Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Should infants (under 2 years old) be taken on cruises?
Yes, they are part of the family! 60 32.61%
No, they won't even know they went! 110 59.78%
Don't know/don't care. 14 7.61%
We take a "nanny" with us on vacation. 0 0%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyjean
PQ said: Shelly Jean, you are kidding aren't you? I mean a five yr old goes to kindergarden where I come from, hence they are out of their parents supervision for hours at a time. You must have only one child to get that " anxious" about leaving your child with anyone. You actually said "EVEN THEN" when referring to the FATHER of a child caring for his own child. Your husband must be so happy that you have so little confidence in his parenting abilities."

My son goes to Kindergarten and I am fine with that-I am even fine with him being away for overnight, but I would be anxious for my son and the caregiver if for no other reason that he is used to me and it would be challenging for either one to be thrust together for a week or two. I am a full time mom of 3, my eldest is 18.And my husband is probably more anxious about my 11 night cruise coming up in April than I am, cause I take care of Brendan all the time, and he sees him for a couple hours a day usually. They are both used to having me there. I am hoping they will have a wonderful time to discover each other better, but I know who remembers his favorite things, and that he HAS a bedtime and how to make his macaroni and eggs the way he likes them.

That is not a slam on my husband, that is the reality of everyday life with a young child and a indulged husband (who will know the worth of his stay-home wife when she is gone for 2 weeks!!)
I agree with you Shelly, I would never take a small child to the piano bar and many other places on ship-dinner would be okay, the pool would be okay-but bringing a small child would limit my enjoyment of the ship and really the kids seem to me to be a little bored on ship outside of the kid's club. So I agree, take your kids to Disneyworld when they are young-that is what they enjoy-and then get Grandma to take the kids for you-every once in a while when you cruise- so YOU can fully enjoy your cruise.
Often that is the problem-parents are NOT supervising their kids-because that puts a crimp in their enjoyment of the cruise. Mom and Dad is in the piano bar in the evening and the kids,instead of sleeping in the stateroom, are running wild and loose.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: poor mommy meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzette1
Our last cruise there was a quite young couple in the Windjammer with a tiny new baby and they were trying so hard to keep it all together and keep the baby from crying and looking for diapers and you could tell that they hadn't slept well. The Dad got up to dish up some food, the baby puked and the poor Mommy just started to tear up and cry. I felt so bad for her. It is a lot of work to travel with a small child, all schedules are off and apparently they didn't get any rest.
We were also next to a group of 3 small children and Grama and the crying kept us up a couple of nights.
The local movie theater we have here in town has a policy that no child under a certain age is allowed after the 6 oclock showing. I love that, if you want an adult time you go to the later showing, how about that on a cruise or an adults only restaurant like on the Disney
You mean Palos? That is the pay extra specialty resturant. Most of the newer cruiseships have them-now Royal Caribbean allows age 13-but most lines say 16 or 18 like Disney.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Something else not mentioned. Kids NEED a break from their parents everynow and then too!

Some parents (NOT ALL) tend to smother their children, overwhelm them with their good intentions. Children are just that, children. They'll be introduced into the adult world soon enough, so give them something to look forward too for heaven sake! Don't rush it...they grow-up way too fast anyway.

So, as parents...if you decide to vacation as a family...make it some place the kids will enjoy right off...and you don't have to WORK at making it fun. That is...if you're really thinking of the children and what they will enjoy most.

If it's your vacation...commit to it! You're not a bad person because you want a little breather, and some time alone with your sponse.

But to take a child or children on a cruise line not really greared up for children...is a disservice to both you and the child/children, not to mention the cruiseline who has to deal with the bored, frustrated children.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Yeoman

Sorry but I'm all for it and if you like, then you can even give birth on the ship if you like...

Families should always be together, just pick the ship and pick the line that all of you will be comfortable in, doing "your thing" as a family.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Sorry but I'm all for it and if you like, then you can even give birth on the ship if you like...

Families should always be together, just pick the ship and pick the line that all of you will be comfortable in, doing "your thing" as a family.
the problem is outside of Disney-cruiseships are not geared toward children-especially in the evening. Mom and Dad may want to go to the paino bar, outside of the show lounge, bars are not good places for kids.

so what a eyou do do with the young kids in the evening? Outside of Disney there is no kid's club, not all lines offer babysitting service. so what do you do? eat dinner and go to the show lounge if the show does not bore the kids-if they are bored-you go back to your room and HOPE there is a decent movie on tha tyou can watch in that cramped stateroom?

