Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ship is so old!

People look down their noses at everything! Actually a ship is built to last 30 years and anything in the 1990's is still a good bet. Ships go for annual refurbishments each year to spruce up the carpets, drapes and beds, polish the floors and come out as practically new ships.

Cruise lines have been building ships at such a rapid pace over the past decade that our perspective has changed. If you tell me a ship was built in the 60's or 70's, then I'll agree it's old.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:56 AM
rockin'rick

Please take a look at the picture. Yes they do refresh the staterooms and public rooms but what about dents in the shipís hull? What happens to the metal after so many years under salt water, getting hit with anywhere from three foot waves to 20+ footers? Where did all those dents come from? Docking? Tug boats? Is this still a safe ship? The salt water and age causes me to think about safety? Is there anyone out there that can convince me that this ship isnít rusting away under the white wash? I still like old ships but I am not totally convinced they are safe after time. Any engineers out there?

Old March 15th, 2005, 10:00 AM
rockin'rick

Another picture of the fine old Lady

Old March 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I went on the Regal Empress in December of '02. I had made my booking and was on the internet looking for pictures and reviews of her. I did a search for "party on the Regal Empress" and came across a website that said, "Join us for our Swingers Cruise Aboard the Regal Empress'". Little did I know when I booked this trip there would be 300 swingers onboard. They all had green wristbands so you knew who they were. I was expecting alot of beautiful 20 somethings. Instead they were mostly 50's and not in shape looking for wife swapping. Well it is 'not my bag baby' but I did have fun observing. These were the least likely suspect for swingers I could have imagined. I crashed the "Bare as you Dare" party in the Grand Lounge dressed only in my Austin Powers blue velvet sports coat. Before long, some of the ladies were pulling up my coattail and spanking me with a small whip. It didn't hurt....too much.

Post Edited (03-15-05 11:38)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Dave,

hey, i hadn't noticed before but in goldmember austin talks about his father going away on his yacht, The HMS Shag.at.sea !

It was on TBS last week!

banker
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
rockin'rick

I can't stop laughing. The old rust bucket turned into and old rusty swingers club for old rusy swingers. I can't stop laughing. Who would have known?
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

They had wild parties on this ship. It always did an annual Fantasy Fest Cruise, Mardis Gras Cruise, Gay Cruises. Imagine all the debauchery that has gone on in the 50+ years this ship has been at sea. I had my video camera and was interviewing some of the swingers. It was great fun. My standard line of questioning was," So how is the swinging going? Have you hooked up yet?"

I would not hesitate to go again. PS, Banker, I will have to watch that one again. I was watching "The Spy Who Shagged Me" again the other night. I have all three.

Post Edited (03-15-05 15:10)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM
PapaBear

We sailed on the SS Norway in Nov 2002. She was showing her age, but she was still beautiful!

It was very interesting to watch the lowering of the tenders from their berths on the bow. Then we tendered in past 2 or 3 large cruise ships from other lines all docked at the piers.

One of the problems with these older ships are the propulsion plants. Norway used steam boilers and steam turbines (state of art in 1960s). Newer ships use large diesel engines, and some are now using gas turbines (scaled-up versions of the engines on aircraft. I once was on the USS Yorktown (guided missile cruiser) which uses 2 gas turbines (this was in 1986). The Yorktown was able to go from dead in water to 30+ knots in about 2 minutes, so the engines are very powerful!
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Captain

Yes, most of the newer cruise ships use diesel-electric power. This means that diesel engines power electric generators, and these generators in turn power electric motors that drive the ship's propulsion screws. Much the same principles used in rail locomotives today. This system allows the electric screw drive motors to be placed outboard in pods on some ships -- the theory being that this design equals less vibration. Many cruise ships actually buy crude oil and have onboard refineries to create the diesel fuel. Supposedly, these newer propulsion systems are more fuel efficient that steam turbines like the SS Norway used. I guess cost of converting a ship like the Norway to a modern powerplant, PLUS converting some of the state room acrhitecture to modern demands was just to much to justify renovation over new construction. Sad.

Thanks,
Richard
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:23 PM
rockin'rick

My dad was on the SS Boston also a guided missile cruiser in the late 50's early 60's
He worked on the engine he was a machine repairman second class.
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:36 PM
rockin'rick

babe ruth don't be sad look at my wife maureen in the picture

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Regarding the Regal Empress: This is a picture of her as the Olympia with the SS France and the RMS Queen Mary in New York

See this article.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/olympia.htm

There is a campaign underway to save her if and when Imperial let's her go.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Admiral

One more tidbit about the SS Norway. What impressed me most about that old lady was the incredible size of the ex-first class cabins. We sailed her in Jan.'03, and were booked in a "superior outside" cabin (Norway Deck) at an outside cabin price. It was 325 sq. ft. in size, and had two bathrooms (the larger of which featured a tub and a bidet)! Now that's "class" in my book.
Heck, the Owner's Suites on the Norwegian Sea and Dream are only 336 sq. ft., and considerably more expensive. How times do change. <S>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Captain

Ah, yes, the more "upgrade" rooms were large on the Norway. BUT, did you see some of those 66 sq. ft. inside cabins with bunks on some of the lower decks? Something would have had to be done about those, if this ship had sailed on.

