CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   What does the insurance really cover? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/295905-what-does-insurance-really-cover.html)

momx4 January 25th, 2005 12:50 PM

What does the insurance really cover?

We are taking our first cruise ever this July aboard Majesty of the Seas.
At first I took out the insurance that was offered us for the 2 rooms, ($147.00 per room). Then We slept on the idea. What really would it cover that my health insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Sheild) would not cover already?
So we cancelled the insuances.

Was this a good or bad move?
Anyone have any advice or experiences they can share?

DougR. January 25th, 2005 01:31 PM

Re: What does the insurance really cover?

I am not certain what your insurance covers but many policies cover plenty that is not typically covered by your health care insurance:

-Trip cancellation
-Medical Evacuation from a foreign country
-Baggage coverage above the carrierlimits

Please reconsider your choice. In 2001 I only got a refund becuase I chose to insure my cruise when my stepdaughter contracted cancer.

DavidB January 25th, 2005 03:06 PM

Momx4, I'm in the UK so what I say may not go over the pond. And I'll let my friends correct me from your side.

My experience is that insurance will cover me for cruise cancellation, lost luggage, missed flight, lost personal stuff like video cameras, gold watch, rings etc lost while on vacation,,,and for us heath care whilst in a foreign countries, like the USA or the Carib or Asia. In other words somewhere outwith my usual health cover

Its a balancing act, if health is your concern. look at your health policy and what it covers re travel. Look at your personal insurance and what it covers re valuables, does it cover outwith the home or even country???

Then compare it to the insurance being offered, what it covers outwith those areas you are already covered for or not.

And then decide if you are going to take "the risk" of not buying it or buying it. There is no correct answer to this one. With insurance it comes comes down what is being offered and do you already have it covered?

momx4 January 25th, 2005 03:47 PM

Re: Re: What does the insurance really cover?

To: Doug R

Sorry to hear about your stepdaughter. Hope she will recover soon. Keep up the faith.

I am mostly concerned only about the health asspect, not about any valueables.
I guess I need to call Blue Cross/Blue Shield and really find out.
They do have great coverage, hopefully it reaches to the Bahamas as well.
Thanks for the help.

Darcy January 25th, 2005 04:17 PM

Mom:

Many providers outside the US will not take US health insurance. You would need to pay upfront and be reimbursed by your insurance. Also, in the event of an emergency and you need to be evacuated your regular health insurance may not cover it. I purchased insurance last year for a family of 5 for about $130 (total). This covered our flights, hotel, cruise, luggage, medical, medical evacation, etc. I bought it through insuremytrip.com. You can check out several options at different costs. I highly recommend getting it. There's a recent post one on these message boards about a flight being cancelled due to the snow in the northeast this weekend. The people missed their cruise due to the cancellation and didn't have insurance. Hope this helps.

Darcy

PapaBill January 25th, 2005 04:46 PM

You don't need any form of insurance until you need it (that's like a Yogi Berra ism). What about trip cancelation, trip interuption, lost baggage , and health emergency.
We recently found our Summit Alaska cruise was delayed by 3 days (out of 14). Insurance paid us $600 towards hotel bills in Vancouver.
I have collected twice on minor health issues that were not fully coverd by my medical insurance.
Insurance is a rather nominal charge relative to losing the whole cost of your vacation and is a drop in the bucket relative to potential medical costs including evacuation to a major medical facility. We just count it as part of the ticket price and don't even give a second thought to it.

justgr8fl January 25th, 2005 06:11 PM

The CCL TA I used said the insurance only covered cancellation if there were a medical reason. We are both healthy and so I figured between my health insurance and my homeowners insurance what's the point. I ain't missin' that cruise anyway....knock, knock, knock.

Texasmunk January 25th, 2005 06:22 PM

Be careful, be very careful!
Many US insurance policies do not cover illness or accidents outside the continental US.

Plus....in the event of an injury, your medical will not cover the $35,000 air evac. It will not cover getting your family home. It will not cover a ton of stuff.

