Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Default So who packs your case?

This is really a cruise gripe....For me it is my beloved wife.

What happens, on pre cruise mode (can be months in advance) when asked what I want to take. I will usualy grunt and say "anything"

Cruise time...what happens when after I have carried all these cases across car parks, airports and the cruise terminal. I find that what I actually wanted is not there in my single case out of four carried

So I go off on one. "Where is my",,,,,""I wanted to bring my,,,,did you pack it" mode

I know this seems really easy as a thread,,,,I'm a man a lazy slob,,,NO

My DW sees packing and clothes etc etc as her responsibility, she has lists of lists of things that have to come with us. Just wish she would listen to what I want nearer the time (like the day before) and not ask me to make my mind up weeks in advance or let me pack my own case, but cant do that as there is ironing and stuff to be done in advance and at the time.

Cant get my head around this, so I turn up everytime with not all my clothes, looking at this 6 inches of rail space with my clothes of an evening and deciding what to wear. Meanwhile with over 36" of rail to choose from I am also given the statement "will I wear this or this or this"? Wish I had the choice
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: So who packs your case?

Hi Dave,
I pretty much do the same as your lovely wife, although I do let the husband actually pack himself, but I'm always asking, if he packed this or that and of course by this time I've done the extra shopping so I know he has enough shirts, socks, etc... Now, I'm pretty much packed days in advance and he waits until the night before we leave, I think most of the guys are like that, me I want to be ready to go!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

i share your gripe David!

To take it a step further, I have made a list (I am not a list person so making a list is like making a rocket ship for me). There is a general list of stuff we need, and a specific list of my stuff.

I do not want my stuff packed, don't like my stuff being packed etc etc but as with your wife, my wife feels it is somehow her "duty" to pack for me (must be genetic or something). But since she is going to do it anyway, I made her a list. It is understood that certain things are not packed (she starts weeks in advance), often I need suits and work clothes so they need to be laundered before going anyways. So she goes ahead and pack my newer or nicer suits, (which of course are the ones I want to take for work) so I go ape-sh..it looking around.

Of course you know what happens when we get there.......

banker
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Admiral

If my dh wants to pack he can - but he won't. The only thing he ever actually puts in the cases are his red comb and batteries. The rest I lay out a few days before so he can check on things. I guess men can wear the same thing a few times and it doesn't matter - women - not on your life honey. Even the formal night pictures are a huge problem - he can wear the same thing he wears for every "formal" occasion. Me - had to get something new or the photo would look the same as the last cruise - now we can't have that - can we? Not my fault - just a fact of life and being blessed with the FSG (female shopping gene!) ttfn Jennifer
Old February 19th, 2005, 08:13 PM
First Mate

I suppose we women look at packing like we look at allowing you guys to dress yourselves. None of us are sure how you managed before you had a woman in your lives. I believe Sinbad said it best, apparently you knew how to do these things until you got married, then it somehow left. Of course if there is something that you really really think that you need, I somehow doubt that any of us women would care as long as your packing didn't infringe on our ability to pack our own things and also make sure you look presentable whenever you are seen in public with us. <VBG>

Old February 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I hate packing, cant fold a shirt neat enough to suit me. My mother is the queen of cram can roll and have any wrinkles. I will have to wait till night before cruise to pack, but maybe I can say my hand is hurting ang maybe she will pack 4 me.
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Tamie VBG in reply, actually I go to work early, up around 5am and leave around 6.

So I stick stuff together that makes me presentable. But sometimes,,,I come home at night greeting my DW with "hello darling, how was you day?

I sometimes get a look and response of it was okay, but then the reply is "how could you put that tie on with suit and shirt . I had aready left something out for you."

So now I've burned out on two points, One I did not notice whilst getting myself together early morning that my DW had taken the trouble to lay out my clothes for the next day

And on reflection my colleagues are saying "bloody hell" David where did you get that tie?

On the second point some wifes would take that personally, as this is how I present my husband and a reflection on them!!!!

