Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Fat People spin off

What happens if you are heavy, but got a slim ass that can fit in a seat, or pre seat test but the rest of you potentially spills over to others?

What happens in your mind when you are sitting with a person with a mental or physical disability, are you cool with that scenario for X hours?

Its not a spin off, its still cheap shots against a target thats easy.

Disagree?,,,,So why has no one started a thread that says I dont want the special needs person sitting beside me?

Why,,,in your mind as a caring thinking person, you would not like yourself to be linked with that type of view, that would be socially unnacceptable,,,,fat people easy target and no one will think me bad.

Think again
Old July 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Hi Zack,

Maybe DM means "Dear Mummy."
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Zack

Guess it depends where you are at the moment.

If your in Belize, DM would be Damn Mosquitoes
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Thank you DavidB..I happen to "fat" (just had gastric bypass surgery 052605) and I also have a son who is developmentally delayed, so you hit both of us but in a good way..

What happens in your mind when you are sitting with a person with a mental or physical disability, are you cool with that scenario for X hours?

Its not a spin off, its still cheap shots against a target thats easy.

Disagree?,,,,So why has no one started a thread that says I dont want the special needs person sitting beside me?
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Lottie Dah

Why does the CM staff let this type of thread go on? It doesn't help anyone with their cruise. Its gets out of hand and gets real nasty at times.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Luvz2cruz, thanks,,, love to you both. Carry on with your life and dont let others predjustice or rule it, or place you in a box,,,,I'm sure you dont.

Lottie, I feel the reason they let subjects like this go on,,,,, is in the hope that people will become more understanding of others,,,,sometimes it works, sometimes not.

But by allowing it brings out the tolerant people that can give a different view to those posting what some think.. Even in cruising people cannot shy away from biggots, racists, fatists, ageists,,,other peoples lifes.

Hopefully right wins and others will see that these peoples opinion is not that of the majority of logical thinking people
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not one person in this thread said anything cruel about people who are large (the joking in the middle seemed to be self-deprecating), about excluding them or not liking them or anything else. No one was demeaned in any way. The original question was about whether it is fair that people who take up two seats have to pay for two seats on an airplane. If someone can persuade the airlines to make the seats larger then that would be wonderful for everyone, but I say yes it is fair because of some unpleasant flights I have had in the past.

The original poster did not seem like a troll or someone trying to be unkind either. Maybe that person has had the experience of having to pay for two seats or on the other hand has experienced unpleasant flights . Much of my family is large and I am not small myself, but it is still fair to pay for what you use. Isn't that what everyone always says when the what's-included-and-what's-not gripes come up? No difference. A person who thinks they could be forced to pay for two tickets could just choose an airline that didn't have that policy.

Gigi
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Gigi, not sure how long you have been about CM, but the original "Fat People" thread was terrible, it brought out the worst in a lot of people back then.

So a new thread calling itself a "spin off" means most will have heard the bigotry, or seen the alienating of others and all that goes with it. So sensible people are very wary of commenting. But me being me I will quote back the thread starters line.

" I agree that fat people should be able to go on a cruise and enjoy themselves and the people that are mean to them or dont include them are low lifes.

There is however one situation where weight does count and that is on an airplane. So the question is should fat people pay double to fly on an airline when they take up two seats?

If you say no would you want to be the person having to sit next to the fat person who takes up your seat so you are squished and uncomfortable (This is related to crusing because most people who go on a cruise take a plane to get there)"

One whey post that they AGREE that fat people have the right to cruise,,,,,,,,I'm sure they appreciate it!

People who dont agree are lowlifes,,,,unless you have to sit with them on a plane to get there. Double standard or what!

It's a thread posted by someone trying to hide predjustice in words, you my friend are doing exactly the same, excuses behind the scentiment of thought.

It is actually a subject that should not be in peoples minds. Since there for the grace of God,,go you or I.

David B
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
sailing gal

Hey,
I never had a problem with someone next to me being big. Now, when I fly again I will look around and wonder what two large people next to eachother are feeling. Maybe I should offer to switch but of course I won't because that is insulting, isn't it?
I hope when I get older I don't start saying things that will hurt others because I don't care anymore. I can't imagine telling someone in the seat next to me that you are in my spot, pay for two seats.
K
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Thanx DavidB and I have read the orignal "Fat people" thread and it was hurtful..I don't know of anyone, myself included, who wants to be heavy and be ridiculed, stared out and whispered about. It took me 2 years to decide to have this surgery and now, 25 pounds (with much more to go) lighter and 22 inches smaller, I am anxious to get on the plane in August to see how I fit.

And Sailing Gal, I appreicate what you said as well. I am older (well not that old, lets just say over 55) and I never want to be ugly about people. God created all of us and I have to sometimes wonder what he thinks with all of the ugliness in the world..
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I don't really care whether others are fat, thin, round, square etc., but I do think it is a sad situation when a person who buys a seat on a plane only gets to use about 3/4ths of it due to a really large person next to him. This isn't really common, but I have seen it happen more than once on eight hour plus flights that were fully loaded.
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Passenger

Well, my friend, I hope you never find out....it is easy to question why someone gets fat, I guess we all have our reasons, some emotional, some medical.....I don't think anyone likes being stared at and made fun of....I don't think anyone intentionally says to themselves, Hey, let's get fat and be made fun of....when i was younger I had a body that would knock you out.....however, as I got older, had kids, well, things just happened, am I proud of it? no! Do I appreciate the fact that people make/made fun of me, no! I didn't choose to be fat and I have taken the extreme measure of having gastric bypass surgery, so wish me luck!

