Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Where do you begin?

When you move off Gripes and try to advise new or unsure cruisers. How do you even begin to advise on a post that says (from another CM board)

"Does the Mediterranea have any Formal Nights? Do people actually dress Black Tie for them? I know they have Theme Nights, mostly Italian and Meditteranian.
Thanks"

That was just an example

They have the intelligence to get onto the web, find CM, and post a question, then it breaks down,,,,,sorry what was your question?

Dont know how the CM people paid to respond deal with this. I've tried and it does my brains in !!!!!

So my gripe is I dont want such thick people on my vacation, is there a cruising database I can check re the people I am cruising with's IQ's?
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Where do you begin?

Dahling - just check under the "Mensa" site for my name. ttfn Jennifer
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

hey - that's an idea, I mensa group cruise.....I'm trying to picture the passengers!

Jenn, look under the "retard" site for me

banker
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Glenda Madrid

Default Re: Re: Where do you begin?

David, if you truly want to respond, I think it is perfectly okay, and actually advisable, to point questioners to places or threads on the website, or even other websites, where their questions can be answered. It does get a bit annoying to answer questions for people who are too lazy to research the answers themselves.

Now, if it is an opinion someone wants, that's different. But factual info that is basic and readily available? Point them in the right direction, and forget it.

On another website I participate in, you can actually do a search for threads that deal with specific situations or questions by doing a keyword search.

s
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Dave your post doesn't make sense.

splendor of the seas
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Admiral

rhetorical questions

banker
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Glenda:
You can do a keyword search by clicking on "Search" at the top of a thread or a board.

David: I have found that everyone is "thick" about some things. The person who asks a dumb question about cruising may be able to educate me on history, antique cars or folk art furniture. I know I would probably sound like an idiot to others on an antiques/glassware board if I asked if Heisey crystal was quality crystal. I have no idea if Heisey crystal is good. It's just expensive on Ebay. <VBG>

The other part of it is that cruising isn't what it used to be. Formal isn't the true definition of formal. With the introduction of the alternative dining options such as Freestyle and cruise lines not enforcing their own rules, Formal Nights are no longer formal on most mainstream lines. No man will be turned away if they are not in a tuxedo or dark suit.

First time cruising is becoming more confusing than it needs to be. Most people going on their first cruise have so many questions that they don't know what to ask and they really don't have anyone to ask, so they turn to places like this. Because of this confusion they may end up asking a question like you pointed out. Here is Carnival's definition of Formal attire: Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit That's a nice concise definition.

Also, there are many bad travel agents out there and that hasn't helped the industry. Many of them don't know the answer to client's questions or don't have the time or ability to answer them. Brochures aren't much help and if you booked through an agent there's no way the cruise line will talk to you. It has helped boards like this but I personally would rather see help come in a different manner.

OK: I guess I have to stop rambling now. :-)

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Admiral

I say the question were rhetorical because (and I have seen these) the questions have a silly component to them. The questions usually aren't " can I wear this or that" to a formal dinner, but "do people wear tuxedos"? Maybe what you're suggesting Mike is what they meant to ask but really ask something silly

kinda like asking "do they have burgers" at a burger place. The appropriate question might be do they have this or that, but to ask if they have burgers is silly.

"does this dentist work on teeth" instead of does this dentist do a specific type of dental work at his/her clinic. (that just came to mind because I had a painful dental visit today)

banker
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Where do you begin?

Don't you think that we can have some sympathy for those who are not as well informed and as brilliant as we are? <VBG>
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Admiral

ummmm.....nope

banker
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Nope - it's my brilliance that sets me apart from the rest of the world - or maybe it's just my body odor - oh my! ttfn Jennifer
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:30 PM
mara

David B

You need another scotch!! You are not making any sense

Mara
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Admiral

I take no personal responsiblity for the mental capability of those unable to read or understand my posts.
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Admiral

I understood DavidB's gripe and banker's comments without any problem. What does this say about me???

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I'm with Fern - I'm on here so often I'm beginning to make sense of it all - and that scares the he** out of me :o) ttfn Jennifer
Old January 31st, 2005, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Dave maybe I should of said what is the point of your post but now maybe you can see why I complain sometimes.

splendor of the seas
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:09 PM
Admiral

I feel Banker covered it already, you of all people ousoonerfanintexas should know the scenario as a recreation advisor and dealing with questions from the public.

Take the quote I gave it was "Does the Mediterranea have any Formal Nights? Do people actually dress Black Tie for them? I know they have Theme Nights, mostly Italian and Meditteranian".

well,,,,

1 Yes, they do
2 Yes, they do
3 Yes, they have theme nights
4 Never seen them "as mostly Italian and Meditteranian".

The above is not an answer nor advice. If I was asked....
We are sailing on xxx ship, visiting xxx ports. Do they have formal nights?, what percentage of people take part in them. I hear they have theme nights, how many per cruise and what do people wear?

That type of questions we all could answer, they are questions and an indication of what the poster needed advice on. Unfortunately a lot of people looking for advice, think they have asked questions, but dont. So look at the line boards, plenty of questions, very little constructive response.