Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Private Balconies & Verandahs...

Sorry guys, I know this is an odd gripe, but the private balconies and verandahs bother me. Now before I get started on why, please understand that I'm an ocean-liner purist; Normandie, Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Mary are among my favorites. As such, I simply cannot stand balconies!

Now I am all for privacy, depending on the situation. I've read the following idea before, but I think it fits here.... and it's that ships are primarily social events. You make friends, you talk, you meet with people for lunch or the daily activities. I think the private verandah--in addition to wasting space--sort of detracts from the charm of being able to run into people on the Promenade. Kind of makes me think that it defeats the purpose of a Promenade deck, because 75% of the cabins have balconies!

Sorry guys, just the point of view of a guy who loves true liners. I just have never been able to grasp what ya need a balcony for... you're really only in the room to sleep, shower, and change clothes. But if they have to be there, why not disguise them? Or better yet, how would you feel about having some tall windows in your room as opposed to the balcony?

Thanks for listening! I know this is a silly rant, but after seeing some other silly things posted here I thought, "Why not?"

Post Edited (09-05-05 08:29)
Old September 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Private Balconies & Verandahs...

We get a balcony because I am extremely claustrophobic - I need to be able to walk out immediately into the fresh air when I have an anxiety attack. Also - you obviously haven't seen me in my bathing suit - not for public viewing lol.

ttfn Jennifer
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Passenger

I'm very sorry to hear about your claustrophobia... phobias of any kind are very unpleasant.

What you say makes sense, but now, how would you feel about a "disguised" balcony?

Post Edited (09-05-05 08:12)
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Passenger

You seem rather narrow minded to think your preference is the only one that should be considered. Some people enjoy privacy more than others.

Old September 5th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Passenger

Ms. Hutcheson,

No, I'm not asking people to agree with me; I am, however, asking them to comment on this position and why they feel that way. My mind is able to be changed (quite easily, might I add) provided the proper facts and opinions are displayed. :-)

Admittedly, there are some situations simply requiring a balcony or verandah; Jennifer's case is one example. Even Normandie had the private balconies on her starboard side; however, they were unintrusive and, without looking at the deckplans, one wouldn't know they were there. Thus I presented this as a possible solution. Hiding the balconies could not only produce great views and privacy, but if done correctly, could provide a balcony that would be second to none when compared to the ships of today which just have deck upon deck of balconies.

I suppose my gripe is really not about the necessity of balconies, but the fact that the naval architects do almost nothing to try to hide them.

Sorry for not being quite clear enough!
-John

Post Edited (09-05-05 09:10)
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

John,

As a fellow ship lover, I wonder why you think that the balconies need to be hidden?

The ships of today are no match to the ships of yesterday. They used to long and sleek and proportional. The ships of today are not much more than floating hotels, even if you go back before the emergence of so many balconies they were littel more than slabs with a bow and stern attached.

Cheers,
Peter

Old September 5th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Passenger

Peter,

For me, it all comes down to aesthetics. There's just something charming about a finely shaped bow and stern that attracts me. It's kind of like comparing QE2 and Norway to a Vista class ship. And although the QE2 and Norway had balconies added in later years, it doesn't really have a big effect on their profiles.

These balconies.. I think, give the appearance of an apartment block if used in large quantities... Not too interesting at all... and personally, I have a feeling that the balconies are part of the reason ships are designed the way they are today, with such tall superstructures and very boxy figures. If they can be hidden and incorporated within the ship itself in an appropriate way, I think it could lead to something a little more pleasing to the eye. :-)

-John

Post Edited (09-05-05 09:38)
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Airline tickets to cruise $500

Shopping for cruise clothes $1000

Balcony cruise tickets $2000

Sitting on your "PRIVATE" balcony sipping your favorite drink with your special someone......

