Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny
Default public diaper changing

After hours of hopping from deck chair to deck chair trying to get a little bit closer to the pool and the sunshine I finally find two chairs for my wife and myself in the sun, fairly close to the pool. Sitting 5 feet away is a family with 3 kids including one diaper swaddled baby. The mother proceeds to change the babys diaper right in front of us in the middle of the pool deck and let me tell you that kick had totally crapped up his diaper and there was crap everywhere smeared all over the dirty diaper and the baby. She then took a pool towel and wiped her baby down and handed the naked kid to her husband where he [finally] took the baby away for a cleanup.

Yes the image has been permanently burned into my memory.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Laurie Qualls

Default Re: public diaper changing

Ew no class.....
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Passenger

OK same cruise.. this story is almost as bad if not worse. My wife and I are all dressed up going to dinner, we're standing waiting for an elevator and laying on the floor by the elevators is a very extra large sized maxi pad. It didn't look soiled (god help me) but it did appear, well , wet ... and I'm guessing it was under somebodys bathing suit.
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Admiral

What line did all this happen on?
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: public diaper changing

Royal Caribbean. Enchantment of the Seas. Lemme tell ya there wasn't much enchanting that I could see. Cruise was 2/19 - 2/24.

Old March 8th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: public diaper changing

Thanks for sharing!
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Reen

That is very gross! No excuse! Take the baby to your cabin and do that! Low class! Some people........I hope that kid wasn't in the pool. Those type of people don't care about rules!
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM
cali-croozer

I've seen (smelled - ew!) this in many public places, but, fortunately, not on a ship.....yet!
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Having 2 kids I will say that you get used to poopy pukey stuff etc. But that is absolutely disgusting. I can not believe people would actually do this.

I do not get phased by poopy diapers, but that would even gross me out! ....and I can handle pretty gross....uggg

Oh, and that second incident where you found that little treasure in the elevator, I can't even comment on that.

banker
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

It was mentioned that their was a pool towel used as a diaper wipe, I hope that towel was thrown overboard!
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Admiral

No, they washed out the pool towel in the hot tub!
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Passenger

I wondered what happened to the pool towel myself 1 The third and last story I've got for you [same cruise] was the sight and smell of a huge mess of puke all over the carpeting in the main atrium. We had the misfortune to come upon that lovely sight just as one of the RCI people were going over it with a steam cleaner.

We also definitely smelled puke in the main dining room one night just as we walked in the doors. We dined 2nd seating so I think it must've been from the earlier seating. I'm glad our table was clear across the main dining room because I would've asked to be moved if we sat anywhere in the general area of that stink.

I got really germaphobic during that cruise. The week we traveled was Winter Break for all the schools here in NY and consequently our ship had a real high kid to adult ratio. 500 kids onboard out of 2000 passengers . In general I don't mind kids at all. In fact I like kids and I think the only problem I had with a kid (other than the diaper incident) was a 3 year old who was nice enough to hand me his french frie after he'd been chewing on it while I was eating at the Windjammer buffet.

Old March 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Laurie Qualls

ew this reminds me of our last cruise three years ago.....it was formal night and we were all decked out in our finer attire...I go to use the ladies room...come out and we are walking around near the gift shops..My husband looks at me and say omg what is that... i look down at my new pretty black pumps and attached is a gross and bloody maxi pad...not mine..i repeat not mine....people are so gross...just throwing things around expecting others to clean up after them... i was so embarresed...so many people were looking at me as i was kicking this thing away....i know you are thanking me for sharing lol Laurie....3 weeks four days until diamond princess cruise...:l
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
p.g.

