CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Don't fill out the surveys! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/295995-dont-fill-out-surveys.html)

Mickey from NY May 29th, 2005 06:39 PM

Don't fill out the surveys!

Why should we fill out surveys? It bothers me that a cruiseline want 3500 guests to fill out their surveys in return for a 3500 to 1 chance of winning $100? What the heck is that all about? Let them pay for secret shoppers if they want guest feedback. You want to improve your cruiseline thru surveys? Try working on a smaller profit margin. Try including more soft drinks at the buffets. Try not to charge for the extras. Not getting my survey!

Kuki May 29th, 2005 07:48 PM

Re: Don't fill out the surveys!

You want to improve your cruiseline thru surveys? Try working on a smaller profit margin. Try including more soft drinks at the buffets. Try not to charge for the extras

LOL.. gee.. those are EXACTLY the comments that should go on your comment card. Feedback from those people who are actual passengers is what the cruise lines are after. They read them, and take them seriously.

I'd think that's what we want!

Donna May 29th, 2005 07:57 PM

I agree, those comments of yours, should go on a survey, then they would know how passengers feel about their product...I don't do it for a chance to win $100, but just to let them know some areas that could use improvement and also areas that are fine the way they are, also a chance to let them know the things you love, good service from one of their employees is always nice to mention.....

Mickey from NY May 29th, 2005 09:29 PM

Like those comments are not on the millions and millions of comment cards they have already received? Whats the sense, they don't listen. Still no survey from me! Never!

Lisa May 29th, 2005 09:34 PM

Then don't complain about things! You don't want to suggest solutions, don't complain that things aren't fixed.

Post Edited (05-30-05 01:20)

Zack May 29th, 2005 10:11 PM

I think Mickey likes his current alias to appear on topic threads. Probably just got back from a Disney Cruise. Who will he be next Donald from NY? He was going for a Family theme......

Cruznut2 May 30th, 2005 06:02 AM

I bet Mickey is the same one I hear at election time saying "So what if I don't vote? It's only ONE vote. What difference can that make?"

Laura

Thomas May 30th, 2005 07:01 AM

Exactly!

Regards,
Thomas

Barb Nahoumi May 30th, 2005 07:10 AM

I think that Mickey just likes to complain. If he does the survey & his problems are addressed, he have no reason to complain.

Hey, they can hire me as a secret shopper. Free cruise to boot.

zeno May 30th, 2005 09:48 AM

Re: Re: Don't fill out the surveys!

Personally I always fill out the questionaires - not to win anything but to provide feedback. I think filling out a survey which will actually be read by someone working for the cruiseline (particularly noting anything that was wrong) is far more useful than complaining on a cruise board. Also I like to praise employees who deserve it - this kind of feedback helps them to get much deserved rewards and promotions.

Post Edited (05-30-05 14:24)

hazelson May 30th, 2005 01:47 PM

I think the surveys are a great way to get your point of view across - especially if they get read. Comments - both good and bad are very important. Most people are very quick to complain but often slow with compliments. This is a good way to do both. And we always "name names" especially with the compliments. Anything to help those wonderful people who work so hard to make cruising the great experience it is. And if there is such a thing as a secret shopper for cruises where can I sigh up? LOL TTFN Jennifer

Jim Bragg May 30th, 2005 03:16 PM

The ships also use these comment cards to help them promote AND demote crewmembers so yes, if one of them made you cruise better, mention them by name!
Jim

Christine M May 30th, 2005 07:18 PM

I have to tell you about my experience with the surveys. We were recently on a ship that we had travelled several times before and saw the guy who had been our asst. waiter and who was now a waiter. He rushed over to say hello and see if we needed anything even though we were not at his table and all the waiters and asst. waiters in the vicinity of our table went out of their way to be really nice to us the entire 15 day trip. We were told by the Waiter that istwas because of OUR glowing comments about him on our survey that he got promoted! We really felt good about it.

(Of course, we don't always have only good things to report on the surveys.)

belgique May 30th, 2005 10:27 PM

Christine is right - the surverys ARE read. I have a friend (a musician) who has been with Princess for 12 years and he says the survey cards are most important to the staff and crew.

Although his job has been the same for 12 years, he has seen countless assistant waiters move up to waiters, then to bar staff and then to bar managers and on and on.

