Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Passenger

Default Tattoos

In several reviews and posts that I've read, the subject of tattoos has come up. I have two tattoos and my mom has three. At least three of my best/good friends have one or two tattoos. I don't see how my tasteful art affects anyone's life so why do people feel the need to mention tattoos and piercings?

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tattoos

Sorry, a lot people still see tattoos's and piercing as a reflection of people who are lets say trash and associate them with a trailer park person mentality etc etc.

So their big concern is that they feel that someone from that level of society has intruded into their "expensive" cruise "world" and cant understand how or why

Not my view, but you asked the question and thats the thoughts I have heard expressed around me
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Captain

I think much of this has to do with how the person otherwise presents himself/herself. I agree with David B's analysis of the situation, but I know that tatoos have risen in popularity recently in all strata of society, so they no longer mean "trash" or "biker" or anything like that. (In fact, "biker" doesn't even mean "biker" anymore. My family doctor who is a neighbor rides a Harley, and a more "conservative" man you'll never meet!) I know that we usually cruise Radisson which is a pretty upscale line, and I've noticed fellow guests with tatoos before and thought nothing of it. Of course, if somebody was onboard with tatoos AND full "goth" outfit (for example) it would stand out and be just a BIT out of place!

Hope this helps,
Richard
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

There are people who still hold on the "stigma" of days past that tatoos mean this or that. In mainstream society, that is not the case as we know. There is a harley guy and gal that live a few doors down from me. They have tatoos. He is a lawyer, and she is also a professional. On weekends, they dress up like weekend bikers, and ride around. They leave their 7 series, their viper, and their X5 in the garage. But, the one thing that may explain why cruisers may have been slower in accepting this is that (and I hope I don't offend anyone) their average age is a little higher than the general publics average age, so they may not be as accepting or understanding of things that they are not exposed to every day. Not only tatoos, but homosexuality, ethnicity, etc etc may all be things thay they dislike or are less understanding of.

banker

Old January 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks guys

My feeling is that if people are that offended by someone's personal choices, then they need to get a life!

Sarah

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM
First Mate

Well said Banker

Old January 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM
jphc318

WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK?MY WIFE HAS SEVERAL I AHVE NONE AND WE DONT WORRY.ITS YOUR VACATION NOT THEIRS AND THEY WILL PROBABLY STAY AWAY FROM YOU WHICH IS A GOOD THING!
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Admiral

My husband and I have numerous tattoos, none of which are tasteless, they are all beautiful and cute arts of work! My favorite is my sweet tiger cub on my shoulder. My husband also has a beautiful wizard's world on his leg. Just beautiful!

And yes, people who are bothered by any type of tattoo need to relax a bit more... you would not believe how many professional business women and others you would not think of having tattoos stop by the shop while I am there...

Happy cruising, all!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I feel that anyone who is offended by others who have tattoos are probably narrow-minded individuals. Tattoos can be very tasteful and artistic. I do enjoy looking at them as if they were paintings hanging on walls so hopefully people with tattoos do not mind others looking at them in a positive manner.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Yeoman

I think it's our generation! In the 60's the bikers we the ones who had the tattoo's. They were known as the bad guys. Now, when we see a person with a number of tattoos we automatically think that they are the bad guys.

My DH has a number of tattoos and he's always trying to hid them in the higher class areas and in our business. He's found that our customers will shy away from him if they see his tattoos first. Once they get to know him, he'll wear a short sleeve shirt etc. I've been with him long enough that when I see a person with no tattoo's on their back I think they look plain. I also have a tattoo and I'm a manager and a business owner. We have new trucks and a nice home. No harleys.

I guess the summary here is, people who look down on tattoo's should probably get out from under their rocks. No offence intended but it is the year 2005.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I was researching my first cruise there was a lady worried about wearing a dress on formal night because it would show her tattoo. I was so surprised she would even worry about it. If I recall correctly it was only a butterfly on her shoulder. It shocked me that she thought people would even have a problem with it.

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Tattoos

I love when people comment on my tattoos in a positive manner. I enjoy talking about them and I consider it like a beautiful piece of art on my body, just like a shirt that I feel very comfortable in or a dress that I find attractive. It's nice to know that the narrowminded people are the minority.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Passenger

I always thought that living in a Democratic society and for the freedom that we all enjoy that personal choice would be a topic especially now in this time of war that nobody would have a problem with. Many through the years have given there lives for the freedoms that we now are being critical about

LTC Dan Schoultz
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks for replying Sarah,,see it's not all bad and there are a lot of accepting people out there.

