Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Passenger

If someone wants to get a tatoo, that's their choice. It is their body.

If I had a teenager who wanted one, I'd encourge them to get pierced instead. Piercings can be removed.

My financial advisor told me that people are on the outlook to invest in a technology that will painlessly remove tatoos and restore the skin to its original condition. I'd invest in that technology. Hopefully it'd pay off and I could take more cruises!!

Dan
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Admiral

djstrachan,

So if your teenager wanted to get a tattoo or a tongue piercing, you would encourage the tongue piercing?? That is SO dangerous and risky! Infection, swollen tongues, difficulty breathing and damaged teeth due to the jewelry!

**edited by moderator for unsuitable comments***

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I have found that women with a lot of body tats tend to be more faithful, obedient and makw better lovers.
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Passenger

I got my first tat when I was 25. Second I was 30. third I as 33, fourth 35. My next one...Winter of 07 I hope.
Jane S. rock on!
All of mine I drew and designed myself. They all have meaning and I will never regret them. I work for a credit union and the CEO even changed our personnel policy so that my tattoos could be shown!
But my tattoos aren't what people stare at, it is my girlfriend who is holding my hand. Shocker! She was 42 when she got her first one (same day I got my fourth)
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstrachan
If someone wants to get a tatoo, that's their choice. It is their body.

If I had a teenager who wanted one, I'd encourge them to get pierced instead. Piercings can be removed.

My financial advisor told me that people are on the outlook to invest in a technology that will painlessly remove tatoos and restore the skin to its original condition. I'd invest in that technology. Hopefully it'd pay off and I could take more cruises!!

Dan
I am not sure if you are saying you have tattoos and now you dont like them anymore or you got them removed and it is now unsightly...

In any case, please know that if people are worth anything, they will not judge you whether it is a scar you are hiding or a tattoo.

We have only a finite time on this earth and we need to make the most of it and do whatever it is that makes us happy. Please consider doing what makes you happy (cruising) and ignoring anyone who might look at scars or tattoos in a negative light. Be proud that your scars and your art is on the outside and the people who look negatively at you have the scars on the inside which is much worse.
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Flame me if you wish , but I think that multiple tatoos or body percings are ugly just as you may think that the top of my bare head is ugly.
Some people think that all babies are ugly and others think that all babies are beautiful. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I really don't care if others get piercings or tatoos, but it is unfortunate if you have something permanent done to your body and later want to change it. That includes people getting fat lips or ladies enhancing their bosoms. I believe tht the best cosmetic surgery or body alteration is exercise. It is good for your health and sustains what God gave you.

I tend to appreciate people for what they are inside, but I still have feelings about what I observe. I won't judge you for what you have done to yourself, and please don't judge me for my opinion.

Tiny Tim once said "You are what you eat!" That could have a lot of different meanings.

Live and let live and tyou will live longer!
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Passenger

I, for one would never ever flame someone for their opinion... you dont like tattoos... cool.. not a big deal..

Now, if you said you would treat someone differently because they had a tattoo or piercing or if you say you could NEVER be a friend to someone who had a tattoo or piercing, Or if you say 'inked people are twisted' or if you start a sentence with "maybe inked people should give us...." then I say you are predudice and superficial.

There are lots of things people do, wear, or have that I dont like but I never judge anyone on that or treat anyone differently because of it..

Having a difference of opinion is what makes the world go round...

It would be bad for me to say, I steer clear of bald folk because they tend to be 'XXXX' (fill in your bad attribute here) .. That would make me superficial.
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yeoman

Paul

hftmrock, you took a view of me based on one line that stood out for you, that is bad, you never read my other posts or took time to balance my thoughts, plus you dont know me as a person, we have never talked or met!

So who is pointing the finger now? and based only on "what you THINK you want presented with from ME".....so I'm an easy target if you choose to ignore the rest of my input, so not the the complete picture...is it? regarding ME. So who is being superficial now? Did you consider that?

Anyway, whatever

As for hippies and candles and what lies beneath, again whatever. I work, they dont and they dont care. So I dont get emotional about one of them holding a candle.
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Paul

hftmrock, you took a view of me based on one line that stood out for you, that is bad, you never read my other posts or took time to balance my thoughts, plus you dont know me as a person, we have never talked or met!