That is the problem. Kids get BORED on ship and the parents are stressed trying to keep them entertained. That is the GOOD parents. Many people just leave their kids on their own so ofcourse the kids get into devilment-they are bored to death.

One kid actually told he was sent to "play on the elevators" because Mommy and Daddy needs "private" time. The kid told us that when we asked why he was out by him self.

Parents that care about their kids would take vacation their kids would enjoy too and save the cruises until the kids are old enough to enjoy it and possibly, occasionially, leave the kids with their grandparents to take a cruise.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for my last chance to tell why I'm out of here.

There is no way in my perception of right and wrong that you even came close, as you have a different "perspective" re what children do, or what adults do on a ship. mmmm

Me, its family and everything done as a family unit, and if that means that as adults you go on a ship for a vacation and deal with the ages of your children and their needs, great....but not what "someone else can give you as an escape from them and your responsibility"

They are your family, you take care of them and when they are older, and gone out your sight, then look to what you could be doing in bars, lounges etc at night. But not before it.

So the problem is not "outside" any line. The problem is people going on a cruise and expecting to dump their responsibility of the family unit onto others

Thats why I'm out as we do not hold the same principles as people and I can only beat my head so many times against it....do your own thing
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Infants On Cruises

As a member of the "rest of you" I do remember some events down to age 2 and my son remembers some events down to age 1 (he's now 11). Had my kiddo not had a great first birthday aboard ship he might never have dragged me on a dozen subsequent cruises. Oh, the sacrifices we get stuck making for our kids.<g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Preparing to be "flamed"!

Recently I've seen posts here and other places from parents who are upset that their infants (under 2 years old) are not allowed in the children's programs, can't go in the pools, have to pay full fare, have to tip the full amount, etc., depending on the cruise line.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have any memories of anything before the age of 4.

Why don't parents leave their infants at home with grandparents, aunts or uncles, or babysitters?

While I don't dislike children at all, I find a sleepy, wet, crying baby very irritating no matter where I am, and especially on vacation.

I think that the parents would enjoy themselves more if the infant was left at home, IMO.

What do you think?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Passenger

We are taking our 3rd cruise and 1st with the baby. She is 22 months old at the time of sailing. Camp Carnival will not allow a child under 2 to particpate, for free that is. We can pay a minimal baby sitting fee and they will allow them in during certain hours. Mostly in port days or evenings so parents can go out. I would NEVER leave my child in there on an in port day, what happens if you don't make it back to the ship? Also, this is a family vacation for us, i'd like to include my youngest child in that. It's not about what she remembers, it's about what we remember. We are parents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and leaving my child with family or a sitter while we go off on a 7-day cruise in my opinion is irresponsible. It's not like boarding my pet for a week, this is a child. At the same time though we would not allow our child to disrupt others enjoyment. We plan to take the baby up on deck and enjoy the less formal dining times with her, then hopefully to pay for the babysitting service so we can enjoy the formal dining experience with my inlaws and our teens.

In my opinions a crying baby should be no more disruptive than older kids left to run all over the cruise ships while the parents cut loose. Our last cruise my husband and I went up on deck for a quiet walk. We heard 3-4 kids probably 10-13 years of age cursing at the pool and saying all kinds of things. My husband finally said to one of them they needed to watch their mouth because there were youngers kids around (not to mention that the were kids themselves). One of them looked at my husband and asked him "what the f are you going to do about it?" We were both just shocked.

I guess my only point here is a baby is a baby is a baby. They are doing what comes naturally and it's the parents that need to have the common sense to realize that not everyone wants to listen to your kids screaming. But at the same point others shouldn't feel that only infants or toddlers can be disruptive on a cruise because older kids left unattended can be much worse. If given the choice between listening to a crying baby on deck or a 10 year old cursing like a sailor, ii'd take the baby every time.

Just my opinion.
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Admiral

When discussing a subject like this, we can only speak in 'generalities' and not for EVERY family who has ever cruised. There are of course exceptions, the families who are living Walton's. (remember the old TV show?) But then there are the families we've meet!

