Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default what was your worst cruise?

Well although we have absolutely enjoyed every cruise we have been on I was wondering...have you ever had a really bad cruise?

If so,
what cruise line?
what ship?
what year?
Where did the cruise go?

thanks!

Voyager-04
Elation-04
Ecstasy-04
Grandeur-05
Elation 7/3/2005~!!!
Celebrity Galaxy 12 night panama canal
12/17/2005!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=12&year=2005&day=17&hour=18:0
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM
cruisingrandma

Default Re: what was your worst cruise?

Havent had one yet. hope never to have one. All our cruises are the best. have the time of our lives....
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Zack

Ship of Hooey!

NCL - Norwegian Sea - 2004 – Roatan, Cozumel, Cancun, and Belize

I cruised all of the majors and the only one I will never cruise again would be NCL. Probably the only thing that would make me reconsider would be if the destinations were places that I've never been and none of the other lines went there. The odds of that happening would be slim.

I guess I've got spoiled by the other lines and NCL made me feel more like a piece of luggage than a paying customer. The destinations were fine, but any ship can get you there.

We found getting on and off the ship at all ports very stressful when compared to other cruise lines. The food and service was not remarkable and for the price of the cruise, I didn’t expect that much. However, compared to the other lines dollar for dollar, my money can be better spent elsewhere.

If price and food volume is your only concern NCL is the ship for you. Otherwise spend a little more and look elsewhere.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Bad cruise? Whats that?

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 29th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

A cruise is like sex.

Even when it's bad....it's still pretty good!

banker
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Mrs. O'Hara

I know it sounds trite but my worst cruise is the one I am not on. I have yet to be on a ship that had no redeeming qualities. There was something to recommend on all of them.
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Zack

Is the good ship Lolly Pop still afloat? I think maybe some of these folks just got off.
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Banker, you're bad.....REAL bad......and that's why we love you.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Maasdam, Holland America 12/11/04.

We lost an engine and pulled in extremely late at most ports. We finally got to St. Thomas in the afternoon, and were anchord in the outer anchorage. By the time we could get a tender ashore, it was already after 3:00pm which precluded our planned visit to Coral World.

The ship, it seemed, was not fully booked. Holland America reduced the price tremendously (we couldn't change to the new low price because it was passed the allowed time for changing without a $50 surcharge.)

The ship sailed out of Norfolk. The newly booked passengers (who paid so little) were a sorry lot. OK, call me a snob, but when somebody yells out to the string quartet, "Yeoow, I'm a hillbilly. Let's hear some good fiddlin'," I've had it. Also, when someone is tattooed from neck to ankle (female) that is also too much.

Joan
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
venice

I've never had one, but I suspect your responses on this board will reflect that even if some had a "not as good as I would like cruise", everyone will cruise again.

the people that had a really bad cruise experience, enough so they would say they would never cruise again, would in all probablity, not be posting on CM

As to Banker's comment I'm not sure that is a good analogy..since this is a "pg" board, I'll refrain from further comments but there are some major differences..the good news is the contrapositive of his statement
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:07 AM
sailing gal

Does having your cruise companion miss the boat in port constitute a bad cruise? If so, then I had one not so good cruise. No fault of the cruiseline though. In that case, I wish the jetson like future addition on a ship is a small hover craft to pick up the stranded, Of course, there will be a big fee but it costs to fly back anyway. Or in honor of Scottie "Beam me up".
K
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Venice, "contrapositive"???

Hey, I use contrapositive's, and it's still good!

And in honor of Scottie, "I canna hold'er any longur Captun, she's about ta blow!"

banker
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Admiral

I hate all my cruises. I can't stand the regimented routine of eating at this time, meeting at that time, line up for this, gather over here for that, etc., etc, etc.

I won't go on another cruise again, oh............well, after my Liberty cruise in January I mean. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Katerina

Our worst cruise was on Celebrity - Mercury. It was the smoking - we had chain smokers on each side of us in the cabins - the smoke was so bad in their rooms that they propped the doors open and of course it all came in under our door. Our eyes were burning all the time we were in the cabin. When you entered the hallway to get to the cabins the air was blue with smoke. A complaint to the steward got the reply "I don't like it either but they said they paid as much as you did and are entitled to smoke in their rooms" by the way, there was a sheltered section of deck just 50 steps from this area where they could smoke outside. A complaint to the front desk got the reply "we have to have smoking on board because we are a European company and Europeans expect it" I asked how many Europeans we had on board - well, none.

