Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: New Reasons to stop tipping on Cruises!

Redhead, There might have been a time where I stayed in "crummy airport hotels"
but not anymore. In my old age I've learned to enjoy some of the nicer things and Red Roof is not on that list.
Regardless of that, if service is provided and tipping is the custom, I will not be the one disguisng being cheap with a "change the system" arguement. I went into cruising understanding that tipping is the norm and simply consider it a very modest part of the cost of cruising. Same goes for restaurants, taxi, bellman, redcap, porter, room service waiter, parking attendents etc. If tipping is the custom, then tipping it is.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV
Default Re: New Reasons to stop tipping on Cruises!

Sheep, pure and simple. BAAAAAA BAAAAA.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 20th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Peter,

Why don't you come join the debate class I teach? Sounds as though you'd be a great team debater (spoiling for a good argument is one of the signs of a good debater).

You DO have a choice. The tips that are placed on your sail and sign at the beginning of your sailing CAN BE REMOVED. Okay, you don't like the presumptiousness of that policy. So noted. But no one is forcing you to tip. Just remove them and move on.

Lots of people (me) like the convenience of having those tips automatically added. If I feel I get inferior service, I can reduce or remove them entirely. If I feel as though I get far superior service, I can increase them.

Where's the sheep in that?? Better watch it - sheep might decide your comments aren't PC...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Admiral

I think the servers make a pretty decent living on the ships given the fact they don't have the normal expenses we, as home owners, have. No lawn fertilizers, garage door opener repairs, mortgages, taxes, washing machine repair, plumblers, trash pickup, etc. It clearly states on their web sites waiters earn between $2300 - $2700 per month.

But that's with tips of course. If we stop tipping they stop serving. If they stop serving the ships stop sailing. They stop sailing we stop cruising.

One way or another, we will be paying for their service. I'd rather have the choice of how much to tip rather than it be added to the price of the ticket.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Passenger

We just returned from a cruise where my dh & I got to be quite friendly with our Asst. waiter in the dining room (he was from the same country as my dh). We asked about his pay and he told us he is making $600 mth before tips. He then informed us that he gets $2 out of the $10 per day and the head waiter gets $3.50. Now what really suprised us is that the head waiter gets to keep all of his tips BUT it falls to the asst. waiter if he wants to tip the kitchen staff. Our guy said there are many people who don't tip any of the people who help make his job easier.
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dorothy, I actually love debating, especially with people who are as stubborn as I am! <G>

My shep comment was directed to PapaBill in that he was mistaken in that I am cheap as opposed to trying to change the system.

Personally I think the tip system is outdated and sould be abandoned.

So far comments seem to revolve around that is the system so accept it. My feeling is Why should I accept it just because it is the custom? There are lots of customs that have gone out of style.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 20th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Admiral

I accepty it because i truly believe it costs me less than if the tips were included in the cruise price. Just my opinion.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Hanna S77

My eyes are too tired to read all the postings so I will keep this one short.

Cruise: Carnival Spirit

Purchased two large oatmeal cookies for two dolllars to which was added 15% gratuity.

Drank two bottles of wine from the stateroom refrig. The bottles cost $4.75 each which was o.k. but 15% gratuity was added. I understood that the room steward was in complete charge for the liquor and beverages in the frig. so who gets the gratuity?

We were billed $80 per person for the 8 day cruise that was supposed to go to the waiters and room stewards. Are these minor charges mentioned simply another way the cruise client is making money ?
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Admiral

You shouldn't accept it if you don't agree, Peter. This is most definitely the place to speak up and be heard!

But what I LIKE about the current system is that I have a choice. If tips are built into the cost of the cruise, I don't.

And you don't know stubborn until you've seen my teens debate! They make me seem like a cream puff...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Peter, I'm personally glad to see you post again. There was a day or two that you hadn't posted. I heard about the poor soul who went over the side on the Carnival Valor and I thought---- hmmmm--- could it be that Peter has become so distraught , what with all the tipping, alcohol policies, photo selling, towel policies, selling gold by the inch, the constant announcements that you have a problem with---- well, honestly I thought that one night after dinner when you exited the dining room that the Pirate had grabbed you and stuck a knife to your throat and you simply couldn't take it any longer and did something rash, like running outside and heaving yourself overboard.
Glad to see it wasn't you.