So who is pointing the finger now? and based only on "what you THINK you want presented with from ME".....so I'm an easy target if you choose to ignore the rest of my input, so not the the complete picture...is it? regarding ME. So who is being superficial now? Did you consider that?

Anyway, whatever

As for hippies and candles and what lies beneath, again whatever. I work, they dont and they dont care. So I dont get emotional about one of them holding a candle.

Not superficial to start to base a feeling by what someone SAYS... it is what you have said that led me to my statements... Not your hat, not your shoes, not the color of your skin, not the brand of your underwear or if you had a tattoo or not. I read ever single word in this thread.. it led me to my opinion.... and YES I do make some general opinions when someone speaks... I suspect most people do at least a little bit. I dont find that superficial at all. I might now know you but you are portaying yourself here.

If I made comments for a whole paragraph and in the paragragh I put one sentence where I said 'all people who cruise are idiots'. people might not know me but they sure would get an opinion of me real fast... thats not superficial..

(and by the way, I love cruising and people who cruise... the above paragraph was an analogy...)
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Yeoman

Whatever

But again like so many I can pick out one line, here is yours "people that cruise are idiots"...please tell me what was that analogy?

You see I sometimes dont take the time to read your other posts, I just jump onto "something". But hey do I care about your opinion, yes, will it change my view, well thats up to you to tell me why it should, so far no real reason

Here right now on this, think of me what you like but I'm debating people with "tats"!!!

Your are so clever and verbal and love cruising, so post a new thread on "YOUR" subject that we can use to move away from this crap.

Go on
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Gee, DavidBgood, now how is it that you know that the pierced, tatooed and mohawk-styled guy is a hippie and doesn't work?? Hmmm, wish I had your ESP talent!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Familiar Face

Reading through this thread got me curious regarding my son (who is home from his junior year of college for Christmas break). So I just now asked him if he every thought about getting a tattoo. I liked his reply. He told me that during his senior year of highschool, he designed a tattoo, and told himself that if he still liked the design in two years, he would get the tattoo. (I was not aware of that before this conversation). He went on to say that he did indeed pull out the design 2 years later, and was happy that he had not gotten the tattoo.

No judgement from me either way regarding tattoos. I just liked my son's way of taking a good long time to think it through.
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyann
Reading through this thread got me curious regarding my son (who is home from his junior year of college for Christmas break). So I just now asked him if he every thought about getting a tattoo. I liked his reply. He told me that during his senior year of highschool, he designed a tattoo, and told himself that if he still liked the design in two years, he would get the tattoo. (I was not aware of that before this conversation). He went on to say that he did indeed pull out the design 2 years later, and was happy that he had not gotten the tattoo.

No judgement from me either way regarding tattoos. I just liked my son's way of taking a good long time to think it through.
Your son sounds like a very bright young man... One of my 2 tattoos was something that I have wanted since I was in my teens. I got it when I was 37 and still wanted it just as much as when I was a teen. My other tattoo is 2 interlocking hearts with both my childrens names in it... It is something I can tell you with 100000000% certainty I will never regret it.
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Quote:

Whatever

But again like so many I can pick out one line, here is yours "people that cruise are idiots"...please tell me what was that analogy?

You see I sometimes dont take the time to read your other posts, I just jump onto "something". But hey do I care about your opinion, yes, will it change my view, well thats up to you to tell me why it should, so far no real reason

Here right now on this, think of me what you like but I'm debating people with "tats"!!!

Your are so clever and verbal and love cruising, so post a new thread on "YOUR" subject that we can use to move away from this crap.

Go on

you miss the point... I am not trying to change your opinion. I dont care about your opinion frankly. You seem to think there is something wrong with people who have tattoos. I dont have the patience to explain how wrong that is.

I will continue to post my opinion to the people who might not like tattoos but have not decided that ALL inked people have issues..

Please dont take offense if I ignore any further of your posts in this thread. My mom taught me if you dont have anything nice to say...

Have a nice day David
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

, unfortunately in life and if you have an opinion it is not always NICE in some other peoples eyes including your Mom (respect), but it is only an opinion after all.

