Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:09 AM
Gertrude

Default Fat People spin off

I agree that fat people should be able to go on a cruise and enjoy themselves and the people that are mean to them or dont include them are low lifes.

There is however one situation where weight does count and that is on an airplane. So the question is should fat people pay double to fly on an airline when they take up two seats?

If you say no would you want to be the person having to sit next to the fat person who takes up your seat so you are squished and uncomfortable(This is related to crusing because most people who go on a cruise take a plane to get there)
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Fat People spin off

This topic has been on this board so many times before it is not even funny ... the amount of space taken up by an obese person can also be compared to the amount of space taken up by one that is a body builder ... only difference is where the discomfort would come from ... shoulder and neck area as oppose to the butt area ...

Then there is discomfort due to odor ... be it from colognes, aftershave, perfume, body odor, mouth or clothing ...

Where does one draw the line at comfort and such ... you are on your way to a cruise ... do not sweat the small stuff ... and it is just that ... small stuff ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:03 AM
Bruce Chafkin

If I want to send a package air express, should I be forced to pay twice as much if it weighs twice as much?
Should the freight people be allowed to discriminate against people with heavy packages?
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM
Admiral

bruce--twice as much as what? I don't think I understand your point. You usually do pay by weight. Maybe the airlines should start doing that.

Old June 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Fat People spin off

I really don't care if people are fat, thin, short, tall, round or square. However, is someone is too large to fit in one seat in an airplane, they sghould occupy and pay for two seats.

When I buy my own airline, that's the way it will operate.
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As far as I know, some airlines ARE charging people for two seats if they can't fit in one - I thnk Southwest is one. Maybe that is just a ploy by the airlines though - the seats keep getting smaller and smaller. How are you going to feel on the day they tell you that at 160 pounds you are too big for one seat and have to pay for two?

Old June 21st, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

I guess that if you moon the seat next to you, you are to large.
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

funky smells from the person next to you are annoying, perhaps someone causing me uncomfort due to size (either a muscle head or person of magnitude)

but what about the annoying moron that sits next to you (especially when travelling for work) ??

I am all for an IQ based pricing system (although I would be one of people paying more) - but conceptually it seems like a good idea

that is more annoying than a fat person infringing on my space.

banker
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Banker,

I found a solution for the IQ issue - when I flew a lot (3-4 time a month), I would make sure I was good and tired before the flight and sleep through the whole thing...

Jodi

Old June 21st, 2005, 10:52 PM
Zack

arge people come in all sizes and its not always due to body fat. Sometimes it's a matter of the girth of guys shoulders that makes it a tight fit. I once sit next to an Ex-NFL super bowl ring wearing linebacker. (Don't remember his name). Nice guy.

I'm have a large upper body myself. The only thing that saved us was a petite young lady that was nice enough to give up her window seat and sat in the middle. If the passenger needs a belt extension; they will more than likely take up more than their share of seating space. If so facto, they should have to either be placed next to a child or petite person or should have to pay for two seats. Maybe to super size folks might could split the cost of the middle seat and make everyone happy.
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Zack Solomon, you've done it!!!!!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:41 AM
ccseadoo

what i dont understand is I pay the same price as everybody else on the plain, reguardless if I weigh 100 or 400 lbs. but be damed if my luggage is 2 lbs over weight..i have to pay a fine????
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
First Mate

I'm not flamming or dissing anyone. But how can the bashing of fat people improve the quality of a cruise?

I thought that the purpose of the gripe board was to bring to light aspects of a trip which need improvement------------such as, service, food, cleanliness. etc.

Am I right?
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Cougar

ccseadoo, theoritically the surcharge is to discourage overweight bags because they are difficult for the baggage handlers.

Realistically, you're right.

There is a weight limit to what an airplane can hold, of course. Overweight situations where bags have to be removed do happen, so the rules lessen that.
Old June 26th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Barb,

Yes you are right ... and this bashing of fat people gets visited every so often ... usually when there is not much going on ...

