Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Beginner

Default Vacationstogo inquiry

We're new to cruises and would like good or bad comments concerning dealings with Vacationstogo.com.
Thanks
Brad
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Sorry bud, cant help you re the supplier.

My only advice would be: Know what you want in advance re line, ship or itinery. Then look to the cost of achieving that vacation from the line.

Then look to individual suppliers to get the best price and that is not always from online TA's.

Start again with where you are based, what you would like to do re crusing and I'm sure the guys on here can come up with some recommendations to get you the best deal.
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Many thanks
Brad
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Used vacationstogo for a transatlantic and were very satisfied.
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Brad:

I have used them in the past and I had no problems with them at all.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Admiral

My sister has booked 2 cruises thru them and been very satisified.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Beginner

Default VTG

I used vacations to go for my most recent cruise. This was my 8th cruise... my TA wanted to overcharge me so I went elsewhere. I picked VTG because the offered a $50 ship credit. 2 weeks before I left I tried to email my TA to figure out how I got the credit. I had to email the web site and his manager and the CEO before I got an answer. The manager said everything was straightened out (in the second email - his first reply is that they were overwhelmed with katrina... this should have been taken care of before then). When I got on my cruise I checked TWICE with the purser for the credit which wasnt there. I emailed the TA while onboard and go no response... I started emailing the CEO and the Manager when I got home then got a reply and they mailed the check for the credit to me which I got. Things worked out in the end but I wasted alot of time sending emails to get thin gs taken care of. Oh and the best part???
I emailed the TA to get a price on my cruise I am taking in FEb and guess what??? He never emailed me back.... weird....
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I once booked a cruise through VTG. Had problems getting in touch with my rep. No email replies, no other person willing to help. I promptly cancelled with them and got much better service with my regular TA. I have learned from past experiences, that it is worth the extra $100-200 to have the peace of mind knowing that I can contact her or their 24hour VIP hotline that has access to my reservations.

Jodi
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Admiral

I have a subscription with them and use their site to find the cheaper cruises. Then I go to the cruiseline site and dicker with them. Yes, I said "dicker". How many know what that means?? Shows my age. Anyway, I get the cruise at the same price as VTG but, since I am a past guest, I get another discount from the cruiseline which makes the cruise cheaper than VTG.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Passenger

We have used VTG 2 times. First time we had no issues and was very easy. Second time when we found out we were dealing with a new person it was to late to change people. We had told her that we would fly out of Louisville Lexington or Cinncinatti and we were going to work that next day after coming home. She booked us on a flight that arrived home after midnight. Then arrived home 1.5 hours later to get up and go to work at 6:30. We tried to change the flight to Cinncinatti because there were open seats on a flight that would arrive at 5:00pm. She could not or would not change the tickets. I tired to change the tickets on my own with the crusie line but could not.

Beware of booking the flights through the cruise line. You cannot change the flight unless you go through the cruise line except on the day of travel. Spring break took care of the day of travel.
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Arrowhead:

Did the agent book an air deviation for you or even ask? If not, then that was definitely an error.

I almost always book my own air. Cruise agencies get nothing for booking air and aren't very good at it and cruise air is rarely a good deal so I'd rather do it myself and get what I need and want.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:44 AM
Passenger

After the first two times booking with vtg I have decided not to use anyone else until a problem crops up. I never have trouble getting in touch, every agent has given me their personal extension on then 800 number and if the agent is not available, i just ask the operator and she always finds me someone who can take care of any questions in one phone call. I truly recommend them.

PS I have used Resortstogo with similar results

Kathy
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Passenger

She did not even check the other airports. She booked the flights before we were able to reply and say no to the late night flight. Then it was a big hassle to do anything.
She told us one option was cancel our booking and rebook the cruise and flights.
Second option was change the flights only but Costa would charge us 50% of the ticket price to change the flight. I asked the Costa rep. about that and he said that was not true but now there were no flights available to the other city. On line it was showing empty seats on the flights from FLL to CVG. I learned the hard way to always book our on flights.
You cannot change the flights on the same day at the airport to a different city either. I did find this out.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Passenger

We used VTG for our cruise last month and had zero problems with them. I spoke to the rep three different times, checking different ships and cabins, and she was great all the way through.

We travel a lot, and I used to be the travel person for a big corporation, so I feel very comfortable researching and making my own travel decisions. If we were less experienced, I don't think we would have gone with VTG.

BTW - we have a credit card with a brokerage house, and they now offer full cruise booking services, including guaranteeing the lowest price. We will probably use this option for our next cruise.