Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91 (permalink)  
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: metrowest area of Massachusetts
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: fat people

cruiseguy--that's my problem too. Instead of being 5 feet 2 inches, I should have been 5 feet 6 inches. Then my height and weight would be a perfect match.

__________________
Cheryl C.
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 485
Default Re: Re: fat people

"A fit punishment for you fat bashers would be to have to go on predisone...."
I know exactly what you mean - I had to go on predisone (briefly thank God) - it's amazing how ignorant some people are about health issues that can make you "fat".
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 1,320
Default Re: fat people

Cheryl - based on your height to weight ratio I need to be about 6'4" lol. TTFN Jennifer
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Dave the Wave's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St Petersburg, Florida
Posts: 6,349
Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: fat people

If you are overweight, all you have to do is eat less and move around more.

__________________
Dave the Wave AKA- Diamond Dave


Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 946
Default Re: fat people

Oh, if that were only true!

Thanks,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)  
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 365
Default Re: fat people

I am one that is size 2/4 and I am not a "fat" basher. I look at the inside of all people. It is the same for us, you wouldn't know how many times I have been told I'm anorexic.
I wouldn't wish prednisone on anyone. My son with cancer had to take it, nothing to joke about. Quit worrying about fat,skinny, enjoy life and EVERYONE in it, it is far too short. Have a great cruise!

258 till cruise on Carnival Liberty
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old June 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
jerijohn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: fat people

I never realized I would start all these posts when I wrote the original post. We took our cruise to Mexico in late April. OH MY GOD. How did I get to be 4** well never mind, how did I get to be my age and miss something as wonderful as cruising? Loved it. Size didn't matter a bit. Course I'm not one to run around in my bathing suit, but I did go swimming in Costa Maya, and we rented a golf cart in Cozumel and wandered around. I guess after reading some of the posts before I wrote the original post I had forgotten how cruel some people can be. I try not to let anything stop me in doing what I want, but every once in a while I get weak. When I wrote the post, that was one of those moments. To people of size-Go. It's the experience of a life time. There may be things you can't do because of your size, so don't do them. Everything is up to you. It was great. We're looking to go again, maybe February to Grand Caymen. I tried to talk my hubby into selling the house and investing in powerball tickets, then when we win we could cruise all the time. He seems to think if we bought every ticket but 2, one of those 2 would win--such negative thinking! Anyway, thanks to those who encouraged, and shame on all you negative people. You had better hope your looks are not the first thing to go, because with your personalities, you're definetly going to lead a lonely life.
Reply With Quote
  #98 (permalink)  
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: metrowest area of Massachusetts
Posts: 2,249
Default Re: fat people

Glad you had a great time on your cruise. You seem to have a positive outlook on life no matter what. Only problem is you can't win at Powerball because I'm going to.

__________________
Cheryl C.
Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM
celticmom2's Avatar
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 3
Default overweight and content

Dave,
I think its great how you have a routine of eating right and exercising. It's the smoking that will get you, though. I'm a bit overweight but don't smoke. I'll take diabetes over emphysema any day. I'd rather not smother to death, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)  
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolou525 View Post
Glad you had a great time on your cruise. You seem to have a positive outlook on life no matter what. Only problem is you can't win at Powerball because I'm going to.
I will be happy to see a Red Sox fan win the powerball.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #101 (permalink)  
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza
Posts: 510
Default

The Number One killer of Americans today is Obesity and obesity-related diseases.

Not ALL fat people got that way by uncontrolled eating - but MOST of them did.

How can you create large groups of fat people in one place?

1. Force them all to take prednisone.
2 Offer free unlimited food - all you can eat - 24 hours a day.

Guess which one the cruse lines offer?
Reply With Quote
  #102 (permalink)  
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Default

lol i also love fat people i don't know why but i think so they are eye-catching toooo .....
Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston ,Texas
Posts: 13
Default

I was not blessed with height . I am 5'6 and weigh 240 .My wife is 5'0 and weighs a lot less than me .
We usually eat and drink anything that we want ,its the only way to enjoy life .I am 54 and hopefully I will be here many more years.
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to gracydaisss Send a message via Skype™ to gracydaisss
Default

fat peoples are sweets like my grandmother and some of my neighbors so i think they're mostly good
__________________
BacklinksVault
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Dannyboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Southern Gentleman (Southern California)
Posts: 608
Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Post Airline crew must take action

