Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Default I dont want to look

So how many cruisers have hit the other boards on CM asking questions like " can we still dock in Cancun" or the likes. Will I get compensation for this port being wipped out, etc

I really dont want to look. I just wish they would wake up and smell the reality the people who post such questions, appearing to ignore the natural disaster that has hit these ports, countries and people.

Are they so shallow they miss that?
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I know that would be my first question - NOT!

Let's do a body count first. I love Cozumel - it is one of the prettiest places I have ever been - the caribbean will definately lose a gem if that town can't fight back.

Having been to Belize - I can't even imagine any of those buildings surviving a good stiff wind - let alone a hurricane.

If anyone knows what we can do to help that area out - please let me know.

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Perhaps self-centered might describe them.

Me, I wouldn't bother booking the Caribbean during hurricane season. Not that it would frighten me, but why play these peek-a-boo games if it's not necessary? And if there were to be a diversion, or a missed port, or a substitution, or whatever, I just wouldn't want to listen to 2000 people moan and groan about it.

I think after the intensity of this hurricane season, there might be some difficulty filling all the available berths on those runs next August through October, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some really amazing last-minute deals if anybody wants to roll the dice.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Admiral

Well, it's sad to say I have alittle "first hand" experience with this phenomenon living here in New Orleans..We are starting to get out of town folks who have a morbid curiousity about coming to our city to see the devasation and destruction and take lots of pictures of people's homes destroyed while the home owners are there trying to gather their little if any life remains.

I guess it's the same thinking of people who rubber neck when there is a major car wreck that might included someone being killed.

I think it falls into the "thank God it wasn't my town being hit by a cat 5 hurricane. We are scheduled to go to Cozumel the week of 11/13 out of Galveston on the Conquest...trust me the LAST thing I want to see is destruction from a hurricane..I scheduled this cruise to escape the destruction in New Orleans, plus I'm lucky, this is a smooth jazz cruise and people paid a premium for the music, not the ports although I'm sure my friends will try to jump start the local economy by buying everything in sight

I've come to the conclusion that left to our own devices, people are strange
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Captain

A good rule is to never book a Caribbean (or even an eastern Canadian) cruise in the fall, because of the possibility of hurricanes. Out of ignorance, we booked the RCI Spendour of the Seas (SOS) in Sept. '99 out of Boston and north up the Canadian coast. Hurricane Floyd had the same itinerary at the same time! It was hitting Boston on embarkation day, with a projected route the same as ours. There were a good number of other ships in the Boston port with about the same itineraries. All but the SOS and the Carnival (Triumph, I believe) canceled and refunded and sent guests home. But the SOS and Carnival departed, albeit about six hours late. My guess is the Captains were arguing with the home offices and urging canclation, and lost to "the suits." The first day, the Carnival ship was hit broadside by a large wave and listed over far enough to do some damage and cause some injuries. The Carnival ship returned to Boston, refunded, and sent everybody home. But the SOS plowed on, missing about half of the ports and navigating waters so rough that only war would justify it. After it was al over RCI gave no credits or refunds to anybody. Of course, RCI has no responsibilty for the existance of a hurricane ---- only for the stupid decission to sail out into the middle of one.

Here's hoping that all cruises scheduled for the Yucatan and far western Caribbean either cancel or change itineraries to stay out of the hurricanes.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

You know, there a lot of good understanding people out there that will go with the flow, hopefully that number will grow
Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Passenger

We booked a cruise for Dec because we want to get out of the snow before everyone else wants to get out of the snow. And, we got married in Dec, so, getting away for our anniversary is another nice thought.

When people ask what ports we're stopping at, I tell them to ask after hurricane season. We were booked on the Conquest; changed it to Glory right after Katrina hit because we were leaving on a land vacation just a few days later and didn't want to worry about the cruise while we were away from home.

I don't really care what ports we hit. Whatever white stuff is on the ground in the Caribbean will be warmer than the white stuff on the ground in upstate NY!

A side point...... We're trying to plan a land timeshare vacation for Jan 07. We're leaning towards Hawaii because I don't want to go thru the "what if a hurricane hits" headache this Nov and next summer/fall.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Captain

Of course, we all know that our contract with the lines allows the line to change the itinerary for a variety of reasons. And a hurricane is a situation where the line not only can but SHOULD change the itinerary. And the fact that a hurricane has made an intended port a disaster area is another reason like this. As I posted above, we were on a cruise that went ahead with the scheduled itinerary right in the middle of a hurricane. We' would much rather have had them change it, as anybody will tell you who has ever cruised through one.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Yeoman

I don't think this has anything to do with the topic, but if the Conquest changes Ports, then Darn! I'll just go get a drink! I am cruising, to just cruise. Don't care much about the ports, not important. I have traveled so many places it gets to be the same ol' same ol', pretty sad, i know.

I chose the Conquest only because it leaves out of my State, and is a 4 hour drive to the port of galveston, and also, my friends are going.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Captain

We were once on a cruise where a port strike forced a deletion of St. Lucia and a substitution of Martinique. Oh, yeah, there were gripers, but we just went with the flow. After all, we had never been to either place at that time, so we had nothing we knew of to gripe about! Martinique proved to be a delightful port. On a later cruise, we did make it to St. Lucia, and frankly wished we were back on Martinique! So not all itinerary changes are bad.

Thanks,
Richard