Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Default Bring Back Real Bon Voyage Parties

I know with the save the waves programs and all streamers are out but surely the cruislines can still throw a good party....!at least ONE big send off...I know some ships/lines have parties but the best one i went on was on celebrity constellation and that could have been way better....the real pinapples and bannanas hanging everywhere was cool and all the sculptures too... but i want a real party...that isn't 2 hours or an hour long........is that too much to ask....music , games, people, fun not a real quick explanation of all to do all week then some music for an hour food for an hour then finished.....I WANT A REAL PARTY especially on the fun ships.!!! close with them but not as well decorated as celebrity...give me a party till 2-3 am at least... start the cruise off right ,,,Iguarantee people will spend more and have a better time if the cruise starts off with a rush
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Bring Back Real Bon Voyage Parties

I totally agree! I loved the streamers and it was the best way in the world to send people off on a voyage of a lifetime. My first sight of a real cruise ship was to send off some friends of mine who were on board as entertainers. I had been recording them in the studio for 2 months and got to be good friends with them. They then board the Royal Viking Star on its way to China. I was on shore throwing streamers at them, and as that ship sailed away there never anything I wanted more in life than to be on board that ship sailing to China with my friends. One of my life miracles is that within 2 months I WAS offered a job with the same company and soon I was the one on board throwing streamers at the people on shore.

In fact, it was my job to pass the streamers out, but a good thing I did not have to clean them up. This was the Royal Viking Sea, Los Angeles Terminal, 1983.

Anyway - you've inspired me to scan some old pictures of mine and include them here. I uploaded to the photo gallery to see the full size here: http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2575

Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

I agree, on some cruises the CD really gets people going just by doing what he does, and that sort of sets the "mood" for the rest of the trip.

banker
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I agree that there should be a great Bon Voyage (or Sailaway) party

On our second cruise not only was there NOT a Bon Voyage party, but we set sail while we were still doing the muster drill . That is not the best way to start a cruise!

I have wonderful pictures of my parents cruising in the early 70's with streamers and all . Surely someone could invent biodegradable streamers!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

It is sad and I miss those days.
Now anyone that comes to give you a send off can barely get near the ship.
I remember when guests could come aboard and leave before sailing. Not now. Well, with very special permission.

Sail away parties are almost non existent and when they do have them it is a bust.

Remember those days do bring back memories.

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Fern! Would it be possible for you to upload the piccies of your parents cruising?
I LOVE these old pictures. When you see tear tab steel coke can on the table it does bring back lots of memories.

I can't see why they can't have sail away parties with streamers dropping from all the floors in those atrium ships.
What a wounderful sight that would make?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Admiral

well then I think CM sponsored group cruises should restart the tradition of throwing a great send off party under a CM banner !!!!! I bet it would be a great way to recruit new members..make sure everyone is stationed right in front of the live web cam so the rest of us can watch (BG)
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
well then I think CM sponsored group cruises should restart the tradition of throwing a great send off party under a CM banner !!!!! I bet it would be a great way to recruit new members..make sure everyone is stationed right in front of the live web cam so the rest of us can watch (BG)
Venice - I love your idea, but I wonder if the cruise lines would let us do it?

By the way - do you all like my pictures of the streamers. Putting those up brought back a LOT of memories for me.
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Paul..sure they would..tell them you are a producer with the TV reality show "Punked" and you want to film onboard their ship...By the time they figure out you aren't, every one in the entire universe will know about this website (VBG)
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Passenger

i think they wouldn't mind...right??? same thing as traveling with extended family reunion and throwing a party right???great idea
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Hi Liam,

I wish I could post those pictures! I'm so computer illiterate that I don't even understand the instructions to post pictures! Maybe someday, when I have time... I'll try to figure it out!

They are great pictures. The ladies are mostly in dresses and skirts, carrying purses, even on the pool deck! Their cabin, which they loved, was tiny! Yet, they had a wonderful cruise.

Unfortunately, I was in my "rebellious" period at the time, or I might have been able to go, too.

I'd have to go through a lot of "stuff" to be sure, but I think it was on the Norway.

I'll let you know if I ever figure out "picture posting!".

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Default Sail Away Party

I would LOVE to have a true 'Love Boat' experience. I wouldn't even care if it made my cruise a little more expensive...I think it would make it so much more exciting.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Paul, I thought those pictures were great. I keep looking at them, over and over. This will be our first cruise, and for us it's a vacation of a lifetime so I wish we could have one of those great send-offs. On a side note - I asked our PVP about those little popper streamers and he says we can have them (although I doubt we could get them through security at O'Hare). He said the crew uses them for New Year's, etc. We're bringing bubbles instead. Oh well.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Streamers are all a part of that grand tradition of cruising which unfortunately has had to go by the wayside because of the complications of our modern world.

CruiseFuse says it is her first cruise. I think it would be great for her to do a little research onto the tradition of cruising, which goes back to the days when travel was an event. Remember when people used to wear suits to fly on airplanes?

Cruise ship tradition comes from the days when ocean liners crossed the Atlantic as the sole means of conveyence between the continents. Travel at all was for the well-healed, but especially in first class. Wearing not just a formal suit, but a tuxedo, was expected at dinner. Each night was formal including champagne, cigars, string quartets and fine food.

