Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Mickey from NY

Default Old people cut lines

Why do old people make belive they are stupid? Did you ever wait on line for over twenty minutes, and then an old lady (Usually the spokesperson of the condo group) walks right up to hte front like she didn't see the line? This happens all the time. They walk around like they just lost their family and end up in front of the line. Who the heck is gonna yell at an old lady for cutting? ME, thats who. Now get to the back of the line!
And now I hope all the food is gone.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Old people cut lines

Gee, I wonder which group of cruisers is worse------unruly children or dumb seniors?
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Mickey from NY

Great question Barb! The correct answer is - Drumroll, please - "Dumb Seniors"!
Sorry you didn't have the answer to that Barb, but thanks for playing. Be sure to pick up your parting gifts on the way out. Next player please.
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:16 AM
family man

I am not so sure you can blame these womenís actions on her age. I believe this is a generational thing. She just may believe that the world is all about her and the heck with everyone else. It is the "all about me" generation who cares little for the concerns for others. This type of behavior gets passed down from generations to generation. A little money will make a person believe they are god. I am sure not all seniors are like this.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Passenger

As assertive as I'm known to be, if one elderly person cut in front of me, I would not say a word. (A large group? That's a whole 'nother thing.) Maybe their sight isn't too good? Maybe they've lost their way, or they can't figure out where those sometimes-confusing horizontal queues start or finish? Or maybe they've achieved their senior status after 6Ĺ decades on this earth and deserve a small break? I really don't care why - the elderly get a free pass in my book.
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Admiral

No, being old is no excuse for being rude. While on a tour in Hawaii we waited for the shuttle bus for 40 minutes and other came up as time went on and some waited as long as 30 minutes or so with us. When the bus arrived some little old lady literally shoved everyone trying to get on the bus first, (limited seating). We refused to allow her to take our seat as did the other couple who had been waiting nearly as long as us. She *****ed and complained so one couple allowed her to take their place as she claimed she had a tour she nneeded to get on. Long story short, when we got back to the ship she pranced off and went off shopping at the pier. Old age is never an excuse for being rude and actually lying to get their way
Jim

Old May 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I might add that the OP is not fvrom NY as his ISP is Bellsouth as in the telephone company in Miami. <G> Also using differant names is a violation of the TOS and that other thread has been deleted as it violated the TOS. I allowed this one as it is legit and not nasty like the other one.
Jim

Old May 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Old people cut lines

I really don't like to single out any age group, but I believe that seniors try to take advantage because they feel they can get away with it. I'm bothered by this and will say something to them depending on my mood. They act like the world owes them a favor. On the other hand, I've met many seniors who are a pleasure.
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Passenger

It sounds like this woman's nasty and bizarre behavior had more to do with her having a screw loose than old age. That happens. My point earlier was that one person - particularly one who is elderly and deserves the highest regard - cutting in a buffet line is one thing ... and honestly? It hurts nobody. However, the old "rules are rules" catchphrase takes full effect if an aggressive situation presents itself that may *truly* infringe on the rights of others (i.e., missing out on an excursion already paid for). In the future, it is probably wisest to summon someone who has the authority to attend to such matters and allocate the seating arrangements accordingly.
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cruisingrandma

Let's just hope u all live long enough to be called a senior citizen!It really isnt a dirty word.... And we r not all like that. Just as some kids are not all brats or some young people are all drug addicts . No Respect.........
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:48 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

This happened to me in my local fruit market this past Saturday. Line up for getting the special on strawberries at least 6 carts long. Woman probably early 60s breezed right past me to the guy packaging the pints. Called her on it in no uncertain terms. "CLAIMED" she did not see the line. I suggested a visit to her eye doctor was in order and she not drive again before said visit.

I am 59. My late mother taught me to wait my turn as I taught my kids.

Its not an age factor but a ME FIRST attitude up with which I will NOT put.

