Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: fat people

Hey SA,,,,, yeah I'm back and kicking butt. You take care

NEXT
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Dave the wave,

Congratulations on your perfect choices and self control in the eating area. I personally choose to be a bit overweight and avoid alcohol and tobacco. But if you choose to have liver failure and lung cancer that is up to you. It doesn't bother me.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I am overweight. I learned a long time ago that I just have to ignore the ignorant others who are rude enough to stare or make rude remarks. I refuse to hide and have no life. I am here I am going to live my life. If someone does not like what they see I say look in another direction. I like the person I am and am not ashamed of being heavy. go and have the time of your life.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 25th, 2005, 04:35 PM
college guy

I always say that beauty is in the heart and in the head. Don't worry about what others think. It is what you carry inside that counts. Having said this, go and enjoy your cruise.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: fat people

"People who count don't care what you weigh."
So very true - only the small minded judge people solely on personal appearance.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Captain

Default fat people

I have been FLUFFY all my life. A few years ago I started one of those
12 step programs, and it has helped a lot. We now tackle the problem
one step at a time, beginning with an appetizer and a large sweet tea.

A good friend is someone who will explain to others why you weigh so much.
Your best friend has as much chocolate on her face as you do.

Happy cruising

Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Passenger

and I am having the gatric by-pass surgery tomorrow!! Serious.....

Old May 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don't worry about it. I find, sadly, that people care much more about themselves than others, so no one will notice you in general unless you have sparklers coming out of your ears.
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have a weight problem myself, but for health reasons I have lost weight and will continue to work on it. So many problems come from being overweight.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Being overwieght, or lets just be frank, fat, is sometimes because of your personal habits but sometimes for other reasons beyond our control. I do not judge people by their weight, rather by their mind and who they are. I do not like to see people overweight as I know it is bad for them and leads to many health problems but do not judge them. If they are good friends, try to understand and encourage them to lose weight. I had almost zero fat on me, (no I was not a bodybuilder or some macho superman, just very active), until I turned 39/40 and that is when they started using steriods on me for pain relief and to treat bone injuries. I got fat, and I am still fat as far as I am concerned. I have just started an exercise program that I hope will help not only lose unwanted fat but improve the muscle structure and help control the chronic pain. Right now I am 220 and hope to get back to 190 at least. My proper 'fighting' wieght is 175/180 but I know I can kiss that goodbye being 55 now. <G>
Jim

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

It's not so!

banker
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Passenger

People will whisper and stare just as much on a cruise ship as they do elsewhere.

Take that as you will.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Admiral

What always amazes and saddens me is why people always judge others based on appearance.

Such unacceptable behaviour used to be based on your color, creed or country of origin etc. All of which today are not PC and most sensible people would never comment on.

What is going on here? Do we constantly need new victims, because its human nature?

If that is the case, lets start with fat people as they are different, we cant do colored, jews, catholics no more!,,,,Acceptable no it’s disgraceful

So what if everyone becomes thin,,,,,who gets it next? Those not as thin as the thinnest ones? People who have had cosmetic surgery, and don’t look like someone of their age?

The world and its people give plenty of targets for people who target their own inadequacies onto others

Post Edited (05-27-05 14:23)
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM
First Mate

"The world and its people give plenty of targets for people who target their own inadequacies onto others"
Very true.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Admiral

I've started an exercise program.
I do 20 sit-ups each morning.
That may not sound like a lot, but you can only hit that snooze button so many times.

Well, alittle bit of humor before I talk seriously. Anyway, people should be judged for who they are on the inside not by how they are on the outside. I used to read my kids a book about the Berenstain Bears. The family had a bunch of apples. One of the apples was perfect on the outside but rotten on the inside. Another one of the apples was ugly and misshaped on the outside but perfect on the inside. So to quote an old saying--"Never judge a book by it's cover." Just be the best you can be and love yourself first. The love in your heart will shine through for all to see.

Old May 27th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Nice Cheryl C.,

my exercise program every morning is 20 push-ups - that may not sound like a lot - but use your imagination.....

banker
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Banker - only 20 - I thought you had more "stamina" than that being a Canadian and all eh! TTFN Jennifer
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Passenger

The reason I try to lose weight BEFORE a cruise is so that I don't have to bring a larger size for the flight home!