PRICELESS!!!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Love it. CA cruiser.
sea angel
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I could never NOT have a balcony/verandah. I understand the point being made regarding aesthetics, however, these ships are designed for holidays. On my holiday I enjoy meeting people and walking the promenade. I'll talk to anyone. What I enjoy most about the balcony is that I can escape from the noisy public areas whenever I want. I get a drink from the bar and disappear to my balcony not even thinking about aesthetics.
Old September 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Got it everyone, thanks for expressing your views. Fisch, you had a very compelling argument--I now see why the balcony is so popular. :-) Don't get me wrong, I think they're still ugly and I wish they could be disguised--but I understand why it's required by the passengers. :-)

Thanks again everyone,
John

Post Edited (09-05-05 14:09)
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM
paid4c4

I'll agree the large open decks to walk on or set in big comfortable recliners were certainly enjoyable. On the Soverign of the Seas I once met Red Buttons and we had a delightfull discussion about the making of the movie Longest Day and also about Harleys. I also understand that both the wife and I have demanding people/client oriented professional positions and there are times we just want to be left alone. Our own balcony is excellent for those time when two fingers of Chivas and a good book while sitting in my jogging pants is really nice. I guess that's why there is more than one ship and more than one way to cruise.
Bill
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:40 AM
First Mate

Some ships look good with their balconies. Royal Princess (now Artemis) comes to mind. And some are downright ugly, such as Celebrity's M-class ships. Those ships just look unfinished. All I really need is enough room outside on a balcony to sit and enjoy the scenery while I enjoy my coffee or an adult beverage. What I don't understand is why people spend so much time and energy trying to sort out which balcony has an extra 2 square feet of room.

Old September 7th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Now that I will have a balcony, does it have chairs and stuff on it, or is it just big enough to stand on? Conquest

Thanks

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM
sls

There will be at least 2 chairs and a table on Conquest balconies.
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Big Craig

Why have private bathrooms either then? Make them co-ed so you do not have to wait for the promenade deck to mingle, and gingle???
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Passenger

Aww, c'mon now, we're talking about two completely different things! A bathroom is a bare necessity, a private balcony, not so much!

Old September 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Grind, Grind whir, whir whir

Sorry I'm trying to talk over JohnEZ Nj winding some people up.

You did it again and reinvented yourself again troll boy. Why not go by the name of Prince?

Oh yeah the give away was your tag line. People like me who can remember those great ships as you portray,,,,,,,would never have the tag line you have.

Hows school?

Post Edited (09-08-05 14:29)
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

David, You are getting go at this troll stuff. Good job.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Passenger

"You did it again and reinvented yourself again troll boy. Why not go by the name of Prince?"

I beg your pardon sir?

Yes, you are fortunate enough to remember the ships. Unfortunately for me, I don't have that advantage. Nonetheless, they are my favorites, and I have read into their histories. I may be 15, but I wish to work with ships as an adult and I am confident that I know more about these ships than most people my age:

RMS Queen Mary. 1935-1967, John Brown Shipyard. Served during WWII, carried roundabout 15,000 troops on each voyage. Winston Churchill says the Queens may have shortened the war by a year. Stabilizers added in 50s, removed from Cunard fleet in 1967. Currently in Long Beach, CA as a hotel and convention center. Very popular Sunday brunch, though I hear she's not looking so well in her older age.

RMS Queen Elizabeth: 1946-1968, John Brown Shipyard. Also served during WWII, but was rushed into service. Made dash across Atlantic to dock with the Queen Mary and Normandie. Interiors were "colder" than Queen Mary's, due to late art deco. Stabilizers added in 50s, lido deck was added in late 60s, some interior redesign done (plastic flowers?!?!). Withdrawn from Cunard service, 1968. Travels to Port Everglades, Fl. but after months is closed due to fire hazard. Bought by C. Y. Tung to be transformed into Seawise University, burns, and capsizes in Hong Kong Harbor.