Well seeing I'm a techie and live in my own wee world, a lot of this passes me by. But it does not excuse not having in my case what I expect <g>
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:53 PM
happy ks

Oh, you poor man! As the packer in the family, I have control. DH gets the TV remote.

If I let him pack, I would have no room for my clothes, he wants to take every shirt and pant in his closet. He does not believe he doesn't need 15 pairs of socks for a 7 night cruise, he would take enough underwear for a month. He has finally relinquished the power to me, now we are both happy. I do confer with him regarding the choices, it's the only time I find out that he really hates a shirt that I bought him last Christmas/birthday/Fathers Day. He does put himself together pretty good most days.

What ever did we see in our men before we got ahold of them?
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:31 PM
CruzCrazy

Boy am I doing something wrong....I pack for both of us. I do the laundry, the ironing, I make out the list, I make sure all the incidentals are packed. My wonderful hubby wouldn't dare ask me "Where is my ......?

If I left it up to him he would have a small carry on for a 15-night cruise. I've been accused of packing too heavy. See his job is to carry the suitcases to the car.

So now what I make him do and this is the test..... is the last night when all the luggage is out in the hallway I tell him to lift some of them and see how heavy those are. They make mine look like a carry on with nothing in them.

I don't mind doing all the packing though, I've very organized. I do find it much easier to pack his clothes/outfits than mine. With me I get into a frenzy on what I'm going to where and then I also have to try on to make sure some things still fit. Still carrying those extra five pounds from the last cruise.

To all you guys who pack your own clothes.....my hat's off to your significant other for at least trying to pack.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Lucky, lucky, me! My DH has always packed for himself. The only thing I ask him is if he has his meds and his underwear! He always looks great!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Laurie Qualls

lol i can relate to the underwear and sock thing DH would pack 30 pair of each for a 7 day cruise..and his black belt..other than that it is all up to me..and no he would never dare say..did you pack my......but the day we are leaving he is stuffing underwear and a pair of black socks in the side of luggage...i forgot the black sock one time......
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Admiral

He pays for the cruise - I pack - sounds like a pretty good deal to me :o) ttfn Jennifer
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Ha, ha, ha! You said "anything" when she asked you what to pack?! I have a feeling that your wife must have a great sense of humor. I think Banker gave you great advice, make a (very specific) list and give it to your wife 6 months before the cruise. Or go through the luggage the day before you leave and add/subtract whatever your wife was unable to intuitively pack for you. Too funny! You're lucky you had clean underwear let alone anything else!
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Sheeesh, what's up with all you women? If I asked Mrs. Thomas to pack for me she'd tell me where to stick it !

For me it's: 4 pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of slacks, 7 collared shirts, one suit, and t-shirts. Then the accessories. I'm done in 15 minutes.

Regards,
Thomas (who figures if I forgot anything there's always Visa)
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admiral

for everything there's mastercard,

your wife asking if she looks fat in those pants..............priceless!!

banker
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Thomas forgot his underwear - teehee! No - I do not want a picture! lol. ttfn Jennifer
Old February 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Admiral

maybe Thomas asked his wife to pack his underwear?!?

banker
Old February 21st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

My hubby always packs his own stuff whenever we go anywhere. Actually come to think of it when we went on our first (and only so far) cruise he rearranged my packing after I was done! I'm glad though because I grew up with my dad always making my mom pack for our family vacations and then complaining the whole trip that he didn't have what he wanted.

I think if my hubby ever did that to my he would end up with dirty underwear the next time.

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Underwear falls in the category of "accessories." Along with suntan lotion, camera, socks, ball cap, walkie-talkies, batteries, cd's, book, etc.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:01 AM
First Mate

Every trip, I ask my husband to make a list of what he wants to take. Does he? NO. So this is what I do. A week before, I write down everything I am taking from every outfit to what I need to match for accessories. Then I go down from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet on what I will need for my body (brush, shampoo, toothpaste etc). The night before the cruise I lay out every outfit on the bed, put the matching jewerly, purses, shoes etc. Then I call my husband in the room. I tell him "This is what I am bringing. Unless you give me the list or pull your stuff out and get it together you will be sharing outfits with me". So I pack up my suitcase and he is busy pulling out his stuff to lay out his daily outfits. Works everytime!!!!!!! Thankfully, I am only packing for myself this trip.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: So who packs your case?

