CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   tattoos (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/307043-tattoos.html)

Vic from LV January 17th, 2006 04:29 PM

tattoos

Seems like tattoos are more popular than ever, and not just with sailors and felons. What is the attraction?

CA Cruiser January 17th, 2006 05:16 PM

According to the "young adults" I've talked to and asked they say it's "art" and a way of expressing themselves. Some are nice, cute and even tasteful but others are to far out there. One day these young ladies with them covering their arms will look back and say "What was I thinking"! Then again...maybe not.

Teresa

Dave the Wave January 17th, 2006 07:36 PM

I am with you Vic. What is up?? At the risk of being thrown overboard, I think they are tasteless, tacky and a permanent reminder of some drunken night. Young girls scarring their bodies. One discreet one here or there, OK, but it seems as though they can't stop at one. When I grew up, I never remember anyone other than bikers and ex-cons with tattoos. Did football stars have them? Did Larry Byrd ever have tattoss running down his arms? Did Michael Jordan ever have a tattoo? Is Dennis Rodman cool?

Trendy hairstyles can be changed, tattoos are forever. For God's sake, don't tattoo somebody's name on your body. What are you thinking???

TexasFyre January 17th, 2006 07:48 PM

I am one of those that has a tattoo. Why? Why not? It's not big, can be hidden, and it doesn't hamper my business side.

My I have family members who wear 4 to 5. I do agree with you on there is a limit, and some ladies just don't need to have them everywhere; like my sister and niece. Both of them are way overboard.

My husband has 4 BIG colorful ones, doesn't bother me. He is a computer geek who has his own business.

I guess it is a trend, no more so then foreign cars with big wings and an exhaust pipe that can house a family of 5 squirrels. The same goes with girls wearing jeans so low, their "parts" nearly show.

It's all a trend. And yes, tattoos can now be removed safely and really well.

Paul B January 17th, 2006 09:47 PM

The unfortunate thing is that if some young girl gets a rose tattooed on her breast, some day it may become a long stemed rose.

Live and let live, and you may live longer!

TexasFyre January 17th, 2006 09:52 PM

Or...If you get a unicorn on the lower back, by the ...uhm...Dimples...and you gain weight. It becomes a UniCow.

My sister has that. her daughter has the rose. ;)

belgique January 17th, 2006 10:27 PM

I manage a golf club and we do lots of weddings. Nothing can ruin the look of an otherwise beautiful bride than a tattoo on her shoulder, arm, ankle, or anywhere else that is visible.

I also have 3 or 4 waitresses in their 40's who have tattoos - they all regret getting them. One has a daughter that just got one and she is furious. I also love it when people say, "I got a tattoo but it's where no one will ever see it". Then they proceed to show you - duh, I just saw it.

Tattoos do not age well.

TexasFyre January 17th, 2006 11:10 PM

That is all true. I guess in this world, we all agree to disagree, unless it harms someone. I love my ink, glad I got it. I was 30 when I did, a birthday present to myself. I won't regret it, nor will I get another. It's all just personal tastes. :)

banker January 18th, 2006 12:06 AM

To each their own!

Personally I wouldn't get one, I don't like them. My kids ask about them and I do my best to explain that every generation thinks the younger generation is losing something, losing values, losing morals, losing standards, etc.

My truth is that every generation at a certain age rebels against the generation before it. Think back to every gap in generations and it's been about rebellion.

It will pass. It always does, hippies with the long hair etc (ugggg) are now the business executives and the sophisticated socialites and intellectuals.

Unfortunately, as Dave mentioned, tatoos are permanent. That's one rebellious thing that won't go away. Hopefully with technology in the future we can grow artificial skin on the back of a pig's ass or something in the future to cover it up.

banker

JeanS January 18th, 2006 12:59 AM

C'mon, Dave! Things change over the years...long hair, no hair, braids, dreadlocks tight jeans, baggy jeans, does anything REALLY reflect who you are???

I have six tatoos, never gotten while I was drunk. I work for the police department, dont' attend church, but I have more moral character than some of these "church-goers" will ever have. (not bragging, just that I would NEVER think of doing some of the things these people do who are forgiven weekly!) Also, none of mine can be seen unless I want them displayed...