SS Normandie: 1935-1942, Chantiers de L'Atlantique. Wins Blue Ribband on maiden voyage. She's the first ship over 1,000 feet long, and over 70,000 (later 80,000) tons. Ironically, she very rarely (if ever) sailed full. Famous passengers include Cary Grant and Kitty Carlisle. Burns during WWII, with designer Vladimir Yourkevitch watcing on the pier. US Navy ignores his suggestions on how to save the ship. She ultimately capsizes. Eventually righted, but too costly to return to service, is scrapped in NJ.

And don't get me going on Titanic! Side note, I did a presentation on Cunard's older Queens last year.

Regarding the tag line... yes I know, I'm young. And yes, I know I never got to experience these ships... so perhaps it's wrong for me to say I'd like to "return to" an era (of shipbuilding, at least) that I never existed in. It is, however, one I would have liked to exist in. However since I haven't figured out the whole space-time continuum thing, I can't build a time machine to go back there (I'm kidding), although I find many things from the 50s and early 60s enjoyable; did I mention "Beyond the Sea" and "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin are my favorite songs?

Anyway, back on track now, I can hope that the idea of making ships look beautiful will catch on in the future.

Finally, I haven't started school yet. Construction has led to a delayed opening, and I don't return until Monday. Granted, I don't have a spring break, but I get out earlier than most of the parochial schools in the area.

Good evening,

Post Edited (09-08-05 18:07)
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:35 AM
LaurenB

Hi--just weighing in on another reason why I am about to enjoy a balcony cabin (just a week away on the Victory!)...we're taking our four year old son with us and probably won't do the babysitting option at night. Because we'll be retiring "early" and also because we're assuming our son might need some nap time mid-day to help him through the rest of the day, we liked the idea of being able to enjoy time on the balcony with the water, sun/moon, and fresh air, while our son snoozes.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

One thing John, Big Craig mention private bathrooms. Bathrooms are a bare necessity as you point out, but not "private" bathrooms.

All I know is that if you can get a balcony, go for it. I may not spend much time on it, or have any real practical purpose for it. But, I do like to wake up and look out and walk out there and look at a new port (even for 5 minutes before wifey starts yelling at me) oh! that reminds me, those doors are fairly heavy and you can' hear her yelling when the door is closed!

We just booked another 1 week cruise with another family and we booked a suite and they wanted the lowest inside cabin, when I asked them why they said because they only sleep in the cabin. I asked them if they have ever had a balcony or a suite and they said no. I asked him if he can afford it (which I know he can) and he said yes, then I proceeded to tell him to shut the f... up and I went ahead and booked 2 suites.

banker
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Ron & Jon

DECKS

PRO: Going through the Panama Canal where there wasn't three inches of rail space
on Promenade deck. This deck advantage applies to other sights; ports and
fjords.

CON: The neighbours uses their balcony to exercise their smoking habits and they're
up wind... YUK ! And do we really have to hear about his prostatectomy....
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Ron & Jon

(Correction)

BALCONIES

PRO: Going through the Panama Canal where there wasn't three inches of rail space
on Promenade deck. This balcony advantage applies to other sights; ports and
fjords.

CON: The neighbours uses their balcony to exercise their smoking habits and they're
up wind... YUK ! And do we really have to hear about his prostatectomy....
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Admiral

John, I love beautiful ships too. We have been on about 7 cruises with an outside oceanview stateroom and about 5 now with a verandah. From now on we will always go for the verandah if we can get it. Why? Because its just great, that's why. People want 'em that's why they have 'em. End of story. I liked 57 Chevys too, but I'm really glad I don't have to drive one now. All of the HAL ships have a verandah deck or two but they still look pretty good, (inside and out) by comparison to some of the others
Richard
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Beginner

We love having a balcony. We don't just change clothes and sleep in our cabin............we spend a lot of time relaxing there. We sit on the balcony .........don't need a big one..........and read, or watch the sea. Living in the desert as we do, we don't have a chance to view the sea very often. We enjoy socializing in the dining rooms, or wherever we meet a bunch of people, but we mostly cruise to be alone. Also, because I have a disability which causes me to use a mobility device, I am "disabled" on the ship, in the public areas, but just "me" in our cabin...........
Enjoy your cruise, no matter what kind of accomodations you have!
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Beginner

If you've ever been quarantined for 72hours with Norovirus you would never cruise without a balcony again! I think my husband would have thrown himself off the ship if he hadn't been able to sit in the sun and read while locked in. Unfortunately the captain wouldn't rotate the ship when the sun moved!
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM
First Mate

Default Another point of view

First, thank you Politically correct Police for advising the origianl poster taht he/she is narrow minded. SInce their point of view differs from yours, that qualifies as narrow minded. It was once called a differing opinion.