Well the diaper change doesn't gross me out, BUT using a pool towel DOES! I bet those towels are not washed in boiling water( well may be they are now with all the virus problems ships have)
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

What amazes me is that YOU, saw 3 disgusting scenarios..talkk about bad luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Cruisin' Chick

I've seen parents/grandparents change diapers in public at malls too. Even putting bare bottom on places where people sit. EWWWW!!!! I really think there's no excuse for not taking infant/toddler to a restroom and changing diaper there. When my kid was in diapers, I always took a changing pad in the diaper bag so I can put her bottom on top of the pad on top of a changing table in a restroom (in no changing table, then the floor). There were a couple of times I had to shoo away women who were using the changing table for putting purse on while fixing faces, etc. Don't they realize the purpose of the table -- it would seem obvious, especially if there's a special pail for diapers or a diaper vending machine nearby.
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Laurie: You mentioned folks throwing things on the floor & expecting others to come behind them to pick things up, let me say from personal experience how amazed I am on a daily basis how rude & lazy people can be. I am a janitor, and get to experience "someone is coming behind me to take care of this, so who cares" everyday. I realize when people are on vacation they are taking the trip to relax & get away, but a lot of people proove when they are out of their home what little respect they have from anyone besides themselves.
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM
libbynan

Every time I leave my home these days, it seems I have some experience with someone that leaves me shaking my head and wondering how or where they were raised. From clerks who obviously think that actual work is not expected for drawing a paycheck to drivers who think no one else is on the road..... one can only conclude that many people aren't actually raising their children, just turning them out in the pasture to run wild. I loved the story about the restaurant hostess on the phone..... wish I had the nerve to reach out and take it away from some of these nitwits. I do agree that somehow it seems worse in an environment where you have paid for a, hopefully, nice experience and are more or less trapped with the offenders..... like on a cruise.
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Passenger

I agree its got to come down to how some folks were raised. I guess in their world its OK to do things like that. Its just too much effort sometimes to pipe up and make a comment or suggestion to someone when you catch them in the act.

Being that I was on vacation I really didn't feel like "getting into it" with some Mom wiping up her babies poopy behind 5 feet away from me. I was just mildly disgusted and dissapointed in how inconsiderate she was. I mean EVERY restroom, both Men's and Ladies, have baby changing stations in them. I didn't want to take the chance she'd flip out if I politely let her know there was a baby changing area right in the restroom. Then the next thing you know she tells me to mind my own G-damn business and then my wife will have to pop off and tell her to shut up and then the ladies husband will come over and it would've snowballed from there.

Old March 10th, 2005, 11:40 PM
H929

You know what really irks me??? People who have nothing better to do than complain about other peoples parenting skills...I mean honestly what you saw was disgusting and uncalled for but there are those times when a changing table is just really not an option..As the mother of three kids I can tell you I don't even dare go to the gas station without a tub of wipes so the idea of using a towel is just fowl but I have been known to leave the mall or the local Walmart to change my children in the comfort of my car. First have you ever looked at some changing tables? I know the back of my SUV is clean..carpets are regulary vacuumed and shampooed (obviously with 3 kids ) and on top of that I can keep a much better eye on the other 2 in the car as opposed to letting them touch the entire public restroom while I deal with a diaper...Even super moms only have 2 arms just like everyone else...
But before I am condemmed as the worlds worst parent let me tell you why I will never put my child on another public changing table..While at Disneyland on a family vacation my youngest daughter nedded a diaper change so like a good mom we spent a half an hour tracking down a bathroom then proceeded to wait in line behind 4 other kids getting diaper changes only to have one of those children relieve themselves just as the mother got the dirty diaper off and was unfolding the new diaper. Well after that I realized that no diaper bag changing pad is big enough to cover that whole table and while I do manage to carry just about every concievable need in the giant diaper bag (wipes, hand sanitizer, tylenol, extra clothes, bottles, etc, etc) I honestly don't have room and I don't think my shoulder could take carrying the giant bottle of bleach needed to sanitize the public changing table. So yes, the stroller, back of the car or even my lap if necessary is a safer option!!!!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Admiral

H929, we've changed in the back of the car etc before too because I totally agree, and as I can't comment on the change tables in womens washrooms, but in the family washrooms and men's room the tables are sometimes disgusting because people leave stuff behind etc.
But, there is a big difference between changing in the car, or on a bench out of the way in a park etc (which i have done), and right in sight of other people - actually all of the deck chairs etc are aimed towards the pool/hot tub area on most ships i've been on. This is not being judgemental of parenting skills, it is something that crosses the line because I believe it truly offends other people. It is unacceptable.

banker
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:03 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Author: H929 (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: 03-10-05 23:40

You know what really irks me??? People who have nothing better to do than complain about other peoples parenting skills...I mean honestly what you saw was disgusting and uncalled for but there are those times when a changing table is just really not an option.

