Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny
Default Kids in the Hot Tubs

Does this annoy anybody else? Why do parents assume "Hot Tub" equals "kiddie pool" ?? There were 4 hot tubs on the main pool deck (three were operational), and a single hot tub in the solarium. All were jam packed with kids, most looked under 10 yrs old.

I don't know if parents realize it but the reason why there is a sign in front of most hot tubs saying "no one under 16 permitted" isn't just because they don't want kids splashing around in the hot tub. Its actually because a childs body can't tolerate the superheated water the same as an adult. A childs body isn't physically able to dissipate heat the same as an adult and a kid WILL pass out eventually and you can figure out what happens next when a child passes out in 2 or 3 feet of water.

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Kids in the Hot Tubs

It's not anti-child; it's just that the rules state 16 and over so it should be followed. On Carnival ships, I believe it is 18 and older, but it's not enforced either. However, on our Elation cruise, the guard would shoo away the kids/teens to an unused hot-tub (there actually was one! ) when adults wanted to use one. I actually don't mind older kids/teens in the hot tubs. It's the small kids who like to dive to the bottom and kick everyone in their way that bug me.
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Interesting.........we travel 99% on Princess and they do not have that rule. Our son is aloud to be in the hot tub for short periods of time, WITH US, just like at home. Our doctor see's nothing wrong with it (he is 8 yrs. old, 5feet tall and 90 lbs) as long as its no longer than 15 minutes.
Does anyone know if their is an age minimum on RCCL ships. We're going in May?

Thanks.......Happy Sailing,
sea angel
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
pg

Most hot tubs on the ships I've been on areNOT superheated, more like lukewarm!
I personally do not care if kids want to sit in the hot tub , as long as they SIT( not play and splash) which most teens are capable of.
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Zack

Is it just me or does the hot tub water seem to have a yellow tint to it after the kiddos return to the pool? Oh well the hot tub is closer than the restrooms for a reason?

Of course I have the some concerns with some bubba with a bucket of beer that never leaves the hot tub......for any reason.

.......and I don't eat the yellow snow either. (Frank Zappa)
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Zack

I hate when that happens. Good thing all of the fish don't pee in the ocean or we wouldn't want to get in there either.... Oh well, it's big ocean and when you compare fish to water versus humans to hot tubs. I'd rather swim with sharks.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

we were on the sun last april,I don't mind the kids in the hot tubs midship,but when you are after in the adult only pool and hot tub and parents bring there kids there,kinda defeats the purpose of adult only pool.yea maybe they can't leave their kids midship to come to the adult by themselfs,but the parents should respect the other adults on the cruise and stay midships with their kids.

Old March 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM
rockin'rick

Familycruiser

I think you misunderstood Kevin very first post. He was concerned about children getting hurt in the hot tub. In defense of Kevin you shouldn’t have jumped all over him because he was concerned about having your or any other kids from pass out in a hot tub. The kids passout, sink and drown. Then no one has kids, you or him. So many parents want to let their kids explore the ship on their own but don’t realize that kids don’t know as much as parents and sometimes don’t know what is safe and not safe. It is up to us (parents) to protect our children. Please take care of them by not letting them take the risk of hurting themselves. Kids need our protection.
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Reen

Kids just don't belong in hot tubs. There are signs all over the place. If they are in when I go in the hot tubs, I will report it to the staff. I don't stay in the hot tubs hours and hours. If I go in, I don't expect children in there alone or with adults. I don't feel like being kicked or having kids fooling around. This is off limits to children. Of course safety is my biggest concern for them. So if lame, lazy, uncaring parents don't care for their children around hot tubs. We have to help them and tell staff members to remove them.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Reen

Yes, adults should know better to sit in the hot tub all day in the hot sun drinking beer. But, they are adults and can be in the hot tubs. Signs are posted all over for children to keep out. Very simple!
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM
h929

So you are just concerned for the children and they should obey the rules...That's great but aren't there other rules as well. Do you make sure they are all obeyed or complain when they are not?? Every hot tub should have a warning to people with heart disease, diabetes, high or low blood pressure, and pregnant women because they are supposed to consult a doctor before use...So all the old people popping pill after pill probably shouldn't be there. Then those of you sitting around drinking in the hot tub, there are plenty of warnings against that. Oh, and don't foret even those of you who are healthy as a horse you should never sit in a hot tub for more than 15 minutes at a time...So if we are going to follow the rules lets follow them all. So I guess the only ones left to utilize the hot tub are...... well does that leave anyone?
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
rockin'rick

