Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Never much had any use for tatoos, although I see many among the dive folk. You can mark special occasions with a tatoo, but I prefer to just buy a watch and stick that on my arm. When I look at my watch I am reminded of the cruise it was bought on. It is always Island Time for me. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat25
They always say that the difference between tattoo'd people and people without ones are that those of us that have them don't care that you don't. .
I am a female with two. I have one going down the upper part of my arm. I am an excutive and working on my graduate degree. I hate the idea of being judged because I like tattoo's. Oh well I suppose that isn't my problem. I keep mine covered for work out of respect for my position but when I'm on my own time watch out. 8) Don't judge a book by it's cover you will miss out.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Admiral

#1, I have lots of beautiful tattoos so my daughter can identify my remains if I get killed in a bad collision/plane crash that wipes my face and/or head away. #2, the pain I experienced getting tattooed wiped away some of the much greater pain I felt when my husband died of cancer, sister, etc. #3, I will continue getting tattooed until the day I die because they are beautiful and I love each and every one of mine. #4, I got my first tattoo when I was 60 years old. #5, I love tattoos so much, my license tag screams 'TATTOOS'. #6, Wish I had started when I was younger, my whole body would be covered in a beautiful suit. #7, Who cares if Dave The Wave or anyone else doesn't like Tattoos?? #8, Can't wait to get my next one, it hurts so good!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Admiral

To me tattoos (especially on women) are extremely unattractive. That's my opinion. To each his (or her) own. My daughter has five tattoos and she knows my thoughts on them-and her many piercings. My son (22) has the same opinion as I do. It's your body so you have to live with the consequences.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Barkingowl

Well this certainly wasn't what I thought this thread was going to be about. Most threads like this one on other boards have a few haters & a lot of pictures of tats. Some are good, some are bad. This is the first thread that I've seen that doesn't have any pics in it.

02/06 Carnival Liberty
01/05 Carnival Fascination
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Beginner

when flaming people with tattoos remember that you are flaming the majority of the military fighting over in iraq, firefighters putting out our fires, and police officers protecting and serving.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Admiral

"when flaming people with tattoos remember that you are flaming the majority of the military fighting over in iraq, firefighters putting out our fires, and police officers protecting and serving."

I personally think that your conclusions are assumptive rather than factual.

Regardless, I saw some personal opinions but didn't see flaming.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Beginner

read the thread again and replace the word tattoo with fat or ugly. it is human nature to judge, it takes some people their whole life not to be judgemental. and others will never learn.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Admiral

I did and you are still wrong.
Sprite, show me the survey.
Sorry
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Rinker,

Maybe my wording was off a little with the word "majority". My point was not to get into a statistical argument with someone. I was just trying to point out that there are alot of people doing good things that have tattoos. Someone mentioned would we elect a president that had a tattoo. Because the people in office without tattoos are doing such a good job? A person's character should not be based on they way they look, but they way they act.

As the old saying goes, "opinions are like A--h-les, everyone has one and they all stink".

With that said I did find some interesting reading

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/tattoopolicy.htm
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

MY point was that I saw no "flaming" in the thread.

Some folks don't like the tatts but I don't remeber anyone not liking people BECAUSE of the tatts
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Beginner

it is all about perception. should be agree to disagree? (:
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yeoman

Perception is a two way thing, maybe some should accept that when it comes to how others "do" perceive them. We are all human, and initial presentation is a big part of how we look at others and how "they" do or "do not fit" into others expectation.

But "body art" for me is a starter for 10, in that dilemma
Old March 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Tattoos are different for everyone...some see it as art, some to be different.

I had a really rough patch in my life, and my tattoo reminds me when I see myself repeating old behaviors of keeping myself strong. It's an Native American symbol that I altered myself.

But seriously...why would it bother my fellow passengers because I have a tattoo? Seems a little shallow to me.
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Yeoman

"But seriously...why would it bother my fellow passengers because I have a tattoo? Seems a little shallow to me."

Just a part of human makeup I'm afraid, just like how you have pre judged others eating in the dining room. What was it, deoderant and hygeine or something like that? Is that not shallow?
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I am with you Vic. What is up?? At the risk of being thrown overboard, I think they are tasteless, tacky and a permanent reminder of some drunken night. Young girls scarring their bodies. One discreet one here or there, OK, but it seems as though they can't stop at one. When I grew up, I never remember anyone other than bikers and ex-cons with tattoos. Did football stars have them? Did Larry Byrd ever have tattoss running down his arms? Did Michael Jordan ever have a tattoo? Is Dennis Rodman cool?