( kidding )

I do understand some of the issues you have raised but still, cruising is one of the best vacation values around. Whether we pay a lot more up front or leave the system as it is, we still pay in the long run. At least now the people who drink the most, play bingo the most, buy the most gold -by-the-inch , etc pay more that I do, as I don't drink much, don't play bingo much, don't buy hardly any photos and don't steal / lose towels. Seems like a fair way to do business to me.

The cruise lines aren't the only ones who have ways to get your money. Today I paid my electric bill of $ 94. and change. Of that amount, $ 85.0 was electricity used and about
$ 9.0 was " other " charges.Fees for this, special taxes for that, meter service charge, etc. Only thing that wasn't added on was the tip. So, life is short--- spend a lot !!
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Some jobs will always be "tip" type service jobs, and some not. Servers and attendants on a ship will always be. Personally, even if the tip was included etc, and i liked the job that they did (which i usually do) then i would tip extra anyway. It's my way of saying "thank you"

I wish tipping was allowed in my profession (....my mind is racing now)

banker
(PS- if I use the "F" word in my post maybe the double lines will appear under with a link to ........)
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Peter V. , A sheep I am not and I resent the comment very much. Any time you want to post your apology will be fine.
You are naive to think that your position (a minority one at best) will change the system
and, if it does, that cost will simply be marked up elsewhere and come right back to you, the consumer. You will have gained nothing monetarily and lost the ability to influence service through your tip.
By withholding your tips , with an eye towards your social changing cause, you may feel
like a righteous man, and you may not personally actually be cheap, but your actions will be interpreted by all around you as just that. The person you "stiff" will only see
no tip, they will not now, nor ever, appreciate your jesture as influential of social change.
The system may in fact be quite broken, but your actions will do nothing to change it.
Fight on however if you believe .
Let us part with the comment that we agree to disagree.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

PapaBill, you will not get an apology from me. You may not think yourself a sheep, but when you blindly follow those ahead, that is what you are.

First off, you called me cheap, and assumed that I "stiff" servers. I am not by any means cheap. I have never "stiffed" a service person, except when it was deserved, but it doesn't mean that I like to do it, or that the custom is not archaic. I DO realise that the slaves on the ship depend on them.

Because I may be in the minority does not mean I am tilting at windmills either. Change comes about because people realise that there is a problem or a condition that is not correct. What needs to happen is a mass movement in order to change the conditions of the people who depend on YOU to pay thier salary.

You may feel that you have some sort of control over the amount that you tip, but so far no one has stated that they actually tip less than the amount. It appears that most of you tip more. But if you do not actually make a change to the charge, then there is no control. It is charged to your account, and requires you to do something in order to prevent it. As most know when items like this are done "FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE" what it actually means is that the sheep will blindly follow, since they would have to "DO" something instead of doing nothing, which is exactly what they want and know.

I do acknowledge that "I" can't change anything, but "WE" can do almost anything.

But not if "WE" are sheep!

I never expected to change anyone's mind here as there are far too many people who play follow the leader. What I was expecting is to have a serious discourse on the subject, which unfortunately hasn't happened.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Cruisingrandma

First of all and most of all! The workers on a crusie ship or any other workers of service are not considered SLAVES! Second of all I pay for my tips ahead of time with my cruise payments. So I am paying for the tips included with the cruise if it would make u feel better that way... Do it! No difference except in your mind that the tips are paid by the cruise line or they have to raise the cruise prices to include there wages. Who cares what u call it.. Either way u r paying for it in the long run. As far as I am concerned there is no reason not to tip. If the service is so outrageously bad go to the owner of the establishment and complain... I am not going any farther with this.. I am so discusted with all the people who tend to ignore tips to service people.
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Admiral

You will not find serious discourse when you refer to fellow posters as Sheep and the folks you are supposedly looking to act on behalf of as Slaves.
I'll state again. if you get your WE, then you will eliminate tipping and the cost will be passed on to you, along with a mark up, in the cost of the cruise (or whatever service). You have gained NOTHING. By eliminating tipping you eliminate your ability to impact current and future service by eliminating incentive. Net result , a lesser position. Most of the folks (slaves) you are fighting for would rather have tipping than be on a salary. Why? Because they make more money and can influence that amount through extra service.
Anything can be accomplished if everyone got behind it. Fact is, everyone is not going to get behind your "movement". Not because we are sheep, not because we are not activists for social change, but because we face the reality that only a very very few want change in this arena. You cloak yourself as an activist for change. The world views the failure to tip as cheap. Just ask the folks that fail to get a tip. You are of course the one exception.
Keep on fighting if you believe in your cause. But just because I do not agree with you does not make me, or anyone else a sheep. You lose your arguement immediately by attacking the individual rather than their point of view. The lack of substantive discussion is self generated on your part. You have in my view an interesting point. (whether I agree with it or not aside). You concede the point when you get personal with those who disagree with your point of view. Like the poster above, I admire your passion for your cause. You waste it however.
And no one, under any circumstances, should be referred by you as being a slave.
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Admiral

