Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Captain

Default Dirty room

I took a cruise and the mirror was dirty with spots and the ledge around the room had a thick layer of dust. I noticed it was never cleaned while I was in the room. It was like that from check-in. Did anyone else out there have a dirty room? How did you handle it. I just accepted it and lived with a dirty room. Next time I will ask the guy or lady to please clean it. It was a one time occurence out of ten cruises so maybe I will have to take ten more before I find another dirty room.

K
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Sailing Gal,

I'm surprised....what would make you accept a dirty room?? Cruises aren't cheap (well, maybe unless you WIN one!) but even then, who would want to live that way?? I would accept their offer of a free drink-of-the-day while I'm forced to wait outside while they spiffy it up....

Which cruiseline/ship was that on anyway????

Take care!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 27th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB
Default Re: Dirty room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing gal
I took a cruise and the mirror was dirty with spots and the ledge around the room had a thick layer of dust. I noticed it was never cleaned while I was in the room. It was like that from check-in. Did anyone else out there have a dirty room? How did you handle it. I just accepted it and lived with a dirty room. Next time I will ask the guy or lady to please clean it. It was a one time occurence out of ten cruises so maybe I will have to take ten more before I find another dirty room.

K
K.

Why would you do that? You paid for that room and with that payment has to come the assumption that it will be clean. If it is not, then complain. First to the room steward/ess. If they do nothing, then contact their supervisor, etc. etc.

You probably did have "one" of those poor stewards that pop up on occassion, but then his supervisor must not have cared a whole bunch either. You noticed the dust, dirty mirrors, etc. - certainly they would or should have on their inspection of the stewards work.

I would never, ever stand for a dirty room, either on a ship or in a hotel.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old December 27th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Captain

Jean writes,
Quote:
I would accept their offer of a free drink-of-the-day while I'm forced to wait outside while they spiffy it up....

Which cruiseline/ship was that on anyway????
This was on the Fascination 4 day cruise. Could I have gotten a free drink out of it? Ahh...I kick myself.
I wrote a note on the comment card but not quite sure why I didn't say something sooner. I mentioned it to my DH but he didn't even notice and thought I was being petty. Maybe I thought the steward might spit in our ice bucket, clean our glasses in the toilet bowl or something gross like that. Hey you never know.

K
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Doc has it right. You first contact the room steward and let them know that the room is not clean and it needs to be done right away. You do not have to be mean or demanding, just let them know that you will not tolerate a dirty room. If he/she does not clean it right away you speak to the Hotel Director and let him/her know what the problem is and that even after it was brought to the attention of the room steward it was not corrected. That will 99.99% of the time get it done and done quickly. If not then one more visit to the Hotel Director and the report that even though you hate to do it you will find it necessary to report this matter in the comment cards and in a written letter of complaint to the home office if this condition is not cleared up immediately. That will take care of the other .01%.
Jim
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Is it possible to request a different steward as well?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default dirty room

We have been on 5 Carnival cruises and have always had a clean room. We have left the cabin for an hour and come back and noticed the trash cans empty, so I know they are checking it often. I have repeatedly walked past cabins with the doors propped open and seen stewards on their hands and knees cleaning the bathroom floors or tidying the rooms.

I always keep our cabin and bathroom in nice order and put our wet towels in a small pile inside the shower and we keep our clothes put away. (I also do this in hotel rooms when we travel). My Mamma taught me not to leave a mess for someone else to clean up! If there is a special request or something needs attention, I leave a nice note on the bed or dresser for the steward and have always found the problem resolved when I return. I have passed by rooms that look like all the suitcases had exploded and wondered how on earth the stewards could clean anything and how the passengers even knew that they had been there.

We always try to meet our steward on the first day and spend a few minutes with him and always cordial to all the staff. They are some of the hardest working people I have ever encountered.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Yeoman

Honestly I doubt I would have said anything either, I just wouldn't have been bothered by a dusty ledge ! I think on a four day cruise on a cheap line that one could occaisonally not expect perfection. It is like geting a hotel room for 400 dollars a night versus one for 50 dollars a night. You can't hope for the same level of perfection.
On the other hand a dirty bathroom or dirty bed linens would have had me irate, a bit of dust is not a big deal, you could have just politely asked them to dust as you have allergies. If you were polite I doubt very much that they would have been vengeful.

