Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Saying that food is free

I realize this is just semantics, but it bothers me. It bothers me when people say that food is free on a cruiseship. People will talk about the dining room is free, or the buffet is free, or room service is free. I hope people don't actually think that it is free. I don't pretend to know all the statistics, but I would like to guess that a non-negligible percentage of your fare goes towards food.

I'm not sure why it bothers me, maybe it is because of the same reason I don't like taking free samples at stores, I just don't like feeling that I've received something for free. I'm the kind of person who feels guilty using a coupon at a restaurant.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Saying that food is free

I honestly think, you need to relax, advertising budgets take care of free samples and a coupon at a restauraunt. How about giving that FREE coupon, to someone who can use it, or a shelter.That should make you happy.... I wonder why you feel guilt, in using a coupon..? DO NOT buy an Entertainment Book then

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 9th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe I shouldn't have said the part about the coupon, that is kind of a different subject. It just bothers me when people refer to the food on cruiseships as being free.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I do agree that the food on the ship isn't free. You paid for it when you paid your fare. The correct term would be to say that the food in the main dining room and the buffet is included. But either way you say it the concept is the same.

The cruise line already has the money so it could be considered: Lay away. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Admiral

My guess is that people refer to the food as "free" because they don't have to spend anymore money for it once they're on the ship. (unless you choose alternative dining, get specialty coffees, etc)

Old June 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I got into a discussion with a lady one time who spent forever trying to convince me that food is free on a cruise ship, she just couldn't quite understand that it isn't free, just paid for in advance.
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Actually it is 'free'. Anyone that is onboard can partake of the food offerings. Now 99% of those people have paid a fare to get on the ship but there are a few like those in these pre-cruise weddings, that get to sample the food as do entertainers and ships personel. Yes we paying passengers do 'pay' for the food just as much as we 'pay' for the air conditioning, entertainment, views, spa, gym, pool, etc. It is 'inclusive' even though ships are not 'totally inclusive'. So both "free" and "Included" or "paid through hidden costs", would all be correct.

Old June 9th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

In this situation, I don't agree that "free" equals "included". Free would be if your fare didn't go towards any of the food purchase or preparation, which obviously isn't true because where would the money for the food come from if it wasn't from the ticket fares.

I realize this isn't really anything to argue over, I'm just interested in others opinions.
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's like Sierra Mist, it's both free and complimentary.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:00 PM
borntocruise

The food is "FREE" as opposed to the dining rooms with a surcharge.

At least this is a "NEW" gripe!!!!!!!
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

...but it isn't FREE. You don't pay for it when you eat it, you've paid for it months in advance. The shows aren't free, your cabin isn't free, just because you don't pay for it when you use it doesn't mean it is free.

When I go to dinner, I pay with a credit card. I don't write a check for that bill until weeks later, just because I'm not paying for it when I eat it, it doesn't mean it is free.

When I go to an amusement park, I pay admission, I don't have to pay individually for each ride, but that doesn't mean they are free.

So my point is (please understand that I say this as jokingly and lightheartedly as possible)...STOP SAYING FOOD IS FREE!!!!

(i have a way of misrepresenting my tone when on message boards)
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Zack

I think "free food" comes into play when people eat more than they need to just because they can. Anything they eat over a normal meal portion; they think they have struck oil. How often do you go to a midnight buffet at home after having 3 during the day? Are the people that pig out (live to eat) getting a better value than those that eat to live. Maybe. That would depend on what you value; health, diet or calories.

Yes every price has a built in cost and profit. Buy one, get one free. Divide the cost in half as one is not free, but the price on two has been reduced per the manufacturer’s assistance as need to market the product.

Using coupons is very frugal and I can't image not using them when they are available. Buying a cruise at certain times of the year is much cheaper than other times. What are you getting free then?

We are a consumer society and we have come to expect lower prices, discounts, bartering etc. Anyone who wants to pay full price either just won the lottery (new money) or has a screw loose.

I’ll take every perk I can get and laugh all the way to the bank!
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Love coupons - my dh buys me the "Entertainment Book" for Christmas - two for one on just about everything. It makes us go out more and it is a great value. For my birthday we are going to a play at the Granville Theater in Vancouver, then on to the Kobe Steakhouse for dinner - both on two for one book deals. Almost as good as an "all inclusive" cruise. ;o) TTFN Jennifer
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

"I got into a discussion with a lady one time who spent forever trying to convince me that food is free on a cruise ship, she just couldn't quite understand that it isn't free, just paid for in advance."

