Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Default Balcony

Hello! I thought I would throw my two cents in;-) We have been on several cruises and always get a oceanview room. This year we decided to get a room with a balcony. We spend very little time in our room but thought it would be a nice change especailly since we are on a seven day cruise. I love the idea of sitting on the balcony in the morning with my Mimosa! Not to mention that I think it makes the room feel more open! I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. Best wishes and happy cruising to all!
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Passenger

I bet if you could ask any of the passengers from the past who sailed on those beautiful ships with no balconies if they would like one in their room they would unanimously say yes.
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Private Balconies & Verandahs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEZ NJ
Sorry guys, I know this is an odd gripe, but the private balconies and verandahs bother me. Now before I get started on why, please understand that I'm an ocean-liner purist; As such, I simply cannot stand balconies!

Now I am all for privacy, depending on the situation. I've read the following idea before, but I think it fits here.... and it's that ships are primarily social events. You make friends, you talk, you meet with people for lunch or the daily activities. I think the private verandah--in addition to wasting space--sort of detracts from the charm of being able to run into people on the Promenade. Kind of makes me think that it defeats the purpose of a Promenade deck, because 75% of the cabins have balconies!

Sorry guys, just the point of view of a guy who loves true liners. I just have never been able to grasp what ya need a balcony for... you're really only in the room to sleep, shower, and change clothes. But if they have to be there, why not disguise them? Or better yet, how would you feel about having some tall windows in your room as opposed to the balcony?
I know this is a silly rant.
I see nothing silly about your post JohnEZ. For several years now I have felt the same way. Also, todays new mega ships are butt ugly due to these new designs.
Ain't it funny how an industry that made it's name and money from something completely changes it's self all in the name of greed!
On today's ships your lucky to meet a fraction of the fellow passengers. Other aren't out and about, they all seem to laid up in their rooms and balconies. This is especially true for the (married couple) clientel like my wife and I. On our past several cruises we've been luck to meet and spend time with any other couples. I won't even get into the freestyle dining and what that has done to the social life of cruising!
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Captain

I can understand a person who likes classic things. I belong to a car make club where some members have vintage or classic models of this make, and others have brand new ones. In fact, some members have some of each! Discussions abound as to whether the classics are better than the new ones, or vice versa. There, as here, here is no right or wrong opinion.

The positive thing I do like about balconies -- expecially on ships that are all or mostly balcony rooms, is the fact that the ship gets ventilated because of them. This is an advantage whether one ever uses the balcony, as it results in elimination of stuffy odors and (IMO) helps retard disease spread onboard.

Many modern ships cary so many guests per unit of outside sitting area that the only way to enjoy being outdors and NOT be in a crowd is to book a balcony. And on some of those "monster ships" it is such a long way from room to outdoor sitting area.

I usually crise on ships that are either all- balcony or nearly so. There is no lack of social interaction, which seems to be more a function of ship's activities than stateroom design.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Well said Richard. It's easy enough to socialize on board when the mood strikes - but sitting on your own and just watching the waves has it's own special aura.

I never thought about the air circulation aspect - but that really makes sense. These day, when dieeases seem to spread so rapidly - that is definately a consideration. Besides - where else can you find fresh air that is exactly that - fresh? I sleep like a baby on a cruise and that wonderful fresh air has a lot to do with it.

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Default Private Balconies and Verandas

Probably noone will read this as I am posting long after anyone else.

I hope I never have to have a cabin without abalcony again. I love it for the reasons stated, and also, on a very scenic cruise, there's something really special about viewing the gorgeous surroundings as ease on your own spot. You don't have to be jostled to see anything.

What I DON'T like are enclosed balconies such as the ones on the new Queen Mary II.

Judy
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is our first cruise and like one of the other people who posted my husband and I also have very demanding jobs which require us to be around people all of the time and when we go on vacation whether it is a cruise or just to an island we do like to spend some time alone with each other and we are excited to have our balcony and also excited about the may group activites including shore excursions we have booked. This is why we wanted a balcony
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Admiral

scubagirl - I hope you enjoy your first cruise - and choosing the balcony was a wise move. We are by no means anti-social but a balcony just has that great "chill out" factor. Wait until you stand out there when everything is pitch dark - except the moon - and all you can hear are the waves slapping against the hull - absolutely fabulous and totally romantic!

Cruisin K&J - I would rather wait longer between cruises that not have a balcony - I'm with you on that one.

TTFN Jennifer
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Admiral

My concern with the balconies is when you have payed as much money as I have to be right up there on the top balcony deck on the Golden Princess.

