Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:29 AM
First Mate

Default It's not just Americans that can be "ugly"

As a Canadian living in the US, I am sick and tired of people complaining about Americans, no matter the context. On our last cruise, we seemed to have more than our fair share of incredibly rude and ugly people, whose behaviors ranged ran the gamut from barging through lines and berating staff, to paying no heed to what their children were up to. The nationalities represented were British, Canadian, Dutch, Mexican, and yes, some Americans. Poor behavior knows no boundaries.

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: It's not just Americans that can be "ugly"

AMEN

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Double AMEN.
sea angel
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Interesting,,,,peoples nations making them "ugly". I take it we are not talking physical looks here. If so I'm out or is that in !!!

Two points

People are and I read this "ugly" as.... an individual even in their own country they will be seen in the same way which equals:- selfish, no social grace, no respect for others.
These are people even their fellow countrymen avoid

On the other hand

I've met people from other nations that do not see what they are doing say in a line at buffet as "ugly" as their action in their country in acceptable.

Example, buffet line the Brits will stand one behind each other until their turn. Now that could mean a Q of 30 behind one little lady or gent at the front who is taking whatever time to decide, can I eat this, do I like this, does this agree with me?

Most people would just walk around them. A lot of Brits see that as rude, think its a war thing and Q'ing for rationed food. And who would see that as rude or ugly, those holding everyone else up.
What they where doing to the rest of the line missed them.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I agree with you Okie, I think a lot of people label Americans as being "ugly" when my personal experience has found most not to be. We Canadians get labelled much the same way because to others we sound the same.........that's why we plaster the "maple leaf" all over ourselves when travelling.....HA!

just kidding

okay, If there is a long line, and some is trying carefully to select the "best" pea out of a whole dish and is in the process of convening a committee to decide.......I do often try to create a distraction on the other side of the room and parachute into a small gap in the line (usually in front of a committee member) and with lightening speed, grab what I want and dart back out of the line (I do not "butt" in as part of the line) and am usually gone in less than 0.5 seconds.......is this okay? I do it. I always thought it wasn't bothering anyone......what do you guys think?

banker
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Zack

It's more than OK! Hot food should remain hot until you get to the table. If someone is in line is carefully selecting one piece of lettuce at a time they should be passed. What are the chances that their IQ will increase by the time they get to the soups or the main entree? What are the chances that they will catch up to you and you would then be in their way? What are the chances of that person being capable of deciding what to do about being passed? It is not rude to pass; it is rude to hold up a line because you canít decide which kind of salad dressing to have Ö..today.

When I say holding up the line, Iím talking about everybody that was in line ahead of the slow poke are now 15 feet or more ahead of them. In golf the term ďplaying throughĒ is in place for a reason. Is it rude to pass someone on the highway or the sidewalk?

Iím a firm believer that you lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. Time is money; donít be spending any of mine.

The rudest person I ever met on a cruise was a Canadian. Which surprised me because some of the nicest folks Iíve met were Canadians as well. No need to label all for what I found in one.

I have seen Americans do some things that have embarrassed me and can see why the labels are sometimes applied. Itís unfortunate that we tend to label those that stand out and mislabel those that donít.
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:24 AM
First Mate

Easy!
The term "Ugly American" came from the behavior of US tourists in the fifties.

Not all American are ill mannered. Every deal with a French customs agent, or an irate New Yorker, or a surly Florida retiree or a snooty French Canadian or a Philadelphia Eage fan?

Actually, they are all pretty good people..ecept for that customs guys and the Eagle fan.
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

hey munk, ealge fans are already down, lets not kick em .....to think that they thought they actually had a chance........

banker
Old February 17th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Banker and Texas Munk you both can kiss my <Self Censored before Mike M Does it for me> ; D

I still bleed Eagle Green!!!!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004