Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
There is no "fill in" person because the kids room was closed....how many girls do you want to stay just in case someone is late? when something is closed, its closed. 1 counselor, 1 kid- sounds like a good ratio to me...everyone else was on break.

i dont know why they close at noon- thats just the way it goes. if you're looking for a cruise line that has 24 hour child care- try disney. i think they're open 23 hours a day with one hour left out for cleaning. but i often wonder....if you can't bare to have lunch or dinner with your child between kids crew hours- why do you bring them in the first place? spend some time with your kids- you're on vacation...isnt spending time together the point of vacation?
Lil, the response I was hoping from you was something a little more professional as you say you are a college student. Did you take a course called organizational behavior? I was looking for some suggestions on how to make it better and not a like it or lump it attitude. Obviously it is a problem. What would you honestly suggest as a good alternative? I think just saying that the parent should get back on time is just not the right answer. Obviously it just does not happen all the time.

PS Thanks for the Disney suggestion. I never new about 23 hour childcare but now I can bring my son and hardly see him. Maybe if I slip someone some extra money I can hire someone the extra hour so I never see him.
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lil917hi

i think we all just read a perfect example of a passenger being unnecessarily rude to a crewmember.

i stand my ground- pick your kid up on time.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Captain

I just wanted to ad that the woman was Australian. I guess I was expecting the Wiggles, Paul Hogan and Croc Dundee wrapped up in one. I was at fault to have a stereotype that the Aussies are always jolly like we see on our tellies. They have their good and bad days just like anyone else.
Lil,
Do the childcare workers tend to be going to college to be teachers? Just wondering. Are you english?
Karen
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Passenger

I agree! Then there is no problem for anyone.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Passenger

What does where you come from or if you are English have to do with picking your child up on time. I see now maybe you were the rude one, not the crewmember.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Captain

OK, Your right. I was the rude one. Whatever you want to believe is fine with me.

I was only bringing up the girls nationality because I felt bad that I messed up and I wanted my son to have a good experience. I kept telling him the camp carnival people sound like the Wiggles. I thought they were going to be spunky and jolly. They were actually quiet and tired looking. Then when I caused this lovely Australian girl to get mad at me, it made me sad. I wanted things to go better and I messed things up by not being more careful about the time.

I asked Lil if she is English only to make conversation that is not related to berating each other. I am sure she also is a lovely person.

Karen

PS I still think that a change in how the system works should be instituded.
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lil917hi

karen-
youth counselors come from countries that speak english as their native language(usually)---mainly canada, uk, australia, and the states. i'm not british- i'm american. some cruise lines require a college degree, others only require a certain number of years completed or credit hours. i'm a teacher myself, but many of the youth counselors are not. i've never worked with anyone who is actually still in college, but i've heard of college students doing seasonal contracts during christmas and summer. hope this answers some of your questions.
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Captain

Hi Lil,
Thanks for responding about the nationalities and your own background. It is nice to hear the opinion of someone who actually works on a ship. You are doing a great job at representing yourself and others who work on the line and I won't write the letter to Carnival and complain.

I didn't mean to offend you with the lowly part. I was just trying to make a point to the guy who I thought is a doctor. I actually do the kind of work that some say is low status work. I work as an independent housecleaner. I literally have to clean peoples S@#T. I have a business degree and do administrative work with a music program part time but still like to do my cleaning work too.

Maybe one day I will see you on one of the ships and I promise to not be late.
Karen and Ryan
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Admiral