This entire post was about the airlines and enforcing safety and personal space for all passengers.
It should be understood that the airline employee's deal with this issue daily.
If you were in your seat and the person next to you encroached on your personal space, denying you the use of your own seat, the airline employees must take action.
YES, safety is priority.
In the past some passengers brought there own seat belt extension.
Two major problems, The airline personal will not know a problem exist until the boarding process is nearly complete.
The crew on the aircraft don't even know if the seat belt extension is FAA approved.
To address this issue the airlines have set the standard by using the arm rest as the measuring tool used to determine measurements. If a passenger is sitting in any seat and can not get out of the seat because of being wedged between both arm rest, this is a serious safety issue. The airline is not looking for blame or on a hut for large passengers, they need to get the cabin door closed to taxi on the tarmac (runway). Many airlines will simply move passenger around to accommodate needs, providing 1-open seat is available. The airlines are not in the business to lose revenue on flight (s) to meet the personal needs of a condition that is addressed in the airline policy and procedures. This policy also applies to large people, Passengers in wheel chairs, passenger with disabilities from every possible medical limitation and or condition such as a passenger that is 6'8" tall and 300 lbs with 2% body fat may not fit in the seat purchased. Anybody whom refers to a medical issue out of there control or a eating disorder is missing the point. Just remember, if a person has the ability to determine his or her own needs and knows the restrictions that are relevant must make an educated decision to insure they will achieve there final goal. That's getting to and from your final destination with out delay, even if the cost is nearly double or flying a red-eye flight.
Reply With Quote
  #106 (permalink)  
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 699
Default Excellent recap of air seating rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
This entire post was about the airlines and enforcing safety and personal space for all passengers.
It should be understood that the airline employee's deal with this issue daily.
If you were in your seat and the person next to you encroached on your personal space, denying you the use of your own seat, the airline employees must take action.
YES, safety is priority.
In the past some passengers brought there own seat belt extension.
Two major problems, The airline personal will not know a problem exist until the boarding process is nearly complete.
The crew on the aircraft don't even know if the seat belt extension is FAA approved.
To address this issue the airlines have set the standard by using the arm rest as the measuring tool used to determine measurements. If a passenger is sitting in any seat and can not get out of the seat because of being wedged between both arm rest, this is a serious safety issue. The airline is not looking for blame or on a hut for large passengers, they need to get the cabin door closed to taxi on the tarmac (runway). Many airlines will simply move passenger around to accommodate needs, providing 1-open seat is available. The airlines are not in the business to lose revenue on flight (s) to meet the personal needs of a condition that is addressed in the airline policy and procedures. This policy also applies to large people, Passengers in wheel chairs, passenger with disabilities from every possible medical limitation and or condition such as a passenger that is 6'8" tall and 300 lbs with 2% body fat may not fit in the seat purchased. Anybody whom refers to a medical issue out of there control or a eating disorder is missing the point. Just remember, if a person has the ability to determine his or her own needs and knows the restrictions that are relevant must make an educated decision to insure they will achieve there final goal. That's getting to and from your final destination with out delay, even if the cost is nearly double or flying a red-eye flight.
Nice recap for reasons for seating regulations,; it brings up the question about regulations on cruise ships. Are there any restrictions that you knonw of.
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Nice recap for reasons for seating regulations,; it brings up the question about regulations on cruise ships. Are there any restrictions that you know of.


Sadly there are none.
The challenge of many obese passengers sailing has not been officially recognized by the cruise lines, but the cruise line employees are painfully aware of the serious possible safety issues.


When a cruise ship is designed and built, stability is a very important part of the design equations. We must ensure that a ship can successfully and safely carry a specific amount of weight under the most extreme conditions.


Since the late 1800s, ship designers and builders have assumed that the average cruise passenger - and ALL his/her luggage - weighs a total of 100 kilos. That's 225 pounds.
I don't know about you, but I rarely see a cruise passenger who weighs less than 225 pounds WITHOUT any luggage.
Is it safe to assume that the average cruise passenger carries on about 100 pounds of suitcases, carry-ons, purses, camera bags, computers, etc.?
Doesn't seem like very much until you multiply that by 5,000 passengers.


Could it be the case that a large cruise ship is carrying a HALF MILLION
POUNDS of weight that is unplanned and unaccounted for? How does the ship handle all that extra weight in a hurricane, or when encountering a rogue wave?


Then let's have a look at the lifeboats. Every one has a stenciled sign at the entrance, advising maximum occupancy. Many claim to hold 150 passengers. That might work with 150 Chinese passengers, but if you are trying to squeeze 150 North Americans into that boat, good luck. In actual tests with real passengers, we have been unable to fit more than 100 passengers into a lifeboat rated for 150 passengers. The passengers are just too large.


