Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
heatherismad

Default last call cruises were $%!*holes

I have been treated REALLY unfairly by this company today.

I was emailing asking about rates (like we all do) and I was getting ONE WORD emails back from their customer service rep. She would just write "YES" or "NO" to my questions. I have never seen that before.

When I mentioned that I really was looking for some more detail in her answers because other travel agents certainly were being more warm in their communication she wrote this to me:

"I will make this easy for you. Book with a different agent."

HOw rude can a travel agent be? And it was her mistake! I am a frequent cruiser - a Crown and Anchor member and a potential repeat buyer of what she was selling.

No more!
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: last call cruises were $%!*holes

Now THAT'S poor customer service!
Jim

Old April 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
First Mate

Is this an internet company or a walk in TA?

splendor of the seas
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
heatherismad

it is an internet company i met thru cruisecompete.com where the cruise lines compete for low rates...

man, she was REALLY bad. it is funny but on the "other" cruise message boards she found my post and made two fake comments of praise for her company. You can tell it isn't legit because the two praisers registered JUST that day & it was both of their FIRST posts...hee hee hee

funny

they were just terrible and now trying to make up for it.
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:08 PM
First Mate

"I will make this easy for you. Book with a different agent" Maybe she knew she couldn't beat whatever price.

"I was emailing asking about rates (like we all do)" I am not sure how cruise compete works but I went to the website and could find rates and everything. Now you are not a rookie cruiser so whay didn't you go to the website it would of saved you many headaches.

splendor of the seas
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:13 AM
heatherismad

You have got to be kidding me right?
On cruisecomete you select your dates and they post rates and then you EMAIL them to ask further question & seal the deal. She had not been clear on the JS rate I had asked for and I was simply asking for that rate before I made my decision. There is NOTHING wrong with that. I was not being a pain.

A travel agent that can't look up a rate for you for an upgrade in your room is not a travel agent I would want...
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
hombre

get to know a good travel agent and stick to that person. i go to someone i trust who has always come through, knows what style of cruise i like and my price range, and who is up on the latest 'happenings' in cruising. maybe i pay a hundred dollars more per cruise -- possibly not -- but my TA talks to me, investigates, and is trustworthy to the core. and i have sent her several clients. TA's are still a viable alternative.
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:06 PM
First Mate

If that is how that company works fine like I said maybe they couldn't beat whatever the price was. Now Family I disagree with you customers are looking for the lowest price period. Nobody has ever called me and said "The price I was quoted through your compnay was one of the highest but since you were so nice I will book with you anyway." I am not going to look 15 minutes to an hour for a cruise for someone just to have them call 5 other companies and if someone is lower go with them. My job is sales. Customer service is another job to to get customer service you have to be a customer.

splendor of the seas
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Passenger

That is totally unacceptable behavior! I try to give as many details as I can on particular cruises and am never rude to a customer, no matter how much I might want to be.

Find another agent!

Old April 12th, 2005, 09:18 PM
First Mate

I agree find another agent.

splendor of the seas
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Admiral

I agree (again) with OUSOONERFANINTEXAS (even though I'm a Mizzou Tiger). Find another agent.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
heatherismad

Oh, I did. Amd found a comparable rate, too.

I don't get how anyone on this board could say that the agent was right?? I asked a simple question that we ALL would ask and got berated!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Reece Oslinker

I know no one wants to hear from another TA but heres my 2 cents.
I take offense that we are just middlemen & offer nothing to purchasing a cruise.
Tell that to my client that missed his cruise due to air/weather problem.
I had advised him to take cruise insurance which he did a week b/4!
I spent Sat & Sunday making phone calls to get him a hotel & make sure the insurance took care of him.
To sum it up a possible bad experience worked out ok because he had a Travel Agent.
Try asking the cruiseline if you book direct or one of the Internet giants to work Sat & Sunday for you. Good Luck!!!!
Sorry for my speel
Reece O
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
libbynan

Reece O, I agree. If the price is all to you...... good luck, you're going to need it! Went on a land tour w/ my daughter and d-in-law last fall..... daughter and I are leaving from one town and d-in-law from another. My TA got us flights that rendezvoused at the first stop and the same on the way back....... that is, on the way back we flew together to first stop and then separated. This scenario included two very small airports and a couple of secondary ones...... it probably would have taken me a week on the computer to set this up! It really made our trip and was worth a little extra. For cruising, I use a TA who specializes in the industry and cruises frequently herself...... She knows me and what I like and can tell me which cruise lines I will and won't like and why and the same for itineraries. Plus, she won't deal w/ clients who don't buy the trip insurance..... as she says, "As soon as something goes wrong and they can't get reimbursed, it's all my fault." You get what you pay for and that includes cruise bargain shopping on-line....... and I do not now nor have I ever worked in the travel industry.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Passenger

As someone who works in a customer relations position, I am horrified. I am sure her immediate supervisor would LOVE to see a copy of the e-mail advising you to book with a different agent.