My suggestions and comments are for the family cruisers we've interacted with. Those who evidently don't or aren't able to socialize with their families on a regular bases because circumstance. Now, this family decides they want to re-discover themselves, their sponse and children, all at once, and in a short time!...So they idealize a family cruise. So they pick a cruise line that caters to adults! Hey...aren't all cruises lines the same???

Anyway, when on board ship...reality hits them after a day or two at sea! Bored children, frustrated parents and fellow passengers who by sheer circumstances become involved.

This is not limited to just the cruising vacation, but on any vacation geared for adults and parents insists on bringing their children. It's the 'You're going to have fun if it kills me/you/others!' mentality.

For example: Spas in Napa Valley Calif. Parents insist on bringing their children to spas that cater mainly to adults. There's nothing for the kids to do, they're bored stiff, but the parents persist. Nice memories? For who? Kids waiting for Mom and Dad, bored stiff...running the spa area...driving management crazy. Parents so involved in their own comfort they are oblivious to the discomfort of others.

Oh yeah...Thanks for the memories...
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
When discussing a subject like this, we can only speak in 'generalities' and not for EVERY family who has ever cruised. There are of course exceptions, the families who are living Walton's. (remember the old TV show?) But then there are the families we've meet!

My suggestions and comments are for the family cruisers we've interacted with. Those who evidently don't or aren't able to socialize with their families on a regular bases because circumstance. Now, this family decides they want to re-discover themselves, their sponse and children, all at once, and in a short time!...So they idealize a family cruise. So they pick a cruise line that caters to adults! Hey...aren't all cruises lines the same???

Anyway, when on board ship...reality hits them after a day or two at sea! Bored children, frustrated parents and fellow passengers who by sheer circumstances become involved.

This is not limited to just the cruising vacation, but on any vacation geared for adults and parents insists on bringing their children. It's the 'You're going to have fun if it kills me/you/others!' mentality.

For example: Spas in Napa Valley Calif. Parents insist on bringing their children to spas that cater mainly to adults. There's nothing for the kids to do, they're bored stiff, but the parents persist. Nice memories? For who? Kids waiting for Mom and Dad, bored stiff...running the spa area...driving management crazy. Parents so involved in their own comfort they are oblivious to the discomfort of others.

Oh yeah...Thanks for the memories...
and those are the families we hate to cruise with!

BTW-my last cruise we had this young couple next door to our stateroom with a 6 to 8 mionth old baby. They were very consciouse parents, if out on the balcony he cried they took him in and did not subject us tohis crying. I also noticed they had alot of room service and whenever I went out onmy balcony during the day-the mother was out there with the baby.

I felt bad for her as it seemed to me-she was tied to her stateroom so that baby would not "bother" others. I know what we spent on our stateroom and to me that was alot of money to be stuck in the stateroom all the time.

It would have been much better if that couple had flew somewhere like Grand Cayman and rented a beachouse-they would have enjoyed themselves more-and islands like that have plenty of family restuarants and also takeout. True they would still spend alot of money but at least they would have enjoyed themselves.
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Yeoman

Question: Is this whole thing about, todays "available" money, lack of family values and people social skills.

I will ask the question based on that I am not yet 50 and that I think a lot of people on here, also came from my world of growing up.

If l went 50 miles or so for a vacation we were lucky, and something like a cruise was not known or considered. But we were a family unit, no dumping on others for care or responsibility and we did from 1 - 16 years of age and everything together as a family...my parents would not have done it any other way.

We also had a society that believed (in my case) your grandmother moved in to stay as part of our family unit when she got older and needed help. We did not dump the responsiblity.

That I feel is my problem today, people not accepting responsiblity. And a self inflated acceptance of place in the big picture, especially when it comes to children.

We now either choose to forget, or we have some that appear "we dont know" any different and thats really the sad part.
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

DBG: You have many good memories...but unfortunately, today's reality and family units are much different.

In many families economics force both parents to work in jobs that have long hours and may be highly stressful. Then you have the growing trend of ONE parent family units...This isn't to comment on that situation, but to highlight the way it is.

Under these circumstances, some parents may try to decompress by cruising or taking other vacation options alone, without the children.

Parents sometime need to reconnect with each other as just a man and woman, or even themselves.

This isn't to say, every cruise, every vacation...but it's got to be ok to take a break every now and then...If not over done, it's good for the children and the parents!

But, as has been suggested, if parents decide to go on a cruise with their children for a FAMILY vacation...then pick an appropriate cruise line...the same as you would any other social event.