Why not just give up folks? Lets let the kids in the hot tubs, give them a few beers and let they smoke a cigarette or two. (Since they don’t obey the rules who cares if they also smoke ) While they are doing that we can all put on some diapers and run down to kiddy pool and go down the Dino slide and have some fun.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
rockin'rick

Well lets see H929

You said
“So you are just concerned for the children and they should obey the rules...That's great” at this point it looks like you agree that people should obey the rules. You said it was Great. We all agree right folks?………………………

You also asked “but aren't there other rules as well.” No,,,, No, there aren’t!

My point is you can’t (nor do the rules permit you to) throw out the old, heart diseased, pregnant, diabetic, with alternating high and low blood pressures, that must take pill after pill, to keep healthy as a horse and wishes drink buckets or helmets of beer, who will extend their stay in the hot tub for more that 15 minutes.

Again there are no rules about such people (they CAN go in the hot tubs) however; there are rules about kids. For all you parents that don’t watch you kids or refuse to teach them to follow the rules…. One dive under water with their dumb goggles, one kick or scratch to my person, one splash fight, is all it takes for me to have them kicked out. If you don’t want the staff members to embarrassed you be a good parent and keep them out. If people don’t want to follow the rules don’t get on the ship. How simple is that?
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
sls

It annoys me that the hot tubs aren't very hot.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
rockin'rick

Well THEY think they are diving. They put their hands together over their head in the position of the dive and jump feet first off the seat and fall over everyone’s legs, over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and over and over again. Usually shouting as loud and they can LOOK MOMMY, LOOK MOMMY LOOK MOMMY LOOK MOMMY LOOK MOMMY! And mommy is no where to be found or she thinks we all love her little darling as much as she does and will not mind her kid disobeying the hot tub rules.
What a pain…you are right though…. when Rockin’Rick is in the hot tub blow the whistle, ring the bell or do anything you can to save the poor little ones. Because they are getting the old heave-ho by the crew. (Unless they are well behaved and sit quietly)
Sure they can do anything they want in the big pool THERE ARE NO RULES SAYING THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED THERE. Oops I shouted, didn’t I? J
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
rockin'rick

I can’t remember I’ve been on 20 to 25 cruises; we try to take three a year. It doesn’t matter what ship you are on. You can cruise on the QE2, It’s not the ship it’s the parents. Please don’t get me wrong I love kids. I was one myself. If a child or children come up and ask, can we come in the hot tub I would never say no, I will tell them to sit down (take off those stupid dorky goggles) and tell me about your cruise. That usually works great. It can be very interesting talking to young kids. I enjoy hearing what the kids think about the ship and activities. It’s just when the little darlings aren’t supervised and are allowed to treat the hot tub as a playground is when the trip to the staff members becomes necessary. It’s not WATCH OUT FOR RICK KIDS... It's WATCH OUT FOR RICK PARENTS. They are the ones that get embarrassed when they are told to follow the rules. Please parents control your offspring if they can't sit quietly in the adult hot tubs.Take them to see DINO the kiddy pool slide. Explain that the adults can't go on the Dino slide because it is for kids and Kids can't go into the hot tubs because it is for adults. My posts are getting too long to read I think I will stop now.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
rockin'rick

HEY KIDS CHECK THIS OUT! DINO SLIDE YEAAAAA FUN FUN FUN
Who want's to go in that dirty old hot tub when you can got on..... YES THE DINO SLIDE
ATTENTION ALL KIDDIES DINO IS HERE it's for you YEEE HAAAAA

Old March 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
rockin'rick

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=09&year=2005&day=22&hour=16:00[/img]
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:19 PM
rockin'rick

oops forget the last post
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Yeoman

Rick is that a picture of a HOT TUB right beside the Dino Slide? May be not the best location for a hot tub eh?!