It sounds as though she is ready for a job change; something where she doesn't have to work with the public. Gravedigger, maybe?
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM
First Mate

Redhead give her a break unless you have been a travel agent you don't know what it is like. I am sure your customer satisfaction percentage is not 100 either.

splendor of the seas
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: last call cruises were $%!*holes

Just my 2 cents...

I agree the travel agent came across as very rude, and I am sure her manager would be appalled. Shopping just for price is OK for some things, but the fact is that when you go on a any vaction you are putting yourself in situations with a lot of potential pitfalls. I completely agree with Reece - shopping for cruise is not like shopping for a washing machine.

These days all warrantees for appliances come from the manufacturer (unless you buy the store warranty) so the salesperson really is just a middleman, but with a cruise vacation if something goes wrong you cannot beat have a good travel agent on your side.

In fact, I am quoted in USA Today, today, as follows:

From today's USA Today article: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...9-gaynor_x.htm

I got you mentioned in there. I guess I took a pretty obvious jab at Expedia / Travelocity, but what the heck.

CruiseMates.com's Motter points out that potential passengers do best if they combine the expertise of a cruise-only agent with an online cruise booking company.

"It's fine to go online to book a cruise; however, you need to call the company first to make sure you're dealing with a cruise expert. If you have a problem later on with a Travelocity or Expedia-booked cruise, you might have a hard time getting customer service from them since cruising is a minor sideline for them, not their main business," Motter states. "Most of all, don't book with an agency that refuses to speak to you on the phone."

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...9-gaynor_x.htm

Old May 6th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Passenger

OSFintexas, Give me a break! No, I am not, and have not been a travel agent (wages are not high enough!) What this person did was basically tell Heatherismad that SHE DIDN'T WANT HER BUSINESS.

That's bad business. I've helped my husband build a business 28+ years. We have referred people to other businesses if we just couldn't schedule them, weren't the right business for them, etc. If my customer satisfaction isn't 100% it isn't because I'm not trying. He/she was just plain rude!
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
First Mate

I have told people to go elsewhere. Like lets see Andy and Jake the starving college students that want a September price for June. Then there is Mr. and Mrs. Hall that want to play lets make a deal that forgot this isn't like buying a car in other words we have no haggle pricing. For hotel bookings you got the guy who call in on the 31st December or Superbowl Sunday and wants a hotel for that day in New York or whereever the game is held and can't figure out why the 79.00 rate is not available. I mean why didn't we set a hotel aside for him just incase.

splendor of the seas
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Wow, I don't think heatherismad was being unreasonable like the examples you (OU Fan) posted. Bad customer service....go ahead and defend it if you like.
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Heatherismad wasn't being unreasonable she just wanted a quote. What I am talking about is this "I saw an ad for 3 night bahamas cruise for 229.00 (instead of from 229.00.) So I say "great that is the first week of September," they say "I wanted the first week in July." I say "then it will be 550.00" they say "I am just a college student and don't have alot of money can't a get a better deal," I basically tell them you have unrealistic expectations and I am on to the next call.

Here is another example. "I want a 7 night cruise out of Miami third week in July for 4." I say "that will be 3500.00," Then Mr. and Mrs. Hall will say 5 years ago I got the same thing for 2000.00." Then I inform them in 5 years fuel has gone up as well as everything else in life and on to the next call.

I am one of the top selling agents in our center in Dallas here because I don't spend alot of time with people that have unrealistic expectations. What you don't believe is a good value the next customer will. And they can call all the agencies they want and the prices will be similar anyway.

Call it what you want I make my quota.

splendor of the seas
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Passenger

Bad P.R. Just horrific, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. This unprofessional clod is not the owner of this Last Call travel company; Don Baasch is, and you should forward him this e-mail and message board post correspondance right away. E-mail me privately if you wish, and I will help you find his business contact information.

I just checked out LastCallCruises.com, and to say that this website looks to be about as professional as an AOL homepage would be a vast understatement. Regardless, this "top seller's" nasty attitude should not go unreported.