Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Hello..I'm talking to you, yes you

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dave,
I agree, it totally amazed me when I saw the numbers.....Come on out posters, lets hear what your opinions/concerns or comments are, we're friendly

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM
First Mate

You talkin to me?

YOU talking to ME?

YOU can't be talking to me!

But you are so right, seems the folks have gotten listless lately. No one up for a conversation on whether wearing a diaper in the pool is acceptable as long as its " #(#*$ cruise" and I'll do what I want or
"ain't nothing wrong with my bib overalls on formal night" or "this whole section of the theatre is saved"

It is slow, very slow these days
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Passenger

as a mostly lurker i can tell you this msg board does not strike me as particularly friendly. not the worst either but if i had to define it in one word it would be "cliquish".
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Passenger

It sure doesn't strike me that way! Yep, I agree that there are a core of folks who seem to know each other quite well and post very often...but they sure seem to me to be welcoming if you (the universal "you") just jump in. It's what I like best about this board!
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Anni.. I think you are right! The fact is most of the people who seem to so "tight" have never met, and MANY haven't even been posting here very long.

The appearance of "clique" is actually because everyone is so darn friendly, it can seem as though they've known each other forever.

Just like in "real life" if you post (talk) and act friendly then you get friendly back. If your post(talk) is distant or demanding people tend to back off.

On ALL web sites, the numbers of people who come and read for research and information FAR outnumber those who post. Somewhat the "nature of the beast".

The number of visitors to the CruiseMates site FAR EXCEEDS the number of registered users, and often those people actually spend more time on the site, reading feature articles and reviews from the home page, than they do on the message boards. We'd love for them to all register, and participate more, and we encourage them to do so!!

As far as the Gripes folder in particular... I do think many people tend to avoid them entirely because it's not alot different from the reaction you'd have when hearing people whine and complain on a ship (or any public place for that matter)... you tend to walk (or run) away.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Admiral

I still think you should discount at least 60% of the "views" as people who post check their own post out afterwards and view again everytime they see there are new replys.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think it is funny because you can see we have had about 6000 new posts in the last month, but it doesn't seem like it...
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Possible reason: The board is NOT retaining my log in in spite of ALL previous requests to do so and it is a PAIN to have to do it repeatedly.

Personal reason: While I am a very seasoned cruiser w/ 10 over 35 years I only visit this board 1-2x/week. I work FT, have an elderly Dad (87), a new grandchild, a DD who got married last month and an 11 room house to keep clean. That, of course is in addition to [planning my Nove cruise and spring land trip, grocery shopping, meal prepping, doing laundry and paying my bills.

Therefore, by the time I see a topic someone else has generally posted my opinion/advice.
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Captain

Hi,
I also think it appears "cliquish" but it doesn't stop me from posting. It's like walking in a room of people. You will find some friendlier than others. I think it's interesting because there are so many intelligent people who write on these boards. There is much to be learned here. Even the griping is often done in a rational way and it is like watching a good debate. I never have posted on any other boards before so if I can get up the nerve than anyone can.
K
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I admit it I'm a lurker I like this site alot, and I booked my 2nd cruise in may..I have been so busy with my mom.. she has cancer she has liver lung and bone cancer, she moved in with us last june and I have been taking care of her full time.. and trust me it is a full time job.. she is so weak, that i do everything for her now, change her and turn her ect. ect. you get the picture..and when i do come here she just gives me enough time to look at a few post and get ideals.. on where to go on destinations and what to do on the ship, I have learned alot from you guys. and I want to thank you for all the info, and the smilie i get reading your post..I'll try not to lurk so much and say hello every now and then
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Admiral

I hope that no one gets the idea that it isn't cool to look. It was a bit scary at first once I found out how many were on here, but it doesn't bother me that someone only looks. I would hope that if you see something, and have an idea, or different thought, you would express it.
the board has changed in the last couple of weeks, and we are trying to regain what we had, as far as the feel of things. To be called cliquish is a bit much, but it is a group of people who love to cruise. We have also, along the way found some common interests. So if you want to look, that's great. If you have something to say, say it.
Tami, my heart goes out to you and your mom. Take care of yourself. See, Tami and I don't know each other, but it doesn't stop me from saying something I feel. The boards are as good as we make them. Without us, there wouldn't be a need of a board.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 9th, 2005, 07:37 PM
First Mate

It may SEEM cliquish, but it is NOT!!!

There are a few folks that post frequently...and with great humor! Much of the griping is intended as fun. Some of it is jaded....heck, I am one of those that believes those not dressed on Formal night need to be:
A) Flogged
B) Drawn and Quartered
C) Keelhauled
D) all of the above

But that does not stop me from posting.