That said, I have when going back for seconds to a long single buffet line on a cruise just cut into where I need to go instead of doing the entire line over again. However, I do say excuse me can I just get....I NEVER do that at multi-station buffets.
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Mickey from NY

See what I'm saying. You cut the line! Even for seconds, its no excuse. What if everybody goes back for seconds at the same time frame. Do you think 5 or 6 people just cutting for one item might delay the line for others. Wait in back of the line please!
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Admiral

I don't think "cutting in line" really applies to someone wanting just one thing they may have forgotten or want seconds of. I would not have a problem with that - just like at a store checkout - if I have multiple items and the person behind me has only one or two I always suggest they go ahead of me. Two minutes here and there does not make a lot of difference in a lifetime - but one moment of kindness to a stranger just might make their day. And when I'm on vacation - I have all the time in the world. As my Granny used to say "don't get your knickers in a knot!" I think as we age the brain sort of weeds out the parts it doesn't really need for survival. Unfortunately "tact" seems to be one of those parts lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:07 PM
borntocruise

I agree with Jennifer.
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Admiral

If going back for seconds or something that was forgotten then I don't have a problem with it as long as the person waits until the one in line is finished getting what ever it is they are getting. But if you race to get the ladle out of my hands and into yours you might find my teeth stuck in your behind!

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:21 AM
Yeoman

My aunt whos 80+ yrs old is like that. Shes never been married, nor does she have kids. When she comes to visit (which I hope wont happen anymore) it has to be all about her. She doesnt realize that a babys and toddlers needs come first and gets mad at me when I feed them before fixing her something. Shes lives alone and manages to take care of herself, but once shes around others, she has to be the main attraction. This includes cutting in front of others, demanding things even if its inconvenient, etc. Shes never had to worry about anyone but herself, and doesnt take into consideration that there are other people out there in the world. I just love it when she calls after 10pm to chat (no I dont answer the phone).

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Cruisingrandma

I do understand that people get angry with others who believe that they r first no matter what. But u r stereotyping people. That doesnt make them old! It makes them rude. Seniors are not all rude. there are many young people who have the same abilities to be rude. Different religions and ages and colors. Thats what makes the world go around. Rudeness is just a way they were brought up. Has nothing to do with how old they r. Sometimes i will admit older people think they are owed something and demand more. But not everyone who is a senior citizen is this way. Please dont label anyone. Its not very polite.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

I think we have a tendency to use "too broad a stroke" when painting some of our gripes. Not all children are unruly, not all customer service reps are rude and certainly not all seniors are rude and inconsiderate. In fact in all these cases, I believe the culprits are in the minority.

Having said that I do have to disagree with SugarFreeSheila when she writes "Or maybe they've achieved their senior status after 6Ĺ decades on this earth and deserve a small break." Not buying that at all. I am pretty much there and may have achieved senior status, but do I deserve a small break just for living this long. I don't think so. I get in line like everybody else (and have people cut in front of me like everybody). I too, will let line cutters know where the end of the line is. For anybody to use their age as an excuse for rude behavior is unacceptable, period.

One more point if I may. IMO, the unruly child grows up to be the rude CSR, who in turns becomes the inconsiderate senior citizen. In other words, these people did start being rude in their seniority, they grew into it.

Post Edited (05-31-05 10:31)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Old people cut lines

John, old buddy, thanks for standing up for us poor old mistreated seniors! <VBG> Rudeness is a personal trait that has nothing to do with age. The children that scream out or run all around resturants will someday be rude seniors.
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Seniors cut lines and that is wrong. Kids run and scream in restaurants and on cruise ships and that is wrong. But what about people who cut lines because think they are more important than us regular folk because of WHO they are? Should they be allowed to cut lines or receive special treatment? No, they shouldn't but it happens. We just have to let these "cutters" know how we feel or get over it. Everything in life does not run the way we want it to. If people find a need to cut to get to the front of the line and ignore others remarks, so be it. Remember, "The first shall be last and the last shall be first".