Thanks,
Richard
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
CRUISE LOVER

Default Re: Re: Ship is so old!

dave the wave,

i am completely with you on this one... my first cruise was on an "older ship" aboard the majesty of the seas, oct, 2002 and our second was on the grandeur of the seas...feb 03.

july 2005, we are going on our 7th cruise onboard the serenade of the seas..

out of all the ones we have been on... the first two were the best!!

we have been on the navigator, adventure, explorer .... and conquest. out of all of those our favorite was grandeur...
Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Cruiselover, I liked the Enchantment (sister to Grandeur) very much and can't wait to go back. The Sovereign (I have been on Majesty too) is always fun. I think they are a good size. Bigger is not always better

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Since I can't seem to find alot of information elsewhere, I'll ask here. We were thinking of doing the Regal Empress this August with our coolege aged kids when we take them back to school in Tampa. Need thoughts, opinions, suggestions and anyother info anyone might have. What information I have found seems to be either very bad or very good. HELP!!!!!!!!

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Admiral

You need to post this in the Cruiseline forum.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Thomas I did but no one has replied. Believe I have tried everything I can think of but this is the post that I have seen Regal Empress come up the most on. Thanks for your help.

Old May 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Isn't it "funny" how a major football/baseball stadium is old at 10 years also? But the high-school stadiums...now that's a horse of a different color.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

This is about Cruise ships...

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Captain

I have never cruised the Regal Empress, but I have seen her docked along side the ship we were cruising in a port.. Of course, I didn't see inside --- but I didn't want to do so. From the outside, she looked like a true rustbucket! I know inexpensive cruises are offered on this ship. But for just a bit more, you could book Carnival --- or maybe NCL or even RCI. Among the lower cost cruises, I would specifically recommend RCI's Grandeur of the Seas, as we have cruised that one --- twice. It's not just SUPER big and therefore not SUPER crowded. There may be other good ones in the lower cost field, of course.

This is not a condemnation of older ships, by any means. But older ships require inhanced maintanence, which the Empress does not appear to have had. Also, they must have been FIRST BUILT as a "classy" ship. The Empress was first built as a very low budget ocean liner.

Thanks,
Richard
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Maurice Smith

YOU think that the sensation looks like a milk cart turned! I went twice on the sister FASCINATION and had a great time both times! You think that is bad try going on the bigger CARNIVAL pinnicle class. They are worse! Too many people and a whole lot of stress. Also food not so good.

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:28 PM
rosetattoo

Size absolutely does not matter....cruising is what YOU bring to the journey...if you come with your mad face, you'll have an awful time and complain about every little thing. Bring your happy face (beer helps too) and I guarantee you'll have a wonderful time, regardless of size.
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Docked next to us in Nassau, she didn't look so bad for an older broad. For over 50 she looks pretty good. let's see how the Fantasy class looks in another 40 years.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Admiral

It's almost 9 PM Sunday night. Watch the TLC and see the Sovereign reborn.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Beginner

It is always difficult to see our favorites serve there years and then step down. The Sovereign is no different. This ship may hold a special place with you but to the bean counters and stock holders, it is simply a machine to turn a profit and one day like many before her this ship will face the scrap heap. This cruiser prefers the Holiday Class ships in the Carnival Fleet. The Jubilee most recently was reborn with P & O down under.
Dave you blasted about people who didnt like your ship and for one dude who mentioned the life of football fields when you yourself trashed Fantasy Class Ships and spent several messages talking about your Honda Element. Is the Sovereign so bad that to make it look good you must trash the Fantasy Class Ships. You might try to tell the benefits of your ship without trashing the ship favorites of others. VW vans were a flop in America. They were underpowered and ugly with only a few sold even in there best years. The Honda Element may be better in terms of power and quality. Its style is either love or hate and with the dismal sales figures from Honda it looks like the hate may win out.
Oh buy the way the Taurus SHO is becoming a collectors car. Just because you don't like something does not mean the rest of us don't like it either!

Happy Cruising

Old June 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Admiral

The Taurus will never be a collectors car and the Fantasy class will always be ugly. To each his own opinion. That is what is great about this country and this board.

I just bought a 1970 VW van that is all original and restored. When the kids see me they stop me and say, "Phat van!" When the old hippies see me they say, "Cool Bus, dude!" The chics say, "Will you take me for a ride?"

I doubt anyone will say that about a 35 year old Taurus if there are any still running.

Happy Cruising!!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Hey Dave--congrats on the purchase of the VW van. Where's the picture?

I have a Taurus, a wagon of all things (do daycare in my house). I have to agree with you that they probably won't be a collectors car, even if it is an SHO.

Old June 29th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Beginner

You probably know the old saying about opinions (it is really applicable with you). To the millions who sail on the beautiful Fantasy Class Ships there will always be haters and those that are jealous of their great success. VW vans...I have a friend who collects golf carts...well to each his on and you are right about one thing "this is a great country."

You mention "to each his own opinion." The context of your message was trashing those who had an opinion about old ships. Your track record for beauty is under question...VW vans, Honda Elements and the Sovereign.

Cheryl you are correct. Your Taurus wagon will never be a collectors car but hey they are those that collect old VW vans so you might get lucky . Ford never made a SHO wagon. But a Taurus SHO is already a collectors car.

Happy Cruising!