In debate:

Lesson #1 - eliminate "Like", "you know"and "uhhhhh" from your vocabulary, as well as "always" and "never".

Lesson #2 - debating doesn't make one of you right and one of you wrong

Peter, people that disagree with you are not acting as sheep and blindly following a philosophy. Most of us make the conscience decision to tip the way we do. If you haven't heard any talk about leaving less than the recommended amount, then you just haven't been around the boards long enough. Plenty of people adjust their tips down as well as up.

Our decision to leave the recommended amount on our cards is just a valid as yours to take it off. It's simply a point of view.

If you are truly interested in honest discourse, you would leave off the insults. If you aren't then don't be surprised when someone takes offense and writes you off as someone who doesn't *really* want a discussion, but a forum to pontificate.

Like a certain part of the anatomy - opinions - we all have them, some are just prettier than others.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Dorothy, I'm Canadian.

You're taking away half my vocabulary!

Like, uuhhh, you know EH!

banker
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Banker. We had the most delightful asst cruise director on one of our cruises that introduced us all to Canadian dialect. EH??

When I first started this debate class/club 2 years ago, about 1/3 of the class couldn't speak an entire sentence without 3 or 4 "likes". They are much improved 2 years later.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

PapaBill, I started referring to some as sheep since I never received any meaningful argurment, other than they have no problems doing it. It was never meant as a personal insult, and was never referred to as such. When someone follows a custom merely because it is a custom, and defends it as being the custom, sorry, but that is a sheep.

I am kind of intrigued as to why you think that I do not know that the price will be passed on to me. I think I stated that in the beginning. Why do you think that the cruise line would then take some of this money away from the people it was intended for? Since they are already adding it on to your onboard account, why would it somehow need to recover a cost that doesn't exist. Unless of course you are implying that the lines themselves are not trustworthy.

You also state that by doing this I have gained NOTHING, I thought I wasn't gaining anything anyway, as the money would be delivered to the crew providing the service.

I am sorry if the word slave caused grief, as it has been used before by those trying to change this system. I have never considered them my slaves, and I treat them very decently, and never demand anything of them. I do not agree with you when you state that the incentive of a tip ensures that they perfom above and beyond their duties. I think the ones that do this do it because they want to. I also do not agree that the waiters and cabin staff are satisfied with tipping as the major part of their salary. I have had a number of conversations with these individuals, both on and off the ship.

It is also not my movement. I posted this originally because of all the comments I've read here on tipping, and those that do it and those that don't. I had an idea that I thought might provoke some discussion. How sadly mistaken I was on that.

As for attacking the person rather than their views, PapaBill, you started it by calling me cheap and disguising it as a crusade. Even though I never said I did not tip, in fact, I stated that I did.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Peter,

You need to do your homework on how tipped people are compensated.

Waiters, Bellmen, and Taxi Drivers on land are paid a minimal wage plus tips. Many get only that. Then they must pay out of pocket for commuting, rent, meals, uniforms, laundry, insurance, medical care and entertainment.

Most service people on ships are paid $1 per day plus tips. On top of that they receive free: air tickets from home to work, accommodations, meals, uniforms, laundry, insurance, medical care, and entertainment. And they get to travel the world and get paid for it.

I am very happy to be working for next to nothing (plus tips) on a cruise ship instead of for a minimal wage (plus tips) in a restaurant on land.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:17 PM
Admiral

"By eliminating tipping you eliminate your ability to impact current and future service by eliminating incentive......................PapaBill

"I do not agree with you when you state that the incentive of a tip ensures that they perfom above and beyond their duties"............................Peter V

Bill never stated a tip ensures service "above and beyond their duties." He said it's capable of impacting the incentive to serve. There is a difference.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm sorry then as I do not understand the impact to service.

If all I receive is someone to clean my room and take my order and deliver it, am I someohow going to receive less. If they do not clean my room or do not provide service, then a compaint is in order.