IF this vacation and cruise is really for the kids...don’t pick a cruise line that caters mostly to adults.
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

DBG: You have many good memories...but unfortunately, today's reality and family units are much different.

In many families economics force both parents to work in jobs that have long hours and may be highly stressful. Then you have the growing trend of ONE parent family units...This isn't to comment on that situation, but to highlight the way it is.

Under these circumstances, some parents may try to decompress by cruising or taking other vacation options alone, without the children.

Parents sometime need to reconnect with each other as just a man and woman, or even themselves.

This isn't to say, every cruise, every vacation...but it's got to be ok to take a break every now and then...If not over done, it's good for the children and the parents!

But, as has been suggested, if parents decide to go on a cruise with their children for a FAMILY vacation...then pick an appropriate cruise line...the same as you would any other social event.

IF this vacation and cruise is really for the kids...don’t pick a cruise line that caters mostly to adults.
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

Okay., I do know reality and I do not live in a "yesterday world" of memories and there is no reason in today's world that it should be any different.

Hey. my father and mother both worked in jobs that would stress out todays parents, given the conditions and hours worked....but they still brought up a caring family unit and one that was respectful and taught "right and wrong" and we all did it together

As for "todays" social excuses and smoke screens.... they are only that, an excuse for I cannot be bothered, which is compounded by the bleeding heart liberal movement that blames "everything on society". An easy get out as it's someones elses fault in "society".

Society begins at home and how you introduce your children into it. Dont fix that then we are slipping down the hill so fast, God help us.

9.000 people "viewing" the thread and around 150 replying to post, and we are left with this society of those "hidden" people that dont contribute to the discussion as they dont care or want to comment on it...as it has "nothing" to do with us / them. Think again as some of of us are talking about your familily values when you place yourself amongst others.

But they read. but at the same time they dont care about you and me or what we think about them, its all about ME and mine. Thats todays sad society, and why should I care about you and what you think?

Ps.. Not aimed at you Fieldmouse its just the scenario Blood boiling going to lay down for ten minutes
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Passenger

I don't mind swhene there are children on cruises or vacations.... as long as the parents are responsible and pay attention to the rules. I was recently on my honeymoon in hawaii, and the hotel i stayed at was very nice. The pool area was set up as 10 or so "lagoon" type pools connected by "streams." Two of these lagoons were marked for adult only use, so my DH and I stayed there to relax. Two women, a mother and grandmother, came over with 4 young kids. They even saw the sign that said "adults only" and said "I'll watch them. It'll be ok." I did not hesitate to get up and say something to the staff. On my last cruise I went to the late shows because of my dinner seating and there were children running around and babies crying. Maybe it's me, but I don't think that kids belong at the raunchy comedy shows.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were totally amazed to see several hundred kids on our first two cruises in the middle of winter. Most were of school age, but some were younger and we've seen babies as young as 5 weeks.
I know it is a matter of personal choice, but personally I am not that masochistic.
We camped with our 5 kids when they were young and I had no illusions that our trips would be total vacation for us. We didn't go on long trips until our youngest was 5. Before that we rented a cabin for a week at a state park.
In '02 after being empty-nesters for a while and spending weekends at our second home for 6 years, DH suggested we do something really cool for our 35th anniv. Cruising was the answer, but we couldn't imagine and still can't why anyone would want to take young kids on an expensive cruise and not be able to really relax the whole time.
We did travel without our kids--a few days in Texas while DH was on a business trip ('77), chaperoning a HS trip to Spain ('84), Hawaii for our 20th anniv. (87) Our parents lived across the street from each other and shared babysitting duties and in '87 the oldest was in college and the others were in HS or JR HI. I never worried about them or even missed them much because I knew they were all right with family in charge. When they were grown up and on their own, we camped by ourselves and enjoyed it a lot.('94 World Cup in Chicago, '96 Olympics in Atlanta, and '98 two weeks in MA). Cruising is even better and we are making the most of it while we can. We have discovered that longer cruises have less kids.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor.Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Some of us cruise more for the kiddo's sake. Cruising is a BTDT after 20 years and it is the kiddos who keep it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm44
Cruising was the answer, but we couldn't imagine and still can't why anyone would want to take young kids on an expensive cruise and not be able to really relax the whole time.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Beginner

My daughter is 2 and my wife and I would never dream of leaving her at home while we went on vacation (although her grandmother would LOVE to take her for a week). She is coming with us next week on a 5 day Celebrity cruise and we will have more fun with her there.

