Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default read the cruise line's materials

Okay, I know this is a cruise message board and we are all here to help one another BUT so often there are questions asked that have answers clearly spelled out in the materials that the cruise line publishes.

If you are going to take a cruise, it is important that you read all that stuff. When people ask a really basic question that is covered in the cruise material, it shows that they have not read the materials, and are likely to be unaware of some other, and potentially more important, information.

The cruise companies publish this stuff for a reason - you really should do your part and read it all.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: read the cruise line's materials

P.S. - the people who don't bother to read that stuff are most likely to be the first ones to complain when they learn things the hard way.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Admiral

great post diverbl.

especially the P.S.

Post Edited (05-06-05 08:22)
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

I've thought this a hundred times, Diver. I actually LOVE the research part of a cruise, so don't mind reading thru all the brochures, etc. I suppose some people find it a chore and just decide they don't need to.

And you're correct, they are often the 1st in line to complain about something they *could* have known about ahead of time.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Admiral

I think a lot of these people are the ones who are attracted to a newpaper advertisement and walk into a TA's office to sign up for the cruise. The TA tells them the cruise goes to wherever, on this day, your cabin is, your dinner seating is, and your deposit is.

They walk out of the TA's office with a booking number and not much else. So they get on the internet and start investigating cruise web sites.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Gator

I totally agree with you. I don't understand why people don't read the information that is available to thme but most people don't read things during the day to day life. Thanks for showing me that other people agee with me.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Lets be honest, most of the "brochure" and rules published by the lines. You can ignore!

Why, because thats how it seems to work, from pics showing couples relaxing at a table for two with waiter at hand,,,,,,,,,, bulls,it

To empty pools apart from you and me,,,bulls,it

People in formal dress as the norm for formal nights bulls.it.

So sorry Diverbl you do not get a true reflection of cruising or the real come true exerience from the line or their brochures. That comes here and the raw opinions make reality.

Never yet seen a cruise brochure rule that's actually enforced, thats the problem. Publish to attract, back off the rule when we have sold the bunk and reality takes over.

Reading the cruise pitch is not reality on most Q/A's
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Some people may be like me! Our first cruise was a "freebie" from DH's job. We had two weeks notice and were clueless. We didn't even get our documents until we met everyone at the airport to fly to New Orleans.
Unfortunately, I hadn't found this site yet. I sure could have used all the wonderful information here!
I also agree with DavidB. If all you do is read the brochure, you will have some surprises!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: read the cruise line's materials

Well, that may be fair with regard to the "brochure" and sales pitch stuff. Although I think most people realize that sales brochures are exactly that - and are likely to show all the positives and none of the negatives. But, you have a point well taken about that, and I won't disagree.

I was talking more about all the information at the back of the brochure, that talks about things like documentation (there was a post on the board recently from someone complaining that they arrived at the pier with outdated docs for her non-citizen husband, and were denied boarding - they blamed the cruise line), the possibility that ports may be changed or cancelled, etc., or information about when to book return flights (recent post that essentially said "I know the cruise line said not to book flights earlier than 2:00, and I booked a 1:00 return flight, and now the airline changed it to 11:00, and when I called the cruise line they said I might make it if everything goes well but they cannot guarantee it, and how can the cruise line be so insensitive to people who have early flights?").

To my mind, if you miss a flight that you booked for earlier than the cruise line recommends, you have no right to complain to the cruise line. Or if you don't take the time to get the proper documents and cannot board - it is your own fault, not the cruise line.

All this information is available and people spending thousands of dollars on a trip really should take the time to learn these things.

My gripe is with people who are too darn lazy to read the stuff, then complain when things go differently than they expected. If you are too lazy to read the material, then I have no sympathy for you. People sometimes need to take responsibility for themselves and for theor own choices, and not always try to blame the cruise line.
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Hi CelebrityCruiser, how goes it? I dont need to switch to Celeb, been there many times and love them to bits.

Sounds like you had as an adult a perfect adult cruise, nice one.

But still, brochures are not reality, its only money spent and the ship to ship experience of what you like and dont counts,,,,,,,it can be costly getting that experience!

But if people that want to get into cruising come and read boards like CM, then they will have a very good idea of what to expect from each line or ship before booking

Thats, real information and not brochures,,,,personally I just read them for the itinery being offered.
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Admiral

I have to agree that for the most part brochures are not reality. Everyone in the brochures is Hollywood beautiful, shapely and very well dressed even in very casual situations. Believe me, that 's not what I saw on my cruise. What I did see was people being themsevles and having alot of fun. I also have to say that the information in the back of the brochure should be read by everyone cruising. It gives very helpful and valuable information.

Before I cruised I purchased the book Cruising for Dummies. (no comments please) In this book it states that the brochures are for looks only.

Post Edited (05-07-05 16:32)
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:25 AM
pg

I think most of the posts here have some great points.
I too have to wonder about the cruisers who discover a week before cruising that they should have a passport for their European cruise, or that when it says boarding time is 12 noon, they are mad that they can't board at 10"30 am.

Msot adults realize brochures are " selling " tools, but , the back and the fine print are important information.
As much as I like to look at the glossy photos, I always read the fine print!
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Admiral

I'm about to do my first cruise (okay took one too many years ago to count it). My catalog is well worn and I still have six months to go. I agree many people don't take the time to read, but even after reading it numerous times, I still finding things that I didn't know. That's why I've been trying to read every post, suggestion, tip I can find.

I just wanted to let you all know that i appreciate your imput.

P.S. Some people (me included) like to do what y'all call "Whine" on line. Remember, it may make us feel a little bit better (better than doing something worse!) and it might help others. For example, someone griped about what happend when she use her debit card. If it wasn't for her gripe, I might not have known of some of the pitfalls.
Thanks for all your posts.
Dee
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:16 AM
MagnoliaBlossom

Read the brochure! Surely you jest - that's waaay too much acceptance of personal responsibility for many folks nowadays. The people who don't read are also the same people who blab during all the announcements then pester their fellow passengers for the information (which, of course, they don't really listen to either). They are probably the same folks who sit on the stairs and clog passageways while awaiting disembarkation, because - guess what? - they didn't go to/watch/or read the disembarkation information.

As to rule enforcement. Now don't get riled up over this ya'll but . . . MY experience is that Carnival is far less likely to enforce rule infractions than the other lines but when a serious problem (really lewd behavior, fights, roudy late night behavior in hallways) they attend to it promptly. RCCL, NCL and PC seem to be better about enforcing dining room dress code and non-smoking area rules.
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM
venice

read the brochure-find a great travel agent that you can trust who specializes in cruises-come to this website-take more money then you planned-two nights before unpack your suitcase and only take half-have a good time and form your own opinion once you have completed your cruise
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I remember check in for the Norwegian Sky when a passenger threw a fit because he was asked to step to the side to fill in his documentation. The agent said that it was explained in his pre-cruise documentation. His bellowing voice boomed. "No one told me I had to READ anything."

It's a cruise memory that will live forever. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I had those two weeks to prepare like you mentioned. Also walked into a TA bought and paid for my trip, left not knowing what to expect. I read what I was given, but it left so many things out. That's when i found you guys. I am just off the ship, so I still have everything given to me from Carnival, and the TA. If I had used only this info, I don't think i would have had as much fun, and been as prepared. In many ways you guys are TA's. You offer someone like me, a chance to ask those questions.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link