Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Sorry it's terrible

I'm all for change and choice. But this latest offering from Stelios is beyond belief http://www.easycruise.com

It is cheap, nasty and does nothing for the world of cruising.

They are running a "fly on the wall" series on TV here in the UK regarding its launch and what it offers and I cannot believe what I am seeing.

I just hope it does not give a false impression to "newbies" regarding cruising. A tarted up old "ferry" running around the Med as a 'liner'. and coming soon to the Caribbean

Have a look at the Our Ships,,, Photo Gallery

Dear oh dear, that hot tub is the pool, and models or what!
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

David:

This doesn't look like the "bargain" they are touting it to be. I just did an initial pricing and for a seven day roudtrip Barbados cruise it would be $864 for two people in an inside cabin. i had a college dorm room that was much nicer. I went to a bad college.

This is $432 per person. This does not include meals, entertainment and the facilities on the ship are "lacking", to put it lightly. I could do that on a Carnival special. I thought the fares would be at least half that amount for what you are receiving and you still pay for your drinks.

I can't wait to those of us on this side of the pond see the "fly on the wall" series.

Thanks for the heads up.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Quote:
(I would like to see virgin cruise lines, with his out of the box and often futuristic thinking)
banker
Richard Branson did announce last week that he is looking for a partner to start offering cruises in the Florida or Caribbean area. But presumably it won't be Stelios, because he says he wants to target the upscale market.
Old October 7th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Passenger

I've also been watching the fly on the wall series and can't believe anyone would want to go on an orange boat!!

I'm sure there are people in Stelios' home town of Monaco that are disgusted at the type of people he's bringing into the place - the "party" crowd that just want to get drunk.

The problem with the Caribbean route is that proper cruise ships visit during the day and entertain their passengers on ship at night. Not so with easycruise, so there will be lots of young "party" people looking for a good time on the islands at night.

It will be interesting to see if it succeeds.
Old October 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Passenger

I did a check for an April week in the caribbean and it was only $250.00 for an inside double cabin for the week.

I have a feeling this ship is going to be full of young college aged kids looking for a party and gettng drunk.

Yeah, and good luck finding a deck chair. What, was there like maybe 20 max?
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Diana, good point(s). I was breaking them in slowly

But this is taking cruising to a depth that even in my limited vocabularly. I find difficult to describe.

Diana, makes some great points, especially after the rest us set sail and have left port.....A potential nightmare, those "cruisers" still there.

Cheap scum, male or female from either side of the pond... Why did he not just call it EasyScum?
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Captain

I see potentially dangerous conditions for young adults in unsupervised surroundings. The islands are nice to visit during the day but at least the young, college-age people who travel on Carnival, etc have to be back on the boat at night. Exactly what many of these young people will find attractive about EasyCruise.
K
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Admiral

David - such language - that "tarted up old ferry" hit kind of close to home :o)

Can you imagine what the "public" facilities (all two of them) are going to look like after a few days on this one - makes the Superdome New Orleans look like the Ritz!!! Yuk!!!

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Admiral

sailinggal, that's what I was thinking also. That type of cruise is condusive to a lot of young people behaviour (not to stereotype or offend young people). Along with that, comes serious trouble out at sea, and liability issues etc.

banker
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Captain

I think American youth won't be able to keep things cool. They aren't used to alcohol being given out to them like they are adults. The Europeans are taught to drink small amounts of alcohol and don't binge drink. Look at the people who come back from ports in wheel chairs and "moitered". The ones I see look like they are about 18 years old.

They sure do make Easycruise look great in the pictures though.
K
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Passenger

I hate to stray off topic, but the comment about American youth being the source of trouble with alcohol is slightly offensive. Not that it isnt' true, mind you, but there are just as many problems with "young people" in the UK and Europe. I guess the carload of drunken teens we saw at 9 AM on Sunday morning in Dublin were Americans? And those lovely football riots, all those people are sober?

I'll give the people on the other side of the pond credit, though, at least they talk about, not try to sweep it under the rugs with Public Service Announcements.

Back to topic: "Tarted up old ferry" is being kind.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Cruisin - certainly I wasn't trying to suggest Americans would be the sole source of any problems. Unfortunately those of us in the UK are more than aware of the totally offensive behaviour from some of our "youth" (not always quite so young!). So much so, that I am sometimes embarrassed to be English
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Diana, well said. Most of the time when we are away surrounded by your usual Brits , we feel embarrassed. All they want to do is get drunk, eat fastfood, wear football regalia, walk around with burnt flesh covering up their tatoos and do it all in the sun and they are happy.

and also, many of these so termed 'ugly brits' are heading for Carnival ships now so even more reason to say off them.

As for Easycruise, good viewing but certainly NEVER for me, thanks.

