Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Kids in the hot tubs!

IF there's one thing that I don't like it's parents who let their kids run around. A sign posted on the hot tub says something like "no bratty kids". Then why are there 18 kids in the hot tub? It's not just for a few minutes . . . NO! . . . it's for a solid hour or more! Of course, Carnival employees don't say anything to them so they just run around DIVING and spilling their drinks.

How do you handle somebody else's kid running around? Do you say something to them?

If the kids are out of control and on the verge of an accident, I'll point at them with a mean look on my face to let them know to cool it. Kids these days, will give you a dirty look right back after they flip you off!
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Kids in the hot tubs!

Sorry Rochesterny! I didn't see your posting about kids in hot tubs until I hit "post"! I promise, I will finish my coffee before posting anything else!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
First Mate

HappyCruiser... I too am bothered by the way parents (and I use that word lightly) let their kids run about on cruises. We travel with our son who is now 8 and we are with him all of the time, except when he is in the kids club. One problem I that I see.....is the kids clubs on many cruise lines let the kids sign themselves in and at age 8. NOT for my kid. No way. We are thinking maybe at age 12. If parents think that their kid is safe on a ship with 1-3 thousand people.......they are crazy. When you check in, you need to provide citizenship, not your criminal record. Think about it. How many ships have a child molester onboard? How would you know. Watch you kids........thats your job.
Happy sailing,
sea angel
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
First Mate

One more thing........our son sits in the hot tub with us on ships that allow children in hot tubs. Like Princess. If their is a restriction of age in a pool or hot tub or area of the ship..we do not let him in. What concept.....following the rules.
sea angel
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
pg

That might be part of the problem, some cruiselines allow children in the hot tubs, others don't. It is possible that cruisers who have been on a line that allows kids in the hot tubs doesn't realize that the line they are now on does not. Of course that would only be an intial mistake excuse, but not unrealistic, as most kids over the age of 12 are not being followed around by the parents all the time.
I do agree that the obnoxious behaviour by some kids is terrible, but, not all kids are like that, I have been on Princess cruises( where kids are allowed in the hotubs) and sat next to quiet well behaved kids in the hot tub. That does not bother me, it is the yelling screaming , splashing and jumping kids that are disruptive.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:36 PM
cali-croozer

pg......I could be wrong, but I think I saw signs right on the hot tubs, on Carnival, stating the age policy. People just ignore it.

On the Elation, when a bunch of older kids (teens) were using the hot tub and adults came over, security would make the kids go to an unused hot tub (there actually was one!). I'm with you about kids/teens........if they're actually sitting there, and there's room for them, no big deal. It's the diving ones that drive me nuts (you know, they've got goggles and have a need to explore the bottom of the hot tub, kicking and splashing on the way down). Last time, I just told this junior diver to sit still since adults were in the hot tub (didn't last long), but on the next cruise, I'm going to kick them out (or have security do it) before I get in-------again, goggle kids, not older kids just sitting there.

Wish me luck!
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:39 AM
pg

Cali, oh, I guess I wasn't very clear. What I meant is the parents may not realize that there is a sign on the hot tub, and not realize ( at first anyways) that their child is not allowed in the hot tub. And , yes, the kids can read, but kids do break rules, I guess I am just giving some parents the beneifit of the doubt that they are not aware of the rules, as opposed to being " bad parents".

PS Good luck with your plan, I too had a plan to throw deck chairs savers towels away( or get staff to move it) and get a good deck chair( after seeing one empty for an hour or so) but I chickened out on board.
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:24 AM
JPHC

i have 4 kids well mannered and never allow them inthe hot tub.too many people in them and they never get up to use the bathroom.kind of worries me.
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

"A sign posted on the hot tub says something like "no bratty kids".----duct taping BRATTY kids to the deck might work

"That does not bother me, it is the yelling screaming , splashing and jumping kids that are disruptive." ----So in other words, kids shouldn't behave like KIDS on a cruise. They should behave more like little adults. Always thought part of being a kid was to splash, jump around and have fun. I can agree that at times some kids may be out of control and obnoxious but as for most of them, they're just BEING KIDS. If kids in the hot tubs are that disruptive, talk to the staff and have them take care of the problem.

