Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Default You must work for the cruiseline...

I personally think part of the enjoyment of the message boards is to hear different points of view. It's nice to hear the "I agree with you's" but the folks that disagree offer me a different viewpoint.

I value a good argument, but accusing someone of working for a cruiseline just because you don't agree with their gripe is just silly....(and annoying)....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: You must work for the cruiseline...

Dorothy:

I was going to make a sarcastic remark about being a paid shill for all the cruiselines but I knew if I did that someone would take it literally. Ooops, someone already took the last sentance literally. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike (Who has cruise lines he enjoys more than others.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Admiral

MIke,
You paid shills are all alike.... <VBG>

dorothy (who likes a little sarcasm in her diet - ham on "wry" even though I keep kosher...)

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Every time I see that comment (and heaven knows it appears often enough) I GRIND my teeth. (Dorothy - I see that you are now the official "paid shill" for Carnival.) Join the club - I have been accused of being the NCL 'paid shill'. I guess some people just can't get over the fact that others actually may not feel obliged to agree with their negative assessments of a cruiseline.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Maybe the ones who make a negative comment or continuing negative comments on one certain cruiseline are "paid shills" for a different cruiseline. Just a thought.

Or maybe some people are just never happy or satisified with anything in their lives.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Yeoman

Hmmmmm - Interesting!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I make comment that some see as it negative, some dont. I read comment, I agree and I disagree as only a cruiser and poster.

My experience is if people take some comments to heart and react,,,then they have something to cover or justify.

Could that be because of the odd free cruise placed to them due to their job or position in a certain company?,,,,,,dont know

I just get alarm bells when people start to defend the undefendable...and not just cruising but in life. My alarm says they are covering or hiding something
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: You must work for the cruiseline...

"Could that be because of the odd free cruise placed to them due to their job or position in a certain company?,,,,,,dont know"
Well I guess evil cruiseline shills could be everywhere.l
Personally I get alarm bells when people use scare tactics, insults, outright disinformation and hysterical exaggerations instead of provable facts but that's just me.
I personally place a very high value on truthfulness and react strongly to misinformation.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If the cruise lines "gave away" as many free cruises as people think they do there wouldn't be any room left for paying passengers.

And any of the readers who presume all the CruiseMates staff cruise free would be dead wrong!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:13 PM
Admiral

If they are giving away free cruises to all of the cruiseline shills, then where do I apply?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Me too - I'll be a shill for anyone that wants to give me a free cruise. I'm a gud writter so I wud get lotz ov freee tripz! I'm taking my tongue out of my cheek now - and I agree with Dorothy. Some people just don't want to hear anything that goes against their grain - kind of like teenagers :o) TTFN Jennifer
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Admiral

>>What normal human being will argue someone's opinion if their wasn't an ulterior motive? >>

First, we ALL sometimes argue with another's opinion - (i.e. "Honey, the red will look lovely in the dining room, don't you think?" Response: ""Red?? Are you nuts, red will look AWFUL!").

Second - I was arguing more with the misinformation. Saying how bad the food is on Carnival (an opinion) because, among other things, the dining room menu is the same as the buffet menu (an alleged fact) is simply not true.

I respect other opinions, it's when they are laced with supposed "facts" that are untrue that I speak up. Both my review and the the review my dh posted about our Glory cruise had some comments about things we'd like to see Carnival change. I see their flaws, but the pluses far outweighed the minuses - IMO.

Some of this argument is more about style, I believe. I am a positive, upbeat person. I pretty much make the most of life. I tend to have fun and enjoy myself most of the time. All of the time? Nope. Is Carnival perfect? Certainly not. But I know how important it is to new cruisers to get the facts straight when they are making plans. How they intrepret opinions is up to them, but facts should be facts.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:51 PM
Admiral

>>On Carnival there wasn’t anything in the dining room you couldn’t get in the buffet, not even decent strawberry jam (they only serve strawberry jelly). >>

Big difference between "nearly identical" and your quote above.

That being said, I don't entirely disagree with you. I would like to have seen a bigger menu for both breakfast AND lunch in the dining room. In my review, I commented that my disappointment was in the buffet breakfast. Pancakes one day, french toast the next, then pancakes again....you get the idea. It was fine for a few days, but got tiresome after the 2nd pancake day! We did enjoy the omelette station, though.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Cruisemates is actually a " shill school " in disguise.
Kuki is headmaster who screens all the " I - wanna-be -a shill " applicants. Jim is the one who has the nasty job of actually teaching the shills- to- be the fine art of shilling.
It took me a couple of tries but I did get my genuine " Bachelor of Shilling " degree and it's proudly displayed on my wall. Shilling is a good field. There are never too many shills. Only thing is, I haven't gotten a job as a shill yet.

( * note and disclaimer )
The above was intended as humor and should not be taken seriously
and is not intended to try to entice anyone to sign up for shill school.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

All this talk about people's opinions reminds me of a story when my son was in eight grade.

His teacher gave them a homework assignment that started with IN YOUR OPINION, blah, blah, blah. (sorry, can't remember exactly, son is now finishing 2nd year of college and my mind is alot older) Anyway, when he got back the assignment, he got a "D" on it, as did a lot of other kids. I called the teacher to find out why. She told me that his answer was WRONG. I asked how it could be wrong if it was his opinion. She never really answered me but the issue was it wasn't the same as HER OPINION. A few other parents called her also. She ended up changing all the grades to A's and never again, at least while my son and then daughter had her, gave an assignment that started with IN YOUR OPINION.

Sorry if this is boring but it shows that people should not judge others if an opinion is given. No one is right and no one is wrong. Each person is an individual and each person sees things differently.

Thanks for letting me give MY OPNION on this matter. <VBG>

Post Edited (05-04-05 09:18)
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

The one thing I can get in the dining room that I can't get in the buffet is TABLE SERVICE!

(and tomato juice)

That's why I eat in the dining room most of the time.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Not that it fits in here.. but just a note. On RCI now the lunch menu in the dining room does not change all week. Yup... stays the same each day for the entire cruise.

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I eat breakfast and lunch, about half of the time in the dining room. I like the quiet atmosphere and like Thomas, the table service.

Kuki, who told you about the menus being the same on RCI? You NEVER eat lunch in the dining room. You must work for the cruise line!!!!! <VBG>

Take care,
Mike (Trying my best to get thread back on track with joking personal attack) Oh Jim please delete my post before I have to.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Dont you just love opinion!

The problem is people see EVERYTHING presented to them in all aspects of life differently.

Personally, when the "how many question comes up" in ship conversation. I say I'm approaching 30 cruises, most other cruisers will say, great, what ships, what's your favorite one, ports etc....Others just look at you, and I sometimes feel that they think I've nothing in common with you and they think you must be some sort of "millionaire" to have afforded it.....Wrong

For most of us, it was just hard work, saving ,planned vacation time etc.

Fact is we have done it for a long time and not just jumped onto the band wagon of the last few years for the "cruising experience".

Maybe thats the problem for some us with experience, we have have seen alternatives before it became mainstream. So when someone complains or compares food, when they have never sat down to a dining room menu and a served meal., we react.

As for it just being the same, well thats only some people kidding themselves on, in they have had the same ship experience by being totally casual and only buffet eating, no formal pics etc on the same ship. Well okay you had a cruise, but I actually expeienced more

Some of us like to take in the whole experience, the buffet, the dining room, the service and fellow passenger table chat

Ships today offer vast choices in everything, thats the market, you take personally what you get from it for your money and your expectations. No-one is wrong, but I may not agree with how you rate the same ship at the same time I was on there.....Thats opinion and you comparing your experience or enjoyment to mine,,,,Duuuh, no brainer, we are both right in our expectations and enjoymemt of the vacation

Where it goes wrong is when someone has an expectation. spend a long time saving and they picked the wrong line or ship through ignorance or reading bad , misleading or wrong information. Think about that when you give an opinion or bad mouth "whatever"

Post Edited (05-04-05 15:04)
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Ron...