When ocean liners virtually disappeared overnight with transatlantic flights taking over in the 50s, the cruise industry was born. Most of the people who took cruises back them were people who had been on ocean liners. Cruising was undiscovered except by those who had this experience. Therefore they had high expectations for the onboard experience to be like it was on the liners.

This has slowing disapated as that generation disappears. Some of the tradition remains, but that isn't where the money is anymore.

If you LIKE that kind of tradition however, you can still find it on some of the luxury lines. Or even Holland America, which is priced like a budget vessel much of the time, still has a degree of this refinement on board.

The more you know about it, the more you appreciate it.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually Paul, I have done research into cruising. People used to take everything but the kitchen sink with them, including some household help. I loved the fancy dress and the "event" that it was. On a lot of levels I was born too late. Except of course, I do like some of the modern luxuries like hot and cold running water, etc. Thanks to the upgrade fairy (that didn't exist in that previous time), we don't have to travel steerage.

Old February 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Passenger

What's that. The closest thing to a Bon Voyage Party I have seen is the line dancing at the pool bar with Steel Drums. Big Deal. You don't even see people hanging over the sides waving and yelling.

Half the time your still into the safety drill while leaving dock. They just don't look like they do on TV. I still enjoy the entire cruise. Just would like more partying/games and things put on by the crew. And not the newlywed game or scavenger hunt, bellyflop contest, sexy legs. Give us More, more interactive with the crew. Maybe I need to try another cruise line.

WishFul thinking.

Explorer 02-06
Mariner 04-06
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default new streamers

if they can make toilet paper biodegradable enough to be used in septic systems, they can figure out how to cut it and dye it and turn it into streamers and confetti! this will be my first cruise as well and i sincerely hope i'm able to have some kind of memory of the first send-off. maybe it's naieve, but i was sort of hoping i'd find a titanic-type of scene. now i know it's wishful thinking.

strangely enough, there was a ship that capsized here in chicago decades ago as it was getting ready to leave. maybe all those people rushing to the one side was too much for the older vessels back then. who knows? i say let's do our own bon voyage party. we're leaving from miami on 4/30 on the carnival valor. i'm in if anyone else is. o'hare may not let you take "explosives" on the ship but i'm sure there is a walgreen's in miami somewhere.

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Admiral

i would love that! Streamers and champagne!!
The closest thing to a Bon Voyage Pary nowadays is when you sail out of Ft. Lauderdale and all the folks in the hi-rise condos along the waterway throw you a send-off - they have air horns, cruise ship banners hanging off their balconies, they flash their porch lights and they stand on the shore and wave to you!!
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: new streamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen175
if they can make toilet paper biodegradable enough to be used in septic systems, they can figure out how to cut it and dye it and turn it into streamers and confetti! this will be my first cruise as well and i sincerely hope i'm able to have some kind of memory of the first send-off. maybe it's naieve, but i was sort of hoping i'd find a titanic-type of scene. now i know it's wishful thinking.

strangely enough, there was a ship that capsized here in chicago decades ago as it was getting ready to leave. maybe all those people rushing to the one side was too much for the older vessels back then. who knows? i say let's do our own bon voyage party. we're leaving from miami on 4/30 on the carnival valor. i'm in if anyone else is. o'hare may not let you take "explosives" on the ship but i'm sure there is a walgreen's in miami somewhere.
Ok then. We'll throw toilet paper.
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Admiral

good one Barb
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Princess is going to let visitors on ships. guests will be able to go aboard and see their friends off, have lunch and maybe a few drinks.

Passengers Can Once Again Invite Friends and Family Aboard Ship On Embarkation Day

Princess Cruises is debuting an innovative, new program giving passengers the opportunity to invite their friends and family aboard their ship on embarkation day to wish them “bon voyage” and get a taste of the onboard experience.

Called the “Bon Voyage ExperienceSM,” the program is a new twist on the departure celebration of bygone days, when friends and family would routinely come aboard to see off passengers. Because of increasingly tighter security procedures, this practice disappeared more than two decades ago, but it’s now back – complete with lunch in the dining room and tour of the ship.

Unique in the cruise industry, the Bon Voyage ExperienceSM enables passengers to extend an invitation to their guests to join them onboard during sailing day for a four-course dining room lunch with wine, a ship tour and even a souvenir photo. Passengers and their guests can enjoy priority embarkation and will be able to spend approximately four hours together on the ship before it sets sail. The cost for the program is $39 per person, which can be applied toward a future Princess cruise.

The program will debut in March in the ports of Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale, and then roll out to New York, San Francisco and Seattle.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Passenger

Default Greetings from San Pedro

Paul, those photos you took of the Royal Viking Star, were at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro, CA. Born and raised in San Pedro, cruising was something I always wanted to do & I did. I still remember those sailaway parties as I used to visit the ships as much as they would let me on. One day, the ship's DJ asked if I wanted to fill-in for him while he took a couple of weeks off. That started a 10 year career with Carnival.

Anyway, just wanted to share my sailaway experiences.

