Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why do people stand in line for dinner?

This question only applies if you have traditional fixed time seating for dinner. Why do people insist on getting to the dining room 20 minutes early to be the first in line?

If it is you, why do you do it?
Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Captain

I think some people do it because they don't know where they are going. That was me the first couple of cruises. Then I made it a point to learn where the dining room is and remember the route when first entering the ship. I still walk to the opposite end of the ship and have to turn around.

Karen
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Maybe because to get ready for the after-dinner show and dont' want to miss it...other than that, I dunno! Maybe people these days are conditioned to standing in line.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Admiral

it lends itself to a deep seeded insecurity that leads one to believe that they will miss something if they are not there when the door opens (VBG)

I think it's just part of the excitement of going to dinner at sea. It's like going out on a dinner date for 7 nights. It's an event that most everyone looks forward to and it adds to the spirit of adventure because you talk to people while you are waiting, share experiences etc

It's fun..or maybe, just maybe, they missed lunch and are hungry as heck (VBG)
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Here's a better question... Why does anyone care if they stand in line for dinner? If they want to hang around outside the dining room and visit...it doesn't bother me at all. I think too that people are conscious of the fact that if they are late to dinner it really creates timing issues for the waitstaff especially in first seating and their fellow diners if seated at a large table, where people generally wait until their tablemates join them before starting to dine. Perhaps they are trying to be polite and ensure they are not tardy. I think it is nice that they want to be a little early, rather than have people waiting for them and wondering if they can begin their meal or if so and so is even coming to join them for dinner.
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Admiral

I agree totally with beenie weenie.

These people may very well be enjoying themselves socializing before dinner.
Isn't that what a social thing like, "a public dinner" should be like?

It's a shame the cruise lines haven't looked at this situation from a different perspective?

There should be a pre dinner bar (with entree's) opened specifically for the pre dinner socialites? Then everyone can enjoy themselves if they want to

"Cant wait to go to that one?"

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Admiral

It's to check out what everyone else is wearing
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to banker Send a message via Yahoo to banker

Entrees?

Lombard, dude, how do you walk around a pre-dinner bar eating an entree? Back in my university days I did on occasion grab a steak right off the bbq and eat it with my hands, but we were a bunch of animals back then. I can't imagine doing that on a cruise.

banker
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
It's to check out what everyone else is wearing
Hi Jenn,
I forgot that part. Plus I have to strut around like a peacock after spending all that time getting ready.

Karen
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Yeoman

About the only time we end up standing around is when they do portraits. We go early to be sure to get one done withouth being rushed. If its more than a few minutes wait, then we will walk around until the doors open.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I guess my point is that I can't imagine anyone choosing to wait in line when they do not have to at all.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

But why do they line up for the midnight buffet when they just had dinner a couple hours prior? It never ceases to amaze me how they line up waiting to eat again as if they may miss some food and the opportunity to get their monies worth out of it.

I hate that bloated feeling from eating to much and it doesn't go well with looking good around the pool in my speedo.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Have to agree with Jenn, Karen and Alison

Iv'e really only noticed a LOT of people waiting for the second seating during formal portrait nights. Due to the fact that there are so many having their portraits taken, they can either go to the lounges or wait at the restaurant entry. Most seem to wait at the restaurant. I like the Mercury because the champaign bar and martini bars are right there by the restaurant.

And its fun to see what others are wearing and compliment them..as well as showing off a little..in this world we don't have many opportunities to dress up and look nice...everything is so casual.

I enjoy seeing past faces and meeting new friends. the "Gathering" is a chance to catch up on the days activities, and manybe make some new plans with your fellow cruisers.

As for the Grand buffet, I get in line early to take pictures..I pass out way before the eating frenzy starts..and it is hard to eat again after you've had the late seating.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Well, lets say that the dining room holds 1000 people. Lets say the door opens at 8pm. If all 1000 show up promptly at 8pm there will be one heck of a traffic jam, meaning a long line.
So, there will basically be a line one way or the other. I'm glad some show up early. It helps to get the mob through and seated with a minimum
amount of problems.
And as someone said, to some it's a time to visit and socialize, etc. We usually wait for about 5 minutes and by then the line is moving along and
we don't have to wait.