I am posting this as an FYI to any parent who considers allowing their child to go to Camp Carnival. I have had wonderful experiences with Camp Carnival. On the first night of every cruise they conduct an orientation. It basically lays out how the camp operates and everyone's responsibilities and expectations of parents, kids and counselors.
There is a caper for each age group and it contains all of the activities and hours of the camp for each day. It contains the times that the camp is open and when it is closed. It also tells you when they conduct babysitting for a fee and what that fee is.
Royal Caribbean also has a great program and operates in a similar manner, but if you are late picking up your child, you'll be assessed a per minute charge.
A few months ago people I knew went on a Carnival cruise, when they returned I asked how they liked it... well they said never again would they ever cruise Carnival again... because they took their kids for late night activities and were so upset that Carnival had the audacity to charge them for that. When I mentioned to them that had they taken 45 minutes to attend the orientation or just read the Camp Carnival Capers they would have known that. I asked them how much the offensive charges were it totalled $30.00. In my opinion that was a cheap lesson. So to Sailing Gal I would say that if I were you I would chalk it up to experience. Learn from it and move forward. No need to dwell on it. I am sure it will never happen again.
One thing that Royal did that I really liked is when you signed your kids in, on the sign in sheet they list the time that the kids must be picked up by, and pointed it out to the parents as they signed in.
The young people that were working Camp Carnival on the Liberty's November 12th sailing were nothing but professional. They were wonderful to both of my children and made their vacation experiences special and unforgettable. My daughter has been singing a song she made up about her favorite counselor Nishant, who she has been missing terribly since we left the ship. My son loved Cynthia and was thrilled that Jennifer who he met on our January Carnival cruise, was on this cruise too. So truthfully, one incident such as yours is no reflection of the character or mentality of the exceptional majority of Camp Carnival workers, and perhaps she just had a bad day.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:38 AM
Admiral

Since I wasn't there to witness the "event", I can't pass judgment on who was right and who was wrong. But as a daycare provider I can say that nothing is worse than a late parent. There have been times in my 16 years of doing this that I have gotten very upset at a parent for being late. My times of operation are devoted to them and their child. But when my closing time comes, my devotion turns to my family, my seocnd job, myself or anything that does not involve them or their child. What little free time I have, should not include waiting on a late parent. I charge a hefty late fee that my parents are well aware of. They expect me to be there at 7:30 am when they come, I expect them to be there at 5:30 pm when I close. This girl may have had plans for her lunch break. Someone picking up late could have caused her to have to break them. She also could have as someone else stated been hungry and got angry because her lunchtime was cut down. Or maybe she was just having a bad day, as we all somtimes do, and needed her lunch break to clear her head.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohnB
You do admit your responsibility, yet IMO, you gloss over it by honing in on the supposed rudeness of the child caregiver. While I tend to agree with Jim B., if you feel she was indeed rude, then write a letter to CCL and let them know. But address your rudeness in the letter and rude you were. This caregiver has a life too. You (in essence) contracted her for x hours with you child, yet you waltzed back 30 minutes late and I would be willing to bet that you didn't even think about her point of view when you realized you were late.

This one really falls under the umbrella of "Personal Responsibility". You failed to take it.
I tend to disagree with the Doc here. Late parents is a constant problem in this area, not an unusual happenstance. She was only 30 minutes late, and she owned up to her error and apologized. This babysitter should not take the job if she cannot deal with a situation like this in a polite manner.

In my experience, the position of youth coordinator is an entry-level cruise staff job. They are often young people who are hired with little shipboard or guest relations experience, the qualifying factor being experience handling children, not guests on an expensive vacation.

This worker should be able to go to her supervisor and tell them what happened and then be allowed to go eat. I seriously doubt if her supervisor would have sanctioned saying anything to a guest that would bring her close to tears. In addition, I would expect the child care department to have policies about such events which I am sure the worker was already aware of, and I seriously doubt they include berating the guest to the point of tears.

Unfortunately, when you take a job on a cruise ship you have to be prepared for a life where your feelings are not worn on your sleeve. You have get along with passengers and fellow crew people. Every good cruise ship employee knows this is a 24-hour obligation, not one that ends when your shift is over.

For guests you must be prepared to put yourself in an attitude of service. You are not "equal" to the passenger, you are working there to please them. If you do not like their behavior then don't stay in the job.

I think most cruise passengers are the type of people who appreciate the staff a great deal and treat them with due respect. For this worker that was not enough. If this person does this constantly as a matter of course then she should not be working on a cruise ship.
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Look at this from the perspective of the child caretaker...I have ONE hour for my break - I have to eat, rest, email my family and friends, take care of any personal obligations and recharge for another session (about 3 - 4 hours) of taking care of a group of lively, funny kids..........and then someone has the balls to pick up their child 30 minutes late.....well now, who or what do I not do? Do I not email my family, do I skip eating, etc? Maybe you were the hair that broke the camel's back?

I can totally realate to this being a nurse. I am legally entitled to a 30 minute break and 2 fifteen minute breaks for every 8 hours I work. Do I get them? NO!!! Because families think they have a right to access me for the total time I am scheduled to work....and they get NASTY when another nurse or the unit secretary says I am on my break. How would they like it if I interrupted their only 30 minute break of the day? They would be upset. I am lucky at times to get a 20 minute break for my 8 and 1/2 hour shift! Do you think that is right or fair? Many times, it is the result of family members who don't give a damn about anyone else.