A letter to the company did not even merit a reply. Smoking was bad all through the ship - it is allowed on one side and not the other but, of course, the smoke drifts across to the non-smoking side anyway and we couldn't even sit and listen to the string quartet in comfort.. I will never, ever sail with Celebrity again.
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Katerina, when you booked you missed the part that said it was a group cruise.
The group was called "Chain Smokers - Proud and United!"

I think in that situation you were perhaps in the minority and your complaints fell on a deaf ear. As you were in the minority, what was your complaint based on?

An enlightened person would seek to sympathize with smokers who are prevented from smoking in public areas etc. Now you know exactly how they feel when they are told not to smoke outside in open areas.

banker
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:08 PM
H and A

Never had a cruise bad enough to not enjoy it, but we are very relaxed travelers. I would say our worst was due to weather. We went to the caribbean via NCL and we had rain and storms and semi-rough seas the whole time. Still great fun though but we wound up eating too much as other active activities were limited. The ship crew really seemed to step up to though which was great.

We always look for the good parts as its a vacation. I am still amazed at how many people nit-pick while traveling.
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Katerina, that was shocking and must have been a terrible experience.

What shocks me more is your letter to the line did not merit a reply, thats bad.

I cannot believe you could not listen to the string quartet, without smokers wasting it.

Plus, there would be people talking, laughing, kids running, people shouting drinks orders,,,all those terrible things that others do on ship,,,oops sorry you did not gripe about them. Lets hit smokers,,,terrible people
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Admiral

banker and DavidB,

You guys are a hoot!! Hope we get to cruise with both of you someday.

We'll smoke too much, drink too much, eat too much, take up all the pool chairs, poke people with our canes, and laugh too loud!

We've never had a "bad" cruise. I think the only way we'd have one is if the ship sank!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Katerina

I'm sorry you all think it is so funny. It was not funny but a miserable experience.
When we have to share the same air smokers should not foul it up for the non-smokers. Burning eyes and a raspy throat are no joke. My father-in-law died from
lung cancer after a lifetime of smoking and my brother-in-law has a serious progressive lung disease - also from a lifetime of smoking. No, smoking is not funny.
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:41 AM
venice

second hand smoke is a serious medical issue..if one is allergic to smoke it can be miserable if you are on a ship with alot of smokers..I once had a cabin that a serious smoker had been in the week before, and within 5 minutes of entering my eyes were swelling and my nose started running (at first I thought cats had occupied the room)..the cabin steward had them clean the room and use something to get the smoke out, but the next day they moved me to another cabin
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Katerina

thanks venice for a serious reply - I am allergic to smoke also and have the same reaction. I once had to leave a job because the smoking in the office was so heavy.
I would love to have changed cabins on that cruise but the management would not do it - if they care so little about the comfort of their passengers then I don't care to cruise with them again.
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM
First Mate

No such thing as a bad cruise---------unless you were on the Titanic or Andrea Doria.
Hee Hee.

Barb
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Bad cruise?! Never. I did have a bad time getting to a cruise last year...does that count? Our documents got "lost', and we didn't receive them until 3 days before we left home. Our NCL-arranged transportation to London was the pits (Orlando-Chicago-London), ending up with our arriving at the pier in Dover 15 minutes before sailing! Excursion desk on board had no record of our 4 booked tours (even tho we had confirmation in hand). But the cruise itself? Fabulous!! Really!

I suppose I could also include my very first cruise (Cunard Princess, Nov. 1978), which turned out very strangely. We were sailing on "the newest cruise ship in the world", but she lost an engine shortly before we arrived at our first port (San Juan), so we had to stay there an extra day for repairs. We then sailed to St. Thomas, from whence we were supposed to visit someplace in the Dominican Republic and then Nassau before returning to Port Everglades. But we never made any of those places...not even Port Everglades!!