More professional people are getting tattos....mine are cute and tasteful. You'd probably be shocked if you hung around a tattoo parlor and saw who is going in there....could be one of your friend's mothers....or their mother!

:wink:

venice January 18th, 2006 04:17 AM

I once dated a woman that had a tatoo with the name of one of her former boyfriends on her right b%^&*t ..she was not ashamed of it and indicated if she ever had a better lover then he was, she would tatoo his name on her other b^&*%t....I was young then and stupidly vain and did my best for immortality (VBG)

when my son who is now a fighter pilot was young to make sure he did not consider getting a tatoo, I made sure he watch the Richard Gere film "An Officer and A Gentleman" when Louis Gossett told Gere, "you can't be an officer and have a tatoo"...

for my vote it's a personal decision that you have to live with

paul1 January 18th, 2006 07:20 AM

I see nothing wrong with tattoos on either sex,I mean I don't think females should have them running down their arms.I have 7 myself all on my arms and not one was a drunk night after.in fact most tattoo parlors will not tattoo you if you have been drinking,1 due to the blood thining and the morning after phone call from some very unhappy person.

TexasFyre January 18th, 2006 08:52 AM

Thanks JeanS!

Okay, then lets look at it at another point of view. :D

Say your child, adult or otherwise, a family member, disappears, or kidnapped. What ever scenario, and the only lead they have is...a tattoo. More often then not, these body marks are originals. If it saved their life, Would it not be a good thing?

banker January 18th, 2006 01:45 PM

would you guys vote for a president who has a visible tattoo???

Come on, be honest....be honest with yourself.....would you?

Why not? because you want your leader to portray an image of an ideal person, to occupy such a high office. By the same logic then, we consider tattoos to be a little less than ideal. I personally agree with that.

But, not everyone out there is running for office, and like I said to each his own......

banker

TexasFyre January 18th, 2006 02:01 PM

Not only would i vote for a man OR woman with a tattoo, but Long hair and peace beads.

What a person has on them, doesn't make them who they are. I never, ever, judge a book by the cover, this goes for people too.

What about all our Soldiers over seas, in command of troops fighting? They have tattoos. Does this mean I wouldn't want them to keep my son safe while he fights?

Or maybe that person is driving a POS, so I better not trust him, he might be a criminal.

Now, can you see how that sounds? Would i trust a man running for president that had a tattoo? Yes, I would.

And this is the end of my posting here. Sorry, this is a touchy subject, and I will agree you have a disagreement.

Roscoe January 18th, 2006 02:54 PM

Somebody asks you to do some introspective thinking and rather than present an articulate argument as why it's a good thing, you get defensive and run off. Fair enough. It works for you but I would not vote for a presidential candidate who looked like he/she could not portray a professional image visually. That would go for body piercings too, other than the standard one ear ring in each ear for a female.

banker January 18th, 2006 03:18 PM

Fyre, that's cool, I respect that!

some of my closest friends disagree with me the most!!

and some of my adversaries are one's that look exactly like me!!

LOL

cheers,
banker

UConn1 January 18th, 2006 04:00 PM

Teddy Roosevelt had a tattoo.

J

Sailing gal January 18th, 2006 08:22 PM

Roscoe,
Looks like the important word there is that it is an image. The image is biased by your perspective and if you base it on a persons image then what is it saying about yourself.

venice January 18th, 2006 08:26 PM

little known history fact..our current president has a tatoo down his right arm and it says

"brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" (VBG)

Carole and Johnny January 18th, 2006 09:42 PM

I have none.

Husband has two (sober when he got both). His last one he got in 2001.

My son has 6. This same son of mine is defending our country! :)
I don't like a two of his tatoos, but I LOVE MY SON!

My nephew in law (a Marine who served in Iraq and Afghanistan) has a few tatoos and my niece (his wife) has one.

John's daughter (serving our country in the Navy) has one also.