We have always had a clean room , on Carnival and Princess, so it was just a freak occurence.
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Last summer my son and I were on the Carnival Legend out of NYC. We had one of the larger suites.. Upon arrival, even though the steward had "cleaned" the room, there were food crumbs on the sofa, the carpets were stained and most grossly of all, mold surounded the bathtub and shower. I called the steward in and pointed everything out. He and his assistant began cleaning. He was more than willing to leave the tub and shower as it was, moldy but I continued to complain. He then had maintenance come in, strip all the molding and re-caulk.

I won't ever book Carnival again because of this. The fact they allowed this room to become so bad really placed a bad impression.

This summer we will try the new Crown Princess.
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

I won't ever book Carnival again because of this. The fact they allowed this room to become so bad really placed a bad impression.

This summer we will try the new Crown Princess.[/quote]

But you have to remember evidently every guest before you let the dirty cabin slide by, they accepted it 'as is'! No one else complained, or if they did, they didn't follow through.

I think the lesson is: If you have a dirty room/bathroom/veranda or whatever...immediately bring it to the attention of the Stateroom Attendant...then the Chief Housekeeper, and be sure to follow through! Everyone benefits... you AND the next guest in that cabin.
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Personally i have never had a dirty room but on my last cruise, a few doors down the people kept complaining about there carpet being dirty, after cleaning it twice, they still complained so on the 3rd day the crew removed the carpet and relpaced it with new and a they also received a $200 ship board credit.
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Admiral

no excuses for a dirty room. They are cleaned at least once, some lines twice a day. All you needed to do was pick up the phone, call houskeeping.
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Hi LisaK,

That is what you're supposed to do, but I've always wondered...

If you call Housekeeping and complain, is the room steward going to be better, or hold a grudge and be even worse?

We had a terrible steward on our last cruise but I was reluctant to complain. (We're pretty laid back and non-complainers!)

Have you ever complained and had better service?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Fern,

Definitely. I have had better service when I have complained. I have only had to do it once on a cruise. It was on Ocean Princess and I complained to the Chief of Housekeeping. The service improved that evening and continued the rest of the cruise. Perhaps the smile may not have been as wide but the room was cleaner and the towels were there.

There have been times in hotels when I have complained and it hasn't helped and I have escalated and it has helped and there have been times it has been in vain.

The key to complaining is to do so in a constructive way and to be specific in what is wrong and what you want done to correct the problem. The other thing is to treat people in a respectful but firm manner. They are people not slaves.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Fern, i have found on our cruises that the vast majority of the housekeeping staff can't do enough to please you. Their jobs basically depend upon it. Negative comment cards can lead to dismissal.
Its the passengers that are rude, nasty, curt and obnoxious to the staff that put the staff off.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Passenger

........the squeaky wheel gets the oil..........

actually i'm an assistant manager at a movie theater - i know, not exactly on the same level as a cruise - but i can't tell you how many times i've seen comment cards for our theater or others in our district saying what an awful time they had. "the popcorn was bad" or "the person behind me kept talking" or "the sound quality was awful". then in the next sentence, they say "but we didn't want to miss our movie so we didn't tell anyone" or "i didn't tell anyone, i just dealt with it." obviously, if you don't tell anyone, nobody can do anything about it. the management at our movie theater is more than happy to remedy a situation for you - if you're nice to us (if you're not nice, we'll still fix it, but we will be "civil", not "more than happy" ) the majority of problems are sooooo easy to fix!
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Kuki & LisaK,

We always treat the cruise staff with respect! We had a wonderful room stewardess on our last Princess cruise. She was so friendly and always asked if we needed anything. When we saw her in the halls she always asked how our day went and what we did on shore. One evening I wasn't feeling well and she offered to get me anything I wanted from Room Service or a restaurant.

I think the room steward on our last cruise must have been at the end of his contract. He was surly and argued with me about whether our "Do Not Disturb" sign was out or not. (It wasn't, I was right, but either way he shouldn't have argued with me about it!) One day my DH wasn't feeling well and I told the steward to skip making up the cabin. He was not happy about that, which I thought was strange! On the first day we asked him to remove the hangers from the closet (we had our own). He moved them to a top shelf where we had to rearrange them to keep them from "rattling", and while we didn't need the space, we might have used it.

Because he acted so "weirdly" I was reluctant to complain.