Can I expect people from steerage staring over the pool rail wanting to ogle my body? Is that what I am paying for?
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

our room is also on the very front of the ship on the highest deck which offers rooms on the front and what an interesting perspective I never thought of the fact that people may be able to see us on our balcony uh oh I guess not sitting on my balcony in the nude
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:45 PM
Captain

Well, the line I usually cruise has several all-balcony ships, an 85% balcony ship, and a 60% balcony ship. But it's not "steerage" to book a non-balcony room (on ships where they have some). Last month, we did a two-weeker on the ship with 60% balconies, but we booked a non-balcony room because the balonies are small on that ship and the ship is small (290 guests) That it wasn't very far to an open deck. And small ships like that tend to be uncrowded. Personally, I think the "absolutely have to have a balcony" attitude arrises from the crowded mega ships, where the room and balcony are the only privacy you have.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Richard, great to hear from you, hope all in your world is well..mine diminishing by the post.

The "steerage" thing was my "alternative" humor

But I have been on ships, that people are paying MEGA bucks for their SUITE only to have the pool deck ogle over the top of it and right down on them and their BIG balcony.

Having looked over like every other rubber neck. My thought was, would I spend all that money to have "others" wanting to see "the difference" to their experience on this ship,,,no I would be really p'd off.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Captain

DavidB:

Oh, yes, I've been on some ships that DID have rooms that I can only call steerage, and not be joking. Little dark, dank inside things. The worst I ever saw were on NCL's SS Norway (no longer in service). They were all of 66 square feet with metal bunk beds and decor that reminded me of a jail cell (not that I ever spent any time in one --- just visited a few clients there). And the Norway was a BIG ship with very few elevators, so it was hard to get to an open deck from these rooms. A week or two under these circumstances, and I'd be demanding a balcony on all future cruises, for sure!

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth
Personally, I think the "absolutely have to have a balcony" attitude arrises from the crowded mega ships, where the room and balcony are the only privacy you have.
Why would individuals whom live in a box such as a Condo, Townhouse, or Apartment want to spend several thousand bucks to spend additional time in another box (cabin) on a ship? Makes no sense to me!
Of course it may be comfortable to many as most folks can't handle change, thus they feel right at home this way on a ship. Take a rat from a box in a cage here, put him in another cage somewhere else with a box in it, he'll go right in due to the habit.
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Babe Ruth! We actually HAD one of those cabins that were 66 sq ft! My wife cried when we found it. There was no way we could get or even buy an upgrade. a 9" TV on a pole stand, dresser built into the wall that was also the desk and everything else, a closet only deep enough for your hung up clothes and only a few things anyway, and bunk beds that you could not sit up on in the top bunk and hard as a rock. You could not get dressed at the same time and one would have to get into the bunk. Worst cruise of our ecperiance and I am including my 'cruises' in Uncle Sam's ships!
Jim
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Crooz,

I have never had to relate to a rat, but if the rat is happy, and the rat box floats on the ocean, and you are not in the box with the rat, then why do you care, if the rat is happy?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Hi Crooz,

As a "rat" who lives in a condo with a patio, I do feel comfortable in a cabin with a balcony on a ship I feel right at home.

Of course my condo doesn't offer someone else doing the cleaning, cooking, etc. No one waits on me .

My condo also doesn't offer the chance to go to new places and see new things. Nor does it offer bingo, art auctions, pool games (although there IS a pool) shows, bars, restaurants, etc.

Jim, I have a picture of my parents in a cabin like you described! They had to sit with their knees at an angle on the beds it was so tiny!

So I guess this "rat" is happy on a cruise (although I wouldn't mind an upgrade to a suite) ,

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Captain

Well, lots of folks live in condos with patios or balconies. In some parts of the country, that's what the average person can afford. My adult daughter is an attorney and lives is a condo with a balcony because hers is a high cost part of the country. Where I live, she could have had a 3000 sq. ft. house with a three car garage for the same price.

Because I live in a considerably lower cost area, we live in a house much bigger than this, but are perfectly happy with a cabin of, say 200 sq. ft. on a ship, and prefer a balcony too --- depending on the ship and itinerary. We are perfectly happy with this for a week or two, with all the ship's services and other features. Just no 66 sq. ft. "cells", please.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Crooz, there are condos downtown that go for 10 million bucks

banker
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Captain

Banker and all:

Yes, and have any of you priced a nice condo in the good part of Manhatten recently? It is scarey! But the condos I've seen in all parts of the country where they are popular (or necessary due to high housing costs) have been rather nice compared with cabins on the old ships. The cruise lines have simply been trying to offer all of us accomodations more like what we have at home, whether we live in a condo or a house. It is a "market driven" thing, as that's what the customers want.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker
Crooz, there are condos downtown that go for 10 million bucks

banker
Where I live you could buy a 1000 acre farm w/ nice house for that.
Oh, and nobody said Rats were smart!
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

hey, I'm not sure but I think we've been insulted

DOH !!!!!!

banker
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Is this a new thread or gripe CM Real Estate? Can I place ads for some properties I'm selling right now?