I won a free 7 day RC cruise (air, everything included) when she was 3 months old and turned it down because I thought she was too young.

As for those who say the kids won't remember it when they are older:

No, they most likely won't but, they can have a great time and will remember it and talk about it for months after.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Passenger

I am bringing my 2 1/2 year old on a cruise this summer. She can be a handle full but we would not subject anyone to her behavior when she is actingup. For dinners we are going to either order room service for her or take her to the buffet and we will not be eating but just seeing to her needs. We will then take her to the camp while we have dinner at the late dinner. We do not keep her in a public place when she is acting up or crying out of control. We try to think of other people....
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

My twins went on their first cruise when they were 9 months old, then again at 18 months, and again when they were 2 1/2. They are 3 1/2 now and will be cruising with me again next month. Of course they can't remember those early cruises, but it's obvious from our cruise photo albums that they were having a blast (and they still talk contantly about their last cruise when they were 2 1/2)!

With meals, lodging and entertainment all in one place, I can't think of a more relaxing and stress free way to vacation with very young children. It is the perfect way to spend time as a family without the distractions of everyday life. Whether they remember it or not, they do get something out of that relaxed, care-free, family bonding time.

I am really looking forward to our May cruise, since they are now at an age where they will really remember and get the most out of it. However, I still would not trade those early cruises for anything in the world!
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Passenger

I may be the minority here but I gotta say if they had a cruise that had no one under 18 on board,I'd be all over it! I'm just throwin it out there folks!

Old April 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Admiral

I vote yes. We too our grandson on a cruise whrn he was 22 months. He still talks about "the ship".
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2
I vote yes. We too our grandson on a cruise whrn he was 22 months. He still talks about "the ship".
That is cute. He didn't call it a "boat"?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Passenger

A CHILD THAT YOUNG WILL HAVE NO MEMORY OF THE TRIP AND THE PARENTS CANNOT ENJOY THEMSELFS FULLY UNLESS THEY TAKE A NANNY WITH THEM. WE ALL NEED SOME TIME TO GET AWAY, WE NEVER TOOK OUR KIDS WHEN THEY WERE THAT YOUNG. WE TAKE THEM NOW, AND OUR GRANDKIDS TOO! BUT WE ALSO TAKE TRIPS ON OUR OWN OUR NEXT CRUISE IS IN OCT. IT'S 17 DAYS OUR LONGEST TO DATE.
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Passenger

In an ideal world that would work. I have no family near us to keep our child. so she is coming along.
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Yeoman

Question New Guy and others, are you saying you never took your children on vacation until they"grew up" and if you did, it was only to places that did not have other adults?

See I'm confused here, most people appear to think its okay to take young children or babies to a hotel / complex that does have other adults / people vacationing there. But not on a ship.... Why?

Honestly tell me the difference in your opinion. Mine is that some people "think" that crusing is for those that have already brought up their kids and now want or deserve "peace", leaving those with kids in an uncomfortable position.

mmmmmmm, short memories of how their kids may have seemed to others in the past and before they grew up and before they decided to now go "cruising".
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
so what a eyou do do with the young kids in the evening? Outside of Disney there is no kid's club, not all lines offer babysitting service. so what do you do? eat dinner and go to the show lounge if the show does not bore the kids-if they are bored-you go back to your room and HOPE there is a decent movie on tha tyou can watch in that cramped stateroom?
We have never had any problem keeping the kids in my family (ranging in age from 9 months to 17 years) entertained on either Princess or Carnival. In the evenings, they enjoy the show in the show lounge. Even my infants were mesmerized by the bright, colorful costumes and the singing and dancing. Then afterwards, we sometimes take them to the one of the smaller lounges where they enjoy dancing with grandpa and being doted on by the bar waiters with cokes piled high with cherries or up on deck where they enjoy a late night swim or a game of pingpong or shuffleboard by moonlight. And of course, the buffet is always a big hit with them late in the evening.

I can honestly say that no child (or adult) in my family has ever been bored on a cruise! In fact, the kids all agree that they would rather do a cruise than Disneyland! When you enjoy spending time as a family, it's really not hard to find things to do. Now, if you just want to dump the kiddies and spend time alone, well, then you might have a problem. But, that's not what I call a "family" vacation.