Do I LIKE tatoos on woman, not usually. Do I like them on men? Within reason. The ones all over the arms I don't really care for. Does it change who the person is? NO!

paul1 January 19th, 2006 06:58 AM

so what if a president has a tattoo,does that make him or her any less qualified to be president?I don't think so.I have a job where I wear a tie to work and when it gets warm I roll up my sleeves 3 of my tattoo show,big deal I am still able to do my job.
I mean saying someone who has tatto's should not be president is like saying someone who is fat or has acne or any other thing that someone would think was offensive should not be president or hold many other jobs.but I guess everyone has right too their oppinion and we all know what they say about them.

Cruznut2 January 19th, 2006 07:51 AM

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to risk HIV, AIDS or serious infection from dirty needles. I know there are careful clean tattoo places out there. During Motorcycle Week here many "artists" show up with tents and set up for business. How sanitary can this be? All that risk for something gross and ugly.

Laura

Eaky77 January 20th, 2006 04:17 PM

I don't have any.... My father has always put the fear in me "Get a tatoo, and you are out of the house." I am now 28 years old, and have lived out of his house for more that 8 years.
My husband has 9 tatoos. He made a promise to his mother when he was 18 that he would never get any that he couldn't cover up.
I love the look of a nicely done tatoo. I don't think I would ever get one, just because my father would be disappointed, and that would hurt me more than anything.
I don't think a tatoo makes or breaks a person. I know many people who have had a child die, and the put a memorial of them on their skin...so they always have them with you. It's a to each his own type of thing... they really are beautiful, when done right!

Erin

Julia Price January 20th, 2006 09:51 PM

My friend, a big environmentalist, had the toxic waste symbol tattooed on the middle of her lower back in an attempt at that self-expression tattoo fans are always talking about. She didn't even realize the "message" the symbol and its placement conveyed until her friends all died laughing.

Thomas January 21st, 2006 07:07 PM

I don't have one and will never get one. However, I have many employees who do and I can tell you one thing about my perspective on some of these employees.

One individual has them all over his arms, neck, legs, back, etc. He is a sharp guy and probably capable of being a manager. However, if he worked for me in my former corporate job I could never nominate him for a managerial position because of his tatoos. The tatoos sticking out from his collared shirt and suit coat and wrists and hands would detract from the image he needs. You see, when he attends corporate meetings with clients and customers he's representing the company and he has an image to uphold. He's just not representing himself, he's representing the corporation and every employee who is part of that corporation.

Likewise, he couldn't represent the company image if he had waste length hair and a scraggly beard. Or if he was wearing a skirt and tank top. Having the image is also an important part of the job.

Regards,
Thomas

pg. January 22nd, 2006 12:18 AM

I don't have a tattoo, and wouldn't get one. I also have a friend who has a nice little one on her ankle. I think it is cute, but, it is faded and starting to look not so cute, she has to have it recolored I think.

I have no opinion on tattoos on a person, but, if truly honest, I must say I don't like the look of some of them, a girl at work had a butt ugly one on her calf. A really deformed looking mermaid, at least a foot long. She looks gross in a skirt.
I also think covering the whole body is stupid looking, but, hey the person could be really nice , so if that is their thing so be it.

I don't really know how this thread qualifies as a " gripe" because how on earth can you gripe about someone elses appearence, I mean , how does it affect your holiday if someone had a tattoo!?

JeanS February 1st, 2006 05:54 AM

Pleeeeease Venice! You base your life on what you hear in the movies???

God forbid Tom Cruise were to designate MY life!!!! :-?

LisaK February 1st, 2006 09:56 AM

i have a very pretty tattoo - a colorful butterfly on my shoulder blade. it was my gift to myself on my 40th birthday. I don't blatanly show it off, but i don't hesitate to wear a formal halter or backless dress and have yet had anyone show open disgust or pass-out because they gazed upon my pretty butterfly.
Everything in moderation.

TheDMan February 1st, 2006 10:31 AM

I got my first tat when I was 21 and just got my second one about a month ago, I am 37. Both of the ones I have mean something to me and they are very personal. If you don't like tatoos that's fine.

Also I want to say that tatoo artists take safety very seriously. Even when they travel and set up "tent shops" they have all of there sterilization equipment. So I'm not worried in the least about an artist using a dirty needle.