Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
little known history fact..our current president has a tatoo down his right arm and it says

"brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" (VBG)
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

The real question from a man that has his entire upper body covered in tatts (pic in gallery for those who are curious) is when and where are they appropriate on a ship? I will be going on my first cruise in May to Alaska, so its not like I will be lying on a beach. Nor would I walk around any of the dining rooms or bars in a short sleeve shirt. However, the spa and out on deck is a different story. Any comments from my fellow inked cruisers would be appreciated.

Now as to the non-inked among us:

-I was not drunk; few artists would work on someone whose drunk-you bleed like a stuffed pig

-I carefully plan out each tattoo

-Each one is special in its own way

-I show them off when asked

-It doesn't offend me when someone does not like them; what fun would it be if everyone had them?

-Yes I'm addicted and will be starting my lower body this year

-My superiors at work knew when they hired me

-If I live to 90, how my tatts look will be the least of my concerns; no they probably won't be pretty to look at, but neither will the rest of me
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Admiral

you know in some cultures of the world..tatoo's are a tribute to their heritage
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Very well said, Seattleguy. As someone who is also inked, I too am addicted. I only have two now but will get more.

Caribbean Village Playa Dorada: Dominican Republic All Inclusive
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
Passenger

I retired from the military, but never had the desire to get a tatoo. I do think some,on women, are somewhat sexy. As long as they are tasteful ie., roses, butterflies etc. Don't go overboard and put them on arms or legs. Keep to Breast, hip, below the waste, even some on the lower back looks nice. But think about down the road, the ones you got at 20 on places that will eventually sag may not look the same at 40 and may eventually need to be removed.

My understanding is that they don't hurt as much going on as they do coming off.

Explorer 02-06
Mariner 04-06
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I can tell you that they hurt like *&^% going on. And I don't ever plan on finding out how they feel coming off

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Roses on the breast may eventually become longed stemmed.
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Venice,

Is some countries and cultures, being obese is a sign of wealth. It means you don't have to do manual labor and are very well fed. This was true in Ancient Greece.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Admiral

DTW..I know having been to Greece 6 times and a student of history..this was also the case in the Roman Empire

Cultural differences are really interesting in other countries..I think part of our country's problem is that we don't understand another nation's cultural and norms and we think we are right and try to impose our will

In some cultures, men who wear speedos are treated like Gods or rock stars even
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Venice, that's one tradition I'm glad we don't follow

Old February 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Darn, guess I'll never be treated like a god or rock star. I might have rocks thrown at me!
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
i have a very pretty tattoo - a colorful butterfly on my shoulder blade. it was my gift to myself on my 40th birthday. .
I'm taking the maiden voyage of the Freedom of the Seas in celebration of my 40th birthday. Have always wanted a small tattoo, but never settled on what...I'm finicky. Anyway, I think for my 40th birthday I might do a 4-leaf clover in the small of my back or on my hip (somewhere easily concealed).

Thing is, I know nothing about the care of a tattoo. If I was to get one right in the middle of the cruise (ie: in Grand Cayman), would it be a PIA (pardon the pun) for the rest of the cruise?

Tracy
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Zotzer, all you have to do is put lotion on it once or twice a day for about 1 to 2 weeks. I used Lubriderm. It's pretty simple. Welcome to the Tat community

Old February 9th, 2006, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDMan
Zotzer, you have to do is put lotion on it once or twice a day for about 1 to 2 weeks. I used Lubriderm. It's pretty simple. Welcome to the Tat community
Thanks DMan!
I was afraid that I couldn't get it wet or it would require fancy care and a bandage or something. Don't want it to impede my cruisin' fun!

Will have to remember to post a picture if I go through with it!
Tracy
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you show me your's, I'll show you mine . If I was you I would put lotion on it a lot since your going to be out in the sun a bunch. As far as getting it wet, that's no big deal. I will tell you a secret, as soon as you can after you get it take hot shower. As hot as you can stand. I don't really know why, but a buddy told me to do it and my new tat has really kept its color.

Old February 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
If you show me your's, I'll show you mine .
You have a DEAL!

Quote:
as soon as you can after you get it take hot shower. As hot as you can stand. I don't really know why, but a buddy told me to do it and my new tat has really kept its color.
Great tip...I'll have to remember that. Of course, the hot shower will have to wait until after I get silly drunk at Senor Frogs, which I plan to do directly after my tattooing.

