Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Default We dont have cute bunnies, so cut back to another place

Been reading till I'm nearly sick on CM. I now understand who gives the count on some views and not the reaction. Scary people that live in a world of "hello to you" everyday and following the Yellow Brick Road.

Long may this little corner survive, its the only place you get HONEST post and people willing to give and people willing to reply based on it.

Most of the rest is brain dumps or so personal like "look at my new grandchild", etc etc that you want to say, happy for you, but get a life and give advice to cruisers, especially the newbies re ports and destinations.

Being a CM does not always mean we want to hear about you, and how great your life is,,,,,,not aimed at gripes people. But some of the posters elsewhere want to wake up.

Or will we be fighting against, Good morning to you, good morning back, and back to you as how to advise on cruising? Bet they all read and dump out as they cant justify a response for why they only do that.
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Grumpy this morning, aren't we? <G> One of the nice things about CM is that many people seem to have found a home and close friends here and yes they wish to share some 'homey things' with each other. I personally just skip over most of it as I am looking to advise others and of course keep the boards somewhat reasonable for all. It doesn't really bother me if someone wants to shout at how great it feels to become a grandparent or that their husband or wife has recovered from a serious problem as people being people like to share and feel praise and support from others. So long as it is kept to the Chit-Chat board, that is what it was developed for.
Jim
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Honestly, there are a lot of people here that I find fascinating, and I enjoy getting to know them better. There are also a few that I find to be very self involved and narcissistic and are just plain miserable. So with that being said, I am interested in my online friends "brain dumps" and I trust that they are interested in mine. I think that is what makes up a lot of our "online community". Take Lombard for example, even though he lives on the opposite side of the earth from me, he and I both work in the same industry, and we have spent time chit chatting and venting about those things we both have in common on the work front. My d/h and I actually met online about 10 years ago, and even though back then some of our online friends may have thought our conversations to be drivel, it developed in to a wonderful relationship. There are alot of other cruise boards out there that lack the "human element" we have here and stick just to the business of cruising, and while I find them to be useful, I don't feel that I know the people there at all like I know some of my Cruisemates.
I think if someone wants to stick mainly just to posts that apply to cruising they can avoid the chit chat board and will find that for the most part its pretty much strictly business, although there may be a few exceptions.
Its our humanity that makes us human.
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I happen to love posting and reading on the chit-chat board. I have come to make many dear friends on that board and I feel I know them without ever have meeting them. I have gotten great advice, a shoulder to cry on, a place to vent and even alot of laughs from my CM family. I thought that was what the chit-chat board was for. If people don't like to read what is on the chit-chat board and what is going on in peoples lives, then don't visit it.

This is what Cruisemates describes the chit-chat board as---

Quote:
Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for what's on your mind. Feel free to say it here.

I try to avoid posting on the gripes board because it ends up being a name-calling, who's right, who's wrong, cat-fight. But after reading about your complaint that involved the chit-chat board, I had to post.
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Captain

Well, one thing I like about this forum is that it has given me an education. I have learned that not all like the same things in a cruise that I like. And these folks have valid reasons to back up their tastes. It's been a broadening experience.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Soooo, whats your cruise gripe?

Your concerned about newbies coming to learn about ports and cruise info and they run into people being nice? On a board that it was intended for people to get to know each other better. People that either have already or will be soon cruising together. Please! Is that worst then newbies gathering info on a potential problem with their ship/cruise and they run into this? This thread here belongs over there because you are speaking whats on your mind and not about a cruise related gripe.

Honestly people "do not talk to the man behind the curtain".

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 30th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Okay, you two jumped out of "limbo"and onto earth. Thats what they call it, that sort of inbetween place

Beenie and Nolou, if I am wrong in some aspects of CM becoming a paid for "hello" site for a lot of people, tell me.

To back up your point up, what advice posts do you to give advice to new or old cruisers?

Show me the links,,,simple question

Tbug, get a grip, tried to explain this to you, enough
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Hi DavidB,

Just do a keyword search for "Fern" and you'll find that besides Chit Chat and Gripes I DO give opinions and advice, to both new and experienced cruisers. I like to think that I can provide people with some help from my experiences.

I've also made very good friends with a couple who are going on our next cruise. We're all looking forward to meeting each other, along with other CM's (and a few from the "other" site) on our cruise.

I like having "online" friends (even you ), as well as friends here at home .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Personal attacks will not be allowed. Lets stop the complaining about people. Often one needs to look at themselves before talking about others. Let's just let it lie, okay.
Jim
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Admiral

HUH?

Quote:
To back up your point up, what advice posts do you to give advice to new or old cruisers?
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Admiral

David, just click on my screen name to the left and select find all posts and you will see that while I do enjoy socializing here at Cruisemates and I do hold an active interest in sharing the ups and downs in my friend's lives, I would like to think that I have shared a good deal of my limited knowledge on cruising (I counted over a dozen posts regarding cruising advice in the past couple of weeks) and learned quite a bit here too. Really I am quite intrigued by this thread that you started though, so what exactly has your contribution to this website been? I generally regard your posts as occasionally entertaining, but generally it seems as though their intent is to provoke and draw a certain reaction out of people, frequently negative. I have found very little in the way of giving or receiving cruising advice.
Over the next few weeks I will meet a couple dozen cruisers that I have met online, I am sure my cruising experience will be richer because of the relationships that I have developed online. So I am sorry if you regard this type of banter as frivolous drivel and somewhat Utopian. But hey life is too short to go through it all alone.
By the way, when do you cruise next or when did you cruise last? I can't remember the last time I've seen a post about your own cruise experiences, or aspirations to cruise. Please do share your wealth of knowledge.
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:55 PM
Admiral

David dear....

There are other areas on the CM boards besides gripes and chit chat, you know. Yes, chit-chat might not be your cup of Tequila, but what about packing advise, cuisine, first time cruisers, and all the other boards?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:40 PM
Captain

Hey I like that- I mean the part about it being a paid for "Hello" spot. So we are getting our money back in a round about way from the conglomerates like(well, you know who I mean).

Isn't variety good? A dibble here and a dabble there to keep the soul balanced. I wouldn't have kept coming back to this site if it weren't for the personal feel balanced with some intelligent banter on the gripes board. When I have a cruise question, heck, a question on any issue, I bring it to chit chat. People love to answer if they know it and there seems to always be someone with the answer.
I notice a drop off of names after the mandatory sign in. Wasn't there a Peter from Britain with lots to say?
The height of the cruising season is coming up, David. Will that mean an increase in gripers?
K
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Bunnies.... perhaps not, but some funny/cute avatars, even on the gripes board
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also enjoy many aspects of this website..notonly the information sections but also chti chat..for those of us who have insomnia it is nice to go on and see you are not alone and have someone to talk to at 3 inthe morning ..i thought that is what that section was for and I enjoy it along with all of the other parts of these message boards!!