We have never seen the behaviour you described( athough I am sure it has happened) but I do have a complaint about the groups( ADULTS) that sit and drink in the hot tubs for hours and make you feel like an intruder if you come in, not by saying anything , just by looks.
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:15 AM
rockin'rick

I think it IS a kiddie hot tub. The adult ones are in the spa area and the mid ship pool area. As far as the adult groups I just ease myself into the warm water and talk and smile. If they don't answer me, I just keep asking questions until they do or get up and walk away. If that doesn't work ask them if THEY have any contagious dieses then start to caugh and don't stop till they leave. If you start scratching your body parts at the same time they will get out real fast. If enter the hot tub alone Introduce your invisable friend to everyone and ask them if they could look for your right eye in the water.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Zack

OK! Everyone out of the Hot Tub!

We need a time out and I think we should change the water, it's looking a little funky. What is that floating on the top. Looks like a Baby Ruth candy bar. Ugh!
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

That kid with the goggles was on one of my cruises - he was sooo annoying. He just had to dive to the bottom of the hot tub. He splashed and kicked and ruined my time to relax. I had to tell him his mother was calling him! Of course, his mother wasn't around anywhere. I blame the parents for the kids being unsupervised - where are the parents?
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Zack

The parents are the ones passed out at the poolside bar. You don't think they can raise those kids sober do you? : O~
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I have to jump in here and say that in every cruise I seem to remember kids jumping around and playing in the hot tubs. This is wrong and against the rule. I don't care if mommy and daddy don't care if it is unhealthy or not or if that can be proven. The sign plainly states adults only. That is a rule and not an request or advisory. I have seen kids with swimmies, goggles, facemasks, swim fins, snorkles, etc in these tubs and that is wrong, period. If I happen to be in there and the kid jumps in equipped like Jacque Costoue (sp), then I will speak up and tell them this is not allowed and to leave and I don't mich care if mommy or daddy hears me either. I am nice about it but firm. If one of these kids jumps in the tub or splashes or otherwise acts like a kid then I tell them that is not allowed and they need to leave. Come on folks, lets place some common sense restrictions on these kids. Don't accuse me of being a kid hater either as I raised 7 and was very active in childrens sports and activities while my kids were growing up. I just know the diferance in doing what is right and what is wrong.
Jim

Old March 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
cali-croozer

The goggle kid was on my cruise too.........boy, he must cruise a lot. I told him that adults were in the hot tub now and he needed to sit down. Didn't last long before he just had to explore the depth of the tub again!
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Jim, that's it., got it in one. Will they listen, no. My gripe is with people who actually disagree with the original post

Their bottom line line is the kids are paying passengers, can do and will do what they like as we have paid and we are on vacation....The lines they turn a blind eye as they dont want the hassle.

And although I agree with the tone Jim, enforcement of rules should not be down to us, but the line.

If they dont enforce their signs or rules, its a dangerous place to go especially with kids with what you see as acceptable and freedom to chastise for not following the rules that you as an adult would expect

Bottom line is, if you are prepared in todays society to take all that on board and have the balls to do it go for it, I would and do.

There are too many people out there that due to potential confrontation or litegation will get stressed, step back, and allow individuals to nearly spoil their vacation and just sit there taking it

Then they come on here and moan about others. like these people made my expensive cruise hell, but now I''ve vented I feel better. Not the way the deal with it

As a society I see these these people and their children who do not have respect for others or rules growing daily in number. God help us
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM
rockin'rick

I HAVE THE END-ALL SOLUTION.
COPY MY PICTURE AND HANG IT ALL AROUND THE HOT TUBS
TELL THEM HE DOESN’T BOTHER ADULTS! BUT HE LOVES TO EAT LITTLE KIDS!

Old March 13th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Yeoman

Ha ha too funny, good pic.
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

You know, besides the safety issue for children in hot tubs...I'd just like to think that there are just a few sacred placesin the world where an adult can go that's childfree. And, the hot tubs are one of them. When I sit in a hot tub it's with the goal of pure relaxation, which is difficult to do with squealing "cherubs" running around and splashing. Frankly, that's why you rarely find me in hotel pools. Now, if teens want to use it, and it's deemed safe, I don't care - as long as they don't take it over for the week or use it as a makeout spot. (Ew.) And, before anyone accuses me of not liking children, I taught elementary school for several yeras and now work in a toy store. Just my 2 cents.