Kind regards,
KG
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Captain

Hi,
Well, I never noticed the ugly Brits on cruise ships. I must be too busy joining them. hahaha But , seriously, I was thinking of people in the Med areas when I spoke of the young people who are less apt to binge drink. Specifically, the Italians. Isn't that where the EasyCruise sails to at this time? I don't know what it is like to be a young person in Britain. It sounds like there is an abuse of alcohol just like the US.
KimmieGirl,
If I was British, I would find your comment about the "usual Brits" that are vacationing to be offensive. Why would you talk about your fellow countrymen in such a manner?
Karen
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Admiral

I vote to give this a chance !!!after one season we will see if it works or not
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Captain

Venice,
You have a nice response. We shall see how things go. Hopefully, it will attract the adventurous of all ages. I can think of people who would like a low key, unglamorous cruise and they are not classless people either.
K
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Sailingal - coule they be after Carnival Cruisers lol - I love Carnival. Just did a Princess and was quite bored. This company looks like they are really aiming at the younger crowd - there is a niche market out there. I hope it works out for them - it's quite a gamble.

TTFN Jennifer
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Venice, believe me, this looks like the "party line" on steriods, but without the facilities.

But hey, if it rocks your boat,,,its fine with me
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Think I'll pass .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

For the record - I have been writing up a report on EasyCruise for a panel I am going to be on for the Caribbena Tourism Organization. And it is important to remember that the way STELIOS works is to start out charging a very low price and then raiese the price as the product fills up. It is possible to get cabins for two on the boat (ship is a questionable word) for about $31/cabin that sleeps two pere night.
Yes, nothing is included, but that is DARN cheap!!!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Excellent, Paul!

Thats my $60 per night as apposed to the cheapest normal cruise of at least $230 per night share twin.

The boat's? that he uses would be great as a private yaughts?
Maybe he should run a cruise line named "Easycruise Plus" lol.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Admiral

30 bucks a night??? Wow, you can't even get a "mass murderer on the run motel room" for that much!

You gotta wonder who will be attracted to that type of product. As someone said earlier, lets see what happens....

banker
Old October 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
Yeoman

Kinda reminds you of Hooters huh? Their airplane is the same paint style!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Could be the perfect venue for our "Cruise Gripers" cruise - we wouldn't have to worry about offending anyon'es sensibilities - no one would have any

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Good ones Hazelson and Paul...let us not forget that when Southwest started out in the 70's, the traditional airlines and most flyers said that concept will never work..and don't forget about Federal Express hubbing thru Memphis (why would you fly a package from the SFO to MEM to go back to LAX ?)...you have to give people like him credit for seeing an "opening" in the market place and trying to exploit (or capitialize depending on how one looks at it) on it to make a profit and introduce the next generation to cruising...and I have to think that behind the scenes the "legacy cruise lines" are watching this effort very closely and will respond with a product line of their own to match it, if there is even a sign of success...if the industry does not evolve it will die, hence my point (and as my mother always says), don't knock it until you try it..I'm quite sure some features will wind up in the legacy cruise product
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Admiral

I would love to be able to travel to Australia via ship?

I feel there is far to much air travel between countries these days and I would love to travel to europe in the old fashioned way???

Can't wait until "Stelios" starts his "Round The World" ferry service. lol

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Admiral

your points are valid venice, and there may be a market for this product. We'll see if it "flies".

However, I don't think this is the "next generation" of cruising. I think the southwest example is inaccurate also. Flying is a means of transportation and there was a need in the marketplace for the southwest model. Cruising is strictly a leisure product and I don't think the analogy applies. People do not get on a cruise to get from point A to B.

thanks
banker
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Captain

Hey Jen,
I'd be the Carnival type too. Not ready for the Princess thing yet. I like lots of fun. Now if I was 25 years old again, I would go for it on the Easycruise.
I was picturing the backpaking baby boomers as maybe trying out Easycruise. Well, I have a lot of them around here. People who are stuck in the sixties with tie dyed shirts and they did organic before it started becoming popular. People who have money like artsy types.
Anyway, I would try Easycruise if I felt it had a cross section of ages and I was safe on it. I would do it in addition to a regular cruise.
I met a couple who seemed like they have money on a Carnival ship out of NYC. Picture the Howells on Gilligan's Island. He describd a ship like Easycruise and how he would like to do a cruise like that. His wife just looked at him like he was crazy.
There are alot of cheap people out there.
K
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Had a chance to finish my Stelios presentation for the Caribbean Tourism Organization. Very interesting fellow actually, and he has created many businesses in travel - easyJet, easyCar (rental) easyHotel, easyBus and now easyCruise.

Keep in mind though, that he comes from a Greek shipping family. He grew up around ships, and this is his first (self-started) ship-related business. He usually starts small but builds through acquisition. EasyCruise in Europe goes to land-locked ports, but in the Caribbean it is all small Southern Caribbean Islands - easy to reach by cheap European airfare.

However, if je moved it closer to the traditional Caribbean cruise ports, such as Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin, etc, then he would get more US cruisers, and could very well make this a real deal.

By the way, I found fares as high as $108 per room per night. The suite is $1008/week (sleeps 2).

Oddly, the ship sails at about 6:00 AM and lands at 10:00 am. Made for late-night partying. But can you party that late on Grenada? I don't think so.
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Thanks Paul. To your Grenada point, if you build bars, they will come. Or the other way around, if they come to party, they will build the bars.

I can't see myself ever being on this type of cruise, but I'm sure they've done their research and there will be a market for it.

banker