Hopefully, this was a once in a lifetime thing as we've always had wonderful stewards until this cruise!

Sea Princess 2014
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Default dirty room

I am curious - do you think that the stewards get better as you go up the decks? We always book on the lowest deck because my husband, who has worked on boats, says that is the best place to be in rough weather. We have never had a good steward. On the last cruise we thought we would try the sugar route and praised him when he did well and gave him a large extra tip early on. Our service got worse, not better. Sheets not changed for 10 days, soap dishes never washed, towels missing, mold in shower never cleaned off, no dusting etc. etc. We went after him in a pleasant way for each problem but I think we should have gone to the head of housekeeping.
Our friends on the upper decks all said they had great stewards who kept their rooms really clean. Sigh, I would really like that. We are not super fussy but do like clean.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Fern,

I'm sorry. Even though I addressed my earlier post to you my comment about directing a complaint was made more for general information and not actually to you. I know you wouldn't be surly toward anyone.

Grdnr:

I don't think that because you have a lower grade cabin you automatically receive poorer service. The only complaint I ever had to make was when I was in an AB suite on Ocean Princess. I think it has more to do with the individual and, as Fern said, if they are at the end of their contract, or if they are feeling poorly, missing their family, fighting with their boy or girlfriend, or are just plainly bad. They are people and like people in any profession there are good ones and ones that aren't as good.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Fern, in your situation i would have definatley gone over your room stewards head and talked to his superior in housekeeping. This was an ongoing problem with that one particular steward, and it needed to be dealt with. The problem won't get fixed if nobody knows that its broken.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Maybe it is luck but i have always had the very best room stewards, although the cabin next to us complained about a carpet smell so they came and cleaned it within the hour, they still complained of the smell so right then and there the crew ripped out the old carpet and replaced it with new and they were given a $50 room credit.
the staff is there to please you.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Yeoman

Fern, you actually were upset that the room steward left the coat hangers in a place that you apparently didn't even NEED?
I think that is a wee bit petty.
It makes it much easier for him to just put them back when you leave, instead of storing them somewhere(utilitiy closet maybe?) and having to remember to put them back, and hoping no other steward gives them away to someone who requests " more hangers" . I mean were you trying to be difficult?
Sorry, I just can't see the fuss about the hangers, and obviously you still feel you were slighted by that as you have remembered it and posted it as a problem .

I am way more easy going then that, and interestingly , I have never had a bad experience with a room steward , hmmmm?
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Admiral

I sure wish that room steward I had on the Sovereign of the Seas could have cleaned all the rust in the shower.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Admiral

. said:

Quote:
Fern, you actually were upset that the room steward left the coat hangers in a place that you apparently didn't even NEED?
I think that is a wee bit petty.
It makes it much easier for him to just put them back when you leave, instead of storing them somewhere(utility closet maybe?) and having to remember to put them back, and hoping no other steward gives them away to someone who requests " more hangers" . I mean were you trying to be difficult?
Sorry, I just can't see the fuss about the hangers, and obviously you still feel you were slighted by that as you have remembered it and posted it as a problem.

I am way more easy going then that, and interestingly, I have never had a bad experience with a room steward, hmmmm?
pg, we are actually very laid back, easy going people. The room steward didn't know that we wouldn't need that space. On every other cruise we've taken when we asked for the hangers to be removed they've taken them out of our cabin. While we didn't need the space, I really didn't want to hear them "rattling" all night long!

Removal of the hangers is a very common request. It was really no big deal, just an example of how our room steward treated us. I wasn't "upset", just surprised that this would happen.

Sea Princess 2014
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
I am way more easy going then that, and interestingly , I have never had a bad experience with a room steward , hmmmm?
Yes that is interesting that you have never had a bad experience with a room steward,hmmmm?

K
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to emjsea Send a message via Yahoo to emjsea

Fern,
Having the hangers removed may seem silly to some, but it was a simple request and quite easy to fulfill. At cruise prices, the customer should be king or queen and those hangers should have been removed, and with a smile. Not an unreasonable request at all. After all, if they'll replace a carpet for people who don't like the smell, I'd think the hangers would be easy.

--------------------
2006 ATLANTIS, RCCL, Navigator of the Seas
2005 Costa, Mediterranea
2004 Carnival, Imagination
2003 Carnival, Imagination