Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ads

Now I've had it. Ads embedded in the posts (where words are highlighted and underlined). I am one step closer to the door out of of this site, for sure.

Jo
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: ads

Jo...

Sorry you feel that way. To me, the ads in the posts are the least obtrusive ads on the site.

If you don't place the cursor on them they don't do anything. They are just green underlined words.

Old April 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Peter V

Unfortunately, they will still pop up if you are scrolling down the page and your mouse happens to hit one.

These seem to work differently than the other intellitext ads or vibrantmedia ads, which I redirect through my hosts file.

Why oh why do people persist in creating ads that annoy, do you actually think that you attract business with them?.

Last minute flights, I will never use them, because I hate their in your face ads.

Along with anything that pops up over or under.

If you want to litter your pages with ads, fine, but don't annoy me when I am trying to read.

Cheers,
Peter
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM
pg

I too am sick of having to "X" out of those pop up ads for the airline! Get them out of here, they are too persisitant, they keep coming back!
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: ads

I kind of like to look at the underlined words. In fact, I really didn't realize that ads were involved.
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had 5 'roll overs' in ONE MINUTE yesterday, I agree it is very annoying
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Just seen the new link, so I'll repost here

Why have my and others posts got these little green links to things that I have never made a comment on or have even heard of re potential support, are they just jumping on the back of my message?

Hey,,CM, I give you the opinion for nothing. If you want to use it for advertising, then I want some script rights and commission for sales

Question to CM web gurus....What are you playing at?

My post is my post, not a potential link that breaks my thread of thought or point made to others ***edited by staff***

Behave yourselves, and who ever gave it as a good idea at the Monday meeting, sack them for the sake of the forum

Its distracting re opinion and a non starter

David
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Guess they help to pay the bills - after all we do get this service for free and, if all it costs me is to look at a couple of ads then it's fine with me. BTW - did I mention I was an ad rep for years lol. It's just money honey, more power to you! TTFN Jennifer
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Passenger

My goodness folks! The underlined words are nothing! So what? Life is just too short to worry about that. : ) Relax, take a cruise and worry about other things like..... gas prices or the economy. Complain about those, but not silly underlined words.
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Peter V

It's not so much the ads, I accept that, and have no problems with them.

The ones I hate are the "IN YOUR FACE" type.

They are without a doubt the most annoying.

As I asked before, if a web owner puts up ads that are annoying me and interrupting me, I will not partake of the service offered, and am certainly not the only one that feels this way.

I think we should just litter our messages with the keywords;

cruise airline flight rome new york paris carnival princess travel
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Admiral

I agree - the underlined words are easy to avoid and they don't bother me a bit. I don't like the persistent roll downs, although closing them is easy enough.

Would any of this keep me from coming to this terrific site? No way!! CM is worth a little annoyance....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Admiral

I think that the underlined words make my posts look more prestigeous and official.

I like to fly, to vacation, to travel , to cruise, to go to the Caribbean, to Las Vegas and to have fun while spending little funds. Let's see what that looks like.
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Laughing big time, took a couple of years, but the CM guys are getting Brit speak smart regarding.

"or point made to others ***edited by staff***"

Thanks for the ***edited by staff***" and not totally deleted. Would love to have been a fly on the wall for that name CM staff debate,,,or was someone just smart and caught it?

Original scentiment still stands, its an annoying "feature"
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Greetings Gripers!

Merry Griping to You All. This is the gripe board and now it is my turn.

I am the decision-maker here, so it comes to placing all kinds of ads on CruiseMates I ALWAYS think about how it will affect the user's experience. Sometimes we have a notion of the possible effect, and sometimes we don't. In those cases we have to put up the ads and wait and see, which is what we did with these.

Now, I could be obsequious in this message and say "I'm sorry, we are pulling the ads and we apologize for bothering you," but I am choosing to be honest and GRIPE instead. I hope you can appreciate this.

The expandibles have come down because they are having a negative effect on the user experience, but the main reason they are coming down is NOT because of people who address us in this manner...

Quote:
Hey, CM, I give you the opinion for nothing. If you want to use it for advertising, then I want some script rights and commission for sales

Question to CM web gurus....What are you playing at?

... Behave yourselves, and who ever gave it as a good idea at the Monday meeting, sack them for the sake of the forum
because if after getting the benefit of all of our hard work for free you still complain about the fact that we do this to make a living then you do not have a very good grasp of the reality of the what it takes for us to provide this forum.

I also feel the same about the people who send me personally threatening emails such as "quit the popups or I will never come back."

My thoughts to them are, "Fine, start your own site." That is the beauty of the Web, your are free to do that at any time, but you have chosen to come to our site, so you are guests -- not in charge. Guests do not have the right to tell residents what to do, any more than you would walk in your neighbor's house and say, "move that piano so I can play it, and by the way, do it at your own expense."

I will say that polite people's input is always appreciated about what we choose to do concerning advertising. We do listen and of course I do not want to drive people away, We are not crazy and we value our readers.

But, if you are here FREE of charge and your style is to whomp on us with no respect for the fact that this is how we make a living, then along those lines, let me ask you these questions....

How do you make your living?

Do you accept money for what you do?

Would you do it for free?

For a stranger?

For an obnoxious, surly and demanding stranger who insists you do it his way for free or he will never talk to you again?

It costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time and effort to run this site. Advertising is how we support it. We could opt to charge an admission fee instead, or we could do what newspapers and magazines do and charge a cover fee AND give you a ton of ads, but frankly that business model is not yet proven on the Web, though it will be some day.

No, all we do is ask you to interact with a few ads and the majority of them are not intrusive. In my mind that is a darn good deal, and a style of Internet that will not be around forever.

It is very possible that within five years "Free" sites with quality information like ours will no longer exist. Or if they do, that you will have to sit through a 30-second video commercial before you can get in, and you will get interrupted with another one 10 minutes later. You may think "I will just go to another site rather than sit through that commercial," but every site you go to will also start with a commercial, so there will be no benefit in changing sites.

The Internet is "free" now with quality sites like this only because there are a few die-hard individuals like us who believe in the future ability of the web to give us a good living.

Every ad we try is a trial. We always keep the "annoyance" factor in mind. I personally didn't think the expandible ads were that annoying, but I figured out how to close them quickly very easily -- just click outside the box. Contractually we had to give them a fair try, but they are gone now.

If you think CM is bad, take a look at MSNBC.com or iVillage. The ads there are unbelievably worse than anything we do - and that is the future of the web if sites like ours cannot stay in business.

Remember when FM radio used to be advertising-free? (you probably need to be at least 50 to remember that) What did you have, a few staticy classical music stations with low wattage? How many people wrote stations and said "if I have to listen to ads I'll never turn on my radio again?" Did it change the course of FM radio's future. No.

You will get value consistent with the price you pay the vast majority of the time. And if all you want is ads you can ignore then this site cannot exist, because no one advertises on a site where everyone ignores the ads.

How many of you complainers have ever clicked on any banner we have? Or better yet, purchased from one. If you say none, then frankly I would rather have not come in than listen to your griping, because in the big picture I don't need you and you are wasting my time. You may, however, come in and sit quietly if you want to, and if you contribute NICELY you are even more welcome.

On the other hand, if you told me you click on at least one banner for every advertiser I have then I will tell you you are most welcome here and you can say WHATEVER YOU WANT about our advertising.

Which category do you fall in to?

If the former then go watch TV, or listen to the radio, or read a newspaper, or buy a magazine, or go to the movies, or read your mail.

Wait a minute, all of those things have much more intrusive ads then we do - and many of them charge in addition. I guess you will be very busy writing letters to all of them as well.

{ end of gripe -- don't take it too seriously! }

Old April 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

it is not the underlined words, was the roll overs, sorry
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Paul,

You certainly do have the right to do anything you like here. We on the other hand have the right not to provide content.

I think the issue here is the annoyance factor.

These rollover ads are pretty annoying, everytime you swap a page you have to click to close the damn thing. Clicking something once isn't an issue, it is when you have to continually click that it becomes annoying.

As I stated before, I will never click on an ad that is annoying. The biggest one that comes to mind was for the X10 camera, if anyone recalls those blasted pop unders that appeared everywhere.

Advertising is a blight on society and is everywhere, pretty soon there will be no more content, only advertising.

You mention a few things, like tv, radio, newpapers and magazines.

TV is getting pretty bad when it breaks every 5 minutes for a minutes worth of ads. This has now spawned the Digital recorders. Now you can fast forward through them and actually enjoy what you are watching.

Radio, I try not to listen to it, preferring my CD's..

At least newspapers and magazines don't prevent you from reading the article. There may be hundreds of them, but they are not annoying or get in my way.

Placing ads within something that is not "yours" is a pretty vile concept. You are in effect selling something that I give you for free.

Anyway, my .02 cents.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 21st, 2005, 12:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I don't agree that you give it to me for free - in fact our relationship is far more complicated than that already - to the point that we actually already a form of a "pre-nup" called our users agreement.

Old April 21st, 2005, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

your post makes sense to me paul

banker
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Good post, Paul. I found the rolldowns to be annoying until I found out how easy it was to close them. The Am Ex ad drove me a little nuts because I couldn't get to the red toolbar. The little green underlined words didn't bother me at all.

That all being said, NONE of them would keep me from CM. I appreciate being able to come to this free site. I understand what you have to do to keep the site operational.

As to visitng the sites that advertise on the board - you bet I have! I don't see how you cannot visit some of them if you are interested in cruise shopping.

In spite of our whining, most of us here really appreciate what you do.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Paul, ,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for responding and for quoting me regarding your main issue with this change in policy, that not only I disliked.

All sorts of double standards there. Now lets be totally honest.

I fully appreciate that this site like many others around the world is funded either privately or by sponsorship,,,,ie Ads.

Your ability to sell ads and the price you charge for them to fund your business will be based on what you present to your buyers as site hits,,,,,,Right or Wrong

The advertiser is looking for a return on this promise

You cannot have this both ways..

Question Paul. what do you want here, a site that takes volume responses (look at gripes compared to mainstream volume) and gain from that high priced Ad placements, or do we have a Girl Guide camp where everyone loves everyone?

No posts, no responses, dying site, no big buck Advertisement money.

Personally.....you and the CM people have had the chance to bar from your site for a while because of my outspoken atitude, you never,,,,why?

Because people like me will keep your site moving and your Ad targets met. But I still do not want my thoughts treated as an Ad.

So Paul, what do you want, volume and the Ad money or your personal preferrence re postings and thought. If the money is not important and I've got this all wrong ....just say

You may have a web site, but its real people that make it work for you

Post Edited (04-22-05 14:43)