No one has the right to be rude, but I do believe you were the first person in this whole scenario who was rude. The child care worker can't make up that missed break at another time, while you have the whole cruise!
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Captain

Hi,
My SIL who worked with children at an upscale resort is home for Thanksgiving. I want to print this thread for her to read. Is there a way to do this or I would just highlignt everything, copy and put into word document.

Karen
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Captain

Quote:
No one has the right to be rude, but I do believe you were the first person in this whole scenario who was rude.
That may not technically be true if being late is considered rude.
I had to just ad this twist. The Camp Carnival was scheduled to open for orientation at a certain time but it actually didn't open until about (at least)20 minutes late We(the parents) were all outside looking at our watches, checking with others etc about the correct time. When we finally were let in, no parent mentioned the late time. Also, no crew member apologized. That was the time that they looked tired to me, at the orientation. Everyone waiting outside the door was actually acting very calm and that was a sailing out of NYC.

Karen
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
That may not technically be true if being late is considered rude.
I had to just ad this twist. The Camp Carnival was scheduled to open for orientation at a certain time but it actually didn't open until about (at least)20 minutes late We(the parents) were all outside looking at our watches, checking with others etc about the correct time. When we finally were let in, no parent mentioned the late time. Also, no crew member apologized. Karen
I suspected as much based upon your initial story. I can usually tell when a department isn't being run right, and it often comes down to middle management. This worker was stressed out because the system for her department isn't working right, not solely because you were late, which as I said, is an occurence they should be familiar with.

I don't consider land-based job experiences to be a valid comparison. Cruise lines employees are expected to treat guests with respect at all times because they are paying for a vacation, and if the babysitter can't deal with a situation like this then she can go back to land-based day care and get snippy with parents all she wants to.
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Karen,

The only way I've found to print is to highlight and copy & paste, as you said. I guess if there was another way Paul would have told you !

I've been thinking about your post for a while. As Paul said, there is no excuse for any staff on a ship to be rude to the customers. But, I wonder, maybe she was waiting for you to "grease her palm" for being late? I realize that would not be the thing to do, but it might have shut her up !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Captain

Hi Fern,
I actually think I would have done that but left my cash in the safe. I did go straight to the room and took money from the safe. It was then that I just had a terrible lump and almost shed a few tears. I was exhausted from staying up late. We actually got on the ship really late from a man having a heart attack on the previous cruise. We had to sit for hours and wait to board. I figured I would go back and give her something for her waste of time when I felt more up to it. I just never felt up to it. It was a painful experience and I just didn't want to go back to the Camp Carnival. I am overly sensitive.
My DH took Ryan a few times and he only lasted for a half hour at the most. He cried and would not stay. There was one Camp Carnival lady that he liked and I wrote her name down.
Karen
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Captain

Hi Paul.
I talked with my SIL and she said that missing a half hour of lunch break is insignificant compared with ruining someones vacation by being snippy(good word). Her words were,"They are on vacation, I mean come on!" Anyway, she is the one who worked at the upscale resort. Her response is the one that got me thinking about how this girl reacted.
I tend to be an easy target for displaced anger. Something I am working on changing.
Your words of wisdom are appreciated.
Karen
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Admiral

"I tend to disagree with the Doc here. Late parents is a constant problem in this area, not an unusual happenstance. She was only 30 minutes late, and she owned up to her error and apologized. This babysitter should not take the job if she cannot deal with a situation like this in a polite manner."

Paul:

Only 30 minutes late?! This is a constant problem...not an unusual happenstance?!

Maybe THAT is the problem! Everyone thinks..."I'm only 15 minutes late"..."I'm only 30 minutes late". If every parent thinks that why we can image why these caregivers get upset.

Lets add it up...if parent number #1 is only 15 minutes late...and then parent number #2 is ONLY 30 minutes late...and then parent number #3 is ONLY 20 minutes late......this Caregiver is now over 1 hour behind. If parents are ALL 30 minutes late, thinking "Geez, I'm only 30 minutes late, what's the big deal?!"...Now the Caregiver is 1 1/2 hours in the hole and not even 1/2 way through their day.