Rat free? Get back on track folks
Old October 28th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Captain

No, this thread should be about cruising, not real estate. But there is a bit of a connect here. I just read an article in our Sunday paper about how consumers now demand bigger and nicer homes and condos than in the past. Another article reported dificulties in remodeling a historic downtown hotel because the rooms were too small for todays market. Perhaps cruise ship consumers are, in the same manner, also demanding bigger accomodations with more features.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Good point actually Richard, I dont actually know who drives the cruise market delivery. It's like a what came first the chicken or the egg scenario.

Yes, the paying passenger has expectations, but if I had to choose I think the lines drive it on in a few counts.

Being bigger and better than their rival - move existing cruisers into a bigger contained environment, slightly more staff, much more passengers per crew count. More economical to run so a higher and quicker pay back on build from rooms let.

or

They give more variety to compete with land based vacations with their floating hotel. Increase cruising as a vacation ----That one is really taking off here in the UK as people are fed up with the Costa Del Whatever in Europe and being stuck on the beach.

People today also want more for their money and for them and their children more experience than they ever had growing up. We are a wealthy society, I spent my first 18 years going on vacation to regular places only 30 miles from my parent home! Cruising for us, in your dreams. But for a lot today all this is expecation and reality

But you just need that 1st 100k+ ton ship built, people see it and then start to compare facilities, options, space etc and the market moves again to suit.

So yes, your comparison was spot on.

Sorry just noticed something,,I've posted a thousand posts, cant have. I'm not that opionated, could someone check that please asyou have a computer error.
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Captain

And I also suspect that the number of cruisers who want to climb out of some closet-sized room and walk down some "grand staircase" in formal attire into some grand dining room is shrinking. I mean, we don't want a re-do of "The Titanic", do we? Rather, I suspect there is more emphasis with today's cruisers on their "private space", along with the lack of lines and crowds in public spaces. How many times have you read on this board "we were in a two hour line for dinner, and it was sure fun!"?

Rather, I suspect there is an underfilled demand among cruisers for SMALLER ships with BIGGER rooms/cabins/suites, with public rooms and facilities that are adequate, but not extravagant. After all, for many of us to get to the ship, we have had to go through several airports. The last thing we want is another line or crowd. And the first thing we want is a bit of space and privacy.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also love classic liners. My time on the Norway was one my fondest cruise memories and the time I spent with Captain Gangdahl listening to his stories was, to say the least, enchanting. However, I would never have wanted to have stayed in one of the "closets" that they called upper and lower berth cabins. I was fortunate enough to have stayed in an upper level suite and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have never known anyone who complained that their cabin was too large.

Richard, I believe you have a good point that there is a niche market that needs to be filled for smaller ships with larger cabins but I also feel that people want the mega ships with larger cabins. I believe this is one of Carnival's selling points. I am not a mega-ship fan but it seems the industry is proving that cruisers want it and the 100% + occupancy seems to prove their point.

David: The number of posts is correct: You are the most active poster on this forum.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Captain

On our cruise on the Norway, we had a very nice and large room on deck 11 (added in 1990) just a few steps down the hall from the pool deck. No balcony, but we didn't miss it under these circumstances, and we too enjoyed this cruise as kind of an historical experience.

The only problem I see with the mega ships is this. It seems that whether the ship carries 300 or 3000, there is only one way in and out at embarkation, the ports, and disembarkation. There is only one pursers/reception counter. There is only one shore excursion desk. While in a port on a smaller ship, I witnessed a line several blocks long just to re-embark on a mega ship. If mega ships would have a "mega number" of doors in and out, pursers/reception desks, and excursion desks, I'd say "great idea for a ship." Until then, pardon me if I take a pass.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

You know what, it comes back to stokes for folks.

Many love the BIG ship experience, I have too.

But I will never forget the little 24k ton ship I did my first two cruises on. Crap cabins, facilities etc compared to today. But I have to admit I keep in touch with more of those cruisers than I have with the big ship guys.

Too many people, like a shopping mall,,,and not the corner store where people talk and say hello.

Richard, I agree but the way the market is going. Going back to do that again would be at a premium, not sure how many of us could afford to go back.

Mike,,,it's all gone wrong. I was supposed to be the unruly child in the choir, not the conductor,,,,s%%t
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Babe, this is true to a degree and I think you are correct that they should have two places to leave the ship while in port, at least until the rush is over. That would be a good suggestion to post in the Cruiseline suggestions board!
I will say that the worst place we ever had getting off was standing in tight, hot, airless passageways on the Norway attempting to get on the tender. We stood there for almost a hour at one port.
Jim