CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   refund on cruise and flight in case of bad weather (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/296095-refund-cruise-flight-case-bad-weather.html)

san007 September 7th, 2005 10:31 AM

refund on cruise and flight in case of bad weather

I know I didn't purchase insurance but there has to be something they could do in case of hurricane or tropical storm w/o any cost to me. I cruise on CP in 1 1/2 week and I am afraid we're going in to bad weather.

CA Cruiser September 7th, 2005 10:56 AM

Re: refund on cruise and flight in case of bad weather

san,
Sorry but that's not how it works. You take a chance by booking during hurricane season but you can still purchase trip insurance and I highly recommend it. Go to insuremytrip.com and you can get quotes from many different companies. We use CSA and had to file a claim last year and they paid in a timely manner. Have a great cruise! We leave in 2 days!!

Texasmunk September 7th, 2005 07:36 PM

If the ship sails and you don't...nothing

If the flights go and you don't nothing

If the flights get altered, you may see a credit

If the flights alter and you miss the ship....without insurance....you get nothing

Sorry, insurance a very cheap investment

Kuki September 7th, 2005 08:20 PM

The only way the cruise line would do anything for you is if the port of embarkation is affected by a hurricane.

The ship will change itineraries to avoid having the ship near any hurricanes, so you may not stop at the ports you expect to.

As to insurance... they offer you insurance, or you can buy it privately. You chose not to, and now you want the cruise line to do be your insurance? By deciding to pass on insurance you really decided to self insure.

sblahars September 8th, 2005 08:27 AM

I think the original poster is just kind of annoyed because it shouldn't be a gamble to plan your vacation.

And also, I don't think it is appropriate to talk down to someone who doesn't buy insurance, because not everyone knows everything about the whole cruise experience, and may be new to it.

Darcy September 8th, 2005 09:53 AM

I was just on the Inspiration which departed Tampa on 8/25 and was supposed to return on 8/29. Well due to Hurricane Katrina we couldn't get back to Tampa so we had to go to Ft. Lauderdale. While Carnival did provide bus transporation back to Tampa, I called the airline (Song) and made arrangements to fly out of Ft. Lauderdale. I was not charged to change the tickets due to the hurricane. Some other that I spoke to did the same thing and they also were not charged. Those other airlines mentioned were JetBlue, Airtran and Delta. While they didn't have to make the change without charge I think they were very understanding of the circumstances.

Even with the hurricane in the gulf we really didn't have any bad weather. See my review on the Carnival board.

Kuki September 8th, 2005 10:03 AM

Author: sblahars (---.williams-int.com)
Date: 09-08-05 07:27

I think the original poster is just kind of annoyed because it shouldn't be a gamble to plan your vacation

Any vacation you plan is a gamble. You can plan a land vacation to a Caribbean island, and have a hurricane affect it, or you can plan a camping trip, and get rain the entire time. You can miss an airplane connection with a flat tire on your car. A family member can become ill and you have to cancel. All sorts of gambles involved.

With the costs involved travel insurance covers most of the risks.

And the original poster in this thread said they knew about the availablity of insurance, and chose not to purchase it.

When laying out significant dollars for any purchase it's up to the buyer to have some responsibility to know what they are buying.

sblahars September 8th, 2005 11:36 AM

I agree that any vacation is a gamble, however a cruise is so much more because you can back out of most hotels right up to the date you are to check in. Non-refundable airline tickets really are refundable with a penalty.

But a cruise is different than all of those, because you can recoup much of your losses (if not all sometimes) on many land based vacations. But you lose everything if it is a cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand why it has to be this way, but I think the cruiselines could show some understanding in some circumstances. I can't answer where to draw the line, but there is one somewhere.

Kuki September 8th, 2005 12:42 PM

The line is the availability of insurance at a relatively cheap cost. If there was no option for insurance, then I'd expect the cruise line to bear some of the responsibility.

Now, perhaps it would be a good idea for the cruise lines to add the cost of the insurance directly to the fares, and then no one would be taking a chance. But.. there'd always be one who would advertise a rate without insurance to make theirs appear to be cheaper.

DavidB September 8th, 2005 03:18 PM

There is a gamble and that is take Insurance or leave it.

If you dont want to spend the extra few bucks then YOU take the RISK on your own shoulders.

Pay for it and have the comfort of knowing all bases are covered if something goes wrong

What some are trying to do here is because they decided not to do it, is place blame on someone else. Sorry but that dont hold water, and please see the difference between service provider and personal responsibility?

Question: Do you see personal travel as different from personal health, teeth, death, whatever...if so why?

A good couple of posts there Kuki

sblahars September 8th, 2005 05:08 PM

Of course personal travel is different than personal health. Missing a flight/cruise/hotel is annoying, but not dangerous to your health. I don't think it is the same to say that it is just as equally irresponsible to not take care of your health, as it is to not buy travel insurance.

And again, not everyone even knows such a thing exists. I know that before my first cruise, I didn't know all the rules. And I didn't read all of the fine print either. It was my honeymoon and I was more concerned about lots of other things. I made it there and everything was fine, but I don't think it would have been irresponsible of me to not buy travel insurance because I didn't know such a thing existed. And not everyone researches every single aspect of ever vacation they go on, so you can't just say that you SHOULD know, because not everyone does.

Dorothy September 8th, 2005 10:02 PM

Well....I think it IS irresponsible to not research a trip. At the very least, I wouldn't want to hear someone complaining because they didn't as you say "read the fine print." I don't spend large amounts of money on ANYTHING without reading the fine print!

The original poster wasn't unaware, either. They stated they didn't *want* to buy insurance. Whole different scenario.

dorothy
and P.S. San007 - it's not too late to buy insurance!! :)

Post Edited (09-08-05 21:04)

sblahars September 8th, 2005 10:05 PM

But not everyone does research every aspect of a trip, cruise or not. Some do, some don't. Some are too busy to, or maybe some don't need to be so prepared, or maybe they just don't want to. But that still isn't the same as being irresponsible with your health.

DavidB September 9th, 2005 02:55 PM

Okay guys, maybe its a culture thing.

Here in the UK and imagine across Europe 99.9% of people take out vacation / travel insurance. It is what we do, it is also what our TA's recommend in case of problems on said vacation.

So this is not about reading fine print in ship contracts.

So we have some that take it to cover all bases, and others not aware it was an option available or even understand why they should take it.

Put it this way, I once met a couple from the states cruising in Europe, she took ill and had to go to hospital in Italy. They thought that their private health scheme covered them for it. It did not, it was only continental America coverage they had. So they got hit with a bill for over $2000 by the hospital and had to hit the card to pay.

If they had taken a world wide 14 day insurance policy costing around 60 - $100, then it was covered.

So I go back to what sblahars said "And again, not everyone even knows such a thing exists"

TA's should be making people aware when booking, that what they have at home does not always cover them outside of it, especially in foreign ports. So do you want insurance out with your current policies? Read your own policies for what you are covered you for, not the lines fine print and if some things are missing cover it. Basic, but true

Post Edited (09-09-05 17:40)

DocJohnB September 17th, 2005 11:23 AM

Only two ways to avoid the scenario.

Don't cruise in hurricane season.

Dont cruise in hurricane season.