Or are you somehow suggesting that stewards and waiters do not have complaints made against them currently?

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 25th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

So then Bruce, I take it you are a waiter, steward or barman?

I never realised that they had such intimate knowledge of the ships and cruiseline finances as you have responded in other threads.

I would have expected those detailed answers from someone in management.

How much seeing of the world do you get in when working 7 days a week at 12+ hours a day? Especially on a ship doing 7 day turnarounds?

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM
PapBill

Peter,Maybe it is as simple as never having to make the complaint. Maybe it is more. Maybe instead of minimally acceptable service you get more. An extra towel when it is needed, extra pillows/ blankets. More ice, the use of an iron, perhaps a needle and thread or a pair of cufflinks to borrow. I can't begin to think of the many little things , beyond the minimum, that we have been offered or received .
From a waiter or assitant, perhaps it is extra breadsticks , iced tea without asking, remembering your brand of tea after dinner. Perhaps it is something from the kitchen without asking. I joked to a waiter one night how all I wanted was the chocalate chip cookies from the lunch buffet for dessert. for the next 13 nights I had a plate of chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps it is the Maitre D who had fresh ginger sent to my cabin after asking the whereabouts of my wife at dinner and being told she was suffering a bit from the ship's motion. I didn't ask, he just did it. The head waiter who
took us to two shops in Cozumel that he personally felt gave the best deal on a particular gift we were looking for . The same guy who repeated a table side pasta preparation twice because a table mate was so GAH GAH about it.
Once again , we have different attitudes towards tipping, the reason for it and the results of it.
I also do not understand why you make every answer or response personal. Why was it necessary for you to go after Bruce personally above? It takes away from your credibility
and adds nothing to the discussion.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Agreed Papabill, its those little things that make the difference, but lets be honest they can be individual driven, but usually they come from how the lines expect their guests treated.

Peter, take these opinions all on board and chill as you are allowing it to take you sideways from your orininal point. Take a deep breath, reflect and come back to the discussion. Some of what has been said, must make some sense.

Its all opinion and opinion is never wrong. Dont get personal,,,,,,,, says he who has never done that <g>,,fingers crossed behind my back.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Heney

PapaBill. It's difficult to argue about your philanthropic attitude but it is not difficult to argure with your attitude that the world views those who don't tip as cheap. I guess the thing that bothers me is the attempt by some people on this thread to make one feel guilty because they don't feel they should be held responsible for somebody else's livelihood.
You mentioned in one of your threads about the tipping you do from the time you practically leave your house to get to the airport, then from the air[port to your hotel, from your hotel to the cruiseport, from the cruiseport to aboard ship and then you start all over again aboard ship.

If you feel the need ( and have the ability ) to do this there is not much fault I can find in that ,except to say that your actions make what others of us do seem somehow unacceptable. Your actions also result in everyone who might do something for us having their hand out for a tip..

I remember at Tampa airport a few years back when a redcap took our 5 pieces of luggage ( my wife, our son and I had already dragged it from the car rental dropoff to the outside sidewalk) and carried it across the street, into the building and around the corner to the airline desk. This being the end of our vacation, and not having much money left ( U.S. funds ) we managed to scrape together $ 5.00 ( $2 of which were in quarters). When I handed the money to the redcap he became quite angry and refused to take it. His comments were along the lines of "This is the way I make a living - I have a family to care for." I asked him how much HE thought his services were worth. Without answering he asked me what I thought his services were worth. My answer was " The amount that I have in my hand". He tipped our suitcases off his trolley, told me to keep my money and walked away.

I wonder WHERE he got the attitude that I was in some way responsible for his livelihood????

My wife and I have raised 5 children - THESE are the people whose livelihoods I feel responsible for and no one elses - certainly not a bartender, or waiter or cabin attendant on some ship which, chances are, I will never see again after the cruise is over. And certainly not the redcap at the airport who wants to take my luggage, the taxidriver who drives us to out hotel, the doorman at the hotel both coming and going, the taxi driver who takes us to the cruiseport, the porter who wants to take my luggage inside, atc. etc.

It seems if some people were to drop a package and someone were to pick it up for them, the person who dropped the package is ready to give a tip ( and the person who picked up the package is expecting one).

Do I tip? The answer is YES. Depending on the service asked for & provided.