I love this - some people just don't get anything. But you know what? just let her think it is free, because to her it is.

Anyway, the food is obviously not free - and I always say "included". Any cruise line can tell you exactly what percentage of their revenue from selling cruises goes to feeding their passengers. But along these same lines is anything in life free?

I was going to say "oxygen," but then I thought about all my tax dollars going to the EPA.

Old June 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Saying that food is free

I thought of the term "free love", and everyone knows for sure that that isn't free.
Old June 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Cougar

If you "realize this is just semantics", then why are you bothered by just semantics?

Seems silly to me.
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Hey - I remember "Free Love" back in the 60's - the result turned 37 yesterday ;o)
TTFN Jennifer
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Zack

Free love did exist...once. Of course I guess it depended on who you were and what you looked like. I was a test pilot for the pill and free love, never cost me a cent. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. No pun intended.

I remember this chick I met at an Iron Butterfly concert named Jennifer about 37 years ago…………………

Just kidding, I don’t even remember her name.

I think it's making a come back with the young folks as “friends with benefits”. That sounds like a plan!

I'm not really sure what Free Love has to do with semantics, free food, buffets or room service, but I'm sure they would all go good togather.

Peace!
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Saying that food is free

Zack, didn't you have to pay to go to go to the concert?
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Zack

Actually no! I was working for a newspaper at the time and used my employee ID card as a press pass. I never lied and said I was with the press, but the rent-a-cops like to think they knew what was going on, so they waved me on.

I saw a dozen of bands for free and front roll.
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
cruisingrandma

Why does it bother u what anyone else believes. It they want to think there food is free.. So be it. In your eyes it is not free. so be it again. I care less if u think the glass is half full or half empty. Trying to control what others think or believe is a big problem. Just go on a cruise and relax and enjoy..........
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not trying to change the way people think, I'm trying to point out a misconception.
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Admiral

I work for a billion dollar company and you are right, things aren't free. However, when you walk into a grocery store and they have samples or free coupons, the vendor is usually the one footing the bill. That is part of their advertising expense (in simplistic terms). The vendor's also will pay to have their product stationed in certain places.

Please pass on any free items you have to your local children/women's shelters or send a shoebox overseas to our troops. They can especially use hygiene things (especially for women), lip balm, games, books, etc.

Sorry, I got of the subject of cruising. Just hope it helps.
Dee
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Zack - yep! That was me - now how does my lawyer get in touch with you for back child support? Just kidding - his Dad and I were married for 25 years. Hey - on a cruise the food is free - you just pay a lot for water and air :o) TTFN Jennifer
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:27 PM
borntocruise

To me all inclusive is "FREE". Not that I do not remembering paying, but simply because before I left home the tab was settled!!! I do not & will not run up a tab at an all inclusive resort as I do an a ship.

Maybe cruise lines should investigate offering "all inclusive"
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Who cares?

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM
getoveryourself

Dude,
Noone is stupid enough to beleive that the food is free. We know we are paying for it. It is INCLUDED in the price, meaning that there is no ADDITIONAL cost. You are one of those people that justs wants to gripe about something.

Get Over Yourself
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM
venice

nothing in life is free..there is always a cost whether in time or other wise..that's like car dealers saying an interest free car loan...it's not free there are rigid requirements

however, if it makes the person happy let them say the food is free
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Passenger

just to make a dumb discussion dumber... you could consider it free if you pay your initial price to "get on the ship" after that every thing you do is a choice. You don't have to eat you don't have to go to shows you don't have to swim. So I guess you could consider it free in a way. You pay the same price whether you participate or not. Just a different thought!

Old July 19th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Actually deppong3..it aint so dumb a question. In Europe today you can pick up "island hopping lines" around Greece, Med etc. That all you pay for is your bed, cabin steward, use of pool etc and being on ship from A - B.

So. . You want buffet, pay a table charge, you want dinning service, pay another charge. Want to bring your own food and booze on board, fine

The major difference here is that their ships are much smaller (around 30), so you go off ship in one port port say Rome and decide to spend two or three days there. Want to move on?. Then pick up the the next one going to your next port of call. And before someone says it, these are not ferries. But as I said around 30T cruisers, with all the bits.

Its all youngsters packpacking, but there is something that works in that scenario.

But, its not for those wishing the all delivered together cruiser experience, that experience as we know is at most just a taste of ports and other people.

I envy these young cruisers, to get into Civi,, decide to stop for two or three days. Really experience Rome. Then get the next ship onto Rhodes and do the same there. A chilled cruise that could take a month.

Cruising is changing