Secondly: Balconies are great, but they are not the be all and end all of a cruise.

Until they bring the production shows onto your balcony, the evening dancing entertainment, the comedians, etc,etc,etc onto your balcony....others will continue to enjoy the entire ship.

I, for one, have the jaded opinion that many folks book the ultra, super doper, whooper balcony so they can come on these boards and ask stupid quiestions like; "I have the ultimate cabin, with my own butler, slaves girls and peeled grapes...Will I like it?" DUH!

I have to agree with the origianl poster, the beauty of the passenger ship has disappeared. When you spot a ship on the horizon today it takes awhile to ascertain if it is a cargo ship or a pasenger ship..sadly, the great liners have disappeared.

Opps, taht is an opinion, guess I am narrow minded too!
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Admiral

I am a bit claustrophobic too. Found that out when we got an inside on our first cruise.

I love to wake up, have coffee on the balcony and get my eyes open before I go around the ship looking half beaten because I am not awake.

At night, a cocktail on that same balcony makes for a very romantic evening when you are not sharing the railing with 100 or more other people.

Naps...if you get tired, you go to your cabin, prop the balcony door open and take a siesta while listen to the ocean as it beats against the ship.

Going through the Panama Canal or Alaska. I don't want to stand at a railing like a sardine when I can enjoy the view from my balcony and not have elbows jabbed into me or a smoker blowing smoke my way. I am allergic to smoke and my balcony gives me the option of coming into port without the sneazing..........or going through the canal without elbows!

Balcony availability has only increased because of DEMAND. If no one demanded then supply wouldn't be needed. Granted, the sleek liners were great..........for their time. This is a new era and people want balconies. Maybe not everyone, but enough that the newer ships have more balconies available.

Hidden balcony? What's the point?
Old September 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to widespreadpanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEZ NJ
Sorry guys, I know this is an odd gripe, but the private balconies and verandahs bother me. Now before I get started on why, please understand that I'm an ocean-liner purist; Normandie, Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Mary are among my favorites. As such, I simply cannot stand balconies!

Now I am all for privacy, depending on the situation. I've read the following idea before, but I think it fits here.... and it's that ships are primarily social events. You make friends, you talk, you meet with people for lunch or the daily activities. I think the private verandah--in addition to wasting space--sort of detracts from the charm of being able to run into people on the Promenade. Kind of makes me think that it defeats the purpose of a Promenade deck, because 75% of the cabins have balconies!

Sorry guys, just the point of view of a guy who loves true liners. I just have never been able to grasp what ya need a balcony for... you're really only in the room to sleep, shower, and change clothes. But if they have to be there, why not disguise them? Or better yet, how would you feel about having some tall windows in your room as opposed to the balcony?

Thanks for listening! I know this is a silly rant, but after seeing some other silly things posted here I thought, "Why not?"

The reason I chose a balcony is that I need to see the sun when I wake up - it starts me out on the right foot. I can pop out of bed, go directly to the balcony & soak up some sun before I need to get dressed & leave the cabin. Itls also a romantic place to sit with your SO and enjoy some one-on-one time while you listen to the water or look at the stars.

I understand the Sun Princess was originally designed without balconies, but has been retrofitted, having the hull cut away to provide them. Looking at a picture of the ship, you can see that it is more similar in looks to the "older" ships than the newer ones built with balconies.

Post Edited (09-05-05 08:29)