Tracy
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to canadiandrummerchick

as someone from the newer generation, i'm only 17, and i plan on getting a tat as soon as i can. i think it's just a generation thing. just like the whole bellbottoms and platform shoes thing. lmao i actually like tattoos, and the stories behind them. i wouldn't mind seeing a guy lying on the beach covered in ink. i find it attractive, but then again, it's just me.

there is a teacher at my school that has two full sleeves that he shows his class every year. he is considerate and keeps them covered during school, but they are tastefully done, and actually really cool. another thing you have to remember is the person and storybehind them. this guy is a respectable teacher who is married and has a really cute 3 year old, and most of his tats represent his hard life growing up. so next time you see an inked up person, ask them about their tats, and they'll probably tell you the story behind it.
Carnival Valor - January 8th, 2006
Carnival Triumph - January 1st, 2005
~~~~~~~~~
www.myspace.com/laurandhearts
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Yeoman

Oh God us old foggies, when will we ever learn. That having a tattoo or not.... "it's just a generation thing, just like the whole bellbottoms and platform shoes thing"

Excuse me, but tats have been around for all for a very long time and I do note fashion seems to be going back to stuff I did in 1974 -1977. Like platforms and bellbottoms Why do todays young keep trying to reinvent things already done by us And then tell the guys that did it first time round, "YOUR OLD and BORING 8)

When will they do something that is different for example I went through the Beatles and Stones years and it's dress/style, went into hippy, then seen others into glam rock, and then for me into the new romantic era, ibut missed punk and it goes on....but nothing new or different or exciting from these guys 8)

Tats have always been a personal choice and were available when I was your age. Just that a lot of us and even when my mates got them done when in the military as a Badge for where we had been, some of us didn't and personally I did not need the permanent reminder of the experience on my skin 8) .

Tasteful or not and it is a personal thing, but not for me. Plus how sad if you have to recollect your life based on what you had written on your skin at that time. Bet there have been plenty of men now and then, that just wished they had not got a tat of the X wife on their arm

See sometimes it's done for the wrong reason, mood at the time, or just stupidity because you feel left out if you dont do it. If you do it, do it for the right reason, but having one or ten tats, does that make you socially unacceptable, of course not.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Ah yes, it’s a generational issue. And isn’t it always………

In my advancing age, I believe many things. I believe the sun will rise tomorrow, I believe that if we have faith in each other we’ll find a way to get through it, and I believe I am right most of the time.

And I believe people have the right to adorn themselves as they choose.

Rather arrogant of me, wouldn’t you agree?

And yet, I am too often appalled by what I’ve seen. I’ve seen things that shouldn’t be seen. Body art, taken too far isn’t always a good thing.

And so this is the way I see it.

There are reversible choices and there are irreversible choices. As our young Canadian lady points out, bellbottom jeans and platform shoes may currently be out of fashion; but fashions come and go. And yet, our garments aren’t permanently affixed to our bodies. Fashions come and go, but fashion mistakes can be corrected. Not so with body art.

Once the ink dries, there’s no going back. Youthful indiscretions aren’t so easily corrected.

For better or worse, body art is a choice. If you ask me, choices are a good thing. And yet choices that can be undone are better than those that can’t.

Fashions change, times change, and people change. And if tomorrow is going to be different than today, I’d like to be able to change with the times.

Dean
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

if you ask me, the majority of the people who are inked do it for a good reason, not some drunken night...
~~~~~~~~~
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Yeoman

Okay, I'll take the bait and ask the question what is the good reason that the majority of people get inked?

I'm really interested
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

okay, seriously, i do not know why i am getting into this, but the majority of people get inked for remembrance to someone or something, or to signify something special in their lives. You should really watch Miami Ink or something like that. Tattoos are more than just a mistake. It's Art.
~~~~~~~~~
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yeoman

AS for why you got into it, well you dragged a dead buried thread for comment, not us

So no difference then from why people did it 20, 30 or 50 years ago and even then it was seen as "personal art".

So its back to personal acceptance., some like to see and have it, and some dont..

Personally, for all my social acceptance, if I meet a person covered in "art" or piercings" I think why? Is this person trying to make some sort of statement here, what is it?

As for getiing inked to "remember" I can do that in my head without having to read it on my body as a reminder

Again on a personal stance I find people that get "inked" have issues, and most of them are "look at me" as I now stand out from the crowd and my skin has a message that I cant communicate verbally.
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Well, David, I have 6 beautiful tattoos, none that can be seen unless I want you to. And I hardly think my Tinkerbell or baby tiger tattoo has a message that wants to be communicated. I just think they are a beautiful work of art!

I see many people come into the parlor when I am there, business men and women, various other people that probably wouldn't fit your pre-conceived notion of those who like to get inked.

My husband and I met a man who attends tattoo expos on a regular basis. His entire face is tattooed, and he is one of the nicest, kind, interesting and more pleasant people you would ever want to meet! Now how many "normal" looking people can you say that about??

I'm sorry for your pre-conceived notions of people who liked to get inked. Im sure there are more people who have tattoos that you deal with on a regular basis that you don't even know about!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Julia,
Loved your post. That is SO funny!
I never thought I would find tat's romantic. I like the artistic ones. Like any form of art, the beauty depends on the artist. But, the heart with a name in it...not so much.
However, my husband is a hand drummer. He always had to take his wedding ring off for every gig. Not only was it uncomfortable, but a ring can split a drum head in a heartbeat. So, a few years ago, he came home one day with a tattoo...of a wedding ring on his ring finger. Said he hated not being able to wear his ring when performing. Romantic? You bet!
Marty
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

the only reason i brought this thread back up was because i wanted to voice my opinion on this issue!
~~~~~~~~~
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