As I said, I can just imagine the mess if no one lined up early and then everyone descended on the dining room promptly at 8 or whatever time it opened.
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Admiral

We might show up right on time or we might show up 10 or 15 minutes early and socialize with our fellow guests. We do not 'line up' in any type of a line rather we mingle with the other passengers.
Jim
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Well, we like to show up early to be near the front of the line. That way we can work our way backwards minging with people. Mrs. Thomas engages them in conversation and I pick pocket them.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

LMAO Thomas!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM
First Mate

Why?

They are too cheap to go into a bar and buy a drink.

They are worried all the food will be gone by the time they get in.

They are trying to mingle inthe crowd and hide their cut offs and tank tops.

They have enver eaten in a nice restaraunt before and can't believe they use cloth napkins instead of those really cool paper one you can just throw away when done eatin'
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Beenie Weenie said it best! That is just what I was going to reply. Our group always goes to the dinning room area a bit early. We love to meet new friends and it's a great time to see where some of our fellow cruisers are all coming from. I don't see how this can bother anyone. No one makes you go early. To each his own! Just like I dont tell anyone what time they have to go to bed at night. It doesnt affect me what so ever. Some people just cant stay out of other peoples business. Or they just have to complain about everything! Happy cruising..........
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
First Mate

I always show up about 5 min before just to people watch.
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Yeoman

We now always choose anytime dining and and are never early or late for dinner. We love being on vacation and off schedule!! As long as we make it back on the ship by the time it leaves port , we follow no other schedule!

As for others waiting in lines, doesn't bother me in the least, but it doesn't look fun to me!
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Yeoman

Default Why are some people late for dinner?

We got back on 12/17 from our cruise on Jewel of the Seas. Seated next to us were two couples who were consistently late for dinner by at least a half an hour. People should realize that the waiters have to serve each course to their assigned tables. Our waiter was noticeably aggitated and we didn't blame him. This is inexcusable, but I guess there's always one who doesn't care. The "Its all about me" attitude.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Why do people stand in line for dinner, turning up 15 minutes before the doors open, that easy..

Its their choice and their time. They dont have a problem with it, so why should others worry or comment?

A cruise is what it is, do it your own way
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Good question. I have always asked myself that one. I love the idiots who love to get on the plane first. I just don't understand it. Is your part of the aircraft leaving before my part leaves? I wait until it thins out and board like a human rather than a animal.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Are those the same ones who stand up in the aisle of the plane before the seat belt signs are off? They are driven to get their stuff from the overhead bins and rush off the plane so they can stand for an hour at the baggage carousel - then they grab every piece of baggage as it comes down the chute just in case it's theirs - too funny. Like standing up is going to make the doors open faster lol. We love to people watch - the most entertaining ones seem to always travel with us tee-hee.

ttfn Jennifer
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Admiral

I can tell you about getting on a plane early. Before I retired from my corporate job I had to travel a lot by plane. I always had a carryon bag with all my clothes for the week which fit very nicely in the overhead bin.

One day I was travelling to Nashville and got on the plane a little late and there was no more room in the overhead bin for my bag, so the flight attendant told me she would stick it in the belly of the plane and I could pick it up on the jetway when we landed. No problem! I gave it to her.

Yep, you guessed it. It went to Baltimore. My medicines were in the bag. My toiletries. My clothes. Everything except what I had on my back, and fortunately my wallet, since 9 times out of 10 I put my wallet in the bag too but luckily this time I didn't. I was leading a meeting of 45 professionals the next day and had to cancel it by phone from the hotel room. Had I not had my wallet I wouldn't have been able to even get a hotel room for the night and would have been stuck in the airport all night until my bag arrived at 3:00 the next afternoon.

All because I was too late to get to the plane. Travelling on business is completely different than travelling on liesure.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I get on plane quickly for the reason Thomas gave. I have one carry-on and by golly I want to make sure I have some overhead room. Too often it gets crammed but those that make sure they carry on everything they can get away with! Getting on the ship we are also near the front as that is the first day of my cruise and I am ready for it to start! I get to dinner no later than 5 minutes after it starts but more often 5-10 minutes early to socialize with others, I will not stand in line but go sit somewhere closeby. That is being punctual and respecting my tablemates. Now getting off the ship....we are pretty near the last to get off as our luggage is pretty much sitting in the open and there are no crowds and and in the heck wants to get off the boat anyway! I have been offered VIP disembarkation a number of times and politely refuse. As for self-disembarkation....no way! I am not about to try and tote all my junk off the ship myself when they will do it for me!
Jim
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Admiral

How do you know they are there,,,,unless you are there too???? And if you are there too,,,,why?????
Just wondering.