The problem is: They are not dealing with ONLY ONE parent...but lots of parents who most likely have the same attitude..."What's the fuss...I'm only a few minutes late". Never appreciating the fact that they are NOT the only ones this Caregiver is dealing with. (10+15+15+30+10+?+++)

Come on guys...how do you feel when you are dealing with a business that makes YOU wait?! You have an appointment, you are on time, arrange your schedule and now you're waiting... for your barber, hair stylist, Doctor, Cable guy, repair person. Finally you are taken care of, but their late, maybe just 30minutes or even 0ne hour. Oh, they may have an excuse or maybe even a good reason...but does that make up for the time that you wasted waiting? You had plans for the day, other things to do, other appointments, but instead you were made to wait. Now YOUR upset...and you are only dealing with ONE person. Try adding to that one incident...waiting at the Bank, waiting at the Dentist office. How do you feel? Your schedule is now a mess.

Now, you try being JUST 30 minutes late for an appointment with your hair stylist or even your Dentist...betcha she/he won't take you. Most will just move on to the next customer. Try telling her/him..."It's only 30 minutes, I'm sorry, I lost track of time." Some won't see you, but will even charge you for the missed visit. Why? Their time is valuable...and they charge for it!

We should not cheapen the job of a Caregiver by saying, "It's her job and if she doesn't like it she should do something else". That's not showing respect for their position or value in caring for children. You are not viewing or treating them as professionals.

Since we really don't KNOW BOTH sides..it would be better to have a more balanced view of the situation, giving both sides some credit.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Lets add it up...if parent number #1 is only 15 minutes late...and then parent number #2 is ONLY 30 minutes late...and then parent number #3 is ONLY 20 minutes late......this Caregiver is now over 1 hour behind. If parents are ALL 30 minutes late, thinking "Geez, I'm only 30 minutes late, what's the big deal?!"...Now the Caregiver is 1 1/2 hours in the hole and not even 1/2 way through their day.
Mouse,
This does not make sense. The Camp Carnival is only closed for the lunch break. The worker can not get backed up in this manner.

How about when I had to wait 20 minutes or more for the staff to open the Camp Carnival? I want to hear your reasoning for that. Should I have gone in and gotten snippy and it would be okay because I was tired etc.?
As Ghandi said-An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.
Karen
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:00 AM
First Mate

Wow I cannot believe what this thread has turned into.

If the time to pick up your kid is 5:30 you should be there. I cannot believe the amount of parents that boast about taking their kids on holiday when in fact they are leaving them with babysitters for most of the holiday and when the times conflict it is someone else's fault.

Listen, when you have kids you become a parent, and as such you are responsible for another person 24/7.

If you go on holiday and there is someone who will look after your child for a certain time, that's great, but you are ultimately responsible for your child.

If you don't want to spend any time on your holiday with your children, don't take them with you.

How dare you expect someone else to look after your family whilst you holiday?

I still do not believe that cruising is a good choice for a family holiday unless you are willing to let your children take precedent. Try Disneyland or Disney cruises where everything is geared to children.

I have 3 children and have travelled extensively with them but it is always their holiday and we make sacrifices of what we would like to do in order to make their memories happy ones.
I feel that in a few years we will not have them with us and that is when we can do our thing. My belief is that once you have children they are your focus 100 per cent. Nothing else will do.

Jenn
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Captain

Jenn,
Do you work or you stay home woth your children? Do you ever have a babysitter?
I do not understand your assumptions that being late to pick up a child means that you don't care about them. Are you saying that you never make errors?
What about the argument I hear all the time that children need to socialize with other children? I thought this would be a good opportunity for that to occur. Would not putting your children in a social setting and thinking of their social needs be putting them as top priority?

The only solution I can come up with for your reaction is that you spend every minute with your children on a cruise because you work during the week and therefore have some guilt. But then this would be making an assumption about you as you have made about people on this thread and I just cannot not know what is occuring at the time that you write your thread.
For myself personally, I put Ryan in the camp thinking that it may or may not work and it would be in small increments of time. He was with us a lot which I enjoyed. I think your assumption is off.
Karen
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Jenn is right on target here. Children are 24/7. Cruising is great and kids programs are great. In return, parents need to respect the program and rules of closing time etc. And parents need to respect the caregiver. I have seen too much of lack of respect of this by parents. Pick your child up on time. i always knew my children's school, play dates, programs etc time of start and finish. If late I was ready to admit I was wrong and a I am sorry
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
If late I was ready to admit I was wrong and a I am sorry
AMotherWK proves the point that errors do occur even if you do care about your kids and try the hardest to do your best. I am surprised how easily other mothers can slam eachother. Making insinuations that one must be a bad mother because they made an error. We are human and mistakes occur.
My thread was not meant to slam others but to see if there are ways to handle situations that don't require a person getting to the point where they feel put upon and lash out.