Trendy hairstyles can be changed, tattoos are forever. For God's sake, don't tattoo somebody's name on your body. What are you thinking???
Dave, I have a rule I never date a woman who has a tattoo bigger than a quarter on her body.

It takes thousands of dollars and many sessions with a doctor who has a laser to remove the tattoos.
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

Not that I'm getting old, but I never try to date a woman who once had a readable tat, that is now a 3D puzzle. And if you screw up your eyes enough and concentrate enough, thenyou might see it.

Far too many things moving out of perspective on that job, including my eye sight.

"Did you see my tattoo", sorry no at my age I had other things requiring that attention span and I'm not good at quizzes.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

My employers ( the Commissioners' Court ) requires all of the SWORN personnel to cover their tattoos, whether on the arms or whatever. Strangely enough, the clerks don't have to. I have four female clerks who have tattoos that are gross IMHO and I am embarrassed by them. I have spoken to my supervisor about it and she says it's ok because they are clerks.

I haven't been with anyone with a tattoo even my DF had a temporary one placed on her during our last cruise.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite725
Rinker,

Maybe my wording was off a little with the word "majority". My point was not to get into a statistical argument with someone. I was just trying to point out that there are alot of people doing good things that have tattoos. Someone mentioned would we elect a president that had a tattoo. Because the people in office without tattoos are doing such a good job? A person's character should not be based on they way they look, but they way they act.

As the old saying goes, "opinions are like A--h-les, everyone has one and they all stink".
I truly agree with you rememebr the saying dont judge a book by it cover alone.
my husband has a tatto of a cross and a rose and my neice who passed away had 2 nice tattos and when she passed on her mom went out and had the smae tatto done on her ankle in rememberance of her daughter. God looks at us on the inside not on our outward appearences. always remember that

With that said I did find some interesting reading

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/tattoopolicy.htm
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeoman

So we have the American military....the bastion of "body art" saying people who want "one", no longer "respresent" their country, so no longer do it...mmm

It must be bad if the military are saying "such art" is not socially acceptable, as it gives a "certain" reflecion of your country and it's people.

I never thought that the American military would actually make my point on acceptability on such a thing, nice one

Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Beginner

An interesting read on tattoos in the U.S. military:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

Mmm,,,an interesting article for more than one reason.

In my head I can remember every person that was in my unit(s) in various conflicts and what happened to us. Do I need to tat a memorial on my body for those I lost and still miss as friends, no…

I live them everyday in my head and the scenarios, what we encountered, and how it could have been different. Don’t need a tat to remind me, and I am a bit surprised at the article and what as soldiers this actually meant.

It's tooo Hollywood for me, others expectation of a "Marine"
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Admiral

I have worked very closely with Navy and Marine personnel for more than 28 years and have NEVER heard of the practice described in the article.

Maybe it just never came up in conversation.
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Admiral

I don't like tattoos, especially to excess, and would not hire anyone with one that showed. Tattooed women are a real turn off. IMHO

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a US Navy Vet. I have a tattoo from my days in the service. I was not drunk when I got it. I was not a stupid kid. I chose the emblem of my ship, I have it on my right lower leg, where it is easily hidden for professional reasons. I am proud of my service to my country and wear my tattoo as a badge of honor immortalizing that service. If you don't like my tattoo, don't look at it. I'll do you the same service by not looking at your beer bellies or bald heads.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Thasic,
You nailed it...all the way to your last comment.
"Bald head" is not a choice.

Thank you for your service.
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rinker250,

Ok, you got a point. You could wear a hat I suppose....how about beer bellies and flabby butts? Or beer bellies and poor taste in clothes? Suggestions???
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

You have a choice about a beer belly too. You weren't born with it. Drinking beer is OK, but get your arse up and run a few miles a day to compensate.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Admiral

thasic,
Re-read my post. I was agreeing with you.
Oh, to be perfect.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was agreeing with your agreement and attempting to alter my argument to something that was not by choice (other than the bald head thing). A beer belly is obviously a choice (as Dave is kind enough to point out) and, IMHO, far more offensive to look at than a tasteful tattoo. I was groping for additional examples of unattractive physical characteristics that were also choices, such as flabbiness in other areas, ie the buttocks.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneThatGotAway

Tattoo artists won't work on a drunk person. They will turn you around. As for tattoos looking tasteless, I think laying in the sun and looking like a cooked turkey at the age of 40 is even more of an offense! !

I have 3 tattoos and teach school. My students don't know I have a tattoo and most of my family members don't know I have them. Why? That are in places no one can see. I prefer to keep secrets.