What does it hurt to take a few minutes to make some observations? Again, the percentage of the world's population who gets to cruise even once is so small, we should all feel very fortunate to be there at all. If we can make someone's future a little brighter, why not just do it?

jen2 June 11th, 2005 11:38 AM

I filled out one of the surveys, but was very dismayed by a comment made by one of Carnival's staff. He made a very sarcastic comment about making sure we all turned it our comment cards, because he would read each one personally then rolled his eyes and said yeah right. He said the computer give them the result in about 10 minutes, which leads me to believe the comments made are never read. I have found that Carnival has a very arrogant and indifferent attitude toward any complaints I have ever voiced. Pretty much after they have your money you can forget getting a lot of satisfaction on any problem you have.

pg June 11th, 2005 10:20 PM

I must admit it would be nice ot think that the comment cards are actually all read, but, I don't believe it.
2 to 3 thousand cards per ship, per week, many cruiselines would have to employ a full time card reader, and considering some of their cost cutting measures I doubt they would do that.
I do beleive some cards get read, I think they just take a percentage, or scan for the ones that have written comments on them and the computer checks the others.
I still fill mine out.

Bruce Chafkin June 12th, 2005 02:54 AM

pg,

Here is a reality check for you.
I am a Hotel Manager for a major cruse line.
Every Friday night and Saturday night I stay up until the wee hours reading comment cards. From about 2,500 Guests, we receive usually about 1,800 comment cards. About half of those have written comments on them. Of those 900 or so, I am able to make out the writing on about half of them. I'm not sure what has happened to the school system in America these days, but it seems that many of our Guests have a problem with writing English. Unfortunately I waste quite a bit of time trying to decipher the poor penmanship and grammar.
Not only do I read them all, but each one that mentions a crewmember by name (positive or negative) is saved, passed to the appropriate Department Head, then copied and given to the crewmember. Promotions, demotions, and bonuses are directly determined by those mentions.
Then I identify any trends on challenges or complaints. These trends are reported to the head office with an action plan on how to resolve the problems before the next cruise begins.

To those of you who do not complete the comment cards, you can keep complaining on these boards and see where it gets you.

Paul B June 12th, 2005 12:45 PM

Thanks Bruce! Your posts always supply a lot of fresh air to the subjects discussed on this board.

Cougar June 12th, 2005 04:19 PM

Bruce's comments are valid but his tone is ... interesting. Not to hard to guess which line he works for.

belgique June 12th, 2005 10:32 PM

Cougar: What does that mean? I don't know what line Bruce works for - how do you know?

samngeo June 13th, 2005 06:28 PM

Bruce,
Every cruise ship Hotel Manager that I have ever met has been extreemly busy with the day-to-day, and hourly setup of the onboard entertainment.
When do you find time to join our little message board and get so involved with it?

TokyoRose June 13th, 2005 06:52 PM

I seriously doubt Bruce's credentials.

In one post, he says he is a hotel manager, in another he is a waiter.

On every line I have been on, the comment cards where read by shoreside and never touched by anyone on the ship.

Sorry but his posts no longer hold water.

Jim Bragg June 13th, 2005 08:17 PM

Comment cards on at least one line that I know of personally do read the cards onboard each and every week and they sometimes take two weeks to pass down through all the people involved before they are sent ashore.
Jim

Bruce Chafkin June 13th, 2005 08:27 PM

Tokyo,

Apparently my tongue in cheek allusion to being a cruise ship waiter somehow eluded your quick wit.
You must know what you are talking about.
Please disregard all my future posts.

banker June 13th, 2005 09:37 PM

Bruce, the half that you couldn't read were filled out by my doctor!

banker

Bruce Chafkin June 14th, 2005 11:08 PM

smangeo,

I only have time to scan the boards when I am on the ship.
I wait until I am on vacation to get involved with them.

I really see it as a shame that many guests take time out of their holiday to give us some heartfelt feedback on our operation. Then we waste quite a bit of time trying (unsuccessfully) to decipher the writing - and then disregard the entire thing because we cannot understand what they tried to tell us.

jerijohn June 15th, 2005 02:11 PM

I guess I'm a little slow, I just read the post from Mickey on filling out surveys. Do I sense just a smidgon of hostility?

Lisa June 16th, 2005 03:13 AM

Bruce - thanks for the reminder to print or write legibly!! When I take the time and effort to fill out some form, I try to do it to the best of my ability. Trust me, as a nurse, it is so hard to decipher doctor's handwriting - I cannot imagine how hard it is for you to read the scrawl that some people claim is cursive writing (or even printing for that matter.)

Thomas June 16th, 2005 04:47 AM

I can certainly relate to that Bruce. We put survey cards out in our restaurant during the winter to "hear the customer". About 1/3 of them went into the trash because you could not read the writing. Pathetic!

Regards,
Thomas

Mike M June 16th, 2005 01:22 PM

In somewhat of a defense of illegible handwriting. You can only write so small in the space provided on the card, especially if you use the ball point pen that is provided in the cabin.

Take care,
Mike(Who uses his own pen)