What about when the Camp Carnival was not open at the time presented in the flyer? What should my reaction have been to this? I have not seen a response to this accept from Paul M.
Karen
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sailing Gal started out by saying she made an error and admitted it. I have no idea why you would question her parenting skills. Frankly your over-zealousness about parenting frightens me a little. I was not raised to think I was a 24-7 responsibility. My parents taught me that adults come first and that I had to know my place so my parents could have a life of their own.

I was on a tour bus in Washington DC last month and there were three kids in the front row shouting and jumping on seats. The poor tour guide was coming apart from distraction and asked the gentleman to take his kids to the back of the bus.

The father reacted like a typical 21st century papa bear with his "don't talk about my kids that way" attitude that frankly was completely uncalled for. He refused to move and took the name & number of the guide threatening to report him to the company. In other words, the exact opposite of what I would have done if it were MY kids disrupting the experience for the entire group.

In any case, once again I say this is NOT like any other usual daycare, it is on a cruise ship and provided for during an expensive vacation that is supposed to be service oriented. If this were Radisson instead of Carnival I would be up in arms. I seriously doubt the cruise line would condone this worker's response. Events like this CAN ruin a vacation because they end up preoccupying your thoughts when you should be enjoying yourself.

And Fieldmouse... about this:

Quote:
Only 30 minutes late?! This is a constant problem...not an unusual happenstance?!

Maybe THAT is the problem! Everyone thinks..."I'm only 15 minutes late"..."I'm only 30 minutes late". If every parent thinks that why we can image why these caregivers get upset.

uummm... with all due respect your logic reflects to me someone who has possibly been spending too much time on children's activities. If parent number 2 is 30 minutes late then it would coincide with the same 30 minutes that Sailing Gal was late, and Parent #3 would have been there 15 minutes before Sailing Gal got there. What you are trying to say is parent #3 is 1 1/2 hours late, and that is significantly different from 30 minutes late in my mind.

If I may use this example, (please indulge me and see if you can follow this). My step-daughter who is 20 often makes mistakes that cause me a lot of anxiety, but she always has an excuse based on what she was "thinking" at the time. It is always faulty logic but I am forced to accept it in order not to make her feel bad. But this is what really bothers me about it - she never says "I'm sorry, it was my fault," like Sailing Gal did, but rather she implies she had no fault because she was thinking "logically" even though her "logic" turned out to be "unexpectedly" wrong.

An example, despite the fact we had given her an exact place to park away from our cars, she parked one night right behind my garage because she "thought" I wouldn't be needing my car before she took me to the airport the next morning. My aging mom called me at 3:00 a.m. wanting to go to the hospital so I jumped in my car opened the garage door and backed up into her car before I got a few feet. Well, according to my wife I couldn't be mad at her because she had logical thought behind where she had parked that night. Doesn't matter that we had told her to park elsewhere.

This to me is what happens when you mold your life around your kids, they grow thinking the world will adapt to them, not that they have to learn how to fit in. If you have kids like that then God bless you because they may be dependent upon you for the rest of your life like my stepdaughter currently is.
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Paul,,,,

Sorry, I'm a bit behind on this thread, please excuse

Thomas, my good friend, going into quotes, mine first

""To answer your question, no. No member of staff in any organisation has any right to be rude to a customer, no matter the circumstance. ".... DavidB

Then you go with!

"This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long, long time." Said Thomas.

On two counts you are wrong #1: I have said worst, so that is not the most riduculous statement you have read.

#two: Yes you can be forceful in dealing with a client scenario,,,,,,but never ever be rude to the patron, that was my point. Dont agree, so when is a pissed off employee allowed to become rude?

This aint their business, they just work there!

Thomas, you have built a bar / restaurant business, so do you as a bar / restuarant owner think it is okay for the new guy, only with you for two nights or two weeks to have the freedom to piss of the customers that you have nutured for years!,,,because they as individuals are pissed off?