My friends above make good points re acceptance etc, its an age thing. Today for a lot of people it is normal and acceptable, me included so just be yourself.

Personally, I always wanted a tattoo when younger, but my mom went crazy and said "If God wanted your skin with pictures, I could have placed an order in advance" !!!!

See, its a generation thing (and some Moms).

ps
Happy now that I did'nt go for that tattoo of my first wifes name !!!
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Passenger

lol...my mom got hers first and my grandma wants one (but has diabetes so no go). I find it incredibly ironic. I have no qualms about calling people on it if they look at me rudely!!

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Re: Re: Re: Tattoos

I call people on it when they look at me rudely all the time!

it has nothing to do with tatoos though.....hmmmm

banker

Old January 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Mikey Sr.

Tattoos seem to be the in thing. Like every fad I guess people have to be hip and beautiful. Ten years ago everyone was smoking cigars, now they have stoped and people are breathing easier. I have to admit they do look out of place on a mature person. Why people have to keep up with what their neighbor is doing has never made much sense with me. Strange how people who put up taller fences have time enough to look over them. Well I hope jumping off building with out a parachute never become a fad. I am sure there would be a lot of takers. Peace from the ground floor.
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Admiral

I have diabetes and got a tattoo. My doctor said to be extra careful with care during healing, to rub it regularly with neosporin twice as often as recommended for a week longer than recommended. I never accept alleged diabetic taboos without checking the facts out. As far as the current topic goes, I believe there are tasteful tattoos and cheap nasty looking ones. I have a personal aversion to tattoos on the neck and face. Piercings outside of the ear and nose are gross in my not so humble opinion.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Admiral

I do not have tatoos but my husband has 4 (just on his arms) He is a very sweet, kind and gentle person, not to mention religious. When some people see the tatoos (buzzard on an 8-ball, eagle in a sun, a cross and Harley Davidson wings), they immediately get the wrong impression of him. If they do decide to engage in conversation with him, they soon discover all his wonderful qualities. As the old saying goes, "Don't judge a book by its cover". It's too bad that many people do.

Cheryl C
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Sorry, Doug. I suppose that she could get one, but our tattoo artist said that she probably shouldn't so we just go with that.

Mikey-do you assume that everyone who gets a tattoo does it because it's a "fad"?

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Who's opinion is more qualified a tattoo artist or an endocrinologist? A lot of people have misconceptions about diabetes and diabetics that are founded more in presumption than fact.

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tattoos

Calm down! I'm just telling you what he said! I was wrong about it...I'm sorry.

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl

People fear what they don't understand.

MS Noordam HAL 1987
Elation CCL 1998
Norwegian Star NCL 2003
Conquest very soon CCL
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Captain

For one thing, I have never seen a post on this or any other cruise board which complained about fellow guests because of their tatoos. So I don't think "tatoo prejudice" is a big problem among the cruise crowd. And, as I said above, more depends on how the person with the tatoos otherwise presents himself/herself than the tatoos themselves. Then, there is the question of what we mean when we say "tatoos". Are we talking about a person with one or a few tatoos, or are we talking about someone who is covered with them like the "tatoo lady" at a circus sideshow? Anybody who is shocked by a person with one or a few tatoos doesn't get out much! But I think many (including those with a few tatoos) would be shocked to see a person covered with them on a cruise.

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I am not offended by nor do I care what other people stick on or into their bodies. I don't think most tattoos are art, but that is just my opinion.

I would worry about the possibility of getting infections from body piercings or from getting tattood with unclean needles.

I do think some of the people here are posting just trying to get into an argument, and it isn
t really working.
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tattoos

Calm??????? WHO SAYS I AM NOT CALM!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Old January 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Mikey Sr.

Do I think tattoos are a fad? Yes I do.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
sea-u-later

They're quite popular among the carnival worker and prison crowd.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Just because they're popular doesn't mean that that is the reason that most people get them...

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Sorry pal, disagree there. "some" will do it for a particular reason. The rest are doing it for it being "in".

The problem with tats is that unlike the haircut I had in the 70's or 80's. I could change that very quickly, along with the dress sense then. Imagine if I had the hair and clothes permanently tatooed back then. How much more stupid would I look today?

Some fads you can change, others apart from surgery are for life !!!!!!!!!!