Sunrises & Sunsets are so wonderful on a cruise.

DJ Bob
Henderson, NV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ Bob Douglas.jpg (44.7 KB, 0 views)
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hi Bob...

Good to see you again! I did not know you grew up in San Pedro. On our days ported in San Pedro we used to drive down to the seafront and eat seafood. They now have a Billion-$ expansion plan mapped out for the city with new cruise ship terminals - just like San Diego does.

I am hoping the cruise lines will really start developing new ports in Mexico soon. I had a chance to dine with the person who is in charge of long-term port planning for Carnival Corp when I was on Costa and he said to me it is something Carnival is working very hard on doing. He said the challenge is that Carnival Ciorp has to be sure it can rely on stability of the local officials before they make a substantial investment - which you can imagine is a tough problem in many nations. Their investments have to be good for decades because they put a lot of money into them.

Royal Viking was a great cruise line - and that is so funny that you also got your start with them. It is also funny that you came to working on cruise ships so easly, pretty much as i did. Because back in the 1980s no one thought about them, so those of us who already had experience had easier times getting jobs when cruising became more popular because we already had experience.
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
Paul, those photos you took of the Royal Viking Star, were at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro, CA. Born and raised in San Pedro, cruising was something I always wanted to do & I did. I still remember those sailaway parties as I used to visit the ships as much as they would let me on. One day, the ship's DJ asked if I wanted to fill-in for him while he took a couple of weeks off. That started a 10 year career with Carnival.

Anyway, just wanted to share my sailaway experiences.

Sunrises & Sunsets are so wonderful on a cruise.

DJ Bob
Henderson, NV
Hello, DJ Bob! I'm curious as to what ship's you DJ on?? Where can we find you?

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Save for the "Adventures Away" party with my Disney peeps (that means Mickey, Minnie, and heck-knows-who) on DCL's Disney Wonder in '08, I have not attended a big bon voyage party. I don't care if there's nary, but wouldn't it be exciting?
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

I guess I am too recent a cruiser. I have never seen a bon voyage party. I do remember the lavish midnight buffets. Since little food was eaten during those and much was wasted, I think it is a good thing those have been discontinued.

I did like that we had great food at dinner, and I do miss that on most lines, we now have to eat in a specialty to get that.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I think Snooze did a nice job on the last snooze cruise. We had a private Cruise Mates sail way party on the aft balconies. It was a byob affair, and loads of fun. It was a nice way to meet new people and catch up with friends. I think the Love Boat send off is a thing of the past. Unless someone can come up with bio-degradable, self cleaning, eco friendly streamers. It won't happen any time soon. I experienced it once on Sitmar and it was fun. If I had a choice I would vote to bring back the flaming deserts. I am glad I did see it at least once. Mike
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Did a quick look and here is "green" streamers. There are biodegradeable confetti and streamers but the key may be the fire resistance more that the biodegradeable feature..."CleanFree™ is a material created from plant starch that dissolves when exposed to water. It is the perfect material for use in environmentally sensitive outdoor venues where clean up is either impossible, or very expensive. CleanFree™ is not FR treated. "

Its the launchers of this great stuff that may be the issue. Are they
explosive charges" that are of course banned on vessels?

It would be great to be able to do this on group sailings, as Venice said, to draw attention to our fun site !

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yeah - the self-cleaning part is the biggest thing. YTou would not believe what kind of mess is left behind. They need to be able to make them out of fish food.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Captain

So the tradition of throwing streamers was to create a physical link between you and your friends and family on the pier.

Today, unless your friends and family are pier security or stevedores, they are not allowed on the pier to catch the streamers you want to throw. Your friends and family are probably nowhere near the pier anyway; probably not even in the same city.

Who would be there to catch them and hold them as the ship sails away??
Should the cruise line hire a bunch of strangers to do it?

About half the ports in North America have strict noise abatement laws near the pier areas, with fines for any ships making noise and disturbing the locals. In many Alaska and California ports, the ships are even forbidden from blowing their whistles on departure. Loud deck parties are definitely a no-no.

You could still do it in major ports like Miami, New York, or San Pedro - if you could get around the US Coast Guard regulation about throwing things into the sea.

Now you need to work out the timing:

The cruise lines try to have the safety drill as close to departure as possible in order to get the maximum possible number of passengers onboard and to the drill. If they do it any earlier, too many people miss the drill and complain that the cruise line is not serious about safety.

On most itineraries, dinner starts right after the safety drill. If passengers have the option of a deck party or dinner, you know where most will be going - to the dining room.

After dinner is the welcome aboard show. Between deck party and show, the majority usually choose the show. Cruise lines that try to offer no show in the first night always get hammered on their ratings, so no show is not an option.

Once the shows are over the deck party can start - right??

Sure, unless you are one of the many passengers who drove for 18 hours, or who has been flying all day, to get to the ship. You are beat and it's time for bed.
On the first night of the cruise (unless it's a booze cruise out of Miami) most passengers are in bed by 10 pm. That's the night we have the bar staff do their deep cleaning routines, as hardly anybody is there.

So when do you propose to have this wild sail-away party????