So bud, what you do in your bar / restaurant if one of your new staff gave your regulars a hard time? MMMmmmm, actually dont have to think about it. They would be canned, out of there and you go back and sort it with your client

Yes you can place a point strongly as a doorman, waiter, bartender. But it should never be rude, ie personal or seen as one on one. Doorman is the excetion

You surprise me
Old November 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Some people may have forgotten the OP's original post:

Quote:
Here is one to get some opinions. I was on a cruise and was late to get my son. I was a half hour late. I made an error on my part by assuming that the beeper displays on the screen when the child care area is trying to contact me. I had on a wet suit and didn't want to get the beeper wet. Well, the main point is that it was an error and I was not purposely being negligent.
The part I find troubling is the reaction of the woman who had to wait with my son until I got back. She was angry and told me that she missed her lunch because of me. She had me almost in tears because I was feeling terrible to have made the mistake and on top of that, she was rude to me.
I talked to my sister in law about what happened. She works with children at an upscale resort. She said that sometimes parents are late and it is inappropriate to be rude to a customer. She would calmly just explain to them that they would have to be back by a certain time.
I was so embarrassed that I just did not bring my son back as I felt that I had gotten off on the wrong foot with this woman.
Any opinions on this? Is a worker justified in being rude when the customer is at fault?
Karen
First of all, Karen admitted she made an error. Second, the child care worker was rude to her, to the point of bringing her to tears. The staff on a cruise ship (or any other customer service person, anywhere), should be trained to be polite to the customers, no matter what happens. I know that the few times I've had a problem at a store or in a restaurant the sales person or the waiter/waitress brought the manager over to solve the problem. They were never rude! The cruise ships offer child care services as a "perk" for their customers and the workers should be trained appropriately.

The problem (besides the training) seems to be that the cruise lines don't hire enough child care workers to cover the day. I don't have young children, but it would never occur to me that "lunch hour" wasn't covered!

Paul,

Unfortunately children are not raised now as we were. If I had acted like those children you spoke of (and I wouldn't have dreamed of it!) I would have been off that bus and in serious trouble with my parents in about 2 seconds! Somehow children, not matter their age, must be taught that they are NOT the center of the universe!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Admiral

DavyB,

Try to follow this carefully.

#1) I don't care what you've said here, there, or in your bathroom. I can say unconditionally: "This is the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long, long, time." I'm not saying it's the most ridiculous I've ever read, in my entire life, or which I've read in the last 2.5 years, or the like.

#2) Staff members are people too. They should refrain from being rude to customers. But I would not claim that there is no reason (as you do) for any one of them to be rude to a customer. I have had waitresses whom I supported when a customer was inappropriately touching them and the waitress was rude in her response. And I'll do it again.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

IMHO the OP made 3 mistakes......first she ASSUMED that the beeper would indicate the time she was to pick up her child. Secondly, she admitted that she did not want to get the beeper wet so she was not wearing it (not that it would have beeped her if she was late, it would have beeped her in an EMERGENCY! However if she wasn't wearing it, how would she hear or feel it?) Third, she expected that the person taking care of her child would not get upset that her limited personal time was infringed upon.

Staff on a ship have LIMITED personal time - you canot make it up later in the day or during the week. Period. It is lost.

Yes, maybe the worker SHOULD have been a little less upset (and in your opinion, rude), but what you did was rude and inconsiderate (even if it was accidental, did you apologize first thing for being late and inconsiderate in the first place? Maybe that would have made a difference to the worker if you were sincerely sorry for the lateness.)

People who work on cruise ships are human too......and I try to remember to treat them the way I would want to be treated. To expect ANY human being to be "up" 24/7/365 is unrealistic.
Old November 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Lisa. Again, I'll state as before I wasn't there but I think this post is getting ridiculous not to mention boring. What exactly is rude to one depending on sensitivity, etc. may be something that would just be brushed off by another. But I do like to talk to the crew and as Lisa and others have stated they are on VERY limited time off with MANY, MANY personal things to take care of such as phone calls, emails, wiring money home, whatever is necessary. Just respect that their time off is as valuable to them as your leisure time away from your children. If you had your children with you at all times you wouldn't be able to enjoy many of those adventures you so look forward to when on vacation.
Closed Thread