Long story short: with the engine kicking up again we miss the D.R., stopping instead in Tortola, B.V.I. (try imagining Tortola in 1978!), before then proceeding to our final (but unscheduled) destination...St. Croix in the U.S.V.I. We were then, and only then, told that the ship would not be returning to our port of origin in Florida. The ship would be returning to the San Juan shipyard, sans passengers, while the lucky 800 or so pax would be flown on charter aircraft to Miami. Miami! And that's the way it went down. We cruised back to Florida on American Airlines. Those of us who had cars or whatever back at Port Everglades were then bused there from MIA. End of story.

But regardless of that, I still maintain that I've never had a bad cruise.<G>

Jack (the eternal optimist)

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Cruisin K and J

We sailed on the QE2 transatlantic in April '98 from England to NYC. To begin with, the old girl showed her age. I guess she's had a face lift since.

Anyway, we had gale force winds of 9 (10 and up is a hurricane) which smashed windows that had to be repaired in NY, and made lots of people seasick. It was too cold to be outside on the deckchairs. The 24-hr. food deck had to be closed. We nearly froze to death in our cabin, and it took three days before they did anything about it.

Even though it was a big effort to walk across the cabin, the powers that be on the QE2 insisted that the formal dress code be observed every night.

Somebody on this thread said that even on a bad cruise, there's something good. Maybe so, because the dinner restaurant served absolutely marvelous food every day.

Judy
Old July 30th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

My worst cruise is any that has to call my disembarkation color telling me it's time to go back to reality.
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:51 PM
JIMMIE

The troopship USS General MUIR. The only redeeming factor was that I was on the top (6th) fold-down bunk and I got almost enough air (had to sleep with my duffle bag tho). I think I cruised on this same ship later as the Fair Princess.
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
seaangel

After 30+ cruises I never thought I'd have a bad cruise.......I was wrong. THe NCL Dawn, 2003. The food was horrible.....so bad that a few times I had to spit it into a napkin. The service was the worst we have ever experienced on a ship. THe only good food was in the "resturants" you have to pay for. THe ship itself is pretty but nothing to write home about. THe best part of the ship was the kids pool area. Our son loved it and it was a good place to get away from all the crowds. We would only cruise on NCL if it were free and even then we'd think twice about it. We'll stick with Princess.
Happy sailing,
sea angel
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Juliet

Katerina

You really have to stop taking things so seriously. Don't you understand the difference between light hearted ribbing and serious answers.
You really ask for the comments in your gripes, remember when you only had your tray carried once?
Please chill out and stop demanding everything your way, if you want white gloved service and high class people try an expensive 6 star line like Crystal or Seaborn. Unfortunately you get what you pay for in this life.

Juliet
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Luckily our worst cruise ever had the most wonderful itinerary: (Baltic Capitals) We really had a blast.

We really did not enjoy the ship very much for many reasons. We ended up having alternative dining 9 out of 12 nights because the food was so terrible.

The ship was the Norwegian Dream (We did like our cabin however!)

Second worst cruise was Windjammer Amazing Grace but again the itinerary was just fantastic! Trade offs I guess.

Third worst was R.C.C.L. Radiance.

Otherwise our 20+ cruises have all been pretty wonderful! But none have been even close to perfect. Perfection is hard to find or maybe we're just picky.

Post Edited (08-09-05 17:56)
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Chuck,
We are going on the Radiance for the 2nd time...May I ask what was so bad???

We have never had a bad cruise just bad cruise ship and that would be the NCL Star. It was brand new and looked so beautiful. Everything was great until the first night we tried to sleep. Our balcony cabin was midship but it creaked alllllll night long. It sounded like someone was trying to come in. Even my then 16 y/o son, who can sleep on and thru any noise, had trouble sleeping. When we inquired about it the next morning, other cruisers said they experienced the same thing. It was explained to us that the ship had the new kind of "floating ceiling" from deck to deck for more "give" while moving. Then we noticed the creaking everywhere; theater, dining room, library. The other thing that was bad was they charged everyone $10 to see the Hollywood "legend" star, Marty Allen. His show was boycotted. This was also our first experience of anytime dining and we did not like it. The wait staff were like robots, not personable or smiling at all and since you didn't have the same one each night, no one got to know you and your likes. Positive: the beds were heavenly for what little sleep we did get.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302