuse of fossil fuels and it being damaging to the environment - did you know you have to cut down 50 trees to make posts for demonstrator's signs to demonstrate about environmental damage!

This is all in good fun!

banker
(David, it's too boring when you agree)
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Richard, it's almost 4 bucks a gallon here and 10 miles to a gallon is with a good tail wind! We don't off-raod much (we live in the city) but I really enjoy the vehicle itself. It's a different kind of fun vs. all the previous lux german cars I've had.

You take the high ground in that you do not believe it is your right to judge anyone else, many people do judge, but even with people passing judgement and trying to force their opinions on others, our society gives us the right to ignore them, and the right to our own choice.

banker
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Captain

banker:

Oh, I see! your gasoline is priced in CANADIAN dollars! Mine, of course is priced in $USD. That accounts for most of the difference in gas prices.

Now, are your miles per gallon also in Canadian?

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Richard, 2 bucks USD is 2.50 CAD and we pay 90 cents/litre - almost 4 bucks cad per gallon - and we export the stuff - go figure!

the tail wind has to be Canadian to get 10 MPG!!!

banker
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Another "trucker" heard from - you can keep you high priced cars - my baby is built Ford Tough! kinda like me lol. Don't do any off-roading either. Come to think of it - I don't do much on-roading - but it does look nice in the driveway, and it carries lots of plants from the nursery :o) DH got a new Chrysler Pacifica - lots of bells and whistles but he's a gadget kind of guy. We are heading down to Long Beach next week. Should be fun. I map-quested the trip. Once we get across the border we head south on 1-5 for like 1,000 miles then turn right to Long Beach. At least we won't get lost lol. But his beast has a gps thingie anyway and a dvd player for the backseat - now if we just had a chauffeur - hmmm! TTFN Jennifer
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Captain

hazelson:

Though tatoo-less, I too have a Ford truck. Almost six years old, but still a very sharp small Ranger. Used the same as yours --- for landscaping and other home projects. But I'll have to be careful when I trade for a new truck. My nephew has a new "King Ranch" model of a Ford series "F -- something", and he paid more for it that we did for our Mercedes!

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Admiral

We have his and hers Buick Park Avenues which probably required a lot of energy to build. However, they both get 30 mpg on the highway using the cheapest regular unleaded we can find.

I still believe that if there were a lot less people, there would be a lot less polluting emissions coming both out of their fronts and their rears. This thread has had its share of wasted hot air.
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Jen Jen, why are you guys taking the Pacifica to cali and not the pickup? what if you feel the urge to take a couple of sheets of drywall with you??

There's a restaurant about 10 houses up the street and one guy always shows up with a beat up pickup truck (kind of a poorer version of Walton). It's got ladder racks but never seen a ladder on it. It always looks interesting parked with all the limo's and benzes.

banker
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Thats why I did not want to get into this,,,,,,, you all cannot see past the pump price for a gallon of gas,,,that is your golden child and will always be the bottom line regarding your action or reaction in the world.

I do not find a lot of debate or comment on the effect this "we must maintain cheap gas price" policy has on the environment, the ozone layer depletion, ice caps melting, increased rain and flooding etc is having on OUR world?

Put it this way if gas was not cheap, you would not be buying gas guzzlers, but some believe and strive towards doing anything to maintain that right, and I mean anything, no matter the casualties

Oooops but now we have places like Carnifornia getting more rain in one month than they would expect to get in nearly six..is that that a problem? No dont worry it must just be a freak one off thing, lets ignore it and carry on doing what we do, its not a problem, it our right.

Wake up and smell the damage people
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Admiral

"you all cannot see past the pump price for a gallon of gas,,,that is your golden child and will always be the bottom line regarding your action or reaction in the world. "

- that is a very bold statement. It is a generalization and very incorrect.

The price is not the bottom line for my action or reaction, our freedom to choose IS.

I understand a certain propensity towards fuel conservation in Europe. Your cities are so close together and the population dense (David, I don't mean dense like dense, but like population density - ). The U.K. with 60 million people is less than half the size of Ontario with 11 million people. The second largest country in the world (Canada) has a population of 30 million (less than California). We are very spread out. Public transportation etc is not always practical in our cities or our suburbs. Having said that, this does not mean we need Navigators and Yukon's to get around, but there is not as much social emphasis and scrutiny placed which vehicles we like.

So why do you focus so much on our vehicles and gas as the sole culprit for environmental damage. There are so many other things, more damaging, that Britons may do. We don't harp on those.

The generalization, and the premise upon which it was based, was wrong.

banker
(so David, ya watchin the autoclub 500 today?)
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Captain

DavidB:

Like Tatoos, the issue of environment is not simple. Here in the US, we are denied access to some very desirable cars that are sold in Europe. Some, because they do not meet US safety regulations. And some, ironically, because they do not meet US environmental regulations. Many of these cars have small and fuel efficient engines, yet they do not meet US standards for tailpipe emissions --- showing that small and fuel efficient does not always mean environmentally friendly, at least under US law.

Thanks,
Richard
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Banker -wow! I never thought of that, what if I see some great junk just sitting at the side of the highway. With all the rain, junk is just rolling down the hills in California - might even pick up a slightly damaged swimming pool. And where am I to put all that road kill for hearty winter stews? May have to rethink the Pacifica after all. DavidB - you obviously don't see the safety issues involved with Canadian driving. We need the "big rigs" out there on the Trans Canada Highway - you just never know when you might run into a rabid moose or a campaigning politician. Gotta have a great big bumper! ;O) ttfn Jennifer who's motto is Drink, (*&%, Drive a truck!
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Jenn, rabid moose or politician! hahaha!

road kill stew!!

We just cut a hole in the ice when looking for dinner!

banker
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

What does all this have to do with tattoos???

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
barbg

i was just wondering the same thing...
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Laurie Qualls

DD nineteen came home with a tattoo last year....did not tell us of course..one day the skinny little things p.j bottoms kinda slipped down and i saw a butterfly tatoo.....after i almost murdered her lol....i told her that after a couple of kids and some years that cute little butterfly will look like a demented pelican....so funny the kid is shy and hates needles......mom can't see her unless she is fully clothed...but some questionable big sweaty biker guy can stick needles around her hmmm....ahhh
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Dave the Wave, you started off relating Carnival to nascar rednecks. Although I agreed with what you were trying to say about carnival, I disagreed with the disparagment of tatoo people and nascar etc.

and besides, you can't give me an excuse to go off on a tangent and expect me not to. I go off all the time without the excuse......just ask mrs. banker

banker
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Dave the Wave - I saved all that money I would have spent on tatoos and went on a cruise :o)

Banker - I tried the "hole in the ice" thing - but them suckers in the cement koi pond out back (in the neighbours yard) didn't fry up too good. Too boney - give me a 'possum or a racoon any time! TTFN Jennifer
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Banker, all I can say is that for having 4.6% of the worlds population America produces,,,, BBC quote "As the Kyoto protocol on climate change comes into effect this week, the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, the US, remains on the sidelines."

With only 4.6% of the worlds population the US produces approx 25% of the greenhouse gases that are changing our world.

That is my pointre vehicle emissions and gas guzzlers, time to think bigger
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:17 PM
Admiral

David, think bigger??

bigger picture or bigger vehicle ?? -

Actually, this is not an epiphany but I am quite mindful of "green" issues. It's just that.....well to be honest I had an appointment to go buy a cayenne when I saw my baby, specs were a bit worse (fuel etc), but it's so hard to forego the toys....

One thing I think you missed was that the U.S. is also the largest ecomomy, largest manufacturer, producer etc, and all the related fuel and production to manufacture that stuff, and transporting to marketplaces, not to mention all the associated manufacturing of every bolt, piece of plastic, etc, (I don't need to mention)

Greenhouse gas emissions are not as appropriately associated with population as they are with these other things.

banker
(I'll wager that the stats will be quite similar here in Canada; our manufacturing and resources, comsumption and exports compared to all 2 1/2 people that live in this country)