Old April 4th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Passenger

This is actually a pet peeve of mine not because it bothers me to have kids in the hot tub while I'm there. But more because I have 2 kids of my own and I don't allow them in the hot tub. First not to disturb other adults, we've always taught our kids that hot tubs are for grown ups and not a thing for play time.

But second because hot tubs can be dangerous for kids to play around in. Aside from the dangers of jumping or diving into shallow hot tubs. There is a danger with children (especially girls with long hair) swimming in the hot tub and their hair becoming entangled in the parts of the hot tub. Also, children's bodies do not regulate temperature as quickly as adults. Therefore they can not be in hot tubs as long as adults without side effects. Finally children do not understand the time contraint issues of a hot tub. It isn't like a swimming pool that you can stay in for hours if you choose. Staying in hot water for too long of a period can produce nasty side effects on your body.

H

C Sensation July, 1995
C Fascination January, 1995
C Fantasy August, 1994
C Mardi Gras August, 1993
C Sensation December 1992
C Fantasy November 1991
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:17 PM
pg

Jumping and splashing are fine for the regular pool. Hot tubs are not " play areas" they are meant to " soak " in. I have no sympathy for people who complain that they don't like to get their hair wet and therefore kids should not be allowed to splash or play around in the swimming pool. I do not expect kids to quietly sit in the pool , or swim laps leisurely.

Kids can be kids, but they also should be in the process of learning how to behave in an appropriate manner depending on where they are. My husband , being a man, likes to reach down sometimes and " adjust " himself, he has learned not to do that at a business meeting, or in the dining room. !

Being on vacation does not mean a complete abandonment of rules and manners. Gosh, I have been known to burp at the table at home, I would never do that in the dining room of any restaurant !
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Admiral

My error for my post about jumping, splashing kids. My eyes and brain took it as being any splashing, jumping not specifically in the hot tub. SORRY about that. Yes, I agree kids shouldn't be doing this in the hot tub, especially long haired girls (or boys). If kids are sitting with their parents and are not disruptive, that should be okay. Kids without parents shouldn't be allowed anywhere near water.

Sorry again for my reading and comprehension error. I just started this weekend to give up caffienated coffee and just drink decaf. Maybe that was a mistake.

Post Edited (04-04-05 14:02)
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Kids in the hot tubs!

BTW--celebrity cruiser, your point is very excellent.

Old April 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

Excellent point,Celebrity Cruiser.

I really don't have a problem asking children, firmly but kindly, to play in other areas. They may look at me a little funny, but they usually respond. As I said on another thread about this very subject, I unapologetically believe that some spaces need to be kept sacred for adults, and a hot tub is one of them. It's for relaxing, and soaking amidst squealing, splashing children is not relaxing in the least. We have playgrounds, playspaces, and pools just for children - not adults. People should respect the spaces that go the other way.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Then I think that some spaces should be reserved for kids. Like maybe one of the pools has a rule that if an adult gets splashed there, they can't complain. My brothers and I could not do anything on our last cruise, because we weren't allowed in the hot tubs, and when we started playing volleyball in the big pool, a woman sitting on the edge started yelling at us for getting her hair wet.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Admiral

The hot tub should be for adults and maybe supervised children only. But if someone is sitting by a pool meant for all, they should expect to get splashed. I know on the Disney Cruise ships they have a children's pool, a family pool and an adult pool. Are there other cruise lines with this type of arrangement? There are adults that can be just as annoying as kids as far as the pool is concerned. (I should know, I have inlaws like that )

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Are the parents going to sue the cruise lines when their kids get sick or die for sitting in a hot tub to long? Medically a young child should not be in a hot tub, period. Adults are only to sit in them for 15 min, that is why they have timers.
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
mopgenius

This is coming from a janitor that cleans a facility with an enforced adult only whirlpool, it is best to avoid getting in the whirpools. The whirlpool at my facility gets shut down at least 1x per week to replace the filters due to the following: People using the whirlpool as a bathtub & clogging the filters with soap, and the ever popular "there is more than water in the tub"! There is a myth out there, if you keep kids out of them they will stay clean, I agree with the keeping kids out of them.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Admiral

mopgenius--you have convinced me to stay out of them.

