Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Get rid of semi-formal nights!

I mentioned this a few years ago and I think I need to repeat it now.

I wish they would designate one dining room casual, and one dining room formal. That way you could choose to go to whichever one you felt like. This is close to freestyle but not quite.

I also wish they had a children's dining room where the kids could go eat kids' food while the parents dined in elegance without worry or the need to take the kids to the buffet first. I know my neices and nephews would have LOVED to have a place where they could eat pizza, hamburgers, chicken fingers, etc. without the parents making them sit through a 90 minute formal dinner.

Sorry about drifting off the main topic.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Wendy Stewart

Default Re: Re: Get rid of semi-formal nights!

HI, please post this wherever you can. I have been cruising as both an officer and as the spouse of an officer for over seven years now. I have seen the frustration and embarrassment that the people with elegance have suffered with fellow passengers who do not respect the level of social interaction on a cruise ship. If you want to appear to the world like an individual whose parents did not give them self respect, and respect for others , then go ahead...chow down with your 'comfy' duds on and by all means, chew with your mouth open (oh my god, I've seen that so often it's unbelievable) and with your elbows on the table. Why not add screaming children, obnoxious drunks who abuse their wait staff and their fellow pax? If you want to travel to see the world and can afford to travel to see the world, then show the world some respect and present the very best you have to offer: visually, in conversation and with your behaviour in public. Blue jeans, spitting your tobacco out and scruffy personal hygiene is NOT for a cruise. Go home; stay home; never come out, please!
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wendy,
I think you also need to copy this and send it to your corporate office or the corporate office of your husband. I agree that passengers need to take responsibility for themselves and present themselves in a respectful manner but the cruise lines need to make and enforce their own policies and guidelines in regard to dress and conduct.

It is a two edge sword.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Captain

I would like to see them do away with both semi-formal and formal nights and just have dressy casual. I don't mind dressing up in honor of special occasions (weddings, funerals, etc.), but I have never seen the point in getting all dressed up to go to the same dining room that it was perfectly okay to dress casual for the night before. It seems to have an air of phonyness to it. Like everybody is playing into the fantasy of a special evening just because somebody said "hey, everybody, let's play dress up!"

I know alot of people enjoy the formal nights, but it is the only part of cruising I have ever really hated and I would love to see it gone.