If people do not discuss and debate personal views and all think the same, then it becomes a club...I hate clubs, people all thinking the same way 8). Plus it is dangerous to ignore the others and their thoughts,,,always talk and open your mind to opinion.

We may never agree on certain things in life, but hey thats life!
But I respect your honest view, it may not be the same as mine, but that as they say is understanding of others. You take care, your okay 8)
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
AS for why you got into it, well you dragged a dead buried thread for comment, not us

So no difference then from why people did it 20, 30 or 50 years ago and even then it was seen as "personal art".

So its back to personal acceptance., some like to see and have it, and some dont..

Personally, for all my social acceptance, if I meet a person covered in "art" or piercings" I think why? Is this person trying to make some sort of statement here, what is it?

As for getiing inked to "remember" I can do that in my head without having to read it on my body as a reminder

Again on a personal stance I find people that get "inked" have issues, and most of them are "look at me" as I now stand out from the crowd and my skin has a message that I cant communicate verbally.
David! that was a good one.
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Beginner

I am not a fan of tattoos particularly on women. I think they are for the most part not classy.
I heard a talk show guest, a young man perhaps 27-30 years old, discussing his views on women with tattoos. I think he nailed it.
He stated that his beautiful girlfriend kept talking about getting a tat on her lower back above where her low rising jeans stop. He told her
"Honey, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Mercedes"
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Admiral

What about on a semi?
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Yeoman

Hello, hello, where have all the stand up for TATS brigade gone, your having a laugh, no way us old gets with limited memory and social skills could have won this social attititude debate on this...or maybe for once we did.

Am I tugging your chain, piercing or whatever, ,mmm yes. But silence is acceptance. so agreed tats and piercing's to the "normal" person are "get out of here"
8)
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to BabyD

I have a question regarding this, im a massage therapist coming onto a cruise in March to work..

I have a small tattoo on my ankle that will not be noticeable with uniform on, but one small one on my inner wrist that will be seen..

It means "baby" and is written in Arabic Transcript, and means alot to me..

If you were going for a massage with me, would it put you off? or would you rather i had a plaster (bandaid) coveing it so it wasnt seen, but would affect your massage?

I think it an extremely pretty tattoo and as i say, means alot, but what would you prefer on a therapist??

Picture link below if anyone is curious to how big it is..

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...nze/tattoo.jpg
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Passenger

this is a pretty bad site that lets David bait people into posting more and then when I call him on it my post gets deleted.

I was not attacking him. He said all people who have tats have issues..
Quote:
prej·u·dice /ˈprɛdʒədɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prej-uh-dis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -diced, -dic·ing.
–noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
since he has no idea why all people do it and has stated such a remark, it is 100% legit to say this. I defy any admin here to look at that definition and his remarks and tell me it doesnt fit.

is this what this forum is about... censorship... Newbies cant tell someone who has been here his opinion? Only certain gripes get posted??

Again.. I did not attack anyone. I read his comments, looked up the word in the dictionary and put 2 and 2 together.

And worse yet is no one here has the dignity to tell my why my post was deleted?

Pretty sad.. Someone can say "All People..... Have issues" and that is not seen as a red flag for a forum... but my posts were... I have been at MANY forums and have thousands and thousands of posts and this is the first time any of my posts have ever been deleted..

pretty sad on the person that deleted it. that is plain censorship. What happens if I say I take offense to the remarks that David made?? Does his posts get deleted??? I doubt it
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Beginner

I have read these posts on gripes for a long time now and the guy that made it work has gone. but thats his choice. But now I will have a say from me.

This guy david did not bait in my view. because he made it interesting. But you have people like htmrock that did not get it and all they offer is a link to their gambling site. Have a look at the site and give him a reaction. Using crisemates to publish gambling is sad. Give me the honesty and good honest talking of davidbgood any day.

I just wish he could have tackled you on this, but having you both being bully's in opinion just puts people like me off posting. Make it nicer these gripes. I did have the chance to read some subjects before deletion and I would say he learned the game to not be deleted and you did not, that may answer your question on why and you are presenting words and dictionarys that I cannot find he said as an explanation for this.

In your picture on your gambling site I see your picture with plenty medical stuff and no tattoos. Why are are you so bothered on this
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

what the heck are you talking about... first of all i do have a link in my sig but I dont ask anyone to click on it nor do I push anything...

secondly I posted in this particular thread because I have 2 tattoos and you might think David is 'joking' but I didnt. So I posted my opinion.. is that not allowed?

I and going on a cruise in April and came here to get information and read as much as I can.

I just happened on this one and posted my opinion and if you read some people agreed with me as well..

are they bad people too???

unbelievable that you can get people attacking you and not even on subject.

a real shame.....

Edit: - and I removed the link so people dont get the wrong impression like the above poster. I have always just put my link when I join a forum (which is not that many.) But I see I have to watch out for people like the poster above...

and the picture you saw was me donating platelets to the red cross... guess thats bad too huh????

and since this topic has gone off the original posters issue... I will no longer respond....

Have a nice day all
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Beginner

Pleased you are now embarrassed by your link that you gave to gambling not only for the sake of it, but FOR THE FACT YOU actually own the site, its www... ( I remember)

You see, most of us can see a tattoo, smell a drunk, smell a smoker, but never pick out a gambler, it's hidden shadow people, really sneaky.

So you gamble and have tatoos, okay it's your life

I did not say you pushed it on others, you just offered a link to it and althought you deleted it when scared. we can ....

Yes, its unbelievable what some people can read into comment of others.

Can I ask a question, have you ever been on a cruise, not counting this coming April? Well!!

That one for davidbgood and me, regarding a pusher of gambling telling me or him or people with values "anything" regarding values. wake up.

We now know you as a person
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Well, I am with DavidB and Paul B as I posted on the first page of this over a year ago. A year later and I am still tattoo free and proud of it. In fact, I like walkling across the pool deck onboard and having a clean canvas. I see alot of people get tattoos and for many it seems a way to belong or to look cool.

As Canadian Druumer Girl says, "it's like bell bottoms or platform shoes" NOT! You can changed your pants, your shoes and cut your hair and shave that silly little goatee off of your face but tatts are forever.

You guys do whatever you want but eating well and exercising gets my body noticed. Not staining it with multicolored ink.

It is a fad and seems to be peaking at the moment but when it goes the way of the hula hoop, you can't simply throw it in the garage or attic with your bell bottoms and platform shoes.

Ok, enough said.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Admiral

Holy smokes, this thing got kinda ugly all of a sudden…………

Must we all be reminded about being able to separate the person from the behaviour?

Whatever happened to intelligent discourse? Whatever happened to expressing our views without attacking contrary ones? Whatever happened to civility…….?

Whatever happened to “I’m not sure about your body art, but I’m sure about you??

Tattoos are not the be-all or end-all of life. Some people have them, some don’t. So what? Is this a topic that’s worth getting this worked up about?

I mean, with all the vitriol, and mean-spirited posts flying about, I was beginning to wonder if we were all discussing Armageddon, or some other end-of-the-world topic. I had to check my web browser to make sure it was still on CruiseMates……

We’re all in this thing together, people. When all hell breaks loose, I don’t care if the guy next to me is tattooed – I only care that he cares.

Tattoos are window-dressing on the soul. And next to that, window-dressings aren’t so important.

Dean
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Yes, I have bad habits too. I smoke, drink and womanize but I can quit if I want ....... well, on second thought, nah, I like it. But I can always get sober, can't take off the tattoo too easily.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

I see Internet claims that Theodore and daughter Alice both had tatoos, but no disclosure as to where they were and no source for the claims cited. Can you cite a credible source for the claim that Theodore Roosevelt had a tatoo?

Thanks from a father of one of one of his distant cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn1
Teddy Roosevelt had a tattoo.

J
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Admiral

A BUMPER STICKER is too permanent for me, let alone a tatoo.
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Beginner

They always say that the difference between tattoo'd people and people without ones are that those of us that have them don't care that you don't. .
I am a female with two. I have one going down the upper part of my arm. I am an excutive and working on my graduate degree. I hate the idea of being judged because I like tattoo's. Oh well I suppose that isn't my problem. I keep mine covered for work out of respect for my position but when I'm on my own time watch out. 8) Don't judge a book by it's cover you will miss out.