So still here then

My opinion, like the rest is only personal opinion, not right. not wrong. So guys whatever Do what makes you personally happy.

But someone has twisted this here, yes have your personal "hidden ink", no problem.

But walk about wearing a open inked statement as a mobile art show for others, then sorry but I have a problem, same as elderly men that still wear SPEEDOS around the pool.... its not right

It's just something in me, . maybe I am of an age that grew up with people in tats (not for fashion), and how they were as people,,,,socially, but that is only my opinion or view and as one person it does not mean that I speak for the world.

But for a lot of people of my age....it gives an up front opinion of that person and their mentality, actually for a lot of "inked people" I think that one still stands, but I listen further to what comes out their mouth and not see what is only on their skin. There are exceptions...

So maybe "inked people" should give us a guide as to the type of ink that the good and the bad guys do...just so we know who is doing it for fashion, and even who is doing it for presence . It would help us that are not up to speed
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Admiral

I prefer the body that God gave me unaltered by brightly colored ink or holes with strange metal things inserted in them. However, if others choose to mutilate themselves, it doesn't bother me at all.

I have to confess that I might be a bit turned off by observing a person with metal in their lips and tongue trying to eat their dinner.

There are temporary tatoos available and if they were customized, it might provide a nice alternative to a permanent inking. It would be cheaper and people could select whatgever seems appropriate.

Live and let live, ink and let ink, pierce and let pierce, does it really matter?
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
So still here then

My opinion, like the rest is only personal opinion, not right. not wrong. So guys whatever Do what makes you personally happy.

But someone has twisted this here, yes have your personal "hidden ink", no problem.

But walk about wearing a open inked statement as a mobile art show for others, then sorry but I have a problem, same as elderly men that still wear SPEEDOS around the pool.... its not right

It's just something in me, . maybe I am of an age that grew up with people in tats (not for fashion), and how they were as people,,,,socially, but that is only my opinion or view and as one person it does not mean that I speak for the world.

But for a lot of people of my age....it gives an up front opinion of that person and their mentality, actually for a lot of "inked people" I think that one still stands, but I listen further to what comes out their mouth and not see what is only on their skin. There are exceptions...

So maybe "inked people" should give us a guide as to the type of ink that the good and the bad guys do...just so we know who is doing it for fashion, and even who is doing it for presence . It would help us that are not up to speed
Hey David,

Why not take the non superficial route and judge each person individually from what you hear and how they act. there are no differences between 'inked people' and non-inked people. Making a statement that people who get inked have 'issues' is a fairly predudiced statement. and asking for input from 'inked' people is also ridiculous. Maybe you should ask all the women who wear earrings if they have issues. maybe the non earring world think they have issues. Wait.. maybe the boxer wearing people have issues.. the brief wearing people must think so. And since I dont like to wear a hat.. I think hat wearing people have issues....

Unbelievable thread here. It makes me sad how superficial people are. If someone has 20 tattoos, 10 piercings and wearing all black I would think exactly the same as if that person had a 3 piece suit and no tattoos or piercings... which means I would reserve judgement until I found out about the person.

people with tattoos have issues? Inked people should give us a guide???

geeze.... how sad
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Good post, hftmrock!

Much more easy to be prejudicial than to make the effort to look inside a person's soul and personality, for that takes work & effort! SO much easier to judge the person from the outside, that way you don't have to make any attempt to learn more about someone who is different from you. And THAT is the problem with the world today...

Reminds me of a VERY touching photo I saw shortly after 9/11. It showed a young Dutch man. Mohawk, multiple piercings and tattoos, someone very different from myself. The thing we had in common though, so far from where I reside, is that he was sobbing intensely at a candle memorial for the 9/11 victims. This photo affected me very strongly.

I would rather spend time with this obviously very sympathetic and caring person tha some of the "normal" people you see these days who have no qualms about doing terrible things to people.

So take the time and look inside, put forth a bit of effort and you may be pleasantly surprised.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas