Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Default WATER TAXI DISEMBARK IN CABO

In March, my husband and I were in Cabo. We took a water taxi from the beach back to the marina. The water taxi dropped us off on a floating dock which was right next to a sea wall. There was no ladder to climb up the sea wall, but there was eroded concrete and exposed rebar, which served as a makeshift ladder. It was about a 6 - 7 foot climb. There were a lot of people on the dock trying to get up to the top of the wall. At the top, there were some very "helpful" local gentlemen who were holding out their hands to help people climb. When my husband and I got finally climbed up the wall (it was a fairly chaotic scene), and began to walk away, one of the locals chased us down and asked for a tip. When we gave him the "you aren't serious" look, he got rude and started saying loudly "NO TIP? NO TIP?"

I don't have a problem tipping, but situations like this really upset me. Another similar situation is in Matzatlan where you MUST take a trolley from the ship to the port exit (a few hundred feet) and a tip is expected for that also. You have no choice, you must take the trolley.

Believe me, I do not let things of this nature spoil my trip....the good outweighs the bad by about 100% and for the most part the locals are great. I always strive to be polite and respectful and remember that I am a guest in their country. Yes, I do have empathy for the poor conditions of many of these areas and perhaps people are forced to try to earn a wage in a manner that is not always what we might consider honorable.

But, nevertheless, the situation was dangerous and a bit offensive and I just wanted to warn other of it's existance.

pebbs

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: WATER TAXI DISEMBARK IN CABO

One of the reasons I don't like going to Mexico.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
CruzCrazy

I had the same experience in Nassau when we went to Paradise Island. Disaster, but I heard the taxi rides are even worse.

Now when I go to Nassau I just stay in the town or better yet on the ship.

I'm in Cabo next April, I'll keep the tipping in mind.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pebbs, We had the same situation in Cabo. First, from Lover's Beach you have to pull yourself out of the water and onto the boat, that was bad enough, but at the marina, like to say, a huge concrete wall and no way up. I couldn't believe this is where we were dropped. Luckily, my husband is younger and stronger lol and he pulled me up. It was embarrassing. No one asked for a tip because they just dumped us there, no offer to help. really, I don't know what you would do if you were elderly. It was so bad.