Old May 31st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Admiral

John and Thomas, you have it summed up pretty well. Here in Florida we have many senior citizens and I am even one now, and many if not most are nice folks. We also have those that will race you to the checkout line when they have a huge buggy and you have one or two items and then stare at you and dare you to say anything. The others just walk right up in front of you and again, think that is their right. Others I have seen go to the check out counter that says 20 items or less and divide the cart between them to get under that number and/or say the twenty cans of beans and ten TV Dinners are really only two items as they are the same thing! Again, many are nice folks but you do seem to take notice of the rude selfish ones. <G>
Jim

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM
Admiral

A stress reliever my son and I use when someone cuts in line, or pulls out in front of us in traffic, etc:

We say : "Must be a brain surgeon on the way to save a life!"

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

One block later they are slamming on their brakes in front of you & you lock up your brakes to avoid them, so that they can speed in to the drive-up at Mickey Dee's! "Get out of my way everybody, I need a cheesburger NOW!"
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have heard that Florida seniors can be the worst. It is funny, but when I worked on ships I found myself not liking seniors much after many months (but I was only 30 then). Now at 50 I have a lot more tolerance, especially with my dear old Mom (87) who truly does not have the mental facility she used to have.

Also, so you know, I will admit to being incrediby impatient myself, and as far as I am concerned, if there is one person taking five full minutes to inspect every single prune she wants (my mom would DEFINITELY BE GUILTY OF THIS) while 20 people stand behind her shuffling their feet, and I see 20 feet of open buffet ahead of her with the exact food I want -- then I WILL CUT IN LINE AND GO GET IT!

And as far as I am concerned, that is perfectly logical. And I am doing others a favor by getting out of their way. At least the cruise lines have largely figuered this out now and have created "stations" for specific food that take time - like omelettes or hamburgers.

The original Destiny class ships had a horrible problem with an omelette station right in the breakfast buffet line, people would stop for one, and the incredibly (too) polite people behind them would actually wait 5 minutes for the omelette to cook before they moved on to the rest of the buffet line. Yes, there would be 20 people waiting for one omelette to cook just so they could pick up a bagle.

I got so I was just saying to people "Go around them, my food is getting cold."

Sometimes cutting in line just makes sense.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

this may be a little off topic and it may sound a weird but....

I have noticed in MY observation that sometimes seniors have a "grumpy" look on their face. They are NOT grumpy, actually quite friendly and nice, but the age or whatever "makes" their face look miserable. - - Just something I've noticed!

Anyway I love actually talking to elderly people; I find it interesting.

If they do happen to cut in front of me in a buffet line, I usually let them know that if they decide to stop and analyze a piece of carrot then I will hit the gas and go around them!

I have run into a few seniors that seem to resent the fact that we (wifey and me) are half their age and have a lot more money. I hate that.

banker
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Admiral

"kill'em with kindness" always works for me. a simple, "excuse me (sir or maam) but the line starts back there, just thought you should know". and on the other side " would you mind terribly if i just sneak in here to get an apple?" one small item cut in is fine as long as you ask. JMHO
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Gee Banker, I never realized that grumpy face I see in the mirror is me. However, I am kind and considerate, just ask my wife. (on second thought, perhaps you had better not!)

I believe there is nothing wrong with going around people in the buffet line who can't make up their minds and just stand there. It is wrong for ANYONE to push in front of another in any line.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Since its ok with everyone to cut line on the buffet. I can't wait for my cruise on the Explorer, June 5th. This will speed up my wait for food! I'll tell everyone on line that the members of cruisemates said its ok. Most likely, I will cut an old person.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Mickey...

Please don't cut any old people - their skin is very thin and they bleed a lot. I know my mom's skin tears like tissue paper. That will probably just slow your lunch down much more than you want it to.

In all honesty, slow people in buffet lines are one of my biggest aggravations, I really have to practice patience sometimes. Like learning the hard way that by going to see in the other line is shorter you probably just lost 2 minutes by leaving the line you were in.

I wish Kuki were here to tell his story about the heavy-set fellow who cut in line in front of him whose beeper went off.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Passenger

You got me Paul. I will not cut any old people and just wait patiently.