Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker
Default Higher Tips in a Suite

Why is the suggested tip higher in a suite?

It can't be that suites usually have 3 or 4 people, because the suggested tip is based per person

If the smallest avg. suite is 30% larger than the largest non suite cabin, it can't be the extra 30% floor space and vacuuming

It could be that the attendants in suites have less cabin's to attend to and therefor make less money, and the cruise line doesn't pay them more for suites, so they conveniently pass the cost on to the customer as a "suggested" tipping guideline

What are your thoghts?

banker
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Higher Tips in a Suite

Not sure why myself. Our family of 6 has an owners suite for 2 and an inside cabin for 4., I prepaid the tips and paid $234.00 for 4 night cruise on RC. That is approx. $9.75 p.p. per day, whats the break down according to room?
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I haven't seen where extra tipping is suggested for suite passengers... other than where butler service is offered.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Higher Tips in a Suite

It is because the stateroom is bigger, the bathroom is bigger and includes a bathtub and I would suspect because of this the attendant has fewer cabins. Junior Suites on RCI are approx. 50% larger than the best balcony cabin. The daily amount is $5.75 vs. $3.50 per person. I would also suspect the ship's better attendants are looking after these cabins. We had a JS last week- it was great.
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I just looked on the Royal Caribbean website and they now have a "Suite Attendant" listed as another service person. They still list the cabin steward at $3.50 p/p a day.

I know they did not have this on a Junior Suite las May. A Junior Suite was just a larger cabin with none of the suite amenities. The Suite Attendant must be doing something very special at $5.75 p/p a day.

Bob: What did this Suite Attendant do for you that the Cabin Steward didn't? It had to be something like a butler on Celebrity to even come close to warrant a tip in that range.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Yeoman

We have a owner's suite with no butler, no gift bottle, or anything special. I have heard that Royal Carribean takes care of her passengers with suites on the longer 7 day + cruises, but like those of us on the smaller trips get shafted. Seems truley unfair to me, if they want to call it a suite, it should be given some nice extra ammenity, something at least, lord knows you are paying for it!
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM
Yeoman

I checked around, and I too have not found where suite passengers need to tip higher. I read somewhere in another tread that once aboard, Rc invite you to a gathering of sorts and explains to you how they pay thier staff and how important tips are to them! We are first time cruisers. This seamed kinda tacky to us. I already know how important tips are to anyone, just don't tell me a company would be sane enough to explain "we pay these dear people poorly, so please make up for it!".
Seem's strange, anyone know if it's true? When we prepaid our tips, we were charges per person $9.75 a night, did'nt matter what room they were in too.
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Higher Tips in a Suite

He didn't do anything special and nothing over and above the normal duties of lower category staterooms is req'd. He was a great attendant though. The funny thing is if you read RCI's documents they show the gratuity rate for suites is $5.75 pp/pd yet when I prepaid gratuities on my SeaPass I was charged the std.$3.50. The Junior suites seem to fall into a "no-mans land" area. I made up the extra anyway plus a bonus on top of that. We had no problems and no worries-everything with our cabin was just great.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny

It was my wife and I, and out daughter on the fold out couch of a junior suite. We paid pretty much exactly what the little guide they give you on the ships says you should pay. I'm guessing Suites are bigger, sometimes they have more people in them, and so therefore they take more time to clean??? So thats why you pay more gratuity for the cabin attendant? [maybe?]

That said we were fairly happy with our cabin attendant. After the very first day she adjusted her schedule to our comings and goings. She got used to the time we woke up in the morning, the time we came back to the room in the afternoon to change for dinner and she filled our ice bucket twice a day. We always had plenty of clean towels and she was very friendly. I think we gave her $3.75 a day?

We did give extra $$ to our assistant waiter, and the headwaiter who was FANTASTIC! A true service professional.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I just want to make sure I have this clear. I haven't had my second cup of coffee.

The Suite Attendant is not "an additional" person. They are a cabin attendant for suite passengers. Is that correct?

I would still not feel that category JS cabins on most RCI ships do not warrant this. Cat JS cabins are, in most cases, only about 25% larger than cat D balcony cabins. I guess that would be another gripe. <g>

I can see where a larger tip is warranted for suites. They take longer, suite passengers often demand more of an attendants time and because of this the attendants usually have less cabins.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
gerif

JR suites are NOT considered suites on RCL (except for priority boarding and an extra cruise credit) - you do not get concierge benefits, etc., and therefore tip as for a regular cabin. For anything higher, the new $5.75 suggested tip per person is in effect.
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

So are the attendants in suites paid more as well as tipped more. I am assuming suite passengers pay comparatively more, often are repeat cruisers with that line, cruise more in general on all lines (so more attention to their satisfaction; ie the cruise line potentially gains a frequent cruiser than one who cruises periodically), possibly suite passengers have a little more dough to throw around on excursions, gambling, on board purchases etc.

I am also assuming suite attendants are more reliable, have proven their consistency in their job, and generally are the more experienced and valued of all attendants on a ship.

It's not a really a gripe, but more of a question.

banker