Old May 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Elastic is my friend!

Old May 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Passenger

My all-time favorite expression: "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." Jerijohn, don't pay ignorant creeps who wrongly judge any kind of mind - and I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that 99 times out of 100 do not.

Have FUN!
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

"It's not how you feel, it's how you look...and you look mahvelous!"

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Brandt Zutphen

Dear Friends:

God made each of us how he made us and that is that.

My Companion used to be "built", muscular and all that nonsense.....then Male Menopause kicked in with a vengeance about five years ago...so now he is an incredibly ethical, lovable, intelligent and well educated "pleasingly plump" loyal man that still believes in absolute Love, Loyalty and Devotion Unto Death. I will take a wonderful "Pleasingly Plump" Companion to have enjoyed the last 12 years with (and hopefully will enjoy many more with...) than some skinny young promiscious "twinky" anyday!!

So, you may be plump, so what....you have your own unique beauty that God made you with and we look forward to seeing you on a future cruise!!!

Mackie % Brandt
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Male menopause?? Never heard of such a thing. Doesn't menopause mean the cessation (pausing) of menstruating??

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
Average Joe

God made people thin and some got fat. We all weighed 5-10 lbs. at one point. If you have picked up a paper or magazine you would see doctors / Surgeon General describing an "epidemic" of obesity, not pleasing plump, in primarily the USA. This isn't normal, or good or defensible and certainly not pleasing to even the most tolerant observer.
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Good point Joe. Sedentary lifestyles and poor eating habits are the big culprit. Supersize me! My step mother went from 5'2" and 110 to 5'0" and 225. She lays around alot eating and complaining of her kness, ankles and back hurt. She says it is arthritis. I think I would hurt too if I had an extra 100 pounds on me.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Actually Dave there really is such a thing! Men go through hormone changes as well, just not as drastic as women. The good news is that it really does not have anything to do with weight gain. I happened to give blood last week and got a letter from the blood bank telling me that they checked my cholesterol for me and that I should be pleased to know that it is 192 and I have a very high level of the kind that is good as well so it is really in wonderful shape as far as my cholesterol is concerned! Now if only I am able to get the 'fluffiness' off my belly I will be happy. <G>
Jim

Old June 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Admiral

That is good Jim. I give blood every time the Blood Mobile comes to the dealership (quarterly). One of my sons needed some when he was born after so many blood oxygen tests and I gave some then too. We are the same type. Even though mine did not go directly into him it was symbolic. He still thinks it did and thanks me for giving my blood for him. I mainly do it for the free t-shirts.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Honesty from the people that love you goes a long way too. rather than ignoring the problem, if someone came out and told you the truth (provided it was not a medical issue, but lifestyle etc) then that works, at least for us.

Rather than the "I love you the way you are" or "sure, those pants look great on you" thing, if my wife puts on an extra pound I tell her. "I know you can look better and be healthier" really works.

Once...she asked if we were going to dinner and I asked if her ass was invited too! Okay, so she beat the **** out of me for that one, but constructive stuff really works.

She does the exact same when my gut starts to venture out before the rest of me too.

We both run every day and even if it does [edited] her off or she me, then I get extra motivated to run that much harder that day.

The biggest benefit, is that our kids (6 and 7) see what we do every day and somewhere somehow it is being registered in their little minds the importance of exercise and lifestyle and its effects on stress, our relationship, tolerance, job performance, and overall happiness etc.

banker

PS- Mackie and brandt, skinny and young does not equal promiscuity. I believe that healthy mind and soul equals happiness and fulfillment equals less promiscuity. It has nothing to do with fat.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Well put Banker. Some one once asked me, "Does this dress make me look fat?" I said, "No, your a** makes you look fat."

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Hence the reason you are now divorced Dave! <VBG> I just love that commercial where the guy is reading the paper and eating and the wife walks in and says "Don't these pants make me look fat?" and he says "You betcha". You just KNOW he is in deep trouble. <> I have learned that even if her belly is flopping over her belt line you say she looks just great and she is as hot as she was when she was 20. Keeps me off the couch a lot. <G>
Jim