So if you are on a ship that has 16 lifeboats with 150 pax capacity each, and that ship happens to be sinking, there could be 800 passengers without a lifeboat seat. I hope they can swim - and I hope the water is warm.
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM
Dannyboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Southern Gentleman (Southern California)
Posts: 608
Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Post Handicap vs Accessible cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Nice recap for reasons for seating regulations,; it brings up the question about regulations on cruise ships. Are there any restrictions that you knonw of.
The cruise lines don't discriminate, how ever the cruise lines have wheel chair access on a very limited number of cabins and the cabin size is not advertised, referred to as accessible cabins.
You can expect the cabins to be approximately 30% to 45% larger then a standard interior cabin.
Select venues on most ships including the main theatre will have fixed handicapped chairs and or wheel chair parking to allow the handicapped to see the shows.
Some passengers don't understand the difference between handicap and wheel chair accessible.
In the US, a standard for land based regulations is called The ADA also know as the American Disability Act.
These regulations do not apply to ships at sea.
The cabins that are wheel chair accessible means the doors are wider to allow access of a specific size wheelchair and access between bed and wall will accommodate a wheel chair and ZERO entry access into a shower with handrails in bathroom.
I would like to see the ship architects design automatic pocket doors, meaning the doors slides open into a wall pocket and not inward, meaning not open into cabin to allow a wheel chair complete ingress/egress without the help of a second passenger.
This would allow the new generation of electronic mobile carts full access without the help of a second person.
Just remember, many passenger will not cruise unless they have an accessible cabin, because of the limited number of cabins, the cruise lines now have new restrictions prohibiting leaving a wheel chair in any corridor outside of the passengers cabin.


All the cruise lines have questions and answers on there web-site that will address these regulations.
Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM
Dannyboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Southern Gentleman (Southern California)
Posts: 608
Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Sadly there are none.
The challenge of many obese passengers sailing has not been officially recognized by the cruise lines, but the cruise line employees are painfully aware of the serious possible safety issues.


When a cruise ship is designed and built, stability is a very important part of the design equations. We must ensure that a ship can successfully and safely carry a specific amount of weight under the most extreme conditions.


Since the late 1800s, ship designers and builders have assumed that the average cruise passenger - and ALL his/her luggage - weighs a total of 100 kilos. That's 225 pounds.
I don't know about you, but I rarely see a cruise passenger who weighs less than 225 pounds WITHOUT any luggage.
Is it safe to assume that the average cruise passenger carries on about 100 pounds of suitcases, carry-ons, purses, camera bags, computers, etc.?
Doesn't seem like very much until you multiply that by 5,000 passengers.


Could it be the case that a large cruise ship is carrying a HALF MILLION
POUNDS of weight that is unplanned and unaccounted for? How does the ship handle all that extra weight in a hurricane, or when encountering a rogue wave?


Then let's have a look at the lifeboats. Every one has a stenciled sign at the entrance, advising maximum occupancy. Many claim to hold 150 passengers. That might work with 150 Chinese passengers, but if you are trying to squeeze 150 North Americans into that boat, good luck. In actual tests with real passengers, we have been unable to fit more than 100 passengers into a lifeboat rated for 150 passengers. The passengers are just too large.


So if you are on a ship that has 16 lifeboats with 150 pax capacity each, and that ship happens to be sinking, there could be 800 passengers without a lifeboat seat. I hope they can swim - and I hope the water is warm.
What about the elevator limit, maybe a digital scale on the panel?
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old August 21st, 2014, 05:17 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7
Default

I am fluffy and never worry about folks. They don't know I've played professional sports and had 6 knee surgeries. Knee replacements and a bad hip replacement slowed me down. Having to use a cane is tough but recently diabetes has focused me and now 50 lbs lighter. Anyways I find a cruise with folks I don't know is the perfect time for my Speedo. Enjoy your cruise, I always do.
Reply With Quote
  #111 (permalink)  
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:04 AM
Cruznut2's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 6,316
Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default

I am heavy also but even when I was thin I got stares and rude remarks because I was not given a beautiful place. I have adjusted to it and feel that I have as much right to go where I please as anyone else does. If you do not like what I look like then look elsewhere. In the last few years I noticed that strangers have started taking pictures of me too. Recently on a cruise I was walking into lido for lunch. This woman rudely grabbed her camera and started snapping away as if I were Princess Kate. I appeared to be oblivious of her behavior even though it hurt. I went and got my lunch and chose my seat carefully. I sat where every time she faced her husband she saw me staring at her. I made her so uncomfortable she sat there with her head swiveled so far around she looked like the girl in "The Exorcist" It helped me a little and I sure hope she got a stiff neck.


Laura
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cruis, cruise, cruises, fat, fattest, fill, forum, line, obese, overweight, passenger, people, person, place, ship

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'M FAT! nurseypoo5 Carnival Cruise Lines 55 March 24th, 2007 05:33 PM
Fat People spin off Gertrude Travel Gripes! 73 July 25th, 2005 08:10 AM
Is it OK to be fat? anonymous fatty First-Time Cruisers 57 February 6th, 2005 12:29 PM
Do Fat People Cruise? Big Craig Chit - Chat for Cruisers 16 November 24th, 2004 01:22 PM
fat? xoshereeox Teen Cruisers 23 June 20th, 2004 01:42 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1