Of course, nothing will happen and you will have "wasted" $150 bucks.....but one never knows....we were not believers until we got the coverage and needed to use it...due to an illness PRIOR to the cruise...NOT covered by Blue cross. Blue Shield....now we never leave home without it

Mike M January 25th, 2005 11:23 PM

To everyone reading this thread:

Please check your health/medical insurance policy or contact your provider before assuming you are covered outside of the United States. Most health insurance policies, especially HMO's and Preferred Provider Organizations, do not cover you outside of the United States.

Most Medicare plans will not cover you outside of the United States except in some emergency situations in Mexico and Canada and then it can be a real problem to be reimbursed. There are some Medicare Choice + and Medigap policies that will cover you.

There are some policies that do have international coverage but many people reading this thread may assume that because they have health insurance they are covered. This could lead them to a very costly mistake.

Take care,
Mike

momx4 January 26th, 2005 07:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I think that I am going to re-instate the insurance with the cruise line. Sounds like just too many what if's for me.
There are 6 of us, 2 adults and 4 kids. I rather feel a little more easy "knowing" that we are fully covered everywhere rather than thinking we "might be" covered.

Darcy January 26th, 2005 08:31 AM

Mom:

I would buy the insurance from someone other than the cruise line. What if something happens with the cruise line? Then the insurance may not do you any good. I read on one of these boards where that happened. The cruise lines went bankrupt right before the cruise and the people bought their insurance from the cruise line which didn't do them any good. Its best to keep the two separate. Try going to insuremytrip.com. You can compare coverage and prices between several different companies.

Darcy

DavidB January 26th, 2005 01:13 PM

momx4, pleased you made the right decision. With all policies cruise line or not.....read them.

What do they cover, will they cover for a persons existing or known illness etc etc.

It seems like a lot of bother, but worth it if something goes wrong

momx4 January 26th, 2005 04:21 PM

I just got the greatest education on the type of insurance RCI offers.
I called RCI, they knew some info but, not too much, they did give me the phone # to Berkely, (800-453-4022) the insurer they use. Of course you know it I called them!

To start with, I was surely shocked to find out, that any and all claims must be paid by you the consumer first, (or you WILL BE BILLED if it's over $10,000)
then the company would review it and hopefully pay it.
Funny, even though I have read that people, with the insurance, have seen the on board doctor and had no out of pocket expenses,. Not sure what to believe there!

They said, trip delay is covered, only if you can document that you or any one in traveling party is truely sick, (the sickness must provent you from traveling), or you are
on jury duty, in a major car accident, house has been condemded, or in jail.
I found nothing about if an airline get's you there late or anything to that effect.
Although they did state they will cover your luggage or hotel stay needed to wait for trip home or next boat available.

I was told very clearly, that in the event that you appear sick at dock and not allowed on board, you are not covered, unless you do the following right away:
See ships doctor, have him confirm you are sick or not, if he thinks you are, then you must go the nearest hospital,right away with no delay, see ER doctor, have him confirm that you are well or not, if well, bring documents to the port and try to get back on ship! Yeah right! I work in a hospital, try getting that done in just a few hours!
The limit is $10,000 medical and dental. Didn't know they had a dentist on board.

As far as Evac goes it is covered, up to $25,000. Call me crazy, but an sea- vac will surely cost more than that! Had a friend needed to be evaced out of grand canyon area, bill was well almost $35,000, thank god it was covered.

If you get sick in another country, see a doctor, need to fly home, they will cover it
(all expenses) only with proper documents and RCI must agree, it is in your best interest to do so. They would however, re-imburse you any monies due from they days you have left on your unused cruise. (That was nice).

I was told that if your sick on board, see the doctor and are quaratined,
the doctor bill is covered, but that's it, nothing else, no unused days.
Guess they feel maybe you may sneak in a party or two while your in the room suffering.

Guys, I must say, I didn't like what I found out. And I did check out the insuremytrip.com website, I just haven't called them yet with a few questions I got.
But believe me, I will................
Keep me posted should anyone know anything different,
but this came straight from the horse's mouth!