Old April 6th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Reen

This is a repeated post over and over. On the lines we have been on, signs are posted No Children in Hot Tubs! What is so hard to understand? Adults only!
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello.
This is coming from a teen. Please do not disregard this because of my age. I just want to ask that you understand that for some and most kids a cruise is a once in a lifetime chance. They are just being kids and they are just trying to make the most out of a limited chance. I feel as if you are discriminating towards ALL kids that ALL kids splash around and dive and spill their drinks and wet themselves in the tub and all parents are irresponsible raising their kids.
Have you heard of Solariums? I know that RCCL has Solariums. I'm not sure about the other cruise lines. But, if you haven't heard about them... they are 100% KID FREE. You must be 18 or older to get in and they are pretty strict about it. I mean, kids can walk through there to get to another part of the ship, but they can't swim or buy from the snack bar. If you do have them on your cruise, please use them and let us kids be kids.
My family and I went on a cruise on the Explorer and we didn't see any of that behavior. Please don't be so quick to judge. And also... I'm curious to know if that sign REALLY did say "No BRATTY kids." Thank you.

Past Cruises:
Explorer of the Seas---October '04
Vision of the Seas------February'06

Next Cruise:
Liberty of the Seas---March 8th-15th, 2008
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Admiral

"Kids being kids" is the problem! Adults don't want that behavior in certain areas and the hot tub is one of them. The dining room is another. The show lounge is another.

There are teen areas, pool deck, video arcades, rock climbing, ice skating, sports deck, et.al. where "kids being kids" behavior is all right.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
pcboston

I have also heard that hot tubs are dangerous for children, and when mine were young, would never allow them in it anywhere we stayed. I have read about children's long hair getting pulled into the outflow drain as well, and of drowning that has occurred.That is just too horrible to think about, and parents should be aware. It is not a place for diving. Sadly, none of the restrictions that make sense seem to apply anymore, in too many areas of life. Being on vacation should not mean leaving your common sense and manners at home. It is not right to enhance your vacation by spoiling someone elses.
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Thank goodness for gay cruises. I would hate having kids all over the place. We don't have to worry about that - just adults. The exception would be Rosie's cruises - and even that would drive me nuts.

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Passenger

I'm a teenager and have saved money from various side jobs for over a year to afford a cruise. I'm going with a friend's family. Some young people do pay for their own cruises.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM
borntocruisejp

Default Re: Re: Kids in the hot tubs!

kmansfield13, you sound like may daughter. She went to work at a grocery store at 15. Not because she had to, because she wanted her own money. She is now in real estate & banking. Some kids are just a little brighter & see how to get ahead, while others try to see how rude & obnoxious they can be. I am proud of you & I am sure the people you are going with are proud to have you along. Have a great voyage!!!!

jp
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

I saw on TV about 4 adults died from sitting in a hot tub drinking beer for hours. Goes to show you, not all adults are smart enough to use a hot tub. People with high blood pressure are not supposed to use a hot tub. It is very dangerous for these kids to be sitting out in the hot sun in a hot tub for hours, are the parents (or cruise lines) not smart enough to know this?
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
famlycruiser

I think I know who those people were...on our last cruise 2 couples literally parked themselves in the hot tubs while having beer delivered to them from sun-up 'til sundown. Incredibly inconsiderate of them to monopolize the hot tub that way.
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Admiral

familycruiser--I would have joined them and started asking all kinds of personal questions just to bug them and to be a royal pain in the butt. Maybe then they would have left. <VBG>

Old April 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Yeoman

People can get so upset over kids being called brats etc. In some cases they ARE brats! My ex-boyfriend's boy is a prime example. He would tear books to shreds, use markers on the walls then blame other kids (even though another adult saw him do it). His father would pat him on the back and say "it's ok son" then babble about how the boys mom is a real looser. Some kids are just NOT taught how to be responsible for their actions and are sometimes encouraged to "vent" through destruction.

Kids can be taught (without beatings) to respect other people and obey rules. My own kids (I have 4 of them - ages 9 to 21), are in no way perfect but I always watched them to make sure they weren't being disrespectful. When I was by the hot tub that day at sea, there were 4-5 kids running all over the place. Not ONE parent ever showed up to control their kids. What's up with that?

Holiday May 2000