You are an instant member of the clique whenever you post...SO, please, join in!!!!
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Admiral

I agree with Luanne. When I first came to this site I lurked for about a month, just trying to get the "feel" of things. I learned a lot about the people who often post on "Cruise Gripes", (one of my favorites), mainly several people's (you know who you are )sense of humor. Don't take all that's said on that board too seriously

I also found that the "clique" on "Chit Chat" wasn't a clique at all. People do know each other, but mostly not in person. After watching how much everyone cares about each other, I was hooked .

Again, as Luanne said, I don't know you, Tami, but I've been through a similar experience and my thoughts and prayers are coming to you and your Mother.

(Luanne, I don't know what "color" you posted in, but I can just barely read it . Please switch to a bolder color for us "oldies" )

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Fern,

I'm sorry about the color. I hit the wrong thing.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Captain

I have to admit that I look more than post right now. I am new to the boards, but have learned a lot so far. My DW and I will go on our second cruise this Feb. ...........I can't wait....Anyone for some Insperation in February.

John 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

went on the inspiration in aug. and loved it, we booked the same ship in may..
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Passenger

o.k. here is my gripe. Why can't they double the size of the rooms and cut the price in half. It would make the cruise so much more worth it!!!
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Default responses

i like to come and read some of the answers to people questions, now sometimes i want to ask questions, but after reading some of the answers to people questions it makes me shy away from asking. i'm not saying that i haven't asked any questions, i have, but it just makes me not want to ask any at all. i only do so if i really have too.
Old October 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Tinna, Why do you change your mind about posting? Just wondering.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Passenger

some people answers are attacking, or they answer you like you are totally stupid, so that is why i don't bother with asking, i just hope someone will ask the question that i want to ask.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Ask your question Tinna I don't remember anyone answering that way. I was a newbie a couple of months ago, and these people put down their foo foo drinks, and helped me get through it. For one thing, I noticed we are in the gripes section. Have you tried the chit chat or Cruiseline section? This section is for playing, and I do mean play. Go to the other section and ask. You will get very professional answers, or e-mail me.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 10th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Tinna, Luanne is quite correct. If you have a question, find a more appropriate forum to ask it. Chit Chat is a good place to start.

To post on the Gripes board you need to have a semi "thick skin".
The initial posters for example are not in a happy mood when they post and there are a few posters to have a wicked sense of humour and I hope I am one of them.

deppong, I suggest that you start a new thread for your "gripe".

Irish, I love your avatar, nice!!!!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Passenger

to: lambord and luanne, the original post was about the same people replying to people post and others not saying anything, i do reply to people post (nicely), all i was giving was my feeling on it, and that might why people don't reply. because if you give an opinion it will get attacked.
like right now, you both are proving my point.

i never posted a question on this forum, i was just responding to the post,
i answered why i don't like to post and the next person comes on with what i need to do instead of excepting my answer. this is what i was talking about. well, now the original poster know why people just look and not respone. i want everyone to have a good day.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Tinna, You have lost me.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Luanne - it's very clear to me - Tinna didn't want to post because she thought she would not get the response she wanted - so she posted anyway - not really asking anything and did not get the response she wanted - which would have been nothing because she didn't ask a question. She posted about not posting and got answers about posting instead! Time for my nap lol.

Tinna - Bottom line if you want a serious answer - post something in those section you want the answer from - if you post in gripes you will get griped at. That's why I like gripes the best - it's mostly and fun and tongue in cheek.

Overall the rest of the forums are extrememly informative and there will always be someone to answer your questions or give the advice you are looking for.

In the above posts both Luanne and Lombard were trying to help - they are very nice people - unlike myself and few others who shall remain namelesss (like the OP lol).

It's all in fun - but many of the gripes are actually legitimitate - so informative after all.

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Thank you all, from those that live and post here (regulars), to those that took the time to post that first post and give an explanation.

This can appear a hard in your face environment, but it's only opinion.

Never ever be scared or intimidated to give yours.

I took a few days out before replying to gauge response.

Tinna, your quote "i answered why i don't like to post and the next person comes on with what i need to do instead of excepting my answer"

I hear where you are coming from, but no matter someone else's opinion always have and give your own version, and sorry not everyone will always have a nice day and I too wish they could.

As for Newbies, at some point we all were, put a toe in the water and see how you get on.

Its only opinion! Hey I've had the crap kicked out of me, I've given it back to a few as well, but this is not a clique. By posting you just get to know individuals and how to deal with them,,,,,,,its like life.

I aint in anyones clique, even Bankers, just look at the number of times we have fallen out re subjects!

Get in there folks
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Liam, Did you read that? We have Jennifer believing we are nice!!!
Thanks Jennifer, I was trying to help. I'm not suppose to be in gripes. I get hurt here, but you know how it is, everyone is attracted to danger.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 11th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

David, I disagree with you about us falling out on subjects. I think we agree on everything, event the things we disagree on......so there!!

banker