Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Slllloooooooooowwwww picture takers

Everyone has been in the situation where you are walking down a hall, or maybe near a popular landmark, and you notice someone taking a picture, usually with others in the picture, and you realize you are heading right in between them...so as most people do, you are polite and stop until they finish.

Of course sometimes you may not notice and accidently walk right between them...I believe that most of the time it is just an accident, and with digital cameras so popular, it isn't a big deal.

We have all probably been on both sides of this at some point or another. These are not my gripe.

My gripe is those who are taking the picture thinking that because he/she has a camera, they own all of the space around, and while they can clearly see others wanting to walk by (and politely waiting), they have to take so long to pose everyone, or figure out how they want the shot, or tell the little kid to look at the camera...etc.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Slllloooooooooowwwww picture takers

You mean I'm not supposed to take my time and make others wait so I get the "perfect" picture. <VBG>

Have to agree with you, this is a pain. So isn't the people who purposely walk in front of you when then know you are taking a picture. When we were on our cruise, a young punk walked in front of my camrea three times while I was trying to take a picture of my DH on deck. The last time he did it, I nicely said if he did it again the next view he would have would be of the ocean. He got the point because he hurried along and didn't return.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
Mickey from NY

Slow picture taking is a great cruise gripe. I have to agree. And that is why I never stop for picture takers. I make believe I don't see them. So basically, I am in a lot of people's vacation photo. Have you seen me?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
First Mate

When large groups block staircases for picture-taking.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:04 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Ah, but Barb, if that group had arranged with the cruise line to have those pictures taken, they have paid for that! Yes, it can be frustrating, but these people paid to have that time on the staircase and have a right to have their picture taken there.

I may be a slow picture taker at times, but sometimes I just need to take time to make sure the shot will be a good one - especially if I am NOT using a digital camera and I might be wasting film. Easier with a digital camera as you can delete a bad picture, but you can't do that with a regular camera........and believe me not everyone has digital cameras!

Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:25 PM
DavidB Mk2

Lisa, I get where you are going and I DO give respect and grin and watch the happy family group on the stairs. But when you cause us to be 15 minutes late for dinner and the Q on the stairs is now three decks up the ship.....Please just take the photo!

Chill people, its vacation and no place to go on that ship that you cannot take a minute out for, respect
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, whenever I have to alter my life for at least an extra 5 to 15 seconds to allow someone else to have a memorable life, it makes my blood boil. Curses.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

5 to 15 seconds isn't what bothers me. Beyond that is inconsiderate, that is what I gripe about.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Droopy Sails

I always just offer to take the photo so the photographer can be in it, too. Then I go, okay, ready? Five, four, three, two, one...

Gets the shot taken a lot faster so we can all move on! And they get a photo of everyone in their group, so they're happy.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Step

How about the people who feel they must use the running track as their stage. With plenty of other decks some feel the view off the track is the perfect picture. The photographer is on one side of the track and the subject on the other. So all the runners are put on hold while The photoprapher gets the perfect pose and focuses. There must be hundreds of other spots to get that sunrise photo. Lets leave the jogging track to the joggers!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Droopy Sails

Good point! This doesn't bug me enough to start a thread about it, but I wish people wouldn't stand around in groups socializing on the running track. That track gets pretty crowded and people using it for party central create big bottlenecks.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Admiral

The mental picture that your scenario Step presents is priceless. I'm sure it could become a sketch in some comedy show.

Stage; the running track on ship, on one side is Dad who is camera dyslexic, other side of track at the ship rail is the grinning family (grins fading) and to the right of all is a tailback of joggers all running on the spot, and beginning to get "jogger rage".

Just need the eye in the sky descibing it !
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Who goes on a cruise to jog...Takes too much time away from eating!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Admiral

I like to make faces and try to get them laughing - it really slows down the process lol.
I do think if you are going to take some time "lining up" that perfect shot - you should wave people on by.

ttfn Jennifer
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
convert

Jog? Oh, those people up at six in the morning running around in circles. I do that myself, only its in the form of strolling in front of the food at the buffet.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Admiral

What I hate is always being asked to stop and pose with sister, mom, daughter, friend, etc. by every lady carrying a camera. They all think I am related to Bob Hope but I'm really just Hopeless.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM
convert

I'm sorry you resemble Bob Hope, he's dead.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Thomas,
Thanks for the memories! What a nice 100 years he gave us!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Admiral

My husband finally go so fed up with people walking right in front of his camera, that he began to SAVE all of the pictures of people walking in the middle of picture taking! He finally put a bunch of pictures on our website (sorry, they're off now, you would have enjoyed them!) some were hysterical, like people looking right AT the camera as they walk by! When he got the pictures up, we laughed so hard looking at them I thought i was going to split a gut!! (or whatever!)

Sometimes the most annoying situations can turn out to be the funniest if you have the right attitude!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas