Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Default Sorry, what did you say !!

Glib title for something that I have thought about since reading the article.

Are you guys aware of this?

Okay dont want shot or killed, but where are the ear defenders in my cabin are they up beside my life jacket?

This relates to the Seabourn Spirit incident and the pirates.

The gripe being that even if the decibles are lower behind the machine, hey thats still a lot of sound, do they give a passenger warning "stick your fingers in your ears". I really dont know what I expect, one happy we have defense, but would not want to lose my hearing when it went off right beside me.

Please read from the BBC website, link below for the story, then we can discuss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4418748.stm
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Admiral

From what I understand it is highly directional and does not bother those it is not "aimed" at.
Jim
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Admiral

I hope if I am ever in the highly unlikely situation where I am under fire from Pirates at sea, that I have an LRAD so I can blast the bejeezes out of their eardrums. I think that they must have done something right since this could have turned out much worse.
Here is another article and Jim was right it is a very targetted weapon that is actually hand held, so it seems unless one is in the path of the weapon, there is little impact.
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...385048,00.html
By the way the fellow Charles Supple that was quoted in the article... is the Obstetrician who delivered me many moons ago...
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Beenie, Well I've looked at both pics yours included and that weapon is mounted, not hand held, hand directed yes. Plus on your article the person behind it is wearing ear defenders.

But if I read it right at the bottom of the BBC article even being aside the equipment you are still experiencing 110db of sound, thats a lot of noise. Like using a chain saw without ear protection.

Jim, noise is never highly directional, it can never be unless directed through a tube or container
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Geez I am getting glasses. I couldn't see the ear things untill I blew the picture up. I'd still rather have that thing on board than pirates. I guess my point is that if it is hand held or directed as you more correctly stated it has to be somewhat less severe on the person holding or directing the weapon than than its intended victim, otherwise it wouldn't be too effective.
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

According to the NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) and the CDC the "recommended" permissible time for exposure to 110 dB of noise is 1.875 minutes before the risk of permanent hearing damage will occur. 110 db is still the noise level of a chain saw or the average rock concert. I think a number of us have been to a few of those and can still hear fairly well. (I don't advocate using a chain saw or standing next to a Marshall stack without ear protection. Ask Pete Townsend or Roger Daltry)

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

I think within that amount of time you will put your hands over your ears or move behind the device or inside where the noise is at a tolerable decibel level.

I'm glad that they have this safety measure on the ship. I just hope that they don't put some guy on it and his last words are: "Which way are you supposed to point this thing?"

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Admiral

The unfortunate part about all of this is that now they are aware of it and will be using hearing protectors. I would personally like to see a person onboard who has trained some of the security forces to repel these types of attacks with lethel force. 8)
Jim
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
First Mate

Do you think 5" guns would be to extreme? Or at least forward and aft twin mounted 40's. I'm liking it already.
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Ma Duce and a few LAW's should suffice quite nicely I should think. Oh what the heck, toss in a 30mm chain gun right off a spare A-10. BRRRRRRRRT All gone!
Jim
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
Ma Duce and a few LAW's should suffice quite nicely I should think. Oh what the heck, toss in a 30mm chain gun right off a spare A-10. BRRRRRRRRT All gone!
Jim
My kind of thinking.

Back to the hearing thing for a bit. Hearing loss is a (not so) funny thing. It has many causes and just as many ramifications.

As to the incident we are talking about, if the person using this weapon was not using sound attenuators he would probably not have hearing loss caused from the one incident alone. Unfortunately hearing loss can be both progressive and/or cumulative. Certainly a number of such incidents would/could do some hearing damage.

The fortunate thing with hearing and its' loss is the amount of education that has been provided over just the past 40 years or so. As a youngster in the military, we never used attenuators while firing weapons (perhaps some cotton balls). By the time I retired it was sound attenuators over ear plugs. I am positive that it is even more stringent now. And all of this is the result of research and education.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Actually in truth, that is what I would rather have instead of relying on "technology" when sailing through potentially dangerous waters.

Full time crew members trained in the ability to use a bloody big machine gun, dragged out on a tripod!

They shoot first, end of story