However, for some, it does affect thier cruise ... or so they say ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Barb, some of us have to fly to get to the ship, so yes it does have something to do with cruising :-)
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Cougar

Criticizing anybody for their physical characteristics is comtemptable. Period.
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mocking people for their appearance is contemptible, but not wanting to be oozed on by flubber in an airplane is not. I myself am not skinny, but I DO fit into my seat with some room to spare. We don't fly much, but it has happened to me a few times. Mainly it is just a nuisance, but the worst time (when I WAS skinny) the person's extra was under and over the armrest with me wedged all the way to the opposite edge with the person's elbow in my stomach. This truly was not fair. At the time I was too Southern to complain--a situation advancing age is slowly changing--and just tried to scrunch up to get away. But why should the person occupying only his or her space be forced to take evasive maneuvers? If someone takes up two seats (or even half of my rented air real estate), then that person should pay for two seats. If I am ever large enough that I am taking up someone else's seat, then I would understand that isn't fair and would sadly but uncomplainingly pay the extra fare.

I think part of the problem may be that people do not perceive themselves as they are. I know that in my mind I am the same size now that I was then, but photos tell a different story. People probably do not realize how often and to what extent that others do give them leeway and just move out to the way to let them through. Though this is only slightly related to cruising, most people do have to fly to get there, and it was very unpleasant and unfair (and before airlines started double charging--at which I nearly cheered).

Gigi
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Maybe if airlines made seats that were able to fit real sized people, this would not be a problem.....but we are all forced into fitting into seats that are smaller than the normal average size American person. Until the airlines fix the problem, do not blame someone of over average size (not hunongously obese) of being bigger than the seat, blame the airlines. Just watch, one day, airlines will have seats that are only 11 inches wide and then even the skinny minnies will be complaining that they can't comfortably fit in those seats. Then see how you feel.

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know. It would (hopefully not will) make me very sad as I said above. But I'm an above average size now which makes me sad enough and I fit in my space. I'm not referring to someone of above average size not being comfortable in their seat. This was a person taking up much of my seat. And when the airlines start making the seats that big, we'll all be paying double and the skinnies will be able to curl up and really relax.

Even using the "f" word in the original post to refer to someone is not something that I would ever do. It just sounds unkind, but it is fair that if a person doesn't fit into a single spot that they should have to pay for two rather than half-way sitting on their neighbor's lap for the entire trip. That's only fair.

Gigi
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

It all comes down to money ...

You speak of average size ... guess what ... the average american is obese ...

Also, like I said earlier ... what about the "other" forms of uncomfortable on the airline ... to much perfume ... to much carry on ... to much talking ... where does it stop and who should be the judge of what is "above" average ...

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Zack

The Majority!
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Admiral

You know how the airlines have a little frame that you put your carry on into to see if it is too big to take on the plane with you .

They could have an airline seat next to the ticket counter for each passeger to try out. Then, is they bulged out over the sides, they would have to buy two tickets. I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Americans as a group are certainly too fat, but I have seen a lot of people from other countries also being very heavy. I really don't care if anyone is very skinny or very fat, but both are probably unhealthy.

You are what you eat!
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:01 AM
First Mate

My major complaint about airline seats is the lack of legroom, which worstens when the person in front of me reclines his seat. My DH and I try to book bulkhead or aisle seats. In this way, we don't step over people when we need to get up.

Fortunately, we are not large people, but we can understand your concerns & discomforts.
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to samngeo Send a message via Yahoo to samngeo

I don't mean to sound ignorant or anything; but what is a DH?

Nov 01 Ocean Princess
Dec 01 Ocean Princess
Feb 02 NCL Norway
Dec 02 NCL Sun
Feb 03 NCL Wind
Dec 03 Coral Princess
Feb 04 Celeb Zenith
Nov 04 Rhapsody OS
Dec 04 Crnvl Elationx2
Aug 05 NCL Spirit
Oct 05 NCL Dream
Nov 05 Sapphire Princess
Dec 05 NCL Wind
Oct 06 Crnvl Pride
Nov 06 Crnvl Triumph
Nov 06 Star Princess
Feb 07 Crnvl Conquest
Apr 07 Crnvl Fascination
Oct 07 Radiance OS
Nov 07 Golden Princess
Feb 08 Crnvl Spirit
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM
sunnytropic

DH = dear husband
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

every time i see this thread i laugh at it - at the title

fat people can't spin off - they roll off -

banker
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Zack

I thought DM was Damn Husband?
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Zack

Ooops I mean: DH was Damn Husband. DM is Damn Mailman.
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey banker ... I can spin ... it is just not fun for the other guy when I get dizzy and fall down ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004