Do I tip every person who handles my luggage, who drives me to / from the airport / hotel, who makes my bed or who serves me food / drink? The answer is NO. IIt gets to be a little ridiculous, really - just how many people whose livelihoods am I responsible for when I travel?

However, these people all expect a tip, the cruiselines, airports , hotels, taxi companies, etc. all expect us to give these people tips.

If YOU feel the need to give all of them tips, that's fine with me but it isn't fine FOR me . I don't wish to impact current and future service.
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Well, knowing that the service we speak about is paid for by tips then I think it's encumbent upon us to tip. We will pay their wages in some form or another.

One cruise I was on Mrs. Thomas dropped me off at the baggage pick-up area and drove the car to the parking lot. The porter took our luggage out of the trunk and put it on his cart as she was driving away. I reached in my pocket and all I had was $3 as she had our cash with her. I gave him the $3 and walked to the terminal to meet her.

One of my bags had some mesh elastic sleeves on the outside. I had a very nice pair of sandals in those sleeves. When I got my luggage on the ship I only had 1 sandal. I checked at lost-and-found throughout the cruise, no sandal.

Now, if he had wanted a nice pair of sandals (steal) he would've taken both of them. But he wanted to penalize me so he took only one. What lesson is obvious? When dealing with people who you are depending upon to give you service it's best to treat them as they expect. It's what they can do that you want to avoid.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Heney

"When dealing with people who you are depending upon to give you service it's best to treat them as they expect."

That's a situation where I would probably tip, Thomas. However I am still healthy enough to carry my own luggage to / from the airport and to / from my hotel room as well as other places.

If my taxi fare is $18 / $19 and I have a $20, I don't go searching for any extra nor do I wait for my change.

I'll be da--ed if I'm going to let people make me feel responsible for the livelihood of others.
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:35 PM
PapBill

Heney, Please do not let my actions influence yours. I tip because I choose to do so,
because I appreciate service and assistance when I require it , because I like to pamper myself when I'm on vacation and not do certain things myself, because I appreciate the little extra things that certain people do for me and lastly (and you mentioned this one ), because I can afford to do so. I do not see the $2 or $5 as supporting anyone else's family or as part of my obligation to tip to provide a livelihood.
I have supported and raised my family, and remain reasonably "flush" these days and do not dwell on the petty cash outlays that make my vacation experience go smoothly.
There is a certain amount of custom and customary action to my tipping as well. (that makes me a sheep in some folks minds). Different areas and cultures have different customs and expectations for tipping. I still hold the belief that people will interpret the poor tipper or non tipper as being cheap. Your redcap example being a classic. You had facts , circumstances and good intentions on your side, but, the redcap saw "cheap". Same for you Thomas. Neither set of circumstances makes either of you cheap, but ,the interpretation was such.
Let me relate a "tip earned" story. I went on a snorkel /stingray city trip in Grand Caymen. More than half of us have probably done the same. Our guide was a very personable young man who was actually a scuba instructor filling in for a sick friend for a few days. When we got to the snorkel spot I jumped in with my prescriptin mask. As I hit the water the wake from another boat tore off my mask and it dropped to 35 feet , clearly visible in the sand below. Too deep for my free diving skills at this age , after a few choice curse words to myself about my luck, the young man grabbed a weight belt in his hand, jumped in a went right down and came up with my mask. I never asked him to do so. $150 saved. Awhile later, he gave special attention to my wife who was apprehensive about the rays and had her holding them for photos. She had the time of her life .There were 30 other folks on this trip. They all got a great trip. I got a little extra. He got a really nice tip as we got off the boat. I'll never see that guy again, and the few bucks that most folks gave him and the crew probably would have been fine. What I gave him was enough to have him come over by the bus as we boarded and thank me again. This young man worked for tips and knew how to WORK FOR TIPS. He made out and so did we.
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Heney

I agree PapaBill - the young man was deserving of whatever tip you gave him.

Being 'flush' and able to afford to tip as you do is an enviable position ( no sarcasm intended) and I guess one's definition of being 'flush' is how one views his / her own financian situation.

However, there are probably a lot more ME's in the travel world than there are YOU's and my question (sort of ) in my previous thread was - I wonder if the ME's are viewed as cheap tippers because of the YOU's?

Getting back to my redcap - $ 1.00 per piece of luggage for moving it 100 feet. Did he see me as cheap,
1) Because I WAS cheap? or

2) Because he has been 'spoiled' by people who tip regardless of the service provided?

You won't hurt my feelings!!!!