Very funny post...you made me laugh!

(Of course that is only my opinion...)

tbug
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Admiral

You don't honestly believe that there is anyone on a cruise who has never sat down to a dining room menu and been served a meal, do you?

Seems strange to many of us.. but I can assure you there are a suprising number of people who have ZERO meals in the dining room. They want a completely casual experience, and have room service, or eat on Lido deck.

Old May 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Admiral

>>And may I say, you do a fabulous job of shilling...you're very, very discreet, it took me a while, but I almost believed you when you said that all cruises were great.......>>

Darn it! Another good job by me for which I am not compensated! I'm apparently a fabulous shill, but darn if I get anything for it! Call the cruiselines for me, will you?

Although this was meant as another attack, I've decided to take it as a compliment . If I do a fabulous job of letting people know that all cruises CAN be great, then I have succeeded in presenting my view of cruising! Sorry you "almost" believed me. You would be a much happier cruiser if you DID believe me!

A cruise is what you make of it and if you want to be bitter and miserable, in life AND on a cruise, then you most certainly will find plenty of reasons (excuses) to do so.

I decided to choose happiness and a positive attitude.

And now, hats off to Mike for trying to lighten the mood.

>>but I think saying "no difference" and "nearly identical" is pretty darn close.>>

Close only applies to horseshoes, love and hand grenades.....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Admiral

My mistake familyc - guess I thought you were *still* talking to me since you already accused me of being a shill - hence the confusion about the attack's direction. Since I know Kuki, Jim, Ron and others have been accused of being shills, I feel as though I'm in pretty good company.....

I met a family on our last cruise, Kuki, who did not eat in the dining room ONCE. It was the last day and I encouraged them to give it a try, but they did not want to wear anything other than shorts and bathing suits. They were completely happy with their cruise experience, though.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Family Cruiser, please explain your reference to me:

" Of course, there's always someone ( no doubt a shill for the cruise line ) who
will pick apart every word and twist it, right Ron ? And I may say you do a fabulous
job of shilling---you're very very discreet, it took me a while, but I almost believed you
when you said that all cruises were great ".

Exactly what are you talking about now ?

The only time I let my dog in this fight was to post one time about Jim and
Kuki running a " shill school " and even followed that up with a disclaimer for any poor minded soul who might actually take the post seriously.

Post Edited (05-05-05 23:08)
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Admiral

In my opinion this is getting a tad silly. Familycruiser has her opinion and that is obviously the one she is sticking to :o) I just booked another cruise so I can have still another opinion - oh! I already have it - I will love it, because I don't let the little things bug me. Now I think we should all go over to Dorothy's and paint her dining room red - the exact color of mine lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Admiral

RRRRRRIIINNNGGGGGG

That's the sound of the alarm bell going off. I teach my debate students that there is a point in a debate when it ceases to be a debate and becomes a petty argument. My bell just went off!

Back to the wonderful world of cruising and talking about cruising with my favorite CM buddies! See you on the boards!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Admiral

This sandbox is getting messy - now play nice! I think most of us on here like to poke fun - mostly at ourselves. While we understand our collective "sense of humor" many don't. That's not saying they aren't as bright as we are :o) - they just don't get us. What some think is humourous, many don't. Heck - I don't even understand my own posts half the time - and then there are DavidB and Ron's posts - I get them all the time. Where is my mind? This is a fun board - let's keep it that way - and don't take any of us too seruously or, heaven forbid, we may actually start to take ourselves seriousl and that WOULD BE A SHAME! TTFN Jennifer
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Admiral

All right, lets stop this silly back and forth stuff. It'sd getting old having to delete personal attacks, and only those that are openly nasty at that. Read the TOS about personal attacks or just stop posting.
Jim

Old May 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Admiral

When does a response become a personal attack? Is it by quoting back the person?

If so I've been misquoted in the ones left above, personal attack
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: You must work for the cruiseline...

When is a pun a personal attack. My post asking every one to "shill out" was deleted for no reason that I can discern. I just thought that this useless thread had existed for too long a duration.