Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can certainly say that when my wife was injured on the Seranade with an injury that took over 14 months to recoup from, the care she had received on the ship for 11 days was excellant. The cost over the 11 days was under 1700.00. That included one overnight stay. 5 examinations, one cast, several xrays, one shore transport to the hospital, crutches and wheelchair. There were several prescriptions written and there was a few IV drips.
The care was great from two Doctors and two nurses. I can not imagine what a Hospital would have cost for the same treatment. I do not know what anyone could have done better for her then the crew on that ship.

One half day at the hospital on shore for which 3 xrays were given was 980.00. There was an IV but that was about it.

The injury happened from a slip on the tile floor at the elevators.

I will tell you what the worst part of the hole thing is. We still have not received anything from our secondary insurance yet. The travel insurance company keeps asking for more forms and papers. RCCL has also passed the buck for the last 18 months and will not call me back after we call them. The claims rep is never available when we call and then they take our name and number and say they will review the file and call us back. They never do. The last time I called was Tuesday. Still waiting for a call.
Insurance company wants me to resubmit my medical forms to my primary insurance one more time.
I believe in the travel insurance but I fell into cracks on my claim.
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wow Pipefit, they are still jerking you around on this? You have my sympathy on that. I'm sorry that it's taken so long. I'm glad that at least the care you received was good. I know that Mrs. Pipefit was one heck of a trooper through it all. She's tough!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Emergancy Care Skills

I am a recently retired RN who sustained a severe ankle sprain while climbing Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica in 2004, while on a cruise on the Coral Princess.
The medical attention I received onboard was very good. In chatting with the clinic nurse, I asked her what emergency training was required for the medical staff, I learned that all of the medical team was required to be certified in ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support), the same as I was required to have as a nurse in a critical care area of the hospital I worked at. In the event of a true emergency, that is very reassuring.
The physician and the nurse were very professional, as well as caring and personable. As an added bonus, my care cost less than $100.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Yeoman

Flamo, Under 100 dollars seems reasonable for a severe strain, I assume they x rayed and wrapped it for you?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, they did both of those, plus cleansed and treated several nasty abrasions and gave me a tiny tube of antibiotic ointment and several gauze dressigs so I could change the dressings on the abrasions.
I really was favorably impressed.

flamomo
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Yeoman

Well Flamomo, you sound like you did in fact get good treatment at a non gouged price. Some of the other posters on this site paid alot more for alot less.