H929...
I don't think anyone disagrees that sometimes there isn't an option, but in the OP's story ....there WAS another option....The parents could have taken the baby back to their cabin and changed him there. To change a baby's diapers (especially a poopie smelly one) out in public like that is unnecessary. Also....give the kid some dignity and privacy.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:57 AM
pg

H929,
As a mother of three also , I understand what you are saying, but, we are not talking about a nasty gas station or Walmart washroom . We are talking about a cruise ship, a nice clean cruiseship. No ones cabin is too far away to take the baby to change, the mom just didn't feel like it, may be she wasn't expecting it to be so messy, since she did in fact hand the baby off to dad to take somewhere( hopefull back to cabin for a wash) after she used a PUBLIC TOWEL ( I am sorry for yelling but that to me is just the grossest part of the story) to wipe up his bottom!!!

I don't actually have a problem with public diaper changes that are just wet, not soiled, and I don't think a baby worries about " dignity and privacy" . I do think that once the parents realized that the diaper was not just wet( and comeon how hard is that to check) they should have taken it back to the cabin for changing.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Passenger

Attached is a pic I took shortly after that diaper incident. My wife and I moved closer to the sun. In the pic you can see the guy in the white t-shirt farthest to the left. Thats pretty much where I was sitting. As you can clearly see we were pretty close (20- 30 ft?) to the Solarium and elevators where theres a couple of sets of bathrooms. The entire time this lady was changing her babys diaper I was thinking that there was a restroom just a few steps away. And even if the baby changing table in the restroom was dirty, then as a last resort she could've used the pool towel. But why insist on changing the baby right out on the pool deck?

Old March 11th, 2005, 08:20 AM
rockin'rick

Why does everyone call it poopie? It is fesses. It has germs and bacteria. Some could actually kill you if you smear it over your face. POOPIE KILLS! It isnít a joke. Stop making is sound so darn cute.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM
rockin'rick

Ok I'll have to go back to poopie, kaka, caacaa, poops bah-bah, number 2, pottie, and good old ploop. :-)
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Reen

familycruiser....tee...hee...heee

What does that mean? Is that a word, would I find that on dictionary.com? I suggest you use that site.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:33 AM
H929

Look I am not saying that the woman and her husband were right by any means..I think that it was absolutely disgusting and shows a complete lack of couth by the couple. My comment was for the people who were complaing about everyone that changes there child in public instead of a restroom. Like I said I prefer the back of my vehicle and yes I have seen that "look" You know the one paretns get when they are standing at the back of there own vehicle with the back open changing a diaper and those non parents walk by...Obviously they have never seen a changing table or tried to keep their other children from touching the foul public restroom. I agree completely the use of a public towel was gross, there is no excuse for not having wipes on hand as a parent. I am sorry if any one thought I was condoning that couples behavior I was not!!!! Just defending those of us who choose for one reason or another to not use a public changing table or refuse to lay them on a restroom floor (which by the way is almost as disgusting as the towel in my opinion...do you know what kind of germs people track around on their shoes YUCK)
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Reen

Familycruiser, why, you never made me feel intellectually inadequate! It is very rude to correct one's spelling!
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Admiral

I wouldunt korrekt wuns speling - but hell i wouldn't go to war if someone did mine.

Rockin Rick, it is a cute thing when a kid does it, it's poop and poopie, when an adult does it, it's a crap. When you doctor talks about it, it is feces, the often unwelcome, but sometimes very welcome result of a successful bowel movement.

banker