Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Old people cut lines

A reminder here, personal attacks are NOT allowed nor are threats or posts meant to do nothing but inflame. Last warning before action is taken. Hate to be so blunt but enough is enough.
Jim

Old July 26th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Admiral

I respect my elder,and they are welcome to jump in front of me as long as they smile when they do so.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff
Default Re: Re: Old people cut lines

I have to differ -- one of the primary assets an elderly person has is his/her ability to pass along the values of our civilization to younger generations. When the elderly fail to do this - when they assume an air of entitlement simply because they have been around for a long time - they dilute their own worth. AS a semi-elder myself (I am 67), I feel an obligation to be civil to others which grows with each pasing year: if I do not try to set an example to younger folk, I fail in a major responsibility. Sadly, Jery Seinfeld had it right when he discussed how many old people display an arrogant attitude when driving -- backing into traffic without looking -- "I'm old and I'm coming back."
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

OMG this thread is fascinating due to what we experienced with some elderly americans just a couple of weeks ago.

It was Saturday 23rd July just 2 days after the attempted London bombings and 2 weeks after the July 7th actual London bombings.

We had friends over for the weekend and decided to take them to Windsor and see the Castle for the day as we live so close by. Well maybe a bad idea as Windsor was crawling with tourists that day, possibly because many may have decided to give London a miss after what had been happening - have never seen it so busy.

Queues were long and security very, very tight to get into the Castle and yes, many 'yanks' around as there were other tourists from other countries. However, the difference happened once people had got their tickets.

The next queues were for security purposes and everybody got in line and waited their turn knowing that this was a very serious issue and for all our own benefits as we were on high alert everywhere. Well, there was this group of 4 elderly american women sounded like they came from the deep south by their accents and they pushed and shoved there way in refusing to queue to get through the security - and yes, they were BIG WOMEN - BRASH would be a kind word for them if you get my drift!

Us brits are good at queuing and are known for being patient and polite in these conditions - it is a fact of life living on such a crowded, small island and we deal with it everyday. However, some of the other tourists did not take kindly to their total disregard for everyone else in line and 'strutted around speaking very loudly with their american drawl' that they were on vacation and didn't have time to queue!!!!!!!!

Who did they think they were for god sake - most of the people there were on vacation and it was all about safety and security to protect all. Well this one american stood her ground and refused to budge telling her obnoxious friends to ignore the rest of the line - she/they were incredibly rude and it was ugly and uncomfortable to witness their behaviour - you could understand that this is exactly the sort of incident that makes Americans appear ugly abroad.

In the end many people started complaining about it and the security guard came to tell them to get in turn as EVERYBODY whoever they were had to do the same and if they did not want to abide with the rules, then to leave!!!!

Hey ho, they backed off moaning all the time about the RUDE BRITISH (what planet are they on) and this is when you do sit back and ask yourself why did they think they were so special and could be treated differently to everyone else.

Do they get away with that behaviour in their own country? From reading this thread, it sounds like it is a trait in the U.S. - would truly drive me around the bend - and this comes from a person who when she only wants a small carton of milk, joins the end of the queue rather than 'butting in' and waits my turn. The others have queued for what they need, why shouldn't I?

Manners cost nothing but do make for living in such a nicer environment and respect is paramount.

Regards,

KG
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Kimmie,

Don't think for one minute that would be considered acceptable behavior in any part of the U.S.

You can't make generalities based on a couple of individuals. I have a couple of English aunties who might set back American and British foreign relations 200 years. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

So these were a bunch of rude old women. Why is it necessary to point out that they were American? Why was their nationality relevant?

Was one of them wearing a dress? Then why not say rude women wearing dresses. Or rude women wearing eye glasses?

I think there may be some prejudged assumptions made here. The same comments can me made about people being old and rude. If they are rude, then they are rude. Why is their age relevant?

I hate generalizations made about Canadians.

signed,
Mr. Lumberjack
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Mickey from NY

The point Kimmie was making was exactly the point I am making - "Old people cut lines"! She relates to this gripe.
Old August 4th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Except it is not just the old that cut lines ... there are all ages that do ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:46 AM
First Mate

Yes Mr. Lumberjack,

I was TOTALLY RELATING to the original poster's gripe and as the OP was talking about America and the seniors cutting lines, my post was COMPLETELY RELEVANT AND TOPICAL to this gripe.

that is the very reason why I posted it - I never said that English old people do not do that as well and I am sure that after post 9/11 if some British old biddies refused to go along with the heightened security measures and jumped lines, many Americans would have not have been too pleased either.

If you read some of my posts, you will realise that I love America and Americans and have many American close friend who come to visit us here in the Uk. I was not America bashing but giving a very clear example and what I witness just a couple of weeks ago and the offenders were YES AMERICANS!!!!!!! Sorry if it offended you, but it seemed very topical on what this thread was about.

Regards,
KG
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Admiral

I wasn't really offended Kimstigator, it's just that I thought that when you point out a few people acting a certain way, and include their nationality, it becomes (in my opinion) a generalization.
I heard that from an uptight Japanese person arguing with a drunken Irishman, in a snotty British pub once. It happened while cruising, so we asked the Scottish engineer to ask the Philipino guy cleaning the deck his opinion. He bumped into the Swiss storekeeper (who was indifferent - no opinion), but did ask a Jewish lawyer who told him to go ask an arrogant Frenchman. The Frenchman refused to answer anyone asking in English (not speaking French). So he stopped to ask a Canadian who didn't know himself but followed the opinion of his American buddy. The American didn't know because he thought the U.S. was the only country on the planet and continued eating his cheeseburger. Next to him was the radical islamic extremist who said that all generalizations were propoganda by the imperialist/zionist cheeseburger eating media.
I think that is what I heard but it's so cold here in Canada I while I was barbequing moose burgers in the snow with the hockey game on tv that I had to pull my tuque over my earmuffs all the sound was muffled.

banker
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM
First Mate

yes banker, - I get the drift - I ahve just come out of my cave to drink my tea and eat my scones as the whole of England stops for tea at three!!!!! (or so we were asked if this was true when we were in Phoenix) -

KG
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Hey Hoser! We got Hockey back eh! - now we can watch some real fightin on tv eh - not just here on the "boards" eh! Banker - I have never had a moose burger - but I have heard Mr. Dressup sing about a moose-goose burger a time or two :o)

kimmiegirl - you Brits cannot - I repeat - cannot make fun of anyone anymore - after all you have Queen Camilla - it doesn't get any better than that lol. Hmm! Scones tea - good idea. Off to the kitchen!

TTFN Jennifer
Old August 6th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Admiral

- remember Bob and Doug "the 12 days of Christmas"..........."and a beer...in a tree"!! take off eh

a moose burger tastes like a bison burger!!

and Camilla, there are some things I just don't understand. Well I suppose the royals come from a long line of horsemen, Charles just took it to a new level.

banker
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Mickey from NY

FYI - These old people that cut lines are not from NY.