My wife takes two months to pack hers, and I take anywhere from two minutes to two days to pack mine.

She does fold my shirts, since I can't fold anything or even stay inside the lines when I draw.. However, when we return from a cruise, she stays far, far away from my dirty clothes, and I wash then myself.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Admiral

It must be a sex thing, forget the packing for now.

Pre cruise statement from she who must be obeyed "David, you need five new shirts, new underwear, three pairs of slacks, two pairs of shoes and some casual clothes"

I kid you not, let me loose in the mall on my own and within an hour I would have them all. Tried on, purchased, in bags and heading for the car park.

But if the DW needs one dress or one pair of shoes, thats it at least three malls, twenty shops, with me dragged behind

How many times can you say, that suits you,,,,,great,,,,, you look special in that,,,,,,that is just you, perfect. I actually want to scream after spending 2 days x 8 hours in malls on my weekends,,,,,,just BUY IT!

Phew, that feels better<g>
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Admiral

David - why don't you just give her the charge card so she can go on her own. I hate it when dh shops for clothes with me - he sits on the chair outside the fitting room with that "look" on his face - the ladies will know what "look" I mean. Kinda like the "deer in the headlights" lol. Let's face it he's doomed either way - if he says he likes something or he doesn't like it! I try to send him off the the computer or hardware store :o). Not that we women don't value your opinions but shopping isn't really about buying - teehee. TTFN Jennifer
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Jenn, shopping isn't about buying??

then why does it hurt so........

Banker
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Well, I won't go shopping with Mrs. Thomas anymore. I struggled with her through the mall for hours one Saturday when she ended up buying nothing.

As we were leaving I told her I wanted to stop at the hardware store to buy a new mop for the restaurant. Next to the mops was a rack of signs for $4.59 each. I picked out the mop I wanted and she was fumbling through the signs. She picked one out and put it back, picked it out and put it back, picked it out and put it back. I had no clue what her problem was as I approached her a store clerk approached her at the same time. She pulled out the Help Wanted sign and asked the clerk if there was a discount on it if she was only putting it up above the sink?

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thomas:
I liked that one.

In the 80's my wife bought me an "I'm with Stupid" shirt with the finger pointing upward. Just in case she wasn't with me when I wore it. :-)

I am responsible for getting all of my clothing into the packing room and she does the actual packing. I will admit I can wrinkle steel. I pack my carry on and all of my electrical "toys". I also handle the logistics. From the time we leave the house for a cruise and until we board is the only time she does what I tell her. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Admiral

When I go with my wife to a mall, I use the time for exercise. We agree to meet in an hour or so, and, then, I go off on a three mile walk.

Of course, when I return to the appointed meeting location, she isn't ever there!
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: So who packs your case?

we started using our 2 way radios (that we got for cruising) at the mall, work great, like you said, she is never on time even though we syncronize our watches commando style. I know it looks cheesy at the mall but I buzz her to find out what store she's in then intercept her before more damage can be done. Those radios have paid for themselves many times over

banker
PS - Also, if I know where she is, I can run over to Laura Secord and get a scoop of double death by chocolate ice cream without her knowing
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Good tip Banker, but from someone deep in heather and in the backwater,,,,as you kindly remind of once in a while!

I appreciate the scenario bud, but today we use mobile phones here. We gave up on CB many years ago, you could get channels crossed and end up with the wrong person in the wrong place < Very Very BG>

Let me tell you about todays technology......................do you copy!
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Admiral

David, I'm very offended. We have cell phones in Canada. It's just that we can't afford them. So don't make fun of us. Hey, If you guys are so ess emm aaye arr tee, then when are you guys in the wrong time zone? huh?

banker