Old July 6th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Listen all you thin lovely people out there. I'm hitting 50 and weigh around 160lbs, standing around 5 10 and I have always been slim. I could eat and drink anything and not put on a pound. I was lucky., some are not so lucky.

Lets not get into stereotypes here, not every overweight person out there is that way because they constantly stick buns, burgers and soft drinks down their necks!

To get some perspective from those that think they are "slim" and have a problem with others

At the height of 5 10 and around 160lbs in my country I've been told to lose some weight by the doc.

Where would my height and weight be seen in your society? or could I be complaining at what you think is your slim ass overspilling onto my seat?
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Fat People spin off

You are just a skinny little pipsqueak! My doc would think you were pining away and tell you to eat more food.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:22 PM
rhondascissorhands

Default Re: Re: Re: Fat People spin off

Ya know, I didn't have a weight problem until I had my kids, and I have a 9 year old son, and twin daughters that are 6. I joined weight watchers and lost 20 pounds, and I worked really, really hard at it. Then just stayed at 140 pounds and my body does want to be any lower than that. what I am trying to say is, had I not had my kids, and been struggling with weight loss, and constantly watching it, I would think like one of the last posters, that well, just stop eating the junk. Well, I have found out that it is not as easy as it seems!! I don't judge anyone or think I know best. Heck, when i had only my son, i thought i was doing all the right parenting too, but, when the twins arrived, they knocked me back down to my socks!!! Some people luck out with good genes and can eat anything, and look at over weight people and think they are doing something wrong.
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:36 PM
First Mate

"There but for the grace of God, go us."
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Passenger

Thats right folk. And teach your kids to hate and be mean to fatties too...after all, you cant get in trouble for it......and then complain like the folk in Tenn or was it KY where the fat kid lost it after years of teasing and started shooting.....the way overweight people are treated...less pay, less promotion, less status, less love.....let alone less life, its a wonder more of them dont take it out on you hypocrites!
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

yeah but tomm, when a flipped out fat person loses it and goes postal on me, I'll just run. Another one of life's miserable injustices will be them realizing they can't catch me!

or maybe the hostage negotiators will use donuts to lure them out. Or the swat team can order an extra cheese pizza for them and the delivery boy will be a cop in disguise, bust down the door and Jackie Chan them with pepperoni sticks.........

banker
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Bruce Chafkin

I really do not care how much a person weighs. It's their business - not mine.

However, if you are looking to surround yourself with overweight people, you might want to go an a cruise where all - or most all - of the food is included and you can eat as much as you want. It must be quite expensive to get so large and stay that way. A cruise is the place to go if I want to stay large without breaking the budget.

If you are bothered by large people, you might want to go to a place where every bit of food is for sale at an extra cost.
Old July 16th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Admiral

When someone buys a ticket on an airplane they have rented a seat or space which extends vertically from the floor to the ceiling as wide as the arm rests. A skinny person has as much right to their space as anyone and a fat person who extends beyond their space is invading the rented space of the other without permission to do so.

Wider seats would only mean higher fares for everyone and would only reduce the problem, not solve it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
sea=u=later

Same wth increased health ins. And dont forget about the people eating up whats left of our social security because of thier obese condition.
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

guess what sea=u=later, I know of folks that are of "average" "normal" weight that go to the doctor more often then thier obese counter parts ... let's not make blanket statements such as this when it is built not on facts but on bias ...

Also, there is much more wrong with our Social Security system then the issues dealing with health ... and size has nothing to due with that ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I would wager a large sum of money that the average obese person has many more health problems than the average thin person. The same goes for heavy drinkers and smokers.

That being said, I could care less what someone else does or looks like. That is their business, not mine.

I only get concerned when someone takes up part of my airline seat or blows smoke in my face

Live and let live and we will all live longer!
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM
sailing gal

Hi,
Speaking of space, is there an unspoken armrest rule. I got stuck between two guys who put their arms on the armrests. I had to keep my arms next to my sides the whole time.
K
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Admiral

I would wager almost any amount that obese people on the average are much more unhealthy than thin ones. The same thing goes for smokers and heavy drinkers.

However, I could care less what other people do or look like. I am only bothered when someone takes up half of my seat on the airline or blows smoke in my face.

Live and let live!
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Mike In Pgh

In your body ecroaches on someone else's seat, you should pay for that extra space.
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Sailing gal - next time that happens try wiping your nose on their sleeves - bet it works lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Passenger

I find it hard to beleive what some of you are saying about some of the population. It is a shame that we are not all perfect people who are thin, dont drink,dont smoke, dont overindulge at the buffet, who dont take the kids out of school for a vacation, the list goes on with what i have read on these boards. It is getting to the point of sounding like some people want a society of sameness and if someone is different then they are out there to be picked on and belittled.
The above is just my opinion .
Thank You

till Glory days on the Glory
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Well said Shelly and you stay happy
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Passenger

Thank You David. I really thought i would get slammed with that message but i could not hold my tongue any longer. I mat still get slammed though but hey such is life it is all opinions.

Michele

till Glory days on the Glory