Who knows maybe I am crazy, but it dosent seem like a whole lot good to it.
I'll keep looking though............

Thomas January 26th, 2005 07:45 PM

Most likely your personal insurance will not cover you outside of the U.S. Better check this out before you decide to sail without it.

A recent poster told her story of breaking an ankle while walking around a port. She went to a local hospital for treatment and in the meantime the ship sailed without her. Her family of 4 had to find their own way back to the U.S. The insurance company had to send a representative to the next port to remove her and her family's belongings from the ship, which they charged her for. Her bill was $12,000 and her trip insurance covered it all.

Do you want to risk it?

Regards,
Thomas

Glenda Madrid January 26th, 2005 09:24 PM

One thing you need to examine in comparing policies is whether the insurance company is the primary or secondary payer. If they are the secondary, they will not pay anything until whatever other coverage you have kicks in. That is not for me, and I always choose a policy where they are the PRIMARY payer for lost baggage, theft, etc.

I did collect for theft in Tahiti. We were waiting at a hotel for transit to the airport, and my daughter's carryon was rifled and some items stolen. We were reimbursed with some depreciation taken. Still, it was something.

I have also collected from my health insurance company here for medical expenses overseas. I collected for seeing a doctor in Canada, Italy, and Jamaica - you just need to have the letter from the doctor explaining what was done and why.

BTW, on my last cruise I asked for some cold medication from the ship's doctor. I was told that unless I scheduled and paid for a visit to the doctor - at $65 - he could not give me anything, even over-the-counter medication. I found some Dristan at the next port.

Glenda

DougR. January 27th, 2005 06:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: What does the insurance really cover?

Momx4- She has recovered from everything but being a teenager. She is our miracle and we thank God for everyday we have her around, even though she acts like we are alien beings at times.

momx4 January 27th, 2005 07:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What does the insurance really cover?

To Doug R

Wonderful news !!!
Hopefully someday, you too will recover. Just enjoy life and cherish every moment !

sea-u-later January 27th, 2005 08:58 AM

Got my homeowners insurance paid, auto and health, too. Someone is watching the pets, neighbor is bringing in the mail, turning on and off the lights. Just got our flu shots and loaded up with anti-bacterial soap and wipes. Made sure my company won't be laying me off while wer'e gone. Visited my parents and in-laws to make sure everyone is feeling healthy.. Confirmed my flights, checked the weather again, called my credit card co. to be sure I had proper spending room. Went on line to be sure there is no unrest on the islands. Now I have to worry about if my trip ins. will cover a doctor visit? Nothing more relaxing than an ocean cruise.

momx4 January 27th, 2005 12:12 PM

Hi All...

Just found a great "Primary" insurance deal on insuremytrip.com.
For a family of 6 (3 adults, 3 kids) we got everything needed for $192.00.
(We used Travelex, they are the only Primary insurer on this site.) Got the Travel Plus Pkg. We saved $100.00 finding this policy there, Vs.getting it from the cruise line.
Not to mention it is also everything in it, med, evac, death, trip cancellation is PRIMARY, (The reinburtsments come from them, not another party)!!!
So glad I asked you guys, you all were a big help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel a lot more at ease now.

banker January 27th, 2005 01:11 PM

See....and everyone said this gripes board was just a bunch of whiners and that nothing positive comes of it!

banker

DavidB January 27th, 2005 02:15 PM

Pleased to see your post above banker's, momx4.

While reading down from my last post I thought you found it so confusing that you would not do it. Nice one for getting it together.

Advice for everyone else. The world does not cover what you would expect to get at home....Take out insurance, but READ IT regarding your cover before purchase.

David

Netplayer February 17th, 2005 04:00 PM

Re:what does insurance cover

My husband and I selected Travelex insurance as well, mostly for their primary coverage- which means Travelex pays claims - We bought insurance on line and documents arrived in 2 days.

Our policy with Travelex also protects us from close of business of the cruise line - if we had bought our insurance from the cruise line I don't think this coverage would be included...............And also, the cruise line insurance